Welcome To WDW 1970's/ 80's and 90's

From a Fort Wilderness postcard souvenir book from the 1970s:

Does anyone else remember this?

FW_Postcard1.jpg

Caption from the back: FT. WILDERNESS STORE-ON-WHEELS  A convenient store-on-wheels lets Ft. Wilderness guests purchase fresh fruits, vegetables, and other food items right at their campsite.  Ft. Wilderness offers over 700 campsites with more planned for the future.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have an awesome thread going here, Todd. I got to see that balloon in action flying over Bay Lake in 1994. I haven't seen it since. It was called Earship 1 or something like that . I wonder what

Posted Images

I still miss the train.

FW_Postcard2.jpg

Caption from the back:  GOOFY HELPS WATER THE TRAIN  Goofy helps water a thirsty locomotive at the Ft. Wilderness railroad water tank.  The Ft. Wilderness trains, like the ones used in the Theme Park, are powered by authentic steam locomotives.

Ah, camping in the deep woods with Mickey balloons.

FW_Postcard3.jpg

Caption from the back:  FORT WILDERNESS  In the heart of Walt Disney World, at Fort Wilderness, vacationing guests relax in wooded campsites and take part in a wide variety of outdoor recreation.

Watch out for the train and the special guest engineer!

FW_Postcard5.jpg

Caption from the back:  HORSEBACK RIDING AT FT. WILDERNESS  As the narrow guage (sic) steam train passes in the background, two Ft. Wilderness campers enjoy one of the more popular sports in the Vacation Kingdom Campground.  With many miles of trails and bridle paths horseback riding is an excellent way to see the beautiful Ft. Wilderness area.

Some of the sites on 1400 and 600 back up pretty close to the canal.  but they don't look like what's pictured at all.  The horse trail is up front and doesn't go by any water.  Disney has always and still does take great liberties with the pictures and videos they use in advertisements.  If you look at the last Disney planning DVD I got you would think the are no paved roads or sidewalks anywhere in the campground.  They show a big class A driving down a dirt road and bikes on dirt paths.

I missed one of the cards from the souvenir pack.  For some reason I no longer have the postcard, only the small index photo that was beside it in the book.  Cool idea, actually.  You could send the postcard to someone and still have a miniature version of it to keep for yourself.  Maybe I sent the card to my Grandma.

Here it is -- the quality is not as good since the card is smaller.

FW_Postcard7.jpg

We were there in 1977 and 1978.  It sure is different now.  We did not go again until about 1996 and have been every year (1 or more times) since then.  We have been more than 35 times.  It is great watching WDW grow.   But I loved the way it was back then too.

Thanks Todd. Guess I know what song will be going thru my head all day today.