From War To Peace - Mini TR. Updated 8/5

For some of you long term fiends, you will know who Jordan is. For those who don't, I will give you a bit of back story.

Jordan is my son's BF. They met a couple of years ago and hit it off immediately! Jordan was essentially raised by a single Dad, who is a nurse at Shands hospital in Gainesville.

Translation: Jordan never really had a Mom around and Dad worked endless hours to support not only his own children, but also another young man (Mike) who's family left a lot to be desired.

Jordan fit into our family like a glove, and I couldn't love him any more than if I had given birth to him myself. He spent most days and nights here, including Christmas mornings.

Jordan had spent his high school years in ROTC, with the plan being to enroll in the Army. But before he left for boot camp, we took him on his first trip to the Fort and he instantly became a fiend.

November 2010 - Jordan's first Fort souvenir.

wdwnov2010080.jpg

And back again in January 2011.

Disney_002.jpg

wdwjan2011033.jpg

He was to leave at the end of January to begin boot camp in Georgia, then off to Washington for training before being deployed to Afghanistan. :(

We were all sad to see him leave. When we came back to the Fort in March, we brought GI Jordan with us.

march2011fort004.jpg

He rode bikes

march2011fort387.jpg

He drank beer

march2011fort380.jpg

Played cornhole

march2011fort079.jpg

And went to all the parks with us.

march2011fort121.jpg

march2011fort304.jpg

I had started a prayer thread for Jordo on FF.net, and got some great responses. I made an album with his Disney trip pictures and printed all the prayer/well wishes out and mailed them to him at boot camp. It was a great way to raise his spirits and give him a piece of home.

On our annual Nate's birthday trip, he got a brief leave (before being sent to Washington) and drove straight to the Fort at 6:00 AM to be with Nate.

memorialday2001nates21st233.jpg

We got one more brief visit in October, and then he was sent to Afghanistan.

We did our best to keep up with him through phone calls & facebook, but we thought about him constantly.

Every time we would get word that he was getting a leave, we would get excited, only to be then told it was going to be a "little while longer"

Frustration is an understatement!

He would post pictures when he could, to ease our fears. (Jordan is on the right)

559207_452116811487347_323939568_n.jpg

Now that I've given the back story, we will time travel to last week.

Jordan is finally given a date! He will be arriving in Tampa on Wednesday the 25th, sometime at night.

I was determined to be at the airport, at all costs. Because I open the gym at 4:00 am, I knew it was gonna be a long night/morning, but well worth it.

Wednesday comes and we are informed Jordan is now stuck in Kuwait and his papers aren't complete. It's looking like Friday evening before he arrives. :banghead:

I would go on a military rant right now, but it wouldn't do me any good, so we're just going to grin and bear it.

Friday rolls around and Mike comes over to tell us that FINALLY, it's set in stone.

Jordan will arrive in Orlando at 5:30 pm on Saturday. We had some friends over and "celebrated" on Friday night. Even with many beers and little sleep, we were going to be there when he got off that damn plane!

Continuing in next post...............

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For some of you long term fiends, you will know who Jordan is. For those who don't, I will give you a bit of back story. Jordan is my son's BF. They met a couple of years ago and hit it off immediatel

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story Stef. Tell Jordan thanks for his service to our country and the Fiends are proud. :usa:

You and the others have given him what he needed and before you know it, he'll be back. We're 100% behind him and all the other heroes.

I woke up early Saturday morning, excited to the point of nausea (could be the beer's fault too ;) )

Around 3:00 pm, we got word that Jordan's father, Mike and Jordan's uncle were heading out. We hopped in my Jeep and headed east.

*Amanda had to be in Fort Lauderdale this weekend for a baby shower, so she wasn't able to go. Her younger sister, Bobbi, went in her place.

Jordonhomecoming004.jpg

We stopped for gas and I needed caffeine!

White chocolate caramel cappuccino. Imagine for a second, ME, excited and all jacked up on caffeine!

Jordonhomecoming005.jpg

Have you ever seen a bumper sticker that says:

"If your not the lead dog, the view never changes"

That also applies to horses. <_<

Jordonhomecoming006.jpg

It seemed like HOURS before we came upon the airport sign. (it was really about 45 minutes)

Jordonhomecoming007.jpg

Our exit! :jumpforjoy

Jordonhomecoming008.jpg

After numerous tolls (Damn that Beeline Expressway!) Orlando International is in our sights.

