Error Message: TCD's Spring Break 2012 Trip Report!

If you've been to Disneyland and the Golden Horseshoe there you know exactly what is missing from WDW and the Diamond Horseshoe!

Billy Hill and the Hillbillies!

Let's start lobbying now . . .

Join me in my chant . . .

We want the Billies!

Wow! That must be a good show! I deleted some of your chanting for the sake of space.

I have never been to Disneyland, and have never heard of Billy.

I LOVED Billy and the Hillbillies

Hmmm.

An endorsement from Carol.

That carries some weight around here.

Great Mist over...... shots.

Crow butt? Fantastic!!

If crow butt is not your favorite, I can't even imagine how good your favorite really is! The suspense is killing me!

I agree that sleep is overrated. I will get enough sleep when I'm dead.

Atta Girl!

And yes, the next shot is better than the Crow Butt shot.

You will see.

This is Billy Hill & the Hillbillies!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.c...bed/nmzrOf3Ogms" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry about the hijack Andrew . . .

(Dang . . . sure wish I knew how to embed this stuff)

Gary-

You should know by now that there is no need to apologize for any hijacking of a TCD trip report.

I am enjoying hearing about the Diamond Horseshoe.

And, about Billy.

I think this is how you embed a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmzrOf3Ogms&feature=related

Just put the link there, and it embeds itself. At least it does for me.

I haven't watched the whole video yet, as it is long, but I think that I would love to see this show live.

Disregard previous pics....

Here they are!!

100_0222.jpg

100_0223.jpg

100_0224.jpg

Good pics, Carol.

This is Disneyland, right?

Did this group ever play at the Diamond Horseshoe?

TCD

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the trip report that almost didn't happen. The TCD gang finally hit the Fort for a stay from March 24th through the 27th. Everything was going great until the morning of the 27th when TCD Twin

Since I have some momentum going here, and a bit of time, you are going to get another update. Right now. How's that for everyone? On other boards, you have to wait for days for an update. But not her

You must have rushed if you were only at Tea for three hours. We spent 7 hours, not to shabby one hour hour per lady fiend!!

My dh is going to Pumpkintown, SC this Friday night to hear some good hillbilly music. I don't think they will wearing overalls, though.

Okay, this post is really just to boost my post count and mark my place in the TR. But I couldn't resist the temptation to mention Pumpkintown in a post.

My dh is going to Pumpkintown, SC this Friday night to hear some good hillbilly music. I don't think they will wearing overalls, though.

Okay, this post is really just to boost my post count and mark my place in the TR. But I couldn't resist the temptation to mention Pumpkintown in a post.

I understand.

If I knew someone who was going to Pumpkintown, I would mention it too.

I hope he has a great time there!

Yep, Disneyland..... was there in August of 2008

OK- I thought so, but I wasn't sure if this act ever played in WDW.

I think the live show was long gone from the Diamond Horeshoe by 2008.

But, I know they did some kind of meet and greet with Woody and Jesse and maybe Bullseye from Toy Story in there at some point.

TCD

If you were hoping that this would be one of those days where there is more than one update (i.e. you are not DaveinTN) then today is your lucky day.

Because, here comes today's second update.

We left off on the Fort dock looking over at those boats on Discovery Island.

When I turned to the east, I was treated to this awesome view.

I call this photo Sunrise over Bay Lake:

IMG_0517.jpg

How do you like that?

I love it!

What a sight!

Again, you needed to be there to really appreciate it.

Isn't it interesting that all of the photos we looked at in the last post were taken before the sun had really risen.

This resort boat was lit gently by the light of the sun which was about to burst over the trees:

IMG_0519.jpg

From here, I headed over to take a look around Crockett's Tavern and Pioneer Hall.

This cardinal was perched on the post outside of the arcade entrance. I call this photo cardinal and bird poop on a post:

IMG_0528.jpg

The azeleas bloomed early at the Fort this year, but there were still some flowers left on these right under the rocking chairs on the porch:

IMG_0529.jpg

Early in this report, I shared some photos showing that there were now picnic tables where the bike rack and barrels of fun used to be across from the entrance to Trail's End.

We saw that the barrels were moved over to near the DVC kiosk.

But what about the bike racks?

What happened to them?

Here's one (and a bonus bunny who jumped into the shot) :

IMG_0530.jpg

I don't know where the rest of the bike racks are.

I can't imagine that this one is going to stay here. The carriage rides come through here. If that thing was full of bikes, it could be a problem.

Here we are looking toward the marina and Bay Lake from Crockett's Porch, This is another of my favorite views at the Fort:

IMG_0531.jpg

Speaking of picnic tables, there did not used to be so many over there by the playground:

IMG_0532.jpg

I wonder what is up with all the new picnic tables scattered around the Settlement area?

Here's a shot of the rising sun hitting the top of Pioneer Hall:

IMG_0534.jpg

There is a long standing challenge that I must find a way to get up to that very top deck on Pioneer Hall. So far, I have not figured out how to get up there.

I figured I needed to get a photo of the Lawnmower Tree, as you never know how much longer it will be here:

IMG_0535.jpg

That stump on the left is all that remains of the Lawnmower Tree.

I recently posted some copies of some old FW documents which explain the story of the Lawnmower Tree. Since a lot of people read TCD Trip Reports, and not as many read other threads here, you may have missed it. If you did, here's a link to the thread, make sure you take a look at what these documents say about the Lawnmower tree:

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/5922-cool-fort-wilderness-documents-from-1973/

Over there on Bay Lake, we can see one of the big MK ferries heading out for the day:

IMG_0536.jpg

I like how that boat seems to be glowing out there on the lake.

There is only one cart parked here in the golf cart parking area:

IMG_0537.jpg

It seems like I am one of the few early birds out and about this morning.

Here's a look at the rental boats, with Discovery Island in the background, along with the ferry and a resort boat, too:

IMG_0538.jpg

If you like boats, there are a lot of them in this photo:

IMG_0539.jpg

And here's another look at Discovery Island:

IMG_0540.jpg

I decided to head over to the other end of Clementine's Beach and see if I could get a good look at Discovery Island from the dock that the fishing guides use over there.

Here is a view of the back of Pioneer Hall from over there:

IMG_0541.jpg

I don't see anyway to get to the roof top observation deck from back there.

Now we are on the far end of Clementine's beach:

IMG_0551.jpg

And here's a look toward Discovery Island from the fishing guide's dock:

IMG_0552.jpg

Here is a shot of the dock that I'm talking about:

IMG_0553.jpg

Don't miss that heron perched there on one of the posts.

Here are a couple more shots of the boat dock area over on Discovery Island:

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

That sun was taking its time rising this morning, which gave me a chance to take this photo, which I call Sunrise Over Clementine's Beach:

IMG_0557.jpg

According to the rumors circulating around, this cypress head, which juts out into the lake, may become the focal point of a new DVC resort. If that happens, this beautiful natural view will be much different:

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

That's all I have from the Settlement area.

From here, I headed up to the Meadow area for a few more photos before heading back to camp to get packing.

TCD

TCD, love the morning photos! The first one at of the canal at the 1500 loop is my favorite.

Thanks, Gwen.

I like that photo too, but my favorite one in that batch is the one of the swamp with the curved tree trunk.

It is no secret that early morning is my favorite time of the day around the Fort.

TCD, I feel the need to post. I THINK I have read most of your TRs since I joined a few weeks ago. I would tell you that you are a rock star, but you already know, so nevermind.

You THINK that you have read most of them?

That's pretty good, because there are a lot.

Thanks for posting.

And, in case you haven't noticed yourself, I am not the only Rock Star around here. I am just a small part of a great site.

And, it will become greater with more folks joining and posting. Including the guests reading along on this trip report.

To those of you non-members reading along, this would be a good time to jump in. This trip report will be over in just a couple or few more posts.

TCD

Beautiful shots!! But I agree with you. There is nothing like being there!!! The more I play with cameras, the more amazed I am what a MARVEL the human eye is, and the details we can perceive, that no camera lens will ever be able to capture.

But if we can't be there, the next best thing is a TCD trip report!

:bravo: You're right on both accounts!

That picture than Crow butt.

I'm sure the picture doesn't do it justice.

I also enjoyed the view from the far end of the beach.

You outdid yourself with those photos. I hate the backside of Pioneer Hall! It stinks to be in such a beautiful area, and all the ugly work-like stuff is in plain view. I guess it has to be somewhere. -_-

Do we have to pack & go home?

