FW with no park tickets?

Hi everyone- brand new member and I have a question. (The first of thousands I'm sure!) :) We are buying a camper and picking it up in Orlando hopefully in the middle of April. Of course, while we are there, I want to swing by FW for a few days. We probably won't be able to afford park tickets, so it will be more of just enjoying FW and learning how to use our new camper. Also I figured it could be a good idea because that way if we have any problems with the camper we can take it back to the dealer in Orlando and get it taken care of before we start back home (Atlanta area). I have already made reservations at FW for the week we are hopefully picking up the camper, and I will change/add/drop days if I need to. But I need tips on what there is to do at Fort Wilderness if we don't go to the parks at all. It looks like it's going to be warm in April, so I'm sure we will enjoy the pool! And I know about the campfire and movie with Chip and Dale. Any other hints? Also Down Town Disney? I figure there has to be some cool stuff for us to do there too. :) So, let the tips roll in! (Or links to other threads on this subject would be welcome- I tried to search but couldn't find anything.) We were last at WDW two years ago, and it was an extremely scheduled event- up at 6:30, at every park at opening, back to the hotel after the fireworks. It was the most fun we've ever had in our lives, but definitely not relaxing! This time I'm thinking more of a relaxing trip will be fun and we can just enjoy stuff at our leisure. However, we definitely want to make sure we see and do everything that FW has to offer! Thanks!!!

First 12245.gif We stay at the Fort and rarely go to the parks, During our stays we make sure to see the Electric Water Pageant. We also love to resort hop.Nothing like a boat ride/monorail ride to the Polynesian for a dole whip and watch the fireworks. We also love to play mini golf. At the Fort specific you have many options, the HDDR is always a fun time. You can also do a segway tour or a trail ride.

I'm sure you be getting lots more tips. Have a great time and enjoy your new camper!!

Visit the horse barn, take a stroll over to the Wilderness Lodge, visit other resorts.

For example, last week, I went to DTD and went to lunch at House of Blues, then I strolled over to Saratoga Springs, then I took a bus over to the TreeHouse Villas, then walked back to Saratoga Springs, then took a bus to MK, then took a Monorail around Seven Seas Lagoon, then took a boat to the Fort. That was an entire afternoon of quiet strolling enjoying the beauty of WDW, just for the cost of a burger at HoB.

:insanity: Don't forget to stop by the introduce yourself thread.

What they said. Also resort hop, Fort Wilderness lodge is really neat to go walk and look around. There are several others to visit too. Check out the lobbies and shops. Firework (no s in tribute to the WWW) viewing from the Polynesian is recommended by several. Take pictures, the detail on buildings and areas even outside the parks is neat.

Crap forgot to mention.. MEET SOME FIENDS. Always a great way to spend some time. :)

Edited by Gots2pitt.. Jeff

Welcome and congrats on the new camper!!

One of our favorite Fort things to do is grab a Giddyap n' Go chicken takeout from Trails End and head to the beach for a picnic.

We also enjoy watching the fireworks and Electrical Water Pageant at the beach as well.

It's also a nice boat ride to WL and Contemp to poke around.

Another fun, inexpensive "see (some) of the World without park tix"is the monorail tour (and don't listen to Lou when he comes on here to poo-poo it LOL)

Boat to Contemp, monorail to Poly... grab a Dole Whip at Capt. Cook's (a must in my book), enjoy on the beach then monorail or walk to TTC and take the Epcot monorail loop around and back.

Monorail to Grand Floridian - maybe have a beverage at Mizner's lounge - monorail back to Contemp, boat to Fort.

Depending on the park schedules, you could probably schedule that to watch Wishes from either Poly beach (very nice) or Grand

Enjoy and good luck with the inaugural voyage!

Welcomepic_28-1.gif

Do you have children? There are three nice playgrounds to visit. Take sand toys and play at the beach. There are also afternoon games/crafts at the pool for kids. There are pony rides for small children at the stables or horseback trail rides for big kids. Watch the blacksmith shoe the horses. Check out the calliope in the horsebarn and watch some of the horses get a bath and get groomed. Get a take out pizza or Giddy-Up-And-Go meal from Trails End take-out and sit at the beach to watch fireworks. Sit in a rocking chair at Crockett's and people-watch. Play tennis at the courts by the pool. Bring your fishing poles and dip a line in the water (remember to save some chicken skin for bait !!). Bring bikes...FW is a great place for biking and you can bike the trail over to Wilderness Lodge too. Rent a canoe or one of the sea-sprites at the marina. You can go para-sailing from the Contemporary. These are just some things at FW. Like the others said...there are many other things to do at DTD or exploring other resorts and riding buses, boats and monorails.

