Welcome To WDW 1970's/ 80's and 90's

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have an awesome thread going here, Todd. I got to see that balloon in action flying over Bay Lake in 1994. I haven't seen it since. It was called Earship 1 or something like that . I wonder what

Posted Images

Where is their cage? Where is the wire canopy or rope sides?  Are they tethered?  Seems hard to believe that birds were once allowed to be close to people without bars in between.

Welcome to the world before everyone siuted over everthing

The one thing that I can't get over is the wings on the Contemporary. For some reason I never thought they were part of the original construction.

The water level looks soooo high.  Like those wings at the Contemporary are almost under water!  

I noticed that too:

waterbridge4_zpsc981bdb3.jpg

It also looks like the water bridge is not quite done.

I think they added a lot of fill around those wings of the Contemporary after this photo was taken.

I wish there were more photos like this that showed the entire area around Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon at this stage of the project.

TCD

I think without those bulkheads the wings would be in Bay Lake today.

No doubt.

When I first began to visit the Fort, they did not have seawalls all the way along the canal adjacent to the Contemporary Resort.  The MK boat had to slow way down to try and not make a wake.  The canal sides up by the parking lot and monorail were just lined with large rocks.  The soil still eroded.  Now, they have seawalls along the whole length.

TCD

The one thing that I can't get over is the wings on the Contemporary. For some reason I never thought they were part of the original construction.

Same here. I always thought the wings were slapped up after they realized how popular the Contemporary was and realized they didn't have enough capacity. Guess I was wrong.

Oh, oh, yeah...I forgot something:

They look like crap.

I missed one of the cards from the souvenir pack.  For some reason I no longer have the postcard, only the small index photo that was beside it in the book.  Cool idea, actually.  You could send the postcard to someone and still have a miniature version of it to keep for yourself.  Maybe I sent the card to my Grandma.

Here it is -- the quality is not as good since the card is smaller.

FW_Postcard7.jpg

This looks like the Marshmallow Marsh Excursion.

From a Fort Wilderness postcard souvenir book from the 1970s:

Does anyone else remember this?

FW_Postcard1.jpg

Caption from the back: FT. WILDERNESS STORE-ON-WHEELS  A convenient store-on-wheels lets Ft. Wilderness guests purchase fresh fruits, vegetables, and other food items right at their campsite.  Ft. Wilderness offers over 700 campsites with more planned for the future.

I remember this and the steam locomotive from out first fort visit in the fall of 77.  The truck used to come around in the morning so you could purchase breakfast items.  It had a chugging soundtrack that played, and when they stopped they rang one of those triangle shaped chuckwagon bells.  Also the Meadow trading post had fresh meats and vegetables along with a nice deli and a good selection of groceries.

Wow!!  That boat in the background looks weighed down in back. 

I know first thing I thought

Wow, you guys are good.  I didn't even notice the boat.

Speaking of weighed down back ends:

thunder1_zpsbed60cc2.jpg

Great find on that photo, Todd.

These are from a filming of the Thunder in Paradise show.

That style of bathing suit was in that very short time period between when I finished school and met Mrs. TCD.

Those were the days.

TCD