From War To Peace - Mini TR. Updated 8/5

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For some of you long term fiends, you will know who Jordan is. For those who don't, I will give you a bit of back story. Jordan is my son's BF. They met a couple of years ago and hit it off immediatel

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story Stef. Tell Jordan thanks for his service to our country and the Fiends are proud. :usa:

You and the others have given him what he needed and before you know it, he'll be back. We're 100% behind him and all the other heroes.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

For some reason, I think i want an UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE.

No offense to Trev. BUT Nate's Ass is finer.

It's 22 years younger and more apple-like.

I won't tell Trev you said that though, he's very sensitive about the quality of his ass.

you know stef... I think you are bringing out my inner redneck. It has been awhile since I have been -

1. been that dirty

2. seen vehicles that large

3. watched men work on large vehicles

4. let my inner redneck woman loose.....

Well it's way past time then! Sometimes ya just gotta say WTFort and let it loose.

Love this TR Stef!

Thanks KFK. Just like with you and your boys, you can stick me anywhere (hayfield, mudhole) and still have a blast.

I like the Italian Sub Platter!

I also appreciate all the Mud Bog lessons. I am going to cut and paste them into a document so I will have them handy should I ever find myself in a mud bog.

TCD

The subs were delicious! Normally we grill something when we're there, but who wants to be cooking while everyone else is having fun? So we went with cold subs.

We have a great Italian deli near our house and whenever we order subs I always get the Italian. (At almost $10 each)

I bought 2 Italian loaves, a pound of ham, a pound of hard salami, pepperoni, and provolone cheese.

I made oil and vinegar dressing, topped them with lettuce, tomato and red onion. All for about $18. We all ate them that day, Trevor and I ate them for dinner that night and Nate took the last two pieces for lunch on Monday, so it made a lot!

I think mud bogging should be adding to TCD's LOF.

I like everything about mud bogging, except for the mud, trucks, Quads, fixing the trucks, and the noise.

Ok, so I only like the Italian Sub Platter, umm.

Lou, you old fuddy duddy. It's just a little dirt, it washes off. The noise is the best part! There's nothing sweeter than the sound of RPM's screaming!

Oh c'mon you old curmudgeon. Don't tell me you wouldn't enjoy the cookies, too.

We all know Lou can be bribed with food. Good call Dave.

For some reason, I think i want an UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATEUPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE.

Yes Dear, working on that now. :doodebug:

I never knew there were different mud types like virgin mud.

Yes, Aaron, there is virgin mud, sloppy mud, black mud, soupy mud and what we like to call dinosaur mud. Dinosaur mud is an area that's hardly been touched in years, if ever, and stinks to high heaven.

Ya learn something new everyday, even things you thought you'd never care to know. ^-^

I bought 2 Italian loaves, a pound of ham, a pound of hard salami, pepperoni, and provolone cheese.

I made oil and vinegar dressing, topped them with lettuce, tomato and red onion.

Mmm mmm, that sounds good. When are you going to be at the Fort again?

Lou, you old fuddy duddy.

Guilty

I didn't mean for this report to carry on so darn long, I guess I didn't realize how many pictures I took. Add my ramblings to the photos and it seems like we've been here for days.

Remember the lesson I gave you about not tearing your stuff up too early in the day?

99% of the time, a fellow slinger will give you a pull out, when you get stuck. If you're really stuck and they can't get you out without breaking their own equipment, the owner will bring the big tractor out to help.

We noticed the tractor coming and started scanning the hole to see who was in a bind. It was one of the swamp buggies (similar to the one that pulled us out earlier) By the time I got a picture, he was on hard packed ground. Well, 3/4 of his buggy was.

You can see in front of the tractor the other 1/4.

OceanPondAug2012063.jpg

As he drove by us, we could see this buggy was now short, one rearend.

OceanPondAug2012064.jpg

Mud Bog Lesson # 7: Most of the time you can,

A. Run to the parts store for what you may need to replace

B. Find the mobile welder who will fix you right up

or

C. Find duct tape, tie straps or any other form of redneck engineering that suits your purpose

Mud Bog Lesson # 8: Sometimes it's too far gone, you must tuck tail and load 'er up.

OceanPondAug2012078.jpg

The owner of the pond is working hard to add some events and amenities that will bring some of his crowd back.

They have ladies get in free days, deep mud races, free monster truck rides

OceanPondAug2012076.jpg

And Norman even installed a shower.

Mud Bog Lesson #9: When you can no longer see out any window in your vehicle (and neither can the guy slinging next to you) go wash off! We don't want any accidents!

We used to be given a big hose, but check this out!

OceanPondAug2012054.jpg

Here is a quick video as we drive though it.

Bless Nathen's heart. As we got ready to go through, he says:

"Mom, you might want to scoot in the center or you're gonna get wet"

Remember, I'm splattered with mud, my shoes are saturated and I'm sitting in a two inch deep mud pie, that has formed in his seat.

I didn't mind the water. In fact you will see me peek out and wash my arm and hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l26TJqq6ddU&feature=plcp

* Nate's truck is stripped to the max inside (no carpet, plastic seats, no door panels..) When it gets really bad inside, he just takes the hose to it.

As you can imagine, it gets really bad.

OceanPondAug2012082.jpg

With the truck rinsed off, it was time to rinse our bodies.

In the back hole where we rode 4 wheelers, Norman had set up a pump to get water out there, as it had dried up.

In this picture you can see the stream as it was making it's way to the mud.

OceanPondAug2012050.jpg

When we found the pump, I noticed the water was crystal clear. Detective Trevor followed the hose back into the brush to find it was sucking spring water.

Spring water looks like a 5 star spa when you're as dirty as we were. All day we made numerous trips back there to rinse off our shoes, arms and legs.

By the end of the afternoon, the pressure from this pump had created quite a hole. Nathen got brave and waded in....and then Trev picked up the hose to "shower" him.

No worries, there are paramedics right around the corner. 8)

OceanPondAug2012080.jpg

OceanPondAug2012081.jpg

The owner used to participate in Mud Drