Wig wams, baseball bats, and stingrays - Road Trip!

Have you ever stayed in a Wig Wam??? We have! This summer, we made our trip to visit family into more of an adventure for ourselves. This TR, we will visit Wig Wam Village #2, the Louisville Slugger museum, and the St. Louis Zoo. All within 48 hours.

So, let’s get this underway.

We left on a Sunday morning, and DD and DH did not know where we were going. They knew that we would end up at DSiL’s house at some point in St. Louis. I punched the address of our first stop in the GPS and off we went! Every hour (on the way to the Wig Wams) I gave DH a clue as to where we were going. I am a pretty decent clue giver and he is a very good clue getter. However, I’m pretty sure he didn’t even know the Wig Wams existed. By the time we were about an hour away, he had figured out that :

1. My stepmom and my brother and his family were meeting us there. (They all live in TN)

2. We were staying in a really old motel that wasn’t really a motel.

So, we arrive on a blistering summer day – I believe it is around 101 degrees locally.

44c09b62.jpg

We are in #11

b7ee8f07.jpg

Cool, huh? They were built like 75 years ago and originally there were several of these motels around the country. I think the only other one that still exists is on Route 66. Very Americana. Right up DH’s alley. Plus, I knew DD would get a kick out of it – she did think we were at the Cozy Cone. :heart:

I know you all want to see the inside – let me get more pictures loaded and get back to you.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy guacamole! I turn my back for a few minutes and I already have fiends! Yay!

This is going to be so cool!! Hurry, hurry, hurry!!!

I'm on it! Coming right up!

I want to see the inside!

I know of a Wig Wam place in Arizona. I actually looked into visiting there, but we never made that trip.

I didn't know there were others.

TCD

I wonder if that is on Route 66? Apparently that is the one that was parodied by the Cozy Cone in Cars. I tried telling DD we were in Radiator Springs but she kept saying "No, Mommy, we're in Kentucky." That's what we get for reading the road signs to her...

Okay, so we pull up and it definitely looks 75 years old! We go into the Main Office wig wam to check in. At some point, many years ago, it was a gift shop. Now, it just kinda looks junky. We got checked in and drove around to our wig wam.

Now, I’ll tell you I was nervous at this point. The common area was not very inviting looking and I was wondering if we were going to be brave enough to stay.

Thankfully, we opened the door to a very clean, more spacious than expected, room with an ice-cold A/C unit running.

The double bed – it was super-comfy:

24edc612.jpg

To the right of the bed:

698e3b7a.jpg

Across from the bed (sorry about the stuff on the floor - we already were unloading):

b6306194.jpg

The little dressing table was pretty cute. It had a coffee pot on it (yay!). My stepmom said she actually sat down and got ready for dinner at hers.

b1a2c85a.jpg

TV to the right of the A/C – things were looking good! We have 3 things that are really crucial to our optimal comfort: coffee pot, TV, ceiling fan.

be658b09.jpg

Nice. Very nice. And very clean – the room even had a pleasant lemony clean smell to it. We saw not a single bug the whole time we were in there.

Okay, on to the bathroom. It was pretty small, and the roof was really sloped in there – but for one night it was perfectly fine.

7a218158.jpg

5b771b08.jpg

64f87952.jpg

The shower was a bit dark – DD made me leave the curtain open for her when she took her shower.

c75de5eb.jpg

OH, I forgot to show you our artwork. We soon discovered this exact picture in my brother’s wig wam as well as my stepmom’s. Hilarious.

89d0cc66.jpg

Next, we decided to go outside and check out the village facilities while waiting for our family to arrive.

It was, well, interesting…

With all that Vera Bradley and the Longaberger basket

What, turn in the man card that you mistakenly thought you had after the pink drink and Sushi eating ordeals.

For those of you that have seen Cars, they do a take off on the "Wigwam Motel" chain with the "Cozy Cone Motel".

Wigwam Motel, #4, was in the Orlando area up until the mid 70s.

I want to see the inside!

I know of a Wig Wam place in Arizona. I actually looked into visiting there, but we never made that trip.

