• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The four of you, who will remain nameless, Cherie, Dave, Bob, and Bill, have taken a perfectly innocent TR and brought it down to the depths of depravity and vulgarism that is beneath even the four of

I think I can help out here. I'm not real strong in my Russian, but I do believe it translates to "hey, the f*ing dog pooped in the trailer and I'm out of vodka."

Looks like a good option also! Thanks!!

Where Shall We Go Today? Hmmmmmm..... I gave you a hint in the last post!

DSC_0303.jpg

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER

Having now visited both Johnson and Kennedy I can say that Kennedy wins the Rebel NASA Space Center Excellence Award. Kennedy is an immersive with down and gritting this is how it feels history , while Johnson is more interactive computery showy. Sure Johnson has the tour of the compound but let's just say it was geared more towards a hi-tech playground for kids. Kennedy on the other hand was an experience in many things. They show you how it felt to be in Launch Control with shaking glass. They have real ex-astronauts narrating some of the experiences. They tell you the safety zones near the launch pad... ie, how many ways to die. They have this Shuttle Launch Experience where you get a simulated ride on a shuttle complete with being tilted skyward, shaken about, and a master alarm going off. We didn't get to do the Imax movies due to missed timing and the fact that I can't do 3D but I am sure they rocked. We also didn't do the extra tours as it would have cost us a family of 4 over $300 dollars to do them, so no pictures from launch sites or inside the buildings.

Now we take a bus ride and yes I thought of Lou. On the bus ride they take you past the Vehicle Assembly Buildings. You get to see the Crawlers, the gravel track the Crawlers used, the bus driver explains the assembly process and then you head over to another building. In this building you learn about the start of the Space Race.

This room, with the actual monitors used in the launch of Apollo VII, lights up as the film and narration takes you through the launch with glass shaking action. Does anyone know what was so important about Apollo VIII? Which astronaut of particular note was on this mission? Why did he become so special?

DSC_0307.jpg

Time to check out that moon landing stuff.... rocket ride anyone?

DSC_0308.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0318.jpg

Three to a Capsule please -

DSC_0321.jpg

Surely this pictures needs no introduction -

DSC_0323.jpg

Rocket Garden Anyone?

DSC_0338.jpg

Coolest Fountain Evah-

23910_184325971704437_448544584_n.jpg

Lego Robot -

315690_184401011696933_668480113_n.jpg

Thus concludes our tour of the Kennedy Space Center and brings you completely up to date on this trip report... until Sunday when I return from a Dream. While I am gone, feel free to nag Doodle.

Port To The Fort -

After 18 months of planning it is finally time, time to drive to the Fort.

Granted these are random but here we go -

DSCN0486.JPG

DSCN0488.JPG

DSCN0487.JPG

Don't ask me why but none of our GPS systems drive us through the main gate. This is as close as we ever get.

DSCN0489.JPG

Getting closer...

DSCN0491.JPG

Almost there...

DSCN0492.JPG

DSCN0493.JPG

Really, really close...

DSCN0494.JPG

Are you ready? Here it goes...

DSCN0496.JPG

DSCN0497.JPG

At check in they didn't have any of the sites I wanted but they had one close, so we picked something in the 1430's only to find we'd have to wait. I texted Doodle a picture of the check in packet. She sent me back to checkin with two site numbers in the 900 loop. FYI they were both close to her.... really, really close! Not to mention Bob, Mike, Lorna, TJ, Sheila and Carol. Yes, that's right I am on the Fiend side of the 900 loops. Here is the Welcoming Committee-

DSCN0503.JPG

And with that I regret to inform you that this TR has reached an abrupt end. it actually surprised me too but when I uploaded pictures it just seem to be time. After all we are no longer Circling The States to Get to the World, Yes It Really Did Take Seven Months To Get To The World BUT we are at the world.