CKCK 3.0-June 5-10 Trip Report-"Best of Both Worlds"

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are you two brothers from different mothers?

There is no way I'm buying that line. Being the Dad that I know you are, if any of your daughters gave you that look, you would be there drinking tea and loving it.

Ok, time for a quick hoity toity tea update before I need to be productive today (even band directors have to work in the summer). You may think that updating a TR is productive. I agree, but it doesn

Great update!!! I have been in that theater you spoke of exactly once.... and it was at a Mickey's Very Merry Party. It has since been demolished and is now a parking lot.

Bummer! Though really I can see why it would have been a waste. If they didn't have a regular show there it really wouldn't be worth keeping it up. Plus, even if they had a regular show there (I assume they used to) I doubt many people would have stopped for a show way over there in Tomorrowland. I know I wouldn't have.

I just can't get enough of the redheads, they are so stinking cute!!

Thanks! I think they're pretty cool.

I swear your kids look like porcelain dolls! I bet their skin doesn't take kindly to Florida sun.

I think the guy that gave you cake is Micheal Phelps! That would make sense, cake would not be good for his diet.

Not everyone can always look so hot in their Speedo, like TCD. ^_^

No, they do not get along with the sun too much. They are pasty like their mother.

Yes, that was Michael Phelps.

Don't want to think about TCD in a speedo.

Um, first off Stef....If you are gonna be TCD's long lost third twin daughter, you are never allowed to talk about your adoptive father in a speedo ever again! :rofl3:

That's awkward.

Another awesome update CK2.

The lobster roll looks excellent. Damn, so many new things to try at WDW, and I can't positively try them all in one trip. What to do?

Thanks! We feel the same way when we go there...too many things to try. And then of course we end up having the same things over and over again.

I love the chocolate mouth photo. Way better sounding then Lemonade mouth.

Great photos. The girls are adorable and sure look like they are getting into the trip.

Looking forward to more updates.

I hate Lemonade Mouth. Just because I don' t like the name.

The girls LOVE WDW. I mean, who doesn't?

Boy, you had better stock up on guns and bullets now while you still can to ward off the boys in about 10 years from now....

You are right. I already am making plans for that time.

Also, learn the lyrics to "Cleaning this Gun" and this phrase to recite to any future potential teenaged suitors "I'm not scared to go back to prison."

Thank you Blue Collar Comedy Tour and Rodney Atkins

Definitely am using that line.

great tr!

Thanks!

I am not a breakfast person.

Most days I have some juice (or even Coke) and a breakfast bar…or nothing at all.

Yet I was excited about going to Kona. Not necessarily because of the food (though I was excited about that), not necessarily because it was at the Poly (which is great to visit, but I wouldn’t want to stay there), but because…

My parents were paying for it!

Woo hoo!

See how it isn’t raining?

7185298089_ca13e35ed8.jpg

Yet.

We got on the CR boat.

7370532522_9b6c16222b.jpg

7370532634_bf12972891.jpg

Obviously my mom took that picture…see how she barely got the redheads in it?

7370533766_974ef27f4d.jpg

I’ve always wondered some things about this lake. If it isn’t safe to have people swimming in for fear of coming in contact with a deadly bacteria, then why is it okay to catch fish out of it and water ski on it?

What the Fort?

Before you fish or water ski do you sign you life away?

Or do they give them some special tin foil hat or shot that keeps them safe?

Or are they just the suckers who don’t know any better and will probably die within the year?

7370534364_a168b95b56.jpg

This may have been my favorite part about our trek over to the Poly:

7185301019_02c0547195.jpg

Empty monorail.

7386969272_93ce5697b5.jpg

We arrived at the Poly probably about 45 minutes prior to our reservation, so we had plenty of time to wander around and take pictures of the things you have seen 100 times.

So I’ll try to get creative here.

For example, they sell beer here:

7185301615_b0847c60ae.jpg

That price is $5.25 for Heineken.

Wow, that’s a great deal for a 6 pack of import.

Oh wait, that’s $5.25 for ONE BEER.

Pbbt.

You don’t see many ducks around WDW other than Donald. I can’t say that I’ve ever seen Huey, Dewy, or Louie (or however you spell them).

7185301693_7babd8b67f.jpg

But for some reason they are dancing around up there.

Are these deliberate hidden Mickeys? Or are they hidden hidden Mickeys. Lou will have to clarify.

7370535380_a00ef32a0e.jpg

Even the rug has hidden/deliberate/I don’t know Mickeys.

