Fortless- A TCD Trip Report with a twist.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks Andrew, I think. Seriously, I appreciate it. Unfortunately you've never been a guest that I've interacted with while being a CM. I take being a WDW CM very seriously. Guests expect a lot form u

Oh no! Christ is coming?? He must not have got the warning about Gay Days from the last banner! He best be careful or he might get some "gay" on him. What a bunch of dipsh*ts. But your report is gre

When is Christ returning? "But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only." Matt. 24:36 How to "Be prepared?" First acknowledge that you

Oh, BTW, that sign also says up to one hour after park closing, wrong.

Yes, we all know it's wrong, BUT I'm sure it's there for the general public to make them THINK transportation will stop, so they hurry on out, so they can cut back on transportation staff as soon as possible.

The public will add time to WHATEVER is posted. If they posted two hours after closing, then the GP would linger longer, and they would have to have staffing for transportation/parking, etc. for longer.

Did you get a dessert at the Mexico quick serve? It occurs to me that the last time we were there, we ordered several items to share amongst the whole family. The dessert sounded good in theory, but was so objectionable in practice, that it was the only thing left on the trays. It must have been pretty "yucky", because my family has almost never met a dessert they didn't like. :)

I think everyone is caught up now, so we shall plow ahead.

We left off with our arrival at the Transportation and Ticket Center (I will take Lou's word on that).

As you should know, that meant we still had to find a way to the MK.

You have two choices here: monorail or boat.

The boat was pulling out as we walked down the ramp, so it was back up the ramp to the express monorail.

There were a lot of people wearing red shirts around.

A group of guys in red shirts had matching ones that said "Surrender the Booty." I guess they were Pirates of the Caribbean fans? Big fail on my part not getting a photo of those shirts.

It wasn't just guys in red shirts.

There were ladies too.

And kids.

And there were older folks and younger folks.

These older guys had matching shirts:

IMG_1447.jpg

Nobody was doing anything crazy or offensive.

It was just a bunch of people in red shirts. Some of whom liked pirates.

The express monorail pulled up just as we reached the loading platform.

So far, our transportation has arrived right on time all day.

I knew that it would.

Remember? When you give away pixie dust, you get it right back.

Why do you think it's called the Magic Kingdom?

So, we hopped on for our ride on the highway in the sky.

Right past Wilderness Lodge:

IMG_1448.jpg

And on toward the Contemporary Resort.

I have pointed this out in previous trip reports, but I haven't posted photos from the monorail. For whatever reason, they recently excavated and expanded this little corner of Bay Lake:

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

And there's Shipwreck Island- I guess it looks better than it used to with the recent clearing they have done on it:

IMG_1452.jpg

If you look out into the lake in this photo, you can see Discovery Island. You see all those cypress trees that jut out from the shore across from there? That's where they are planning to stick a new DVC resort. That nice shoreline with all the trees won't look so nice then:

IMG_1453.jpg

But the good news is that if you are fan of Disney architecture, you will be able to get a good look at the new buildings from here on the monorail.

You can see the Fort's shoreline in these photos:

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

And I see something else too.

Those darned cranes from the new Four Seasons hotel project.

Do you see them?

How about now? :

cranes.jpg

No big deal you say?

Well sorry, but I disagree.

Where those cranes are now, there soon will be a big high rise building.

Looming over the Fort.

Sticking out of the woods.

Blech.

And then, for the double whammy, they will build the new DVC resort on the other side along the lake. And take away some of the Fort's beach too.

So much for the Wilderness.

Progress.

You can't stop it.

So if you say no big deal, I hope you're right.

But I don't think you are.

But, the monorail kept on going and so will we.

How many times have you ridden the monorail?

Have you ever noticed the weird Mickey sculpture on the roof down there? :

IMG_1456.jpg

In case you can't find him, he's right in the middle of this zoom on that photo:

hm.jpg

That thing has been there for a long time. But you kind of have to look for it. It's easy to miss.

You can see those darned cranes again in this shot:

IMG_1457.jpg

We next zipped through the Grand Canyon Concourse:

IMG_1458.jpg

After 40 years, that is still cool!

Now we are looking at the Bay Lake Tower walkway, and you can still see the cranes over there poking out of the trees:

IMG_1460.jpg

As I have shared before, I would like to hate the Bay Lake Tower building, but I have to admit that it looks nice:

IMG_1461.jpg

I wish they would just tear down the other old Contemporary Resort wing and build another BLT there. Then maybe they could leave the Fort alone.