Jordonhomecoming009.jpg

Jordonhomecoming010.jpg

Now my phone is blowing up with texts and calls from Mike.

"we're here, where are you guys?"

"we're gonna grab a bite to eat, let me know when you get here"

"Flight is delayed from Dusseldorf, it will be 5:32 pm:

Thanks Mike! Like I needed him to add to my anticipation. :drama:

We finally make our way up the parking garage.

Jordonhomecoming011.jpg

And drove up and down the aisles to find a parking space.

Phew, finally parked. In the elevator banks we found a family of armadillos. Only in Florida ::)

Jordonhomecoming012.jpg

Being at MCO, of course, Disney was not far from our minds.

Jordonhomecoming013.jpg

Riding up the escalator to the gates.

Jordonhomecoming014.jpg

Jordonhomecoming015.jpg

A quick "touristy" photo with Nate and Bobbi.

Jordonhomecoming016.jpg

Now, more texts from Mike.

"we're going out to the gates, tell them your meeting military and they'll let you out there with a pass"

The line through security was horrendous, as it usually is, and when we glanced at the arriving flight board, Jordan's plane was landing early at 5:15. It was just about 5:00 at this time, so we told Mike we would stay at the main hub and wait.

This would also give his immediate family a few minutes to greet him, before we went in for the attack.

Honestly this was the longest 15 minute wait of my life.

(Notice both mine and Nathen's half smiles. We were not in photo shoot mode, we just wanted to see Jordan home and healthy!)

Jordonhomecoming017.jpg

Even Trevor had a keen eye on the exit gate.

Jordonhomecoming018.jpg

The kids got as close as they could with being tackled by TSA.

Jordonhomecoming019.jpg

Nate was wearing his camo crocs, his Army shirt, and his Infantry hat that Jordo had left behind for him on his last visit. Bobbi had her camo shirt on, but left his sign she made in the truck.....I told you, we were excited and unfocused!

I'm wearing the dog tags that he had made for me. His picture is etched on the front, and on the back it says

Mother of an infantryman. I love you.

:heart:

Drumroll please...............We spot him! (directly under the word enter)

Jordonhomecoming020.jpg

And the picture that says it all!

Jordonhomecoming021.jpg

Funny conversation between two 20 ish men:

Jordan had called Nate on Monday and said

"Bro, when I get home, if I cry, it's not because I've become a pu**y, it's just I miss you guys so much!" :rofl2:

We all knew there would be tears.

I let Trevor be in charge of the videoing. I have trimmed it down to about 40 seconds to give you the gist.

Imagine the beginning, about 2 minutes of waiting, discussing how much longer, wondering what side he'd be on..... then about 2 minutes at the end, hugging, crying and chatting. (Most of the crying was me :hah: )

You will see Jordan spot Nate and run off to the left, and Bobbi intercept him at the pass before he could get there, the boys reunite, then me hold him like any mama would, and finally Jordo say "Pops!" (to Trevor, which turned the video into a view of a plant, wall and our feet, which is why I trimmed it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC_LE5BtUf8&feature=plcp

With the sobfest over, we made our way out.

Jordonhomecoming022.jpg

Jordonhomecoming023.jpg

Jordonhomecoming024.jpg

We piled in the elevator and I tried to get a shot of everyone, but cut poor Mike out. Oops.

Jordan's dad, Jordan, Trevor, uncle, Bobbi and Nate.

Jordonhomecoming025.jpg

One last look as we parted ways. Jordan was both excited and exhausted.

Jordonhomecoming026.jpg

We got back to Inverness, thrilled to death that we finally had him home safe. Nathen spent the evening at Jordan's house and I fell asleep around 9:00.

He will be home until the 13th, then back to Afghanistan until December. We're not going to think about that for now and concentrate on loving and squeezing him for the time being.

So many families aren't lucky enough to get their loved ones returned from war, we are going to savor every moment!

Thanks for riding along, and all the past support you guys have given. As much as I adore writing Disney trip reports, this one was extra special.

:hugs2:

This is gonna be a good one!!!!!!