7370535608_85689a2f78.jpg

7185302245_d87430382b.jpg

You may think that this picture is of the scaffolding outside the building:

7185302813_b221c3276a.jpg

It’s not.

It’s so that I can make a possibly unfair judgment observation of the woman in the EVC and crutch with the not natural red headed daughter waiting on her to finish her cigarette at 8:30 in the morning.

I don’t mean to offend anyone here, but if you are aware of all of the personal health risks (certainties) and you still choose to smoke…that’s your decision, and I will not judge.

However, when you have children (whether they are young or the age of the fake red head), you are also making that decision for them.

Not cool.

When I see someone who obviously has some sort of a health issue or injury, sitting outside making their kid wait on them to finish their smoke…

It just makes me sad.

I also get frustrated.

Especially when they are positioned so that I, along with my two girls, have to walk through their smoke.

It’s one thing to make your own personal health decisions…it’s another to make them for other people.

Moving on…

So I had never had breakfast (or any meal) at the Poly.

I desperately want to go to Ohana, but that’s for another trip.

I wanted to try the Tonga Toast, but I didn’t think I wanted to order it.

Luckily my mom did:

7185303435_cf51e22e04.jpg

It was good, but not my bag. I’m glad I didn’t get it.

Especially when you can get it downstairs.

Instead I had the Somoan:

7370536666_cd1c4ae539.jpg

That may not be your bag, but it was totally mine. Eggs Benedict with pulled pork and all kinds of other stuff that was awesome.

It didn’t last long:

7185303665_9feb4d2b39.jpg

DW had this:

7185303305_fe069db58e.jpg

I think it was the Big Kahuna. You can see what was there. She especially liked the pineapple macadamia nut pancakes.

It was a good breakfast (and free to me)!

7386969822_475bc73e2f.jpg

We stopped for some quick photos on our way back:

7185303823_84fc357025.jpg

7370537722_da4d2fed16.jpg

We got back to the TT and had a note from our special visitor. Seems like we missed him again. That's two trips in a row that he has successfully avoided me. I think he’s secretly scared of me.

I don’t put up with sassy pants.

MaMa and PaPa loaded their stuff up and headed out. It was sad to see them go, but we still had the rest of the day and Sunday morning before we left, so there was still lots to do!

As I left the front GC parking lot after seeing them out, I stopped to take this pic:

7370538666_62dc3eeb5d.jpg

I saw a BUNCH of these carts around the Fort while I was there.

Whatever happened to rental people keeping it on the DL (like Kenny)? These companies are just thumbing their noses at Fort Mgmt. I’m glad that we have our own cart, but I fear one of these days Fort Mgmt is going to do something drastic. Maybe not, but it seems that they have done lots of other things that make no sense, so I wouldn’t put it past them.

Stay tuned, because we still have lots left to cover:

Pony rides, More food (duh), More rain (duh again), MK again at night, Electric parade (some of you may want to skip that one), quick encounter with the EWP (good thing Lou isn’t reading), and a quick stop at Epcot Sunday morning before we left.

Great Update. The food of course looked good but the pics you got as a family at the Contemporary are pretty cool. We like to get pics there too. It's a cool little spot. Looking forward to more! BTW....fake Katy Perry red hair is nowhere near as cool as real red hair....but I don't have to tell you that.

I never get tired of pictures at the Poly. I don't want to stay there either but it's a fun place to visit. Now tell me what you didn't like about the Tonga Toast. We have ressies there and I think that's what I want to order but your DW's breakfast looks yummy too.

Love the redheads in the Mickey sculpture, again too cute.

I am hungry. I want something good for breakfast that I don't have to cook or pay for.

I love the red heads in the Mickey ears photo. They are too cute.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a fake redhead. Wasn't suppose to be. It was supposed to be a golden blonde. But you can ask Lou when he arrives to not read your report, it is red. Merida Red.

I love the update about your free (to you) breakfast at Kona!

That is some quality family time there!

Plus no rain! (yet).

I loved the photos of your family, especially the redheads, at the Mickey sculpture at the Contemporary resort.

I know this makes me sound like a stupid old man, but I am going to take this moment to tell you to savor every moment you have with your family.

This is a photo of the TCD girls taken in 1998:

19981.jpg

The oldest TCD DD, on the left, just turned 21. The TCD twins just turned 17. And, I swear, I remember taking that photo and it seems like it was yesterday.

TCD

I don’t mean to offend anyone here, but if you are aware of all of the personal health risks (certainties) and you still choose to smoke…that’s your decision, and I will not judge.

However, when you have children (whether they are young or the age of the fake red head), you are also making that decision for them.

