Welcome To WDW 1970's/ 80's and 90's

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have an awesome thread going here, Todd. I got to see that balloon in action flying over Bay Lake in 1994. I haven't seen it since. It was called Earship 1 or something like that . I wonder what

Posted Images

The area looks so much "simpler" then.  And where are all the people?

I yearn for those days!  I have a picture taken in Frontierland on my honeymoon in September 1984.  It was from the area of Diamond Horseshoe, looking towards what is now Splash Mountain (then the train station).  There are 3 people in the entire picture. back then there really was an off season.

Scan10251_zpscf5418cd.jpg

pop quiz does anyone know where that is?

I was going to ask you where this was.

At first, I was thinking down by the old Marshmallow Marsh cabin.

But, I can't place what's in the background.

So, now I'm thinking this must have been behind the old location of the Bike Barn- where the 300 loop playground is now- that's the little inlet in the canal that is still there.  That dock isn't there anymore.

Nor is the sandy beach.

Or I may be in the wrong place.

TCD

I was going to ask you where this was.

At first, I was thinking down by the old Marshmallow Marsh cabin.

But, I can't place what's in the background.

So, now I'm thinking this must have been behind the old location of the Bike Barn- where the 300 loop playground is now- that's the little inlet in the canal that is still there.  That dock isn't there anymore.

Nor is the sandy beach.

Or I may be in the wrong place.

TCD

I think you are right.  Marshmallow Marsh wouldn't have had a sandy beach area being along the canal with the dam (which I assume was always there?).  But that inlet where the Bike Barn used to be looks right. 

TCD....I hope you don't mind, but I borrowed your purple crayon again. 

Does this look about right compared to that picture?

oldbikebarn.jpg

I think you are right.  Marshmallow Marsh wouldn't have had a sandy beach area being along the canal with the dam (which I assume was always there?).  But that inlet where the Bike Barn used to be looks right. 

TCD....I hope you don't mind, but I borrowed your purple crayon again. 

Does this look about right compared to that picture?

oldbikebarn.jpg

Wow!

I'm impressed!

That is exactly the area I was thinking of.

I agree with you- I believe the dam has always been where it is now- it is part of the drainage system installed when WDW was first developed.

TCD

That makes me wonder....did the FWRR have a stop at the bike barn?  It crossed that area through the middle of what is now the dog park.  And the bike barn was right there too.  That would have been really cool.

I have never heard of a train stop at the Bike Barn.

Guests would have just loaded up down at the Settlement, and the train would have just gotten going.

This map doesn't show a stop there:

1978_ftwildernessmap.jpg

TCD

So did the train have just 3 stops?  Gateway (Outpost) Depot, Settlement Depot, and Meadow Trading Post?

I looked in to this some more, and maybe there was at one time a stop at the Bike Barn- look at this map from Dave Leaphart's site:

Generic%20Map.gif

The map I posted shows bus stops. I think there was a time when they just used the train to move people around- no buses, no trams. Dave's map shows a train stop near Tupelo Trail (the original name for the 500 loop).

TCD