Now we are getting close to the MK:

IMG_1463.jpg

There used to be a fish feeder in that little pond that was identical to the one floating in the Fishin' hole at the Fort. But, it looks like they have a more modern version in there now:

IMG_1464.jpg

There's a bird down there along the shore. It's kind of cool how nature coexists with all of the development at WDW:

IMG_1465.jpg

I was surprised to see that the MK entry area didn't look too busy as we passed over it:

IMG_1467.jpg

We headed down the ramp to the entrance, and right past the Fort boat just as it was pulling out. As you can see, it didn't have very many passengers:

IMG_1468.jpg

I don't know what to say about this photo.

So, I'll just share what popped in to my head when I saw this guy.

What I thought was: "Really?" :

IMG_1469.jpg

As we were coming in, another group of pirates were heading out. You can see them waving their swords in this photo as they head out of the turnstiles:

IMG_1470.jpg

So far, things didn't seem too crazy at the MK.

Our first stop was going to be the Fire Station for some new Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom cards. Then we would take the train back to Frontierland for the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness- Big Thunder Mountain RR, which had just reopened after a many month long refurbishment.

We will pick it up from there in the next post.

By the way, that one will include my favorite photo from this trip.

TCD

Oh, BTW, that sign also says up to one hour after park closing, wrong.

Yes, we all know it's wrong, BUT I'm sure it's there for the general public to make them THINK transportation will stop, so they hurry on out, so they can cut back on transportation staff as soon as possible.

The public will add time to WHATEVER is posted. If they posted two hours after closing, then the GP would linger longer, and they would have to have staffing for transportation/parking, etc. for longer.

One hour after park closing is wrong?

I thought that was now the rule?

What is right?

Did you get a dessert at the Mexico quick serve? It occurs to me that the last time we were there, we ordered several items to share amongst the whole family. The dessert sounded good in theory, but was so objectionable in practice, that it was the only thing left on the trays. It must have been pretty "yucky", because my family has almost never met a dessert they didn't like. :)

No.

What is the dessert?

We have gotten the churros there a couple of times, and liked those fine. I didn't even know there was another dessert.

TCD

I am following TCD's mama' rule (TCDMR) because all I can think about is "REALLY". That pic blew the rest of my list out of my head.

TCDMR check.

I meant to point out this young man had on a blue shirt.

So, I was really confused by the whole thing.

Love reading all about your trips! such fun to read and dream of when we will be there (soon T-71 more days).

Thanks for posting!

71 more days?

That's nothing!

I hope it goes quick for you!

TCD

Wow. I think you and the TCD twins need to be featured in a cross branding commercial for Disney and Gatorade. Unreal how much territory you guys cover in one day. It never seems like a commando trip. Just a strategic covering of anything cool.

"Surrender the booty" :rofl2: That sounds like something I would wear, if I was a man, who was gay. (And liked pirates ;) )

That's creativity at it's finest!

There's no way that young man in the short shorts is gay. Gay men are usually spot on with fashion! Doesn't anyone remember "Queer eye for the straight guy?" Tim Gunn?

I am anti crane & anti DVC at the Fort. Future generations may still fall in love with Fort Wilderness as that's all they'll know, but for me, I truly feel like it will have a negative impact on the Fort I've loved for 40 years.

Thank God Florida has some beautiful state parks that are still in the wilderness.

Going back to your replies for a moment: I cracked up thinking of the twins faces when you said you were gonna go HAAM on that pizza. Even funnier that you didn't know what it meant. The other kids probably thought you were the coolest, hippest dad ever. Good stuff!

There's no way that young man in the short shorts is gay. Gay men are usually spot on with fashion! Doesn't anyone remember "Queer eye for the straight guy?" Tim Gunn?

my brother in law has a nephew that would wear something like that. as a matter of fact, he wears shirts that plunge and try to give him cleavage....

Wow. I think you and the TCD twins need to be featured in a cross branding commercial for Disney and Gatorade. Unreal how much territory you guys cover in one day. It never seems like a commando trip. Just a strategic covering of anything cool.

Ya think?

Stay tuned, though, because you haven't seen the half of it.

In a little bit, we will be doing something extra crazy.

Even for us.

I should have put a disclaimer in this report- so I'll slip that in here.

We are trained experts.

Doing what we do could ruin your trip. Hopping from park to park can be a real crap shoot.