Not cool.

When I see someone who obviously has some sort of a health issue or injury, sitting outside making their kid wait on them to finish their smoke…

It just makes me sad.

I also get frustrated.

Especially when they are positioned so that I, along with my two girls, have to walk through their smoke.

It’s one thing to make your own personal health decisions…it’s another to make them for other people.

Well put!!! I hate when they smoke standing by the exit door and I have to usher my kids through that cloud. I strongly support their freedom to make the choice to smoke, but not to impact any second parties.

Great Update. The food of course looked good but the pics you got as a family at the Contemporary are pretty cool. We like to get pics there too. It's a cool little spot. Looking forward to more! BTW....fake Katy Perry red hair is nowhere near as cool as real red hair....but I don't have to tell you that.

We have taken pics there a couple of times now. Some day we'll put them all in a frame together showing the progression!

Now tell me what you didn't like about the Tonga Toast. We have ressies there and I think that's what I want to order but your DW's breakfast looks yummy too.

It wasn't that I didn't like the Tonga Toast, it just isn't my bag. I would much rather have meat for breakfast rather than sweets. Just how I roll.

wow, an entire update with no rain!!! Great start to the day!

It was a great morning...but the rain didn't hold off for long!

This report is still making me hungry.

I'm still with you. Luckily we are grilling out tonight, so that will be good.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a fake redhead. Wasn't suppose to be. It was supposed to be a golden blonde. But you can ask Lou when he arrives to not read your report, it is red. Merida Red.

There is nothing wrong with fake red heads...unless it's fire engine red. Then we have a problem.

Ahh Kona! Between it and Ragland Road, those are the only ADRs made for your trip in September....

Your kids are adorable!

Never have been to Ragland Road...guess we need to try it next time!

Thanks!

I loved the photos of your family, especially the redheads, at the Mickey sculpture at the Contemporary resort.

I know this makes me sound like a stupid old man, but I am going to take this moment to tell you to savor every moment you have with your family.

This is a photo of the TCD girls taken in 1998:

19981.jpg

The oldest TCD DD, on the left, just turned 21. The TCD twins just turned 17. And, I swear, I remember taking that photo and it seems like it was yesterday.

TCD

I'm not one to judge on whether you are a stupid old man or not.

I love that pic of your girls. It makes me sad looking at it, because it makes me flash forward 13 years when DD4 will be 17 and DD2 will be 15! I'm sure it will come way too fast! I hope that we are able to continue to have lots of family memories, especially at WDW, with our girls like you have with yours. I just hope that mine continue to enjoy doing it all with their mom and dad as they get older!

So, MaMa and PaPa are gone, and we have just one night left.

We have already accomplished a lot during this trip, but there were a few more things on the agenda.

Like pony rides.

The girls both picked out their ponies (DD2-Chip, DD4 Cricket…I think).

Chip came out first.

DD2 was pissy yet again and refused to even get near the pony.

So DD4 rode Chip instead.

We had never done the pony rides here, so we didn’t really know what to expect. It was actually better than I expected. The CM gave me the reigns, told me to keep his head up and to not let him take control, and sent us on our way. They have arrows directing you around the area, but the ponies pretty much know what to do anyway.

We had a good time, and only stopped once for Chip to do his business.

Here is DD4 at the end of her ride:

7370539032_c72e300e68.jpg

DD2 never would go near him, so we got our $5 back.

One of Cinderella’s ponies was standing in it’s hay.

7370539498_16828e6d30.jpg

Not very princess-like.

Of course we went over to the stables one more time. That’s three times this trip.

We had to make up for missed opportunities on other trips.

We knew that rain was coming (it was starting to thunder and sprinkle), so we headed back to the campsite so I could start packing up some things while the girls napped.

Our plan was to hit the MK tonight, then get up early enough to pull out of our site and head over to Epcot for rope drop.

That was not going to be easy.

So I got as many things put away as I could to make it easier later tonight and in the morning.

After that we waited around until 4:30.

Why 4:30 you ask?

Because that’s when the Trails End starts serving dinner.

7185306331_16f0765faa.jpg

BAM!

Yes, it may have taken 5 days for us to get to it, HTT, The Bistro, Kona, Sleepy Hollow 2x, CHH 2x, and grilling in the rain…

But I finally got my GAG and beer.

Woo hoo!

While I was waiting on it at Trails End the bottom literally dropped out of the sky.

It’s hard to tell in this pic that I took standing inside the doors, but IT WAS POURING.

7185306189_3cd6baeb1e.jpg

Awesome, just in time for our GAG to be ready…except that we were eating back at the TT.

