Anyone coming to Florida and not used to our heat, it's so important to drink a lot of water.

A bottle of water at the parks is $2.50, and you can easily drink 10 of them a day.

Kids especially, will sometimes gripe over plain old water with all of the other good stuff WDW sells.

A lot of companies are making the powder packets that you add to a bottle of water. Gatorade, Lipton teas, Propel fitness waters & even Walmart has their own Great Value brands.

We can hardly keep Propel Water in stock at the gym, people love them as an alternative to plain water.

Propel has a new powder that has not made it into bottled form yet. Raspberry Lemonade! Delicious!

powderflavours_raspberrylemonade.png

When we plan on going to a park, we stuff a few flavors in our pocket and buy one bottle of water. When we want another one, we fill it in the water fountains, add our powder of choice and suck it back!

Just a tidbit for saving money on drinks, especially with the little ones! :)

I thought you could ask for water at the counters with fountain sodas or did they stop that now.

Yes! Every counter that has a fountain pop machine will give free glasses of ice water! They don't mind, and are usually happy to do it!

Another thing to consider is that pure water is the best for you. We found that out the hard way a couple of weeks ago when DH developed a kidney stone. He works outside all day in the FL heat, and gets dehydrated easily. We fell for the advertisements that say that Gatorade and similar drinks are better for you, because they replenish the minerals that you lose by sweating. What we didn't know is that those minerals will stack up in your kidneys and cause kidney stones. So, with the doctor's orders, he stopped drinking Gatorade and just drinks plain water now. 2 gallons per day, when working outside, is what the doctor said.

If you want to drink the other drinks, always supplement them 1:1 with a glass of pure water too. Same with coffee. Always have a glass of water after drinking a cup of coffee.

Thanks for the reminder Stefa70!! :)

I'll save the 2.50 from the initial bottle and take my own one in. 1. The money goes toward the bail fund. 2. The bottle I use has a wider mouth (don't go there) and can be refilled easier.

We enjoy the packets too, but are ok with regular H20.

Thanks for the reminder Stef!

Yes! Every counter that has a fountain pop machine will give free glasses of ice water! They don't mind, and are usually happy to do it!

Another thing to consider is that pure water is the best for you. We found that out the hard way a couple of weeks ago when DH developed a kidney stone. He works outside all day in the FL heat, and gets dehydrated easily. We fell for the advertisements that say that Gatorade and similar drinks are better for you, because they replenish the minerals that you lose by sweating. What we didn't know is that those minerals will stack up in your kidneys and cause kidney stones. So, with the doctor's orders, he stopped drinking Gatorade and just drinks plain water now. 2 gallons per day, when working outside, is what the doctor said.

If you want to drink the other drinks, always supplement them 1:1 with a glass of pure water too. Same with coffee. Always have a glass of water after drinking a cup of coffee.

Thanks for the reminder Stefa70!! :)

As for the free water, it's just easier for me to buy one as the propel powder is intended for 16.9 oz. bottle of water and I don't want to guess at the amount. If it's not that much, it's too potent for my taste, too much water and you're wasting your money, just drink the water.

As for the Gatorade/kidney stone correlation, I have never heard of that. Running a gym for 25 years we have sold millions of bottles and never had anyone say they had gotten kidney stones because of them.

Because we are working on getting a kidney for my Aunt, we have learned WAY more than we ever wanted to know about kidneys. Kidney stones can be attributed to high sodium intake (If that's all he was drinking combined with all the sodium he consumes with food) family history, and most importantly, dehydration itself.

I personally don't drink Gatorade because of the sugars and sodium. Propel has neither of these. However, our marathon runners, bodybuilders, and power lifters swear by them "post workout" to replace the electrolytes they have lost. Which is also why UF created it.

Strange but true: people have died from drinking too much water also!

Everything in moderation. :) ( Yes, Genia, that includes beer and food :P )

I didn't mean to start a debate on what you should or shouldn't drink or why you should or shouldn't, just to say there are better and cheaper alternatives to soda or plain old boring water (in kids' eyes)

The bottle I use has a wider mouth

That's just too easy! :beathorse:

I have another beverage tip for hot days at the MK. Before you leave the Fort in the morning, take a bottle of water and drink it. Fill the empty bottle with vodka and take it into the park. Drink the vodka about 30 minutes before riding Small World. Those little dancing dolls will be really freaking hilarious to you.

That will work with tequila at Epcot too, and everything is hilarious!

They make beer packets for the water bottle?

Yes, and fried pork chops! :cop:

I have another beverage tip for hot days at the MK. Before you leave the Fort in the morning, take a bottle of water and drink it. Fill the empty bottle with vodka and take it into the park. Drink the vodka about 30 minutes before riding Small World. Those little dancing dolls will be really freaking hilarious to you.

They make beer packets for the water bottle?

Both excellent ideas!!

Hate to add a serious note to a very good hijack, but Ultima Replenisher also makes electrolyte replacing flavored packets you can add to water. The advantage to theirs is that they contain no petro-chemicals made from crude oil. The consumption of petro-chemicals has been linked to decreases in self-control, esp. in children. So if you don't want that late day meltdown in the middle of WDW, avoid the petro-chemicals!!

The consumption of petro-chemicals PUNCH has been linked to decreases in self-control, esp. in children Adults. So if you don't want that late day NIGHT meltdown in the middle of WDW Da Fort, avoid the petro-chemicals PUNCH!!

No worries Marty, I fixed it.

And luckily, since I save money from not buying water, I have already purchased for September:

2 750 of Clear

1 750 of Strawberry Vodka

1 1.750 of Strawberry Vodka

I've told the punch cook, that I won't freeload off of her man.

:clint:

If anyone is looking for a good water bottle, especially in this heat, check out the Hydroflask

http://www.hydroflask.com/

I have one and it's amazing. I can put ice and water in it in the morning, leave it in my car in the sun all day in the parking lot, and at 5pm there's still ice in it. They're pricey but sturdy as all get out. In fact we had another one, but we accidentally rolled a Navigator over on it...

5943802149_cd27222759_z.jpg

Funny thing is that I could have still used the thing - the cover still fit!

I have tried a lot of the designer electrolyte recovery drinks while racing. They work so much better than gatorade. Propel is pretty good for too something that is sold nearly everywhere. My personal favorite is Pedialite. It works just as good as those that are harder to find and much more expensive.

I bought a water bottle from Walmart that has a zip up cover and a clip. We fill it up with ice and then water before we leave for the morning. At first I was upset that the water bottle is not as insulated as it appears. However, the secret benefit is that the ice melts nicely to double your fresh water. DH, DD, and I will usually empty it out in about 3 hours in the parks. I don't know how many ounces it is, but it is a JUG. We also supplement with Minute Maid Light (purchase one or two) and Capri Sun 100% juice boxes (in DD's lunchbox under the stroller) when we are sick of plain water. She goes through about 3 or 4. All of this in a 3-4 hour morning at the parks between breakfast and lunch.

Wow - we are serious drinkers, aren't we? :rofl2:

Oh and guys don't forget fruit has water in it too - I pack apple slices in DD's lunchbox for all to share.

But, everyone feels great - and we live in Carolina so we're used to the heat!

Another great travel bottle is this one...

http://www.gocontigo.com/autoseal-stainless-steel-travel-mug.html

And look - it comes in purple!!

Autoseal%20WL_Purple.jpg

I got a non-purple one as a Christmas gift and love it. It's double-walled stainless and will keep water cold for ages - almost as long as the Hydroflask.

I also love the lid - you push the button and it opens the spot at the top where you drink. No caps to take on/off, easy to drink from and no leaking - even if I toss it into the car.