Holy mackerel, you guys are fast!!! :) Yes, resort hopping sounds awesome! That's exactly the kind of tips I was hoping for! We do have two kids- Girl age 6, boy age 4. I guess I need to start compiling a list of "free" things to do. Never had a Dole Whip. Adding that to the list. :) I didn't think about fireworks at the resorts- I did know we should see the Electric Water Pageant. Is there a link somewhere to help me figure out all of this stuff? (Resort firework schedules, etc.) I hate to keep asking questions if I can figure it out on my own without bothering everyone! :) Also, didn't even know there was a beach- thanks for the sand toy tip! Now I'm off to introduce myself on the new members thread, and start making a list of all the stuff we'll need to bring with us to get our camper set up properly. That's the only negative I can think of of camping for real (without driveway camping first) with a brand new camper. But I'm pretty OCD when I'm excited about something, so I hopefully won't forget too much stuff. And if I do, I figure there's always Wal-Mart. :D

I think FW is the most excellent place for a shake down trip in a new camper.

But I'm pretty OCD when I'm excited about something, so I hopefully won't forget too much stuff. And if I do, I figure there's always Wal-Mart. :D

There is also a Camping World close by.

Welcome and I can tell you we have made many trips without park tickets and had a hard time finding time to just kick back and relax. There is so much to do and much of it is free.

In addition to what has already been mentioned, there are organized activities for children every day at the pool. These include games, crafts and dance parties.

If there is any way you can do so, bring bikes and/or scooters for your family.

Also, you can borrow basketballs, volleyballs, tennis and shuffleboard equipment from the Bike Barn for free (you just need to show your resort ID).

TCD

Some info links that might be helpful...

Typical Activities Guide for the Fort - this is February, but they don't change a ton. We should have March up soon and usually have the current month up the first week of the month.

Beach

SITE MAP (the guide to pretty much all the standard info we have posted)

Fireworks schedule varies. Be sure to pick up a Times Guide for the Magic Kingdom when you check in - it'll be in there.

Please post pics and maybe a video of the EWP for Lou...it's his fav.

And ditto to what everyone else said. Our favorite Disney days are often Fort days.

WELCOME TO FF AND HAVE A GREAT TRIP

AND CONGRATS ON THE CAMPER!!!

I found a thread that seemed to be pretty all-inclusive as far as what to buy to get our camper packed. (Dishes, can openers, etc.) The only thing I'm still working on is what kind of camper/type stuff we'll have to buy. I know we'll need a weight distributing hitch, a brake controller, and a hitch ball. Other than that I'm not positive. I guess extra water hoses or something? I just don't know what it will come with and what we will still need to get. Fortunately I have weeks to figure that out. :) And thanks for all of the above suggestions! Adding them to the list! Off to check out the posted links. Thanks everyone!!!

Here are some of the outside things you need......

At least 25 ft of RV water hose, either white or blue

A water pressure reducer

At least 25 ft of RV sewer hose (the stinky slinky), and the elbow thing that goes in the sewer

An RV extension cord (sometimes your electrical connection is a ways off)

Get a stablizer socket for your electric drill. Will save your back on raising and lowering the stabilizers

Some leveling blocks/boards or a leveling system of some kind (Not necessary for the Fort)

Wheel chocks

Some stake outs for the awning to help keep it secure

Some tacky lights and other decorative gegaws, your choice or pleasure

An outside rug

Outside chairs

A large extreme cooler for the softdrinks and beverages. The camper fridge is NEVER big enough.

A hitch lock

Also for your tow vehicle, check to see if there is a charge line and isolator running from your vehicle battery to your trailer connection. This keeps the trailer battery charging while traveling, so you can run the fridge while on the road. The isolator stops the charging when you turn off the ignition, so you don't run your vehicle battery down.

Also, if you can't leave the trailer plugged up when in storage, get a battery cutoff switch installed so you can turn off the battery when not in use. All campers have some parasitic drain on the battery even when everything is turned off, and draining the battery completely is not good for it.

Oh, also find out what fuses the thing uses and purchase a selection and keep them in a drawer somewhere, and also light bulb, buy a few of those and keep them in a drawer somewhere.

A small set of tools, wrenches, allen wrenches, screwdrivers, hammer, etc.

I also purchased a torque wrench to keep the lug nuts on the tires where they are supposed to be.

Some folks carry a jack for tire changing. Most trailers DO NOT come with one.

Keep a headlamp flashlight in your glove box for arriving at the campsite after dark, and also a lightweight pair of gloves.

Air pressure gauge.

Heavy duty extension cord.... longer than you think you'll ever need.

Door mat to for outside to help keep the dirt down inside - camping mats are great, but something to actually wipe your shoes off on is even more helpful.

Surge protector

Broom - good for inside cleaning, sweeping off your outside mat and even cleaning off your awning if needed

take at least a 30 foot cable line if your RV has TV. cheaper to buy and carry with you than at the RV place.

The Fort's boxes are not uniform in length and a 25 foot coaxle cable from the Meadow's will be 2-3X as much as Wally World.