I didn't know there were others.

TCD

They seem kinda cute,per say. Good call on not driving all the way to Arizona to see one...lol

Well, the inside of a Wig Wam looks a lot bigger that I expected.

No need to apologize for the luggage. With all that Vera Bradley and the Longaberger basket, it looks like you are part of the TCD gang:

TCD

It was bigger than I expected too! You are very close on your branding - there is definitely some VB, but the basket is not Longaberger. A parent of one of my students made it for me about 10 years ago. It does get mistaken for Longaberger a lot - she did a great job on it!

This place is too cute!

I was pleasantly surprised when we went in!

Good catch, Andrew!

I agree, the place is cute and more spacious than you'd expect from the outside. Looking forward to more of your TR.

Thanks Gwen! I'll get an update for you soon!

I may have to pester the DH to check this place out!

It was fun!

What, turn in the man card that you mistakenly thought you had after the pink drink and Sushi eating ordeals.

For those of you that have seen Cars, they do a take off on the "Wigwam Motel" chain with the "Cozy Cone Motel".

Wigwam Motel, #4, was in the Orlando area up until the mid 70s.

That's right - there were also locations in Alabama, Louisiana, California, etc. I think many of them closed in the 70s, due to interstate highways becoming the new way to travel. Poor Cozy Cones.

They seem kinda cute,per say. Good call on not driving all the way to Arizona to see one...lol

Yes, they are cute and fun. But I would not do a long drive to see one!

This trip looks like fun. Inside is nice and bright, cool tile work in bathroom. Thanks for taking us along.

The tile work was nice and went along with the native American theming.

That is just too cool! I don't think I've see a TR that started with a night in a Wig Wam!

ETA - TCD is good, I couldn't even begin to identify designer bags by name!

Hey, maybe I've got a first! He did a good job with the bags - but he lives with 4 women, so I'm sure he gets a good sampling of all the fads!

I'm late, but I'm here!

I have to admit I was nervous about your accommodations after seeing the outside, but the insides look cute and clean.

Who knew that wig wams had ceiling fans?

I guess that's to help disperse the smoke from your peace pipe? 15_4_116.gif

I'm late, but I'm here!

I have to admit I was nervous about your accommodations after seeing the outside, but the insides look cute and clean.

Who knew that wig wams had ceiling fans?

I guess that's to help disperse the smoke from your peace pipe? 15_4_116.gif

Hey girl! Glad to see you here! I was pretty nervous when we drove up too - wasn't quite sure what to expect.

There is no smoking in the wig wam - take your peace pipe outside :rofl2:

So, we have arrived at the Wig Wam village and checked in. Here are some views of the village:

You can get ice here:

64acddec.jpg

The wig wams are in a U-shape around a large common area. The way the common area is kind of sunken in, makes me wonder if it didn’t used to be a little pond or something.

29ccab30.jpg

8015907c.jpg

The facilities are… well… in need of some TLC and an update. The playground pretty much looked like a death trap and DD was not allowed to use much of it. DH did take her to the slide.

913a30a1.jpg

3854ac5d.jpg

f87631f2.jpg

0ae9aeb3.jpg

Did I mention it was 100 degrees outside? Oh, and it’s 3:00 in the afternoon with not a cloud in the sky! Beautiful, and I love hot weather, but not really good for DD playing in an open field. Or sliding down a metal slide :bugeyes: .

See the multicolor plastic tube thing? It is an old McDonalds playland laying on its side. Very creepy looking – we did not allow DD in there.

I really wish they put as much effort in the outside as they do the inside of this place.

They had this mister thing set up. We turned it on and ran around a bit.

9a535e19.jpg

7aed9f25.jpg

And that’s about all she wrote for recreation! My family was running late due to a wreck on I-65, so we decided to "drive into town" and see Cave City.

BTW - I know it looks empty now, but by the time the sun goes down, every single wig wam is taken.

Next update, we will check out Cave City. I will leave you to talk amongst yourselves about the "recreational accomodations". :rofl2: