February family time at the Fort

It's taken me longer than expected to sit down and get this report started. We've been home for two full weeks but it seems much longer. It's amazing how non-WDW time drags and miraculously speeds up when you're there!

This trip was planned during Christmas. The military ticket offer had reset and this was the third time we've taken advantage of this promotion. It also means we have to travel with my DH's family. Traveling with family vs. the two of us means very different trips and experiences but both are fun!

My in-laws and sister & brother-in-law drove down Friday afternoon and stayed through Thursday. We came on Monday and left on Saturday. This trip would be extra special because it was our first time camping with the new pop-up.

Here's me in the car. I got the camera for Christmas and finally sat down and read the book during the drive. You also see my fleece tie pillow I made with my 7th graders in Home Ec class.

DSC_0657.jpg

I had sent a request for the 1500 loop, near the comfort station but not too close to the bus station.

Here we are set up in 1503. Better than 1501 I guess :))

DSC_0666.jpg

DSC_0667.jpg

I went with my MIL to show her the Meadows area

DSC_0670.jpg

DSC_0671.jpg

DSC_0673.jpg

DSC_0674.jpg

DSC_0675.jpg

DSC_0676.jpg

DSC_0677.jpg

DSC_0678.jpg

We had planned on Ohana for dinner. Back in December I made an ADR for the upcoming Friday. Some plans got changed and we had to cancel it and I wasn't able to get another. We were going to drive to the Poly and be in the standby line when they opened at 5pm. I remembered sometimes they close the parking lot on holidays. I didn't know if President's Day warranted a reservation only policy but I didn't want to take any chances. I used my beloved Iphone and made a Kona reservation. The guard didn't give us any trouble and I canceled the ADR. Don't worry--we'll come back later in the week!

DSC_0681.jpg

This is where you line up for stand-by. We got into line at 4:45 and were the third group. They came out and did their thing about how we weren't guaranteed anything, they were all booked up, and we could be waiting for hours for nothing. 5:30 comes and we had a window table.

DSC_0682.jpg

Ohana was great as usual other than the price tag.

DSC_0691.jpg

DSC_0690.jpg

DSC_0692.jpg

DSC_0697.jpg

We stayed at the Poly for a few hours and then visited the pool

DSC_0704.jpg

DSC_0708.jpg

DSC_0715.jpg

DSC_0714.jpg

It was windy and chilly. This is what I did while my DH alternated between the pool and hot tub. The area music was on (and you could hear it without the afternoon party music...) and set the mood for our relaxing Fort week to begin. We turned in at 10 and rested up for our early morning the next day.

DSC_0725.jpg

I've found the first morning is always the easiest to wake up early and get going. It was SIL&BIL's last day and we let them decide our park. Studios rope drop for Toy Story was their first choice.

I had to stop by the front desk for new key cards (two separate reservations, a bit annoying) and we were parked by 7:50. I had read that Studios was starting to open unadvertised at 8:30 and our family confirmed that based on an earlier day. However on that morning, they opened the gates at 8:45 and let the mad rush to Toy Story begin.

DSC_0727.jpg

DSC_0728.jpg

DSC_0735.jpg

DSC_0737.jpg

DSC_0739.jpg

DSC_0741.jpg

DSC_0742.jpg

We ended up being able to do Toy Story three times that morning. We also did RnRC, ToT, and Star Tours (the kid they picked for rebel spy wasn't even looking at the camera when it was snapped. All we saw was the top of a hat)

Studios is a half day park for us so we took a friendship boat to Epcot.

I was hurrying to the boat and couldn't get the front of this display...

DSC_0747.jpg

DSC_0748.jpg

DSC_0750.jpg

DSC_0753.jpg

We didn't have an agenda in Epcot and wondered around the Showcase.

DSC_0759.jpg

DSC_0763.jpg

We saw the candy art show for the first time. I'm against candy that's not edible.

DSC_0764.jpg

DSC_0766.jpg

DSC_0768.jpg

However, I am not against school bread for Norway. It was awesome!

DSC_0781.jpg

Things were already mostly set up for the Flower and Garden Festival. This was on February 21

DSC_0770.jpg

DSC_0772.jpg

DSC_0774.jpg

DSC_0775.jpg

DSC_0777.jpg

DSC_0780.jpg

DSC_0782.jpg

DSC_0784.jpg

DSC_0785.jpg

I won't be visiting the festival this year so I'm eagerly awaiting a report for those who are going!

You are off to a great start!

I am also a fan of site 1503- I would take that one every time if they gave it to me. I love all of the room between that site and the comfort station.

I looks like you did get to see a lot of the flowers for the garden festival. But, they have definitely added and moved things since then. For example, the Lady and the Tramp topiaries that you took a photo of have been moved across the walkway and set up in front of the Italy pavilion and a bunch of flowers have been added all around those.

TCD

Awesome pictures!!! You scored a GREAT site. 1503 is my favorite site in that loop!!

You are off to a great start!

I am also a fan of site 1503- I would take that one every time if they gave it to me. I love all of the room between that site and the comfort station.

I looks like you did get to see a lot of the flowers for the garden festival. But, they have definitely added and moved things since then. For example, the Lady and the Tramp topiaries that you took a photo of have been moved across the walkway and set up in front of the Italy pavilion and a bunch of flowers have been added all around those.

TCD

The site turned out to be very nice with no neighbors on the right. We had 1501 one time and it seemed too noisy. The bus noises are starting to grow on me though. And it's nice to look down the road at the 1600-1900 stop and see the bus coming so I can yell for my slow family to hurry up ^_^

Here you go! :))

Feb2012Fort226.jpg

I love all your fort pictures, and the pop-up looks great!

Thanks for completing the set! I'll have interior shots later.

Love all the pictures and I really like the way your awning works on the pop up, not like ours did where you had to wrestle with the polls.

One of the polls broke so my DH got to play MacGyver again.

Luv the pics sounds like you had a magical time!!

This is one of the prettiest pictures I've seen of the Fort pool. The color is awesome!

Fun TR -- love the pic of the flowers and Spaceship Earth.

Great TR!! I love the pictures.

The pictures you took are beautiful!

I'm glad you're enjoying the pictures. It's either auto mode & no-flash mode--I can't wait till I actually learn how to use it :))

I know I have been MIA lately with this report--all with good reason! I have a second job two nights a week and I've started training for some 5ks. I've never been a runner but it's always something I've wanted to do. WDW was setting up for the Princess Marathon while we were visiting and something just clicked; I want to be involved with runDisney. I came home, asked a co-worker to be my training partner, and we signed up for the Expedition Everest Challenge in May. Go big or go home, right??

I know I have been MIA lately with this report--all with good reason! I have a second job two nights a week and I've started training for some 5ks. I've never been a runner but it's always something I've wanted to do. WDW was setting up for the Princess Marathon while we were visiting and something just clicked; I want to be involved with runDisney. I came home, asked a co-worker to be my training partner, and we signed up for the Expedition Everest Challenge in May. Go big or go home, right??

We take what we can get :) good luck on the Expedition Everest Challenge. Keep training.

Still Day 1!---We visited about half of the countries and had to take the boat back to HS to get our car. That's a long trek in the afternoon after a full day! We made it back to the Fort and took a 3 hour nap. Our dinner? Our first ever GAG! We've had the single meals before but I'm still amazed how great of a value it is! The biscuits were not good unfortunately; cornbread next time.

MK was our evening park. We arrived around 8 and here's the atmosphere

DSC_0789.jpg

DSC_0792.jpg

DSC_0793.jpg

We visited a few attractions before joining the horde in the hub: Pirates (NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY ALLOWED...thanks CM, I know), Tiki room (first time since the fire and remodel, much better), Jungle Cruise (I try to avoid this but always manage to visit with people who LOVE it...at least our skipper made some humorous pop culture jokes).