Not only do we get a Stef trip report...which are "unique" and hilarious in their own right, but we have a real HERO participating!

I have the popcorn popped, and am anxiously awaiting to see how this plays out.

Oh, and one more thing. I'm #1!!!!

Wow, you guys are FAST!!

Yay for Dave being #1 :jumpforjoy

What an story so far. I am looking forward to hearing more.

I can't wait to hear more! I'm glad Jordan was able to get home for a while!

I'm in too. Can't wait to see Jordan home even if it's only for a short visit!

I'm in I'm In I'm In

I'm in too. This is so exciting!

Thanks for joining in! It's a short, but sweet one.

The best TR EVER!!!! I remember Jordan from your TR and also GI Jordan - that was so awesome!

I am SO glad he is home safe and sound for a while and you guys can sleep well.

Please tell him we said "Thank you." And DD says "Thank you for keeping the bad guys away"

:jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy

And, apparently, I do not wear waterproof mascara... :rofl2:

Steph,

Thank you for posting this mini tr. I love seeing a member of our military coming home safe. My hubby was active duty for 20 years and is now a contractor working with the military so I totally understand what you were feeling waiting at the gate. That excitement that you are going to see your loved one soon but the feeling that it is not real and you don't believe it till you see him with your own eyes. I am so happy that you all got to see Jordan, even if it is for a short time. Please tell him welcome home and thank you for your service from MinnieMom's family.

I need to go dry my eyes now. :usa:

Stef, thanks for sharing. Tell Jordan to not be afraid/ashamed to share his feeling. Tell him that those of us that were there before him are here for him.

Gary Flanigan

Life Member

VFW Post 5302

That was an AWESOME homecoming!

Thanks Dave. If I ever had a warm, fuzzy feeling, this was definitely it!

Thanks for sharing this Stef. The feeling you get from seeing your loved one walk through that gate is indescribable. I hope Jordan enjoys every minute he has while he is home and his time back in Afghanistan flies by!

I know you've been there. :heart: He's still amped up with excitement from getting here, hope to see he is mentally handling things once he calms down.

So happy he finally got there, safe and sound!

Thanks for sharing!

Keep thanking him for his service.

Thanks Genia, will do!

One of the best TR"s you've ever written. Please tell him how much we appreciate his service. Pass on a bunch of Fiend hugs too!

You can bet I'm getting in as many hugs as I possibly can. Being a Mom, it's tough to see these "babies" fighting a war.

He adores the appreciation and support!

So I have to admit, I couldn't watch the video. I would be bawling all day if I tried. The pictures and words already took care of the crying!

Chicken! :raspberry: It's worth 40 seconds of tears, IMO. When he grabs Nate, I melt every time!

Amazing report Stef! Some laughs, some tears, and a reminder of what is important, family. Hope you guys have a great time together while he is home.

Thanks Jeff. Family is hands down, #1 for me!!

As much as I party, goof off and talk trashy, I'm a softie when it comes to my boys.

How cool Stef! You're exactly the type of person that makes this site so awesome!

God bless you and your family, blood or otherwise!

So happy that you joined along MD, and thanks for your kind words. :hugs2:

Please tell him we said "Thank you." And DD says "Thank you for keeping the bad guys away"

:jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy

And, apparently, I do not wear waterproof mascara... :rofl2:

:laugh: I call false advertising, my mascara claimed to be waterproof, and I still left looking like a raccoon.

And here we go again, thinking of your adorable DD saying that..............

That excitement that you are going to see your loved one soon but the feeling that it is not real and you don't believe it till you see him with your own eyes.

You hit the nail on the head with that statement!! Someone could have streaked through that airport and I wouldn't have noticed, I just wanted to hold him and know he was safe.

Thank you to your husband also!

I think a bug or something flew into my eye(s).

I'm very proud of him and all those others that make it possible for us to act like goofballs.

Lou, I think the pollen count must be up....yeah, that's it...alllergies! ;D

Thank you and I will pass on the encouragement.

I guess you understand why I couldn't make it to Celebration. With the original plans (him arriving on Wednesday) I thought taking a trip over Friday or Saturday would have been fun. With all the darn schedule changes, that didn't happen. Would have loved to see you though.