Goin' with the Flow- TCD's Disney Dream Trip Report

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheap plastic Mickey medals brings out the worst in people.

Foul, foul, foul, I'm calling for the "Mickey Cheap Plastic Medal" judge to rule on this bogus and outrages medal fraud. I say they're pity medals and should be disallowed as real cheap Mickey plastic

I may not read TRs but I sometimes look at the photos. Uh, whadya think, I'm blind? Did I notice, of course I did. But I have to ask the obvious question.

Posted Images

Here are few things that I did that can be added to the LOF:

Find and collect the names of as many American CMs as you can. There aren't that many.

Meet and greet with the Captain and Hotel Ops manager. Not that difficult.

Try to finagle a behind the scenes tour from the Cruise Director. Chances are slim to none.....for you.

Win a "cheap plastic Mickey medal". The key word is, WIN. TCD will attest to the fact that wining one is not that easy.

Take a photo of CM taking a photo of you with your camera. This one is easy, if you have two cameras.

What a great TR! Thanks for taking us along on your trip!!! I learned a lot about cruising (and other random subjects :rofl2: ) and had fun reading!

It really came at a perfect time. We were on our way home from WDW and discussing how we would get back there next year. Then, we somehow found ourselves talking about doing a cruise. I told DH that I would get some info and let him know what I thought. Opened up my laptop somewhere in Georgia and BAM there is a TCD report from a cruise! I think it's a sign...

Thanks again!!! :wave1:

Fantastic trip report TCD! I was amazed on the last morning with the amount of luggage in that big room. I really thought we would see a pic of that. The amount of bags some people had was crazy. I was sorry to give up my bed, those mattresses were heaven.

This weekend would be a good one to go to the Fort. Then again isn't every weekend....

:bellringer:

You know, that's not a bad idea.

Atrium Olympics looks fun.....watch out for the East German judge though.

Hmm...you would think last meal on the ship would be excellent so customers don't leave with a bad taste in their mouth.....so to speak.

Somehow, they kick you off the boat so efficiently that it doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth. It is more a feeling of shock and what just happened?

The worst part is knowing that somebody else will be in YOUR Stateroom that same day.

They'll be sleeping in YOUR bed, eating YOUR food, and having YOUR fun.

I'm going to skip the last day of the cruise next time.

You are right.

If you figure out a way to skip the last day let me know.

Awesome as always TCD! If they ever start pet friendly cruises, I'm in. So does anyone just skip breakfast and skedaddle off the ship, or don't they allow that?

They actually announced something I hadn't heard of before on this cruise.

They said if you wanted to, you could keep your luggage in your room, and they would make an announcement in the morning when anyone who wanted to could just grab their stuff and leave.

I think that announcement was made at 7 am.

I also think that it would be OK to skip breakfast and leave. Not on all cruiselines, but on DCL I think they would allow it.

Found the hidden Joker.

I am sad to see it end.

When do you go to the Fort next.

TRIP REPORT! TRIP REPORT! TRIP REPORT!

Good job on finding the hidden joker.

I wondered if anyone would.

Awesome report, loved it! I had the chills at the end :(

When we came off our cruise last September of 7 days on the Magic, we were staying the night of our return in our DSL condo in Cocoa Beach. So we all went for dinner at Fishlips and watched OUR ship and OUR room sail right back out that night. Yes, it is strange. We can't wait to go on the Fantasy next September. Thanks for the journey, it was really fun.

I don't think I would like doing that.

I do want to go to Fishlips sometime, but not right after a cruise.

I also found the hidden joker! Excellent placement, sir.

Sad to see this trip report end...but I stand in anticipation of wonderful things to come! I'm referring to your next TR of course.

Good job to you to.

And, standing in anticipation of wonderful things to come? Really? Over a trip report? I think instead of looking forward to that, you should look in to taking a trip yourself. How about that?

Awesome TR sir.....as usual.

The way a vacation meanders and then comes full circle at the end is deflating. For all the money,time, and miles, you are left with memories. If those memories are fond and often recalled , there is little doubt that the trade off is worthwhile. In your case, I believe the scales are tilted heavily in your favor.

Not get to theFort! ;)

Thanks.

And for sure, the trip was worth it. I have spent a considerable amount of time figuring out a way to swing another one soon.

Found the joker!!

I want you to start it over. Add new pictures...

Can you give us the list of things that didn't get done on the LOF? Maybe we can make it a fiend challenge to get one of those items done on our own cruises....

No on the starting over.

But, I will point out what I missed on the LOF. I personally did not:

Take a photo with Rex or Mr. Ray.