DSC_0795.jpg

DSC_0796.jpg

DSC_0812.jpg

DSC_0813.jpg

DSC_0821.jpg

DSC_0822.jpg

DSC_0827.jpg

Afterwards we tried to run through the exit crowd to Splash (tried to travel light this visit and had to endure wet butt in jeans <_< ) and the Haunted Mansion. DH had us go through the new interactive queue--I wasn't too impressed with it. Maybe there were some elements I missed though.

Somehow we ended up in Tomorrowland for the People Mover and Buzz. Bed time was 1am and all in all, a very long first day.

Our second day was not as productive--no alarm was set and we slowly made our way to Epcot around 11am. We did the travel trio--bus, boat, and monorail. For some reason this visit we didn't feel like driving to the parks. Taking the monorail to Epcot really makes you aware of how much land is actually available for development. If they'd stop building DVC, we could possibly see a 5th park!

DSC_0832.jpg

Some clearing was taking place on some of the lake & lagoon islands. I'll have closer pictures later.

DSC_0835.jpg

DSC_0838.jpg

DSC_0842.jpg

DSC_0845.jpg

DSC_0850.jpg

DSC_0851.jpg

DSC_0854.jpg

DSC_0857.jpg

DSC_0858.jpg

DSC_0860.jpg

I'm really curious how that Dasani bottle ended up on the roof...

DSC_0861.jpg

Our main goal in Epcot was to finish the rest of the showcase. We had arrived too late for any practical fastpasses. We started in Mexico and shared nachos from the new counter service place. I would recommend them! The mariachi band came out while we were dining and it was great.

DSC_0870.jpg

We waited too long (20min) for the Norway boat and walked around to Germany. We rode the friendship boat across the lagoon for the first time and then decided to go back to the Fort. The in-laws stayed because it was their last park day. We made a trip to Walgreens and came back to go swimming. We had just parked back at our site and changed when Lou arrived! I had told TCD our travel dates and he asked Lou to come and spike us. It was wonderful to meet him. He's great and gives so much of his time and support for the Fiends...thanks Lou! Now I just have to decide how to display my new piece of history.

I loved being right across from the Meadows for easy access to the pool, store, and Mickey bars! We stayed out for maybe an hour before the weather started changing. I know Carol mentioned this storm in her WWW report. We decided to stay put for the rest of the night. Our gourmet dinner was Easy Mac. Bleh.

Great report so far! And I wholeheartedly agree with you on the nachos. In fact I have a picture of the nachos as the screen saver on my phone. Sitting by the water there with nachos and a cold Dos Equis...my happy place!

I have to share what I did today---I booked our third anniversary trip on the Disney Fantasy! We will be doing a 7 night Western Caribbean itinerary.

On some dates they are offering the restricted room categories and you can save a lot this way! The fare is non-refundable and you cannot select your room number, you are just guaranteed a room in whatever category you pick.

So if you're on the fence about a Disney cruise, look into this offer. Imagine going on a 7 night trip on a new ship (it doesn't launch till the end of this month) for less $$ than some of the rates for 4/5 nights on the Dream.

It should be a fun report to write :)

I have to share what I did today---I booked our third anniversary trip on the Disney Fantasy! We will be doing a 7 night Western Caribbean itinerary.

On some dates they are offering the restricted room categories and you can save a lot this way! The fare is non-refundable and you cannot select your room number, you are just guaranteed a room in whatever category you pick.

So if you're on the fence about a Disney cruise, look into this offer. Imagine going on a 7 night trip on a new ship (it doesn't launch till the end of this month) for less $$ than some of the rates for 4/5 nights on the Dream.

It should be a fun report to write :)

That is awesome!!! We are going on the Fantasy (Western Carribbean) in April 2013. We did select our cabin, but booked on the first day 2013 rates came out, and also had a Castaway Club discount code, so I'm thinking we got a pretty good deal too.