In our case, the pixie dust was flowing.

I went back to check the times on some of my photos.

I took the photo of the dog outside Hollywood Studios at 11:35, and the photo of the chalk art in the UK section of Epcot at 12:10. The boat ride can be long when it's busy. But we obviously made it from HS to Epcot in less than 30 minutes.

Then, from Epcot to MK, I took the photo of the Transportation and Ticket center sign at the Epcot monorail station at 1:34, and the photo of the FW boat pulling away from the MK dock at 2:00. That meant we made it from Epcot to the TTC and then to the MK in less than 30 minutes.

We were really lucky. Either one of those trips could easily have taken us more than an hour. But that's not what happened to us that day.

I was not kidding when I said that we were having great luck with our transportation. And we are not done with it yet.

"Surrender the booty" :rofl2: That sounds like something I would wear, if I was a man, who was gay. (And liked pirates ;) )

I am anti crane & anti DVC at the Fort. Future generations may still fall in love with Fort Wilderness as that's all they'll know, but for me, I truly feel like it will have a negative impact on the Fort I've loved for 40 years.

Thank God Florida has some beautiful state parks that are still in the wilderness.

Going back to your replies for a moment: I cracked up thinking of the twins faces when you said you were gonna go HAAM on that pizza. Even funnier that you didn't know what it meant. The other kids probably thought you were the coolest, hippest dad ever. Good stuff!

I never watched that Queer Eye show. That is definitely not my thing.

No, the kids who heard me say that I was going to go ham did not think I was cool. Remember, I said we knew that family for a long time. They know I'm not cool.

a conformist by coming to Gay2day but a non conformist in refusing to wear read? Or just didn't get the memo.....

my brother in law has a nephew that would wear something like that. as a matter of fact, he wears shirts that plunge and try to give him cleavage....

TCDMR!

TCD

As mentioned, our first destination inside the MK was going to be the Fire House.

So we headed that way.

I took a moment to stop by the flag pole and take a photo of the elaborate screening around the hat shop there on the end of Main Street. It's cool that they do this, but this stuff has been somewhere on Main Street for what seems like over a year now. And, I'm tired of seeing it. This is not the one that bothers me the most, though:

IMG_1471.jpg

You may also notice, as I did, that there weren't a whole lot of red shirts in the MK. We hadn't seen many in Hollywood Studios. Or Epcot. And now the MK. So, where are all the gay people at? Did I get prepared for nothing? Wait. I was supposed to get prepared for Christ. I don't know what I was supposed to do about the gay people. Oh, those stupid banners had me so confused!

As planned we stopped by and got our SOTMK cards.

The girls got one that they needed. We have pooled the cards, and now, without really trying, we have almost the complete set of 60. I think there are just six that we are missing.

As we headed out of the Fire House, twin #1 tells me that she thinks she sees someone we know.

I ask, who? where?

She says she sees Six Bits.

But, he's dressed up as the mayor of Main Steet.

What the Fort?

Could it be?

I headed that way.

Look who it is:

IMG_1472.jpg

That, ladies and gentlemen, is the real Six Bits.

Also known as Ben.

He was the main actor who played Six Bits in the Hoop Dee Doo show for quite a while.

Until they let his contract run out last year.

I had not heard anything about him since then.

But here he was!

He was deep in conversation with those people.

But, he saw me take his photo, and made a gesture telling me to hang on a minute.

So I did.

And then I got to chat with Six Bits.

I told him congratulations on being elected mayor, but I wished he was back at the Fort.

He said he had no idea what I was talking about.

He was what you call "in character."

And he corrected me.

He is not the mayor.

He is just a councilman.

He said if I was looking for the mayor, he was down Main Street a bit.

I said I wasn't looking for the mayor, and to stop the act.

He again said he had no idea what I was talking about.

But, if I asked him a direct question, he did answer it.

From our conversation, I got that he actually is happier working here on Main Street.

He asked how things were at the HDDR.

I told him the new Six Bits was pathetic.

He said maybe we should start a petition.

But, I think he was kidding.

Anyway, I asked if he would pose for a photo.

He said of course.

When he removed his hat, he pointed out that it was the same one.

He meant the same one that he had worn at the HDDR.

So, this is my favorite photo from the trip:

IMG_1473.jpg

Me and Six Bits.

Of all the castmembers I have met over the years, he is my second favorite.

Our chat was short.

Because Ben was supposed to be interacting with the crowd.

