Welcome To WDW 1970's/ 80's and 90's

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have an awesome thread going here, Todd. I got to see that balloon in action flying over Bay Lake in 1994. I haven't seen it since. It was called Earship 1 or something like that . I wonder what

Posted Images

You don't mean it's the Fort Apache playground next to the dog park, do you?

There did used to be a playground on the left as you enter the 1400 loop, but the area depicted in that photo looks too wide open to be that little one at the 1400 loop entrance.

TCD

Yes there was a big playground on the left of the 1400 loop before

Back to that playground photo you posted, Todd.

I did a little super sleuthing, and found the collection that photo came from:  http://jupiter.smugmug.com/Disney/Old-Disney-Photos/22727457_Gh3qfv#!i=1822163848&k=t9Qqhnh

If you look at the whole collection, it looks like this family was staying at the Polynesian Resort, and then visited the Fort for the Hoop Dee Doo Revue.  All the other photos of the Fort from that collection are from around the Settlement, so I say these photos are of the Settlement playground, not the playground at the 1400 loop:

bradleyPhotos_069-XL.jpg

bradleyPhotos_070-XL.jpg

bradleyPhotos_081-XL.jpgbradleyPhotos_086-XL.jpg

bradleyPhotos_088-XL.jpg

Those are some cool old photos!

TCD

I love that map.

Discovery Island is called Blackbeard's Island. It was only called that for a little while. After that it was Treasure Island, then Discovery Island.

The campfire is down by the Settlement.  There is an Archery Range in the area where the campfire area currently sits.

There are only five loops.

There is only one trading post.

Pioneer Hall isn't on the map- it wasn't built until 1974.

There are no pools.  Just the beach.

The Wilderness Swamp Trail is called the Sweet Bay Swamp Nature Walk.

No River Country yet- that won't come along until 1976.  You can see that the map shows Tri-Circle-D ranch there.  The current horse barn/ petting zoo area was not built yet.

The location of the Reception Outpost is near where the hitch/unhitch area is today.  The current drive-through lanes weren't built until 1974.

The Fort Wilderness Railroad isn't shown on the map- it also was not yet there when Fort Wilderness first opened to guests.

There is no Bike Barn.

Bus stops aren't shown on the map.  Somebody drew a couple on it.

The 500 loop is shown with its original name:  "Toupelo" Trail.  What I don't know is whether that's a typo on the map, or if they really spelled it that way.  I have never heard of a Toupelo.  Tupelo yes, but not Toupelo.  Since the other loops are named after trees indigenous to the area, I assume that the intention was to name the 500 loop after Tupelo trees.  But it's not spelled right if that was the intention.

TCD

Andrew I knew you would like that map. Think it as to be from 71 or 72

Yes, I have actually seen this exact map before.  It definitely pre-dates 1974.

I forgot to mention the STOLPort- it's shown on the locator map on the bottom left corner.

I wish I had visited the Fort at this time- it sure would have been different from the Fort we know today.

TCD

The 500 loop is shown with its original name:  "Toupelo" Trail.  What I don't know is whether that's a typo on the map, or if they really spelled it that way.  I have never heard of a Toupelo.  Tupelo yes, but not Toupelo.  Since the other loops are named after trees indigenous to the area, I assume that the intention was to name the 500 loop after Tupelo trees.  But it's not spelled right if that was the intention.

TCD

It just goes to show you.....Idiot Managers at the Fort is not a new phenomenon.