Welcome To WDW 1970's/ 80's and 90's

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have an awesome thread going here, Todd. I got to see that balloon in action flying over Bay Lake in 1994. I haven't seen it since. It was called Earship 1 or something like that . I wonder what

Posted Images

The size of those photos is fine.  They are adorable.

Thanks for making me feel old, though.  I graduated from college in 1982.

I see someone with one of those 110 instamatic cameras in the background of you first photo.  I used to have one of those.  It took terrible pictures.

I can't figure out what the heck is on that float in your second photo. 

Is that your dad holding you?  He looks very young.  He must be around my age.

TCD

Thanks.

And you're welcome. ;)

Yep, that's my dad. He was in his late 20's at the time.

Well, there ya go.

We never even considered that. We kept trying to think what 200 would have to do with Disney.

And that also explains something else. I have pictures of the 3 o'clock parade from that trip. It's a patriotic theme, which I never understood because we weren't there for the 4th. Now, I know.

Mrs. TCD and I were married in 1987.  I know we have a couple of dated Christmas ornaments from our first Christmas that commemorated the 200th anniversary of the signing of the Constitution.  It wasn't a very big deal, but it was recognized.  I think there may have been some special coins issued too.

One more thing- I think that display might be right in the middle of the hub, where the Partners statue is now.  You can see the castle in the background.  I don't have time now to research it, but I know the Partners statue was added some time after the MK had been open for a while.  That round planter may be where the statue stands today.

TCD

One more thing- I think that display might be right in the middle of the hub, where the Partners statue is now.  You can see the castle in the background.  I don't have time now to research it, but I know the Partners statue was added some time after the MK had been open for a while.  That round planter may be where the statue stands today.

This photo is from August 1983, which corroborates your theory.

2010_05_10_16_50_57.jpg

This photo is from August 1983, which corroborates your theory.

2010_05_10_16_50_57.jpg

It certainly does!  You can see the same lampposts with the round globes in Yodagirl's photo.

Thanks for posting your photo.

I like those oak trees that used to be there, but I understand why they had to go.  They are already blocking most of the castle view from there.  In Yodagirl's 1987 photo they blocked the castle even more. Imagine if they kept on growing.

TCD

I had originally thought the hub, but I couldn't place the trees with the hub I remember (my memories are foggy from the late 80s/early 90s trips). I figured it must've been off to the side with a side-view shot of the castle through the trees, but you guys are absolutely right. It is the hub.

The 200 was for the 200th turkey leg FWG ate. It was quite a celebration, as I recall.

The 200 was for the 200th turkey leg FWG ate. It was quite a celebration, as I recall.

I stand corrected.

So, you hit 200 in 1987?

You must be closing in on 500 by now.  Is this why they didn't announce a theme for this year?  They're going to break this news right before your next visit, right?

It's amazing that you're still alive.

TCD

Cleaned out the attic of our old house over the weekend. I took some pictures of some things I found. Not as impressive as some of the pics others have posted, but a little old school nonetheless.

Proof that YodaGirl is (was?) an official member of the Mickey Mouse Club. Come to think of it, there's another certificate somewhere from the mid 80s. Anyway, this one came with a watch (didn't get a pic of it) and the magazine you see next to it. It also came with a sheet of stickers that I may or may not have used to decorate the underside of my storage chest lid when I was 8.

imagejpg4.jpg

A shopping bag from some point...

d3384257-1a23-4085-b6b0-1e5badba23ab.jpg

Mickey Mouse 60 Years with You scarf:

c7dd5365-64df-462d-b89a-9492b4188821.jpg

A certificate from Minnie's Menehune Breakfast at the Polynesian:

imagejpg3.jpg

I tried editing that picture, but it's still showing sideways. Idk.

Cleaned out the attic of our old house over the weekend. I took some pictures of some things I found. Not as impressive as some of the pics others have posted, but a little old school nonetheless.

Proof that YodaGirl is (was?) an official member of the Mickey Mouse Club. Come to think of it, there's another certificate somewhere from the mid 80s. Anyway, this one came with a watch (didn't get a pic of it) and the magazine you see next to it. It also came with a sheet of stickers that I may or may not have used to decorate the underside of my storage chest lid when I was 8.

imagejpg4.jpg

A shopping bag from some point...

d3384257-1a23-4085-b6b0-1e5badba23ab.jpg

Mickey Mouse 60 Years with You scarf:

c7dd5365-64df-462d-b89a-9492b4188821.jpg

A certificate from Minnie's Menehune Breakfast at the Polynesian:

imagejpg3.jpg

I tried editing that picture, but it's still showing sideways. Idk.

Cool stuff!

Was there a Mickey Mouse Club TV show in the '80's?  I assume that it was for the Disney Channel?  That was a premium channel that you would have to subscribe to.

I took the TCD girls to the character breakfast at the Polynesian when the twins were still in high chairs.  They had not met any characters before, and it did not go well.  Mrs. TCD and I ended up having to hold one twin each, as they were scared of the giant mice and dogs wandering around.

TCD