The guy is hilarious.

An older man came walking by.

And Six Bits the Councilman yelled out: "hey Grandpa, how is Charlie?"

The old guy looks at Six Bits the Councilman like he's crazy.

Six Bits the Councilman says: "How did Charlie do at the chocolate factory?"

He was making a point that the guy looked like the grandpa from Willie Wonka.

And he did.

The guy finally laughed about it and moved on.

Then a bunch of ladies in red shirts came by.

Six Bits the Councilman took off after them:

IMG_1474.jpg

And that's the last I saw of him.

That was an unexpected surprise.

It was good to know that Ben is doing well.

I will miss him at the HDDR.

But, maybe I will see him again in the MK.

TCD

The shorts=TCD MR for sure.

Six Bits story/meet n greet= very cool

I am tired of the scrims on the Main Street Buildings as well....there was one on at least one building the past two times we have gone....but that may be just par for the course when you go during off-season (Feb).

Surrender..... :rofl2:

I have to admit, that's a good picture with Ben. I especially like the hand on your hip. Was there a z-snap to follow? Did you do that so you could blend in?

I still like the arrow shot better, but that's just my opinion, and who really cares about that?

I also beg to differ on the cool comment. I think you're cool, and sweet, and witty, and cute, and a great dad! :bighug:

The shorts=TCD MR for sure.

Six Bits story/meet n greet= very cool

I am tired of the scrims on the Main Street Buildings as well....there was one on at least one building the past two times we have gone....but that may be just par for the course when you go during off-season (Feb).

Surrender..... :rofl2:

Scrims- I forgot that was the name for those stupid painted backdrops. I hate 'em. The one that I hate the most is still there, and has been there for six months it seems. I have a photo of that one coming up.

You are just full of pixie dust this trip.

I wasn't kidding when I said that I always receive more than I give.

I have to admit, that's a good picture with Ben. I especially like the hand on your hip. Was there a z-snap to follow? Did you do that so you could blend in?

I still like the arrow shot better, but that's just my opinion, and who really cares about that?

I also beg to differ on the cool comment. I think you're cool, and sweet, and witty, and cute, and a great dad! :bighug:

Yeah, I don't know why I have my hand on my hip like that. It must have been the festive vibe I was feeling in the park.

I think as far as the photo goes, that arrow one is better, but I like the one with Ben because it was such a surprise to see him. I really thought he had left Disney. And, he is my second favorite castmember, after all.

I am happy to hear that you think I'm cool. I think I'm cool too. But the really cool people in my family (my daughters) know that I'm not. Fail.

TCD

I agree. It looks more to me like a "look at me, I want attention" get up.

My first thought was "huh.".

TCD - I have a quick off-topic question for you. I see in this TR as well as some of your other writings that you use the phrase "get on line". I am curious if you're from NY or NJ? The only other person I have heard say it this way (as opposed to "get in line") is one of my college roommates who was from NY. Just curious!

TCD - I have a quick off-topic question for you. I see in this TR as well as some of your other writings that you use the phrase "get on line". I am curious if you're from NY or NJ? The only other person I have heard say it this way (as opposed to "get in line") is one of my college roommates who was from NY. Just curious!

Busted.

Yes, I was born in New Joisey, and lived there until I graduated High School in 1979. I have lived in Florida ever since. So that makes 17 years in Joisey and 33 years in Florida. I will try to remember to say get in line. That doesn't sound right, though.

TCD

You are likely a cross between Phil Dunphy and Clark Griswold, much like my DH. I mean that in a good way. ;D It's a good mix.

Enjoying your TR! I haven't been online much and it's hard to catch up - I'm just not going to be able to read the backlog of TR's that I've missed! We'll just pretend I'm new...

You are likely a cross between Phil Dunphy and Clark Griswold, much like my DH. I mean that in a good way. ;D It's a good mix.

Enjoying your TR! I haven't been online much and it's hard to catch up - I'm just not going to be able to read the backlog of TR's that I've missed! We'll just pretend I'm new...

Yes, that sounds like a good mix. And that is fits me.

Glad you found some time to read.

TCD

Busted.

Yes, I was born in New Joisey, and lived there until I graduated High School in 1979. I have lived in Florida ever since. So that makes 17 years in Joisey and 33 years in Florida. I will try to remember to say get in line. That doesn't sound right, though.

TCD

tomato, tomato; in line, on line - doesn't matter!