First trip to FW this week if possible

I am looking at making a last minute trip to FW end of this week. Could someone tell me if its possible to make a reservation 1 or 2 days before arrival? I cant make far out plans due to work. We would probably stay Thursday thru Wednesday.

Also, I have been reading this forum for several months now. Any new advice for a first time camper at FW? We have a SUV and a small PUP. I had decided on trying to get a spot on 1500 due to location. But, I may have to get a pet loop if my stepson has to bring his small dog.

We took our DS7 to WDW in 2010 for one day. Im looking at getting a five day pass to the 4 main parks. Any opinions on tickets?

My stepson is 27. Anything for older kids to do around DW? I saw some info on a downtown area somewhere.

Thanks,

Joshua

First of :welcome: . Glad you decided to come out of lurkdom and join us. As a former lurker I can tell you posting and asking questions , or just commenting on other posts is even more fun!

Not sure of the answer to your question but I would think as long as they have a site available you should have no problem. I'd just go ahead and call the worse they can say is sorry were full. :)

My stepson has no adventure in him at all. Plus, he has an injured leg right now so he cant do alot of walking. I figure he will be sitting around the PUP drinking beer half the time.

I have read you can drink at FW, but is there any rules against walking around/looping with alcohol?

Joshua

Joshua,

:yay: Glad to hear you ventured into the posting portion of FF. You won't regret this move, although be prepared for unrelenting gags, giggles, and get-away advice from this group. They're quite a handful but, oh, so lovable... :heart:

As for advice, I'll leave that up to the experts. Just be sure and drag your stepson off to Epcot for a bier. Rent a scooter for the day, and let 'em travel the world!!! (Someone here will probably have a way to save $$ on that rental too)

Welcome!

:doublebeer:

I asked about last minute booking because its like a 20 minute wait just to get an operator on the phone just to ask a question.

Are the partial loops (1500/2000) completely pet free? Anyway I could sneak in a little dog 5lbs? Haha. I hate to pay an extra $25-30 a night for full hookup pet.

Joshua

I may go ahead and book a full hookup pet site for two reasons;

1. for my stepsons dog (dont want the po po to get me my first visit to FW)

2. for my DS7, all he wants to do is pet dogs (last trip to the Keys he would chase people down the street to rub their dog)

If we stay in a pet area he would be closer to the dog action

Joshua

Welcome Joshua!

I think it's smart to book the full hookup pet. Last thing you want is the PoPo to make you board the little one -- which will cost you a good chunk of change at the new kennel.

Consumption of alcoholic beverages by adults of legal age is indeed allowed at the Fort. Although none of us here have ever done it...

:rofl2:

You can even scoot on down to the Settlement/Marina area with a cold beverage and lounge on the beach or pull up a rocker on the porch of Trails End - where there's also a take out window to Crockett's Tavern. :)

Drinking on the cart...

Keep in mind that while you are inside a resort/campground, there's a fair amount of traffic about - including the big Disney buses that make the loops through the main roads all day and much of the night; kids on bikes; the odd car and loads of pedestrian traffic (including kids that have a tendency to just run in front of golf carts sometimes). Be safe out there. :)

Plus Fort PoPo are allegedly cracking down on this and reckless cart driving in general.

Hope your reservation pans out and you have a great trip!

My stepson has no adventure in him at all. Plus, he has an injured leg right now so he cant do alot of walking. I figure he will be sitting around the PUP drinking beer half the time.

I have read you can drink at FW, but is there any rules against walking around/looping with alcohol?

Joshua

Welcome, Joshua-

I wanted to make sure you got the correct info about looping with alcohol:

Here are the official rules:

newfwgolfcartrulesp2001.jpg

The third bullet point under General Vehicle Rules tells us that the driver of the golf cart is not allowed to have an open container of alcohol. That would suggest that passenges can have open containers. There is no rule at all against walking around with an open container.

From time to time, they have castmembers that they call rangers driving around and spot-enforcing the rules. I have seen them ask folks driving golf carts to dump their drinks.

From time to time, there are real Sheriff's deputies in the Fort. I have heard that you could be issued a real traffic ticket for driving a golf cart with an open container of alcohol, but I have no personal knowledge of that ever happening.

TCD

Oh as far as availability, when I tried to extend in a Full Hookup through Sunday, they said Fri and Sat were fully booked, BUT it looks like folks see availability this weekend on the website, so perhaps something has opened up. It turns out I really need to leave Friday anyway.

At Halloween one of the Rangers stoped us coming out of the little path that leads to the main road and ask us whose drink was in the cup holder (we just had drinks at TE and I didnt finish my Daquiri) DH (whom was driving) told the gentlemen that it was mine, the gentlemen giggled and said to my DH.. "yea.. you dont look like the daquiri type.."

moral of the story.. they do enforce the rule, but in a very reasonable manner IMHO, I'd prefer those loud unruly drunks not be allowed to drive around while drinking.. ecspecially if they have dabbled in punch.. Even if I was one of the loud unruly ones, I'm smart enough to know I'd be a menace to society if armed with a golf cart :P

Ended up in Site 1604. Good site near CS. I faxed in a request like provided on this site.

Has not been a good start to our stay. First night (Sat) in FW we had to get an ambulance to take my wife to hospital due to flu/virus conditions (really bad) and she stayed overnight. Thankfully she came back this morning and is doing better. We havent started using our tickets yet. Once we do they expire in 14 days and I dont know what we are going to do.

Movie night with Chip n Dale was cold tonight.

Joshua

I'm sorry your trip got off to a rough start. How many days did you buy? If your concern is that you are going to lose a day or two, you can also decide if purchasing the nonexpiring option is good for you. Although, you may discover that in reality you will be losing $10 - 15 dollars or less if you let those days you don't use expire.

Sorry to hear about the start of your trip Joshua. Glad that your wife is feeling better. Hope that you can enjoy the rest of your trip and Matthew gets to pet a lot of pups. :)