• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mo, do you have anything official on this?

I don't know where that web site got the bracelet idea, but I can guarantee you that a bracelet was never mentioned in Disney's announcement.

RFID tags have a finite range. KTTW, CM IDs, etc, usually require that the RFID tag embedded in the card be very close to the receiver. In some cases, they just about have to make contact. It's not l

From Chip and Co...

Disney Cast Members to be Outfitted with iPads

Friday, May 4, 2012 Mel

apple_ipad_family_710821_g2-300x199.jpg

Disney has begun outfitting Cast Members with ipads as they test the new next gen FASTPASS system. As we reported here earlier, the new system will allow guests to schedule FASTPASS windows before their vacation begins. Guests that have been selected will receive a FASTPASS card embedded with an RFID chip and will be able to choose FASTPASS windows prior to their arrival at the Magic Kingdom. The new system will be tested until May 15th.

According to Disney Projects, when resort guests arrive at their scheduled time they will scan their FASTPASS card at a sensor at the entrance of the queue. The information is then sent to a Cast Member’s iPad.

Now that is what I call cutting edge technology!

http://www.chipandco.com/2012/05/disney-cast-members-outfitted-ipads/

Cutting edge technology, the Numbnuts that wrote that story must live in a cave.

How long have the IPads been out?

I know for a fact that other departments use them.

I wonder if Numbnuts is aware that Disney CMs also use Disney issued cell phones to communicate while on the job? I'm one of them.

Cutting edge technology, the Numbnuts that wrote that story must live in a cave.

How long have the IPads been out?

I know for a fact that other departments use them.

I wonder if Numbnuts is aware that Disney CMs also use Disney issued cell phones to communicate while on the job? I'm one of them.

:lmao1:

My pleasure!

I definitely don't have the market cornered on spending way too much time trolling Disney sites (although DH may think I do LOL), so if anyone else comes across great info to share, please do! The only thing we ask is that you be sure to credit the source with a link.

Otherwise... post away!

so if anyone else comes across great info to share, please do! The only thing we ask is that you be sure to credit the source with a link.

Otherwise... post away!

Can I just credit Miller Lite, Yuengling, Firefly, Fonseca Port, etc in my sig for all my brilliant and insightful posts?

• 2 weeks later...

From the Touring Plans Blog. Follow the link at the end for photos...

X-Pass Testing in the Magic Kingdom

by Kristen Helmstetter

On my recent trip I got to try out the X-Passes (FASTPASS + is another name being floated around) being tested in the Magic Kingdom. As we previously reported the TouringPlans.com team got wind of Disney testing a new version of Fastpasses in the Magic Kingdom in early May. We heard they were contacting guests who would be staying on property in during to see if they would be willing to participate in this test. We also heard they were surveying guests when they arrived at the Magical Express (DME) desk at the airport. First, one of our readers was selected which allowed us to bring you last week’s report. A few days later my friend, Kim, saw cast members in the DME area when she was checking in to take a a bus from the airport to our resort. Since she knew the testing was taking place and had heard people were being selected at the DME desk she inquired as to what they were up to. Sure enough they were distributing X-Passes! She was asked a series of questions about which Magic Kingdom attractions interested her party most. She was able select four attractions she was most interested in experiencing during her trip. She was able to select The Jungle Cruise, Splash Mountain, The Haunted Mansion, and Space Mountain. Note not all of these attractions are considered “E-Ticket.” Kim was only allowed to select two of the headliner attractions and two of the less popular rides. What I found most interesting is the Haunted Mansion doesn’t usually use the Fastpass system, but it is one of the attractions being tested.

They were extremely accomodating and gave her the passes for the day she planned to tour the Magic Kingdom. We did not have to rearrange our plans to fit into the test; instead we were able to make our own schedule. We planned to be in MK on Sunday so they were happy to give Kim passes for that afternoon. Our first time slot was at 3 p.m. for the Jungle Cruise with the others following at about every hour or so. I was especially impressed they gave Kim enough passes for her entire party even though she arrived at the Magical Express desk by herself. I couldn’t believe they gave her nine passes! They even labeled each pass with our names so we wouldn’t get them mixed up. You’ll see later why this is important.