See Brave and Midnight movie.

or Play Goofy Golf.

The waving at the TV and waterskiing things were scratched.

So, I would say I did pretty good.

TCD

TCD, I know what you mean about the end, fortunately we did a 4-day cruise and then spent the remaining 3 days at WDW, so that softened the blow. However, our next cruise is a 7-day from Sat - Sat, still debating if we want to drop by WDW for the rest of the day on Saturday and make our way home Sunday, or just head home Saturday. Also, a lot of that depends on if we fly or drive, and that hasn't been determined yet.

Are there any deleted scenes or "making of" special features at the end of this trip report?

That is a great idea.

But no.

This one is long enough. I need to take another trip and start over.

Wow, thank you for such a great report. I always feel like I've finished a good book when I finish one of your TRs.

Now I just need to go figure out a way to budget a DCL cruise...

Thanks.

There are some really good Florida resident rates being offered on September cruises. Hopefully for us the demand stays down and there will be more deals later in the year and in the spring.

Here are few things that I did that can be added to the LOF:

Find and collect the names of as many American CMs as you can. There aren't that many.

Meet and greet with the Captain and Hotel Ops manager. Not that difficult.

Try to finagle a behind the scenes tour from the Cruise Director. Chances are slim to none.....for you.

Win a "cheap plastic Mickey medal". The key word is, WIN. TCD will attest to the fact that wining one is not that easy.

Take a photo of CM taking a photo of you with your camera. This one is easy, if you have two cameras.

Those are all good suggestions.

Have you done any of those?

If yes, lets see the pics.

BTW- Jerry, who the girls hit it off with, is from Connecticut. He basically shared his life story with the girls. He graduated college a couple of years ago with a teaching degree and can't find a job. He had been substitute teaching and somehow found his way to DCL. He only intends to do one contract, then try again to find full time work at home. Another castmember they got to know was Grace. Grace was from Mississippi. Also a recent college grad. She had been a castmember in WDW- working as a "friend of" Eeyore and Rafiki at character breakfasts an such. The girls really enjoyed talking to her. It seems that with the US employment situation being what it is, there are more Americans on the crew than in the past.

we want special features!!!!

Sorry, but there are none available.

Maybe another time.

What a great TR! Thanks for taking us along on your trip!!! I learned a lot about cruising (and other random subjects :rofl2: ) and had fun reading!

It really came at a perfect time. We were on our way home from WDW and discussing how we would get back there next year. Then, we somehow found ourselves talking about doing a cruise. I told DH that I would get some info and let him know what I thought. Opened up my laptop somewhere in Georgia and BAM there is a TCD report from a cruise! I think it's a sign...

Thanks again!!! :wave1:

It must be a sign! Also, I have seen some banner ads on this report advertising special rates on the Dream. It must be meant to be!

This is a great TR, for sure. I may take some heat for this, but it also reinforces my belief that we would not enjoy a cruise. It just seems too structured and limiting for my spur of the moment type of family.

No heat from me.

I know some folks don't like cruises.

It is structured, but not too much so in my opinion.

However, if you don't like it, you are kind of trapped.

Fantastic trip report TCD! I was amazed on the last morning with the amount of luggage in that big room. I really thought we would see a pic of that. The amount of bags some people had was crazy. I was sorry to give up my bed, those mattresses were heaven.

I remember signs from previous cruises from the Department of Homeland Security threatening bad things if any photos were taken of the big room and also of the security that you have to go through when entering the terminal. I don't remember seeing any this time. But, I did not take any photos. If it was OK to do so, I should have-that big room with all the luggage is quite a sight.

I agree with you about the beds-very comfortable!

TCD

As far as taking pictures of luggage in the big customs room, I think there are signs that say no pictures allowed, if I remember correctly.

You were posted this while I was typing my response, above. I don't remember seeing the signs this time, but I'm sure they are there.

They are kind of serious in this area, and I should have mentioned to those reading along that you have to stop and speak to a customs agent. I think if they wanted to, they could search your bags and otherwise make your life miserable, so I kind of keep a low profile when leaving the ship.

TCD, I know what you mean about the end, fortunately we did a 4-day cruise and then spent the remaining 3 days at WDW, so that softened the blow. However, our next cruise is a 7-day from Sat - Sat, still debating if we want to drop by WDW for the rest of the day on Saturday and make our way home Sunday, or just head home Saturday. Also, a lot of that depends on if we fly or drive, and that hasn't been determined yet.