Doh.

Luckily I had the ponchos in the golf cart so it wasn’t too bad.

The girls love GAG.

7370539898_d1b00cbab3.jpg

I love GAG and Beer.

7185306593_bb4273f245.jpg

Once the rain let up we loaded up the GC and headed back over to the MK for one more time.

My wife’s plan was to hit a couple of rides for the girls, then stake out a spot for the Electric Light Parade.

I will give some of you an opportunity to leave now.

There were two marching bands that came out before the parade.

I was especially interested in these.

Not because I’m a band dork…I’m a Director of Bands (that sounds much more important than Band Director).

But 6 years ago when I brought my band to WDW we marched prior to the Electric Parade (Spectro Magic then).

I have to say that as dorky as it may sound, that was probably the coolest experience I have ever in my nearly 25 years involved in bands.

That includes 4 years in the UGA Redcoat Band, major SEC games, marching in two Outback Bowls, a Peach Bowl, through Epcot, Ybor City (whoopdeedoo), and any other big event I can think of.

Making that turn around the square on Main Street and heading towards the castle all lit up, thousands of people lining the street…

It was pretty cool. And all I was doing was walking along side my band.

So I was interested in these bands.

They weren’t that great. I hope that my band sounded better (though it’s doubtful).

I did take a few pics, but two were very important to me:

7370540700_2805ba6346.jpg

7185307377_709ede1bab.jpg

Note to self: never be pretentious like those guys.

Got it.

I took a bunch of pics of the ELP, mostly for my mom who didn’t get to see it the night before. I won’t bore you with all of them (you’re welcome), but there are a couple I’ll share:

7185308111_29cf4d2970.jpg

7185309453_6c296432f1.jpg

What’s up with the pot head?

7370543742_a3f42ff607.jpg

I know he’s from Alice in Wonderland and all, but there is no question about what’s in that pipe.

I did think this was pretty cool:

7185310909_5869ab3598.jpg

It was impressive how the guys carrying the canopy thing, dancers, and float all stayed together. The entire parade is really well choreographed, and it’s even more impressive when you think about these people doing the same things over and over, while moving throughout the park. They have to be exhausted when it’s over.

I’m sorry, but this thing was just plain scary:

7185312839_0126f4ff15.jpg

Here’s another druggie movie represented:

7185312949_589a4c61bb.jpg

And by the way, when was the last time you ever saw (or heard of) Pete’s Dragon? I think it’s time they phase this one out. Most of the people in the parade probably have no idea who Pete even is.

We started heading for the gates before the grand finale. I was not about to get caught in the herd.

So we get down to the boat dock, and what do we see?

7370546752_0f41088c38.jpg

7370546842_cce8f1ee91.jpg

I have to admit…I’m beginning to agree with Lou on the EWP. My wife loves it. I’m starting to get annoyed with it.

1. It gets in the way of the other boats trying to take people to their resorts

2. It comes around so late (especially at the Fort) that barely anyone ever sees it from their Resorts

3. The music is annoying

I’m not at the point of sinking it yet, but I would just as soon not see it.

That takes us to the end of our last full day. The two things we never got to do that we wanted to were go to the campfire and the beach for Wishes. Though, as we got off the boat Wishes was going on so we saw the end of it as we were loading up the GC. The rain kept us away from everything all the other nights.

However, we still had more to accomplish in the morning! Since we were leaving Orlando and heading over to Bradenton, we were in no hurry to get out of there so we decided to hit Epcot in the morning before we left.

Lots more pics (and still more food) to come!

What's with the whoopdeedoo directed at WHY-BOR city? (that's how you're supposed to prounounce it if you're from out of town).

That's a pretty happening part of town.

TCD

Well, as far as college marching band parades go, marching through a bunch of drunk GA/Purdue/Wisc (one year was Purdue, the other Wisc) doesn't really do it for me.

I've never actually been there to hang out. All I know about it is it was dark, we marched and played, then a year or so later it burned down. I assume they rebuilt it to be the same. I wouldn't know if it was the same or different anyway.

Some day I guess I'll have to go check it out.

Woo Hoo!

You finally got your GAG and beer.

All is right in the world!

TCD

I second that!! :jumpforjoy

Cute pic of the little wet redheads eating. Is that a milk mustache on the older one?

I also have fond memories of the EWP, but rarely ever go and watch it anymore. Listening to the music from my site is enough for me.

Thank you for the pictures.

I wasn't scared of clowns before, but I am now. Thanks.

Love the wet red-heads enjoying their GAG.

