Welcome To WDW 1970's/ 80's and 90's

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have an awesome thread going here, Todd. I got to see that balloon in action flying over Bay Lake in 1994. I haven't seen it since. It was called Earship 1 or something like that . I wonder what

Posted Images

April 1974

img001_zps934abff6.jpg

This is a cool photo.

It must have been taken from the Contemporary Resort. 

It shows Space Mountain under construction.

And look how there's no bus stops at the MK.  It doesn't even look like there's a road to the entrance.   Which makes me wonder what the back-up plan was if the monorails were down?  I guess everyone had to take the ferry.  Or the monorails never went down.

TCD

According to an online inflation calculator $17 in 79 is equal to $54.55 today.

I put 1979 because it says that at the top of the tickets. But I just now realized they are from Spring of 1982. I found them among things I got when we cleaned out my parents' house after my Mom passed away two years ago and I took all the Disney stuff I could find. I was thinking that I didn't remember going to the Revue, although that isn't unusual for me. Then I realized the tickets were from a trip my parents took with my younger brother when I was a sophomore in college. And how mad I was that they went without me during my brother's spring break instead of waiting until summer when I could go.

But still probably equivalent to today's price.

This is a cool photo.

It must have been taken from the Contemporary Resort. 

It shows Space Mountain under construction.

And look how there's no bus stops at the MK.  It doesn't even look like there's a road to the entrance.   Which makes me wonder what the back-up plan was if the monorails were down?  I guess everyone had to take the ferry.  Or the monorails never went down.

TCD

It's funny that the two things I remember best from my two childhood trips to WDW/the Fort in 1974 and 1977 are Space Mtn and River Country and both of them must have been from the 1977 trip. Until I looked at the opening dates I thought I'd done both on both trips.

I wish I could remember the details of taking this. And that I'd taken more than 6 photos of WDW during that trip. I even took a few more of Cypress Gardens than WDW. But I'm sure my parents cautioned me because of the cost of developing film. Such a difference digital cameras make.

It's funny that the two things I remember best from my two childhood trips to WDW/the Fort in 1974 and 1977 are Space Mtn and River Country and both of them must have been from the 1977 trip. Until I looked at the opening dates I thought I'd done both on both trips.

I wish I could remember the details of taking this. And that I'd taken more than 6 photos of WDW during that trip. I even took a few more of Cypress Gardens than WDW. But I'm sure my parents cautioned me because of the cost of developing film. Such a difference digital cameras make.

Where are the other three photos from WDW?

Let's see them!

TCD

Thanks for posting the additional photos, Seals.

I don't know why- but I enjoy looking at old snapshots like this.  It's interesting to see what people chose to take pictures of.  As you noted, in the days of film, you had to be selective.  And, I see you got a finger in a couple of the photos- that's the way it used to go- you wouldn't know until the film was developed.  And by then, it was too late for a retake.

I especially liked the parade photos.  Where you were standing there across from the big clock is where we often are to view the parades.  It's neat to see the clock and the buildings.  The trees have changed, but not much else.

Also, I noticed the long line of people waiting for the speedway.  Some things never change.

TCD

Also, I noticed the long line of people waiting for the speedway.  Some things never change.

All those people complaining about crowds like it's a new thing. I do remember waiting in long lines. Of course we went during Easter week and in July. But the Main Street photo from 1977 is probably an 8 by today's numbers. Another nice thing about before the internet, we didn't know how miserable we should be.