TCD, another great set of photos!

Thanks, Gwen.

Beautiful shots!! But I agree with you. There is nothing like being there!!! The more I play with cameras, the more amazed I am what a MARVEL the human eye is, and the details we can perceive, that no camera lens will ever be able to capture.

You know that I agree with this. I could see that deer clearly in the swamp, but I had a heck of a time finding her in the photo, and even then, she blends in much more in the photo than she really did. And, there is no way to get good photos of how things look in the really low light before things begin to lighten up. And sunrises and sunsets, although they can be pretty in photos, are always much more so in person.

But if we can't be there, the next best thing is a TCD trip report!

Aw, shucks.

Thanks, Gwen.

You write a pretty mean trip report yourself.

:thumbsup1:

Thanks, Marty.

:bravo: You're right on both accounts!

That picture than Crow butt.

I'm sure the picture doesn't do it justice.

I also enjoyed the view from the far end of the beach.

You outdid yourself with those photos. I hate the backside of Pioneer Hall! It stinks to be in such a beautiful area, and all the ugly work-like stuff is in plain view. I guess it has to be somewhere. -_-

Do we have to pack & go home?

None of us wanted to pack and go home either.

It was too short of a trip, and the weather had been perfect.

But the girls had a school competition to get to.

And I have an exciting post-script about that.

TCD

The pictures in this report are out of this world. Makes me happier than ever that I switched the second half of my September trip to stay at the Fort. Can't wait to get there and get some of my own "sunrise over..." pics!

Crow butt sounds like the kind of liquor they would serve at a Billy and the Hillbillies show. :)

Cool picture of the Cardinal (I'm particular to them you know). Heard something interesting the other day, but haven't confirmed it's accuracy. Someone told me that Cardinals and Owls are two non migratory birds. Although, I bet the Marlins are glad they left Miami to head North. :)

Never been to fantasmic. Maybe the dinner/show might be just the trick.

As usual, I am a couple days late getting on board. Re. Fantasmic. First of all, let me say I have never seen it. Nope. Not once. I am not a crowd person. I get nervous with large groups of people pressing their stinking bodies against mine. It sometimes seems there is a shortage of soap and deodorant at WDW. Anyway, after seeing TCD's pictures and realizing there are pyrotechnics involved, I may reconsider and wait in line next visit for a chance to see some fire and explosions, especially if there is a chance Mickey will ignite.

I encourage everyone to get up early at least once during their stay at FW. I love to go for a morning bike ride. There is an abundance of wildlife, especially on the trail to WL. Very quiet and peaceful.

Been taking a break for a couple of weeks and when I came back I got to read a great new TCD trip report.

Couple of things I wanted to add, the cornhole games were there in January for the Marathon weekend and then they disappeared. We asked the manager of the HDDR and he couldn't find them. I think they are supposed to put them out only when people are waiting for the HDDR from what he said.

We also have only seen Fastasmic once. That's when my DD was about 4, she will be 14 this month. She was terrified of it and we never went back. I couldn't believe the amount of people waiting in your pics. And you said there were 2 shows? I guess we won't be seeing it again soon....

Sorry, I know nothing about the Diamond Horseshoe. It is weird that they would include a number called Belly up to the Bar in a place that doesn't serve liquor..

TCD

It is odd that they would have fake beer in the park without a liquor license.

However, that song was from the musical, "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" that was based on the life of a rich socialite who was a Titanic Survivor. Earlier in her life she was poor and uneducated and worked in a saloon. In the musical that song is set in the saloon, which is not unlike the Diamond Horseshoe. MGM made the musical into a movie staring Debbie Reynolds (gosh I'm a dork for knowing all of that).

Maybe the MGM connection is why that song was used in the show? I wonder if the show had other MGM connections and that's why they ended up taking it out?

Aw, shucks.

Thanks, Gwen.

You write a pretty mean trip report yourself.

Thank you! I'm blushing.

I too wake up really early every day and love experiencing the Fort as the sun comes up. One of these days I'll get David up and have him explore with me. I have a really bad knee and am afraid of getting too far out of mainstream traffic in case I have problems with it. So I usually stay around the Settlement area.

And you all have convinced me not to see Fantasmic.