That was a seriously scary float!

The girls looked pretty rough in that pic!

Whew! I caught up this far in one sitting! Great TR! Wedding cake recreation, hoity toity tea, lobster roll, adorable red heads, beautiful happy wife! How could you go wrong?

Looking forward to the next update! :jumpforjoy:

Glad you're here!

Absolutely AWESOME update!!!

Thanks!

Yeeeee-Hawwwww! GAG and Beer! It really doesn't get any better than that now does it?

Looking forward to more!

No, it does not. It took forever to get but it was worth it!

Great update! I will miss the redheads when this is over. :(

Me too. Of course, I live with them, but it's fun going through all of the pics!

I'm getting caught up! Whew, I should have made notes! I'm with you on meat at breakfast. I would probably like Tonga Toast, but as a snack after school! Looking forward to your next update!

The Tonga Toast was good to try, but that's it for me!

EWP is awesome. Well maybe not but we do like it and I have been watching it since I was a little kid so it has a special place for me.

Everyone has their thing! It just doesn't do it for me. Of course, I never saw it as a kid so I don't have those memories to fall back on. Glad you like it!

Cute pic of the little wet redheads eating. Is that a milk mustache on the older one?

I also have fond memories of the EWP, but rarely ever go and watch it anymore. Listening to the music from my site is enough for me.

Sure is. I should have taken a pic of me with a beer mustache...

So the job of packing up everything basically falls to me. Not because DW is lazy, but because she has to occupy the two red heads while I get everything ready to go.

I did a lot the night before, but still had a good bit to do in the morning.

One of those things was to load the GC in the truck, which takes awhile.

So by the time we were ready to pull out I was soaking wet with sweat.

Awesome.

Our plan was to go to Epcot for rope drop.

We weren’t sure whether we should drive over there or park in overflow and take the bus. I felt like we should just drive over there, but I wasn’t sure about parking with the TT.

We decided to park in overflow since at least we were familiar with getting to Epcot on the bus.

Turns out we should have driven over there.

As we got out of the truck an Epcot bus was pulling in.

DW took off with the girls, I grabbed the strollers, and we went running.

The bus pulled out literally as we made it to the bus stop.

Fail.

Then we waited about 20 minutes for the next Epcot bus.

Fail again.

So by the time we actually made it over there it was just after 9:00.

Turns out that it worked out okay, because we didn’t have to get caught up in the herd.

We first grabbed some FP’s for Soarin’, then hit some other rides with the girls which included Nemo, Turtle Talk, watching the dolphins in the aquarium, Figment (really don’t get that ride), and killing some time in Merida’s playground waiting on our Soarin’ FP time.

7370547196_4564bb5285.jpg

7370547364_a3bb3a2ae2.jpg

7370548484_38a4f9ac33.jpg

7370549110_d4c552a8b2.jpg

It really was a cool playground. I doubt it will be there long, which is too bad because it gave the girls something different to do (and gave Mommy and Daddy a chance to rest).

From here we went over to Soarin’. DD4 and I rode it while Mommy and DD2 went on a food hunt.

DD4 went on Soarin’ back in February and loved it. She still loves it. Probably her favorite ride.

Mommy and DD2 were looking for the Guava Cupcake in the Sunshine Seasons Food Court.

They didn’t find it.

But they did find this:

7185315993_4f413f1dca.jpg

Pineapple Coconut Cupcake.

Luckily they saved DD4 and me some. It was pretty good.

After this it was close to 11:00, so we headed over to the World Showcase to grab some snacks before we left.

I forgot to take pics, but we got the cheese platter in France. It’s not bad, and it was good to sit inside in the AC.

Did I mention it wasn’t raining?

Oh no, it was SUNNY and HOT.

It was at this point that we realized how grateful we were for the wet weather we had been putting up with the entire week. If it had been hot and sunny the entire time, the girls would have fried and it would not have been much fun.

So, moral of the story is the rain actually made our trip better. It never really kept us from doing most of the things we wanted to do, and we didn’t fry.

We stopped in China to get Kaki-Gori.

7185316557_f17f120d01.jpg

Epcot Japan, stop kidding yourself.

It’s Shaved Ice.

But it was still good and hit the spot on this hot morning.

We made it back to the bus and headed back to the Fort for the last time.

7370550122_9f84c1cd49.jpg

And those are all of the WDW pics from this trip.

It’s amazing that I finally made it through all of the pics. There were a ton. I went a little crazy on this trip.

But we are not finished here! I have one more update that I’ll give you later today, and then we’ll wrap it up!