On the morning we were able to use our X-Passes Kim received and email reminding her of the time slots we were assigned. We could also get this information by scanning one of our cards at Guest Relations on Main Street or visiting a kiosk set up in Fantasyland. If you are looking for the kiosk it is next to the Fastpass machines outside Mickey’s Philharmagic. The cast members in both of these locations couldn’t have been more friendly. If you have any questions about your return times I’m sure they would be happy to help.

Now that we’ve discussed all of those odds and ends let’s talk about how it all worked. We only had time to use it once, but it went very smoothly when we did. We entered the regular Fastpass queue at the Jungle Cruise where a cast member greeted us and instructed us on how to use our cards. Guests simply hold their cards in front of the RF scanner which has been installed in the queues of select attractions and wait for it to turn green allowing them admission into the ride. If you try to use your card outside of your return time the light will turn red and the cast member will assist you. The cast member manning the scanner has an iPad where all of your information will appear when you scan your card.

The gentleman working at the Jungle Cruise really freaked me out when he said “thank you, Kristen” when I scanned my card. I had no idea my name and such would appear on his iPad, but Kim was behind him so she could see that my name as well as the rest of my card’s information became available to him when I scanned my card. Now you understand why it was important for my friends and I to have cards with our names on them! It is clearly stated on the back of the card that they are nontransferable. I’m sure it would have worked if I gave my card to a female friend, but if I tried to give it to my brother he wouldn’t be admitted since a girl’s name appeared on the screen. If X-Passes go into wider circulation I’m sure they will be put onto a Key to the World card which would eliminate any mix up potential.

Once through the queue guests will need to keep their X-passes handy to scan them again before actually boarding their ride vehicles. At the point in the line where a cast member would normally collect a paper Fastpass, there is another RF scanner where you will need to verify your entry. I didn’t realize this and had put my card away, but the cast member didn’t seem too concerned since I was with Kim who had her’s ready.

I’m not sure how I feel about the X-passes yet. They were simple to use, and it was nice to not have to go to each of the attractions to collect Fastpasses to return later. However, if they become the only Fastpass option in the parks I could see it becoming problematic for the kind of touring I often do. In our case Kim wasn’t aware of the time we had a reservation for dinner so many of our return times overlapped with our dinner time and we were simply out of luck. As you can see, it will take a fair bit of planning to make these passes work for your group. If you are using a TouringPlan and you know exactly what you want to do and when you want to do it, they could be a great tool. But, if you are heading to the parks for a spontaneous day of fun, this could be a real pain if they are the only option available. I know some local friends are very concerned the X-Passes will only be available to resort guests which would leaving them in the lurch.

How about you? What do you think of these new Fastpasses? Or better yet have you had experience with them? Let me hear your thoughts in the comments!

A special thanks goes out to Kim Knight for doing the leg work on this one and allowing me to come along for the ride!

http://blog.touringplans.com/2012/05/16/x-pass-testing-in-the-magic-kingdom/

I would think they will, if for no other reason than a huge chunk of the Disney-going public seems to just show up at WDW without having any clue how things work when they get there.

And those are generally the people that would squawk the loudest if they found out they missed out on something because they didn't plan ahead.

Thanks for the update. I think it would be a great addition to the current system as an available option, but I really hope they keep the current system as well for people who do not want to plan their trip ahead of time.

I agree. We don't make ADRs or any other plans ahead of time. Don't want to be confined to a schedule. But we usually visit WDW during low crowds when this isn't a problem.

Here's one of the CMs at Buzz Lightyear with her ipad for checking xpasses.

DSCN1244-1.jpg

Here's what they have made the Fast Pass entrance at HM....

DSCN0578-1.jpg

Going in the FP entrance you go directly up to the split where you have the choice of going into the cemetery or continuing straight through to the entrance doors. BTW, we didn't ever see anybody in the FP line.

People in the "regular" line (including wheelchairs, ECVs, people with walkers, etc) are shuttled into the cemetery entrance (left side) and one step before you go into the cemetery (where the statues are) there is now a small cut off to the right where you can avoid the cemetery and continue straight to the entrance doors.

So, where everybody used to have the choice of "cemetery" or "no cemetery" is now part of the FP line. The regular line has to go a few steps further before they can cut off and avoid the cemetery. Hope that makes sense! Next time I will try to get some more pictures.

• 2 months later...

An update from WDW Magic...

