2013 evening extra magic hours cut to 2 hours

Reports are that this doesn't take effect until 2013 (I don't have confirmation of that yet), but the WDW website has already been changed to reflect cutting back evening extra magic hours from 3 hours to 2...

Each day, one of the 4 Walt Disney World theme parks opens one hour early or remains open up to 2 hours after regular closing time. Additionally, Disney Water Parks offer Extra Magic Hours during select times of year.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plan/calendar/extramagichours/

evening emh are what we take advantage of for "date night" when we are there. DW and I usually got to epcot durig emh after dinner to walk the WS without the kids....usually until midnight....it will not make us happy but maybe we'll walk to the boardwalk afterward to end the night.

No one on the outside really knows what the occupancy rate is at the resorts as Disney doesn't release numbers on anything. It's all guess work.

Based on my observations, occupancy seems to be ok at all the resorts considering the economy.

So much so that the WDW bus transportation department, which is the department that transports 90% of all resort guests, not the silly but cool looking monorails, has increased in size by 30% to handle the extra resort guest load.

I think the hour reduction will have absolutely no effect on occupancy ratings. People don't book on EMHs.

Mo and some others aren't happy about, but Mo is still coming to WDW whether or not it's a 2 or 3 hour EMH.

E

ventually, I'm afraid they are going to keep on to the point that even us dedicated folks decide that we just can't afford it or that it's not worth it any longer. They did that with the Florida resident ap's, but then did the monthly payment plan to get us back. Of course, we love it and wanted to go back. I guess there will be thousands to replace us when we decide they've finally gone too far.

Don't like this at all. We're night people (getting to park at 10:30 a.m. would be early for us). Late night as crowds dwindle has always been the most enjoyable time at any of the parks, even AK when they kept it open. Still miss the E ride nights you had to pay extra for. Crowds were almost non existent. Well, now that we will be bringing the TT gives us an excuse to hang out at campground more. Still, just not sure why they would cut the hours and reduce a benifit on-site guest have come to enjoy and somewhat expect. Hmmm, wonder when they will offer special hours to VC owners only since that seems to be the business model now.

Still, just not sure why they would cut the hours and reduce a benifit on-site guest have come to enjoy and somewhat expect.

Because no one uses them.

Im sure Disney studied this topic to death before making the decision. As much as people complain about Disney cutting benefits and raising prices, they are a company and look to turn the biggest profit they can. If we were privy to the numbers, Im sure we would see that most people do not stay the extra hour of a 3 hour EMH. With hardley anyone in the park, Disney still has a full staff on hand they are paying to make very little money. Yes, there is a handfull of folks who live for the 2 am closing, but that handfull is not going to pay for all of those cast members to keep the park running.

Because no one uses them.

Im sure Disney studied this topic to death before making the decision. As much as people complain about Disney cutting benefits and raising prices, they are a company and look to turn the biggest profit they can. If we were privy to the numbers, Im sure we would see that most people do not stay the extra hour of a 3 hour EMH. With hardley anyone in the park, Disney still has a full staff on hand they are paying to make very little money. Yes, there is a handfull of folks who live for the 2 am closing, but that handfull is not going to pay for all of those cast members to keep the park running.

That is a great point. You are absolutely right, that is what was awesome about those late nights! I wonder if they will possibly extend the extra hours during busier times?

That all makes sense - after all, the reason so many of us love PM EMH is because the parks empty out.

Great for those of us that stick around, but not so good for the bottom line when you have to keep staff and transportation running for a small group of people.

I still don't like it though...

In practice I would be upset, because in theory those late night Magic Hours are a great time to be in the park, and we did use them for a couple of trips, especially when my kids were teenagers and wouldn't get moving till the afternoon, but in reality, although we plan to use the late hours, we really don't anymore.

Great photos, Monique.

It is well known that the TCD gang loves a nice late EMH. The later the better.

But, it is true that the parks really thin out at the end of EMH's.

I don't like losing an hour.

But, I remember the dark days, right after 2001, when there were no EMH's. At all. None.

And, then there were E Ticket nights at MK. Those cost extra to attend, but we found that to be money well spent.

So, losing an hour of these free EMH's is not the end of the world.

TCD