What would be a better project than Avatar-Land?

Share your thoughts on what would be a better project to build with the money that will be spent on Avatarland.

If you believe Avatar-Land is THE thing that should be built next, lets here that too.

The first things that come to my mind are Cars Land at Studios (could use area currently being used by backlot/catastrope canyon) and more world showcase pavillions at Epcot.

I just don't get Avatar-Land. Granted the movie made a lot of money but it was just an okay movie in my opinion. I think they would be better off making Endor-Land at Animal Kingdom and have a sweet ride where you are riding on Speeder-Bikes (that was in honor of SWW).

It's hard to even take the Avatar-land idea seriously it is so horrible. Let's here what you have to say about it though. Maybe I am way off base. :faceplant2:

Priority should be given to getting rid of all the snoozer attractions, which there are many of, rather than adding another land.

Any attraction that has a average wait time of less than 15 minutes should go.

Any attraction that hasn't had a major refurbishment in ten years should be drastically changed, upgraded, or removed.

If I were to pick a new land, "Lord of the Rings" would be my choice. It would definitely challenge the WWOHP. It fits into the Nature theme at AK. It offers many themes for thrill rides while offering countless opportunities for visuals as well.

Priority should be given to getting rid of all the snoozer attractions, which there are many of, rather than adding another land.

Any attraction that has a average wait time of less than 15 minutes should go.

Any attraction that hasn't had a major refurbishment in ten years should be drastically changed, upgraded, or removed.

If I were to pick a new land, "Lord of the Rings" would be my choice. It would definitely challenge the WWOHP. It fits into the Nature theme at AK. It offers many themes for thrill rides while offering countless opportunities for visuals as well.

I agree!

I like the idea of cars land. I just don't see Avatar land being a big draw. It seems Disney is missing with a lot lately. They need to fire the present geeks in imagineering and hire some that are more in touch with the mainstream.

LOTR is such a better idea than Avatar. I know you've worn a lot of disney hats Lou, but I think the next one should be in planning.

IMO Avatar was entertaining but has yet to prove staying power over a number of years. At this point I see Avatar as way too trendy to hang a park on and I'm still hearing from a surprising amount of people who haven't seen it & don't plan to. Give it a few years and then evaluate what will maintain audience drawing power - or better yet, pick something that's already proven. Even Twilight has enjoyed a bigger following for a longer time... not that i think wdw would ever add vampires to the prince & princesses..

And if we wanted to go all carzy with new worlds, there's still the star wars universe to explore and disney already owns the rights to that. just saying...

While I would love to see more SW at WDW, and there is no question about it's staying power, would it be over-saturation?

There is a lot of SW stuff out there.

Also, we can't leave Marvel Land out of the discussion.

Good points, Lou.

The issue with SW is that I can't see a way that it would fit in AK, which is where they are planning to stick this Avatar Land.

Also, I haven't seen anything published about this, but I suspect that James Cameron is offering to pay for part or all of Avatar land since this will be a way to promote the Avatar sequels and merchandise sales.

I had not seen Avatar, and had no intentions of seeing it, but it was on TV not to long ago, so I watched most of it. It was OK, but it is not at all appropriate for WDW. This is not a kids movie. It makes no sense to build a whole land in WDW around a franchise that is PG-13.

When we the last time anyone went to Sounds Dangerous? That needs to go!

You will be happy to know that it is gone.

It was recently removed from the Hollywood Studios guide maps.

And apparenlty is gone for good.

Now we have another empty building.

Which gets back to Lou's earlier point- Disney ought to fill the empty attractions before worrying about building a whole new land.

TCD

The thing is....all of the ideas presented here are better than the Disney/Cameron collaboration. It is amazing how stuff like Avatar-land can be green-lit given what Lou said about empty attractions and others in need of refurb as well as the fact that their are countless ideas for "lands" that would be better for Disney and its guests rather than Avatar. Of all the things Disney has ever done in the parks, this is the one that leaves me scratching my head the most and keeps me hoping for a reversal in the thought process.

I found Avatar to be entertaining but also quite slanted. Given the changes we've seen in Disney as a whole, it doesn't surprise me that this would be a bandwagon they'd jump on...

I do wonder why wdw didn't get a Cars-Land too though and wish they'd fix the maintenance issues & empty space already there before creating more. A Christmas town or LOTR would have been awesome. For now, Avatar-land leaves me underwhelmed.

I think a Hunger Games land at AK would be cool. They only let 24 guests per day in, and only one survives. They then get lifetime annual passes and a free campsite in the 3000 loop.

Dave- you should be an Imagineer!

Have you read these books?

I hadn't.

But after all of my daughters read them all and seeing how popular the movie is, I figured that I would see what all the fuss was about.

I read the first book last weekend, and I am now just beginning Catching Fire.

Not bad.

The girls want to see the movie again, so when we have a free moment, we are going.

TCD

Dave- you should be an Imagineer!

Have you read these books?

I hadn't.

But after all of my daughters read them all and seeing how popular the movie is, I figured that I would see what all the fuss was about.

I read the first book last weekend, and I am now just beginning Catching Fire.

Not bad.

The girls want to see the movie again, so when we have a free moment, we are going.

TCD

I also finished the first book and started Catching Fire over the weekend at Stone Mountain. Pretty entertaining read. And I thought the movie was good. But a Hunger Games land at AK would be awesome!

What about Land-O-Lakes? We could have popcorn with butter, bacon with cream, milk and cookies, etc.

Will it have chip dip? Cause really, who doesn't like chip dip? You can put it on chips, you can dip your pretzels in it, and you can use it for veggies. Hell, you can even put it on your baked potato. Chip dip has to be one of the most versatile and beloved foods in the whole world.

What about the original concept, mythical creatures, Beastly Kingdome, etc.

I agree with you.

Have you ever seen what they have at the Disney Sea park over in Japan?

Why not some stuff like that?

It doesn't have to be from a movie.

I think if Disney did a very well done aquatic land as part of AK, they could give Sea World a run for its money.

Yes, they could.

But, I don't think they should.

I think they have enough fish over there in the Living Seas at Epcot.

TCD