Since we are lucky enough to go to WDW as much as we do, a stop on the way home wasn't that attractive to us. We are usually pretty wiped out after a cruise. We are lucky to have not too bad a drive home. If I had to drive longer, I might like a short stay at WDW to soften the blow. What I would have a hard time with, though, is having to pay for meals and room service. That would be a big adjustment so close to the cruise.

TCD

Since I am unlikely to cruise in the near future, I am trying to live vicariously through your TR. I was wondering what the 3 choices for breakfast that last morning were. Are talking cold cereal, or a danish, or yogurt? Or is there hot food?

What, you haven't replaced Jeeves yet?

Nope. I am Jeeves.

Since I am unlikely to cruise in the near future, I am trying to live vicariously through your TR. I was wondering what the 3 choices for breakfast that last morning were. Are talking cold cereal, or a danish, or yogurt? Or is there hot food?

No-it's hot food.

It was something like a breakfast platter (eggs, bacon, potatoes, toast), an omelet (ham and cheese- pre-made) or a waffle. There was a name for each item. As a matter of fact, I just googled it , and found the menu. I don't remember there being this many choices, Make sure to read the name of each item. A subtle hint to eat and get the heck out:

Chef's Farewell - large open-faced omelet topped with barbecued chicken, green peppers, onions and melted swiss cheese

Route 66 - scrambled eggs, bacon, grilled sausage, grilled ham and hash browns

Almost Home - Corn beef hash, fried eggs and bacon skillet topped with fried onions

Eggs for the Road - scrambled fried or boiled and serve with hash browsn and your choice of breakfast meat (bacon, grilled sausage, grilled ham)

Omelet Map - Denver, ham and cheese, plain, served with hash browns (Egg Beaters available upon request)

For a Sweet Journey - buttermilk pancakes, blueberry pancakes, whole wheat pancakes, Belgium waffles (all served with honey or breakfast syrup)

On the Move (lighter fare) - lightly grilled vegetables, guacamole, tomato salsa encased in a whole wheat tortilla

Lox and Bagel - a traditional favorite served with cream cheese

The breakfast was not bad- it was just that the message was clear- please hurry up and eat and get off the ship.

TCD

Another great report.

I especially enjoyed your gymnastics, if that's what we're calling it.

While I'm sorry to see it end, I'm also looking forward to you getting back to the Fort, it's where you belong. :)

Thanks for sharing all the ship photos, but more importantly your beautiful family shots. It was great to see Mrs TCD included.

Thanks for adding the menu. Gee whiz, the Great TCD googled for me. I feel very honored. :thewave1:

Any time, Marty.

And thanks for reading!

WOW! That was a great trip report.

Thanks!

Another great report.

I especially enjoyed your gymnastics, if that's what we're calling it.

While I'm sorry to see it end, I'm also looking forward to you getting back to the Fort, it's where you belong. :)

Thanks for sharing all the ship photos, but more importantly your beautiful family shots. It was great to see Mrs TCD included.

Thanks, Stef.

We had a lot of fun this summer. But, none of it was at the Fort. You are right- the Fort is where I belong.

It was great to have the whole family together. It is getting harder and harder to do.

Thanks for sharing your cruise with us. Your pictures were awesome and your quest to complete the LOF was hilarious. I am now anxiously awaiting my turn.

Thanks, Cherie.

That LOF needs some tweaking.

There are some things that we should add for your trip.

It was a truly excellent TR.

Thanks. I appreciate all the comments from you and the other diligent readers.

:bravo: Another smash hit of a TR! DCL looks like it is to die for! Z Snap!

It is wonderful that you had the entire family together for such a special trip.

I am very sad that I missed the voting on tighty or tidey. I do have an opinion but alas...... it doesn't matter now. :(

I'll tell you what- I am going to reopen the voting.

I am willing to let your vote count, and since you are surrounded by men-folk in your home, your vote should count for more.

So, what does KFK say: tidy or tighty?

Ahh, I'm so sad to see the TR end! It was amazing seeing the cruise through your eyes. Thanks for sharing! :wave1:

Do not be sad.

There will be another TCD TR before long.

And, until then, I hope that you read some of the other great reports still underway here on ff.net.

TCD

All I have to say is Oh.My.Gosh. I barely missed being on the Dream with the TCD family! And, I just missed tuning into this TR while it was still active. I've been off FF for far too long - life has been much more crazy than I like since our trip to the Fort in March, and I just haven't been to FF.net in too long.

So all that is to say is, well done on a great report! You'll see several similar things on a TR that I'm working on, less a bunch of TCD awesomeness, plus some different stuff as well.

Glad to see the TCD gang again, plus ol' FF friends who are still posting here since I've been so horribly absent!