NextGen RFID entry system installed at the Haunted Mansion

Aug 02, 2012

NextGen RFID entry scanners are now in place at the entrance to the Haunted Mansion. The entry is located in the center of the gated area, just to the right of the standby line.

Along with the two RFID scanners, there is a computer screen for the cast members to deal with any issues. You can see photos of a similar setup from the trial earlier this year.

Photo by WDWMAGIC

Haunted-Mansion_Thumb_16065.jpg?Expires=1343960369&Signature=JzfvOsyM-oiSKkUFbTL3CkOvsRH44dYNBjpl56Xo%7Elp0CZUDmc2N7fPjvwOwBuGBS-1x4usP-zw5OufLM%7EMk63SzqfZHzc0FTCN8p7HP4NMogUbhDbe0YIO58Kg1y5664mq5PkLOQgskKmpLHpXgzegOMXav%7EPE0TOXUEd%7ExvNA_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIXD73LCXQPO2WCKQ

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions/Haunted-Mansion/News/02Aug2012-PHOTO---NextGen-RFID-entry-system-installed-at-the-Haunted-Mansion.htm

• 1 month later...

From WDW Magic. Follow the link for photos...

PHOTOS - Hands-on with the FASTPASS+ advance experience reservation test

Sep 04, 2012 | 10:29pm EDT

Disney has today begun the invite process for inviting eligible guests to participate in the biggest test of FASTPASS+ to date.

Selected guests, arriving between September 18 and September 24 2012, are being invited to select 4 "must-do" Magic Kingdom rides, shows and character meet and greets in advance. The entire process is handled online, with a series of screens taking the guest through the process. Head to the screen shots below for a look (thanks to Por-Favor-Manténgase on the WDWMAGIC forums for posting).

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/fastpass/news/04sep2012-photos---hands-on-with-the-fastpass-advance-experience-reservation-test.htm

• 2 weeks later...

A look at the first day of the big Next-Gen FASTPASS+ test

Sep 18, 2012 | 10:53am EDT

The first large scale guest testing of FASTPASS+ got underway this morning at the Magic Kingdom.

You may remember a few weeks ago that guests were being contacted ahead of their arrival to take part in FASTPASS+. The concept is that guests can select their must-do ride experiences online before they arrive at the park, and can choose FASTPASS time windows for each of those attractions. After doing so, the guests are issued an RFID FASTPASS+ card, which they then use in the park to access each attraction at their allocated time.

Each attraction that is participating in the test has the now familiar RFID reader poles at the entrance. For attractions with existing FASTPASS systems, the readers are located at the entrance to the FASTPASS return line. For attractions without existing FASTPASS queues, such as the Haunted Mansion, special entrances have been built. There are two readers at each location, speeding up the process of guest access. When the guest wishes to enter the attraction, instead of handing over a paper FASTPASS ticket, they simply touch their RFID FASTPASS+ card to the reader. A cast member is on-hand to deal with any issues, and has access to the reservation information via kiosk or iPad.

From what we have seen so far this morning, the test is proceeding very well. A good number of guests are using the system, and all appears to be passing through without issue. If you have used the system, be sure to visit our discussion forums to share your experiences, or use the contact link at the bottom of this screen to get in touch with us.

Check out the photos below for a look at the setup at the Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, and Mickey's PhilharMagic.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/other/fastpass/news/18sep2012-photos---a-look-at-the-first-day-of-the-big-next-gen-fastpass-test.htm

• 2 weeks later...

PHOTOS - A look at FASTPASS in Storybook Circus

Sep 30, 2012 | 1:26pm EDT

Share on facebookShare on twitter Share on emailShare on print More Sharing Services

With the opening of the new FASTPASS distribution location today, FASTPASS in Storybook Circus got a whole lot easier.

There is now one centralized location at the back corner of Storybook Circus to get your FASTPASS for both Dumbo and The Barnstormer. There is no longer any need to go all the way over to Mickey's PhilharMagic to get the tickets. And even better news, when we used it today, we were able to get a FASTPASS for both Dumbo and The Barnstormer at the same time, without having to wait for the return window. Along with the Dumbo FASTPASS also came a surprise FASTPASS for Mickey's PhilharMagic.

Check out the photos below for a look at the FASTPASS tickets and the distribution area.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/fantasyland/news/30sep2012-photos---a-look-at-fastpass-in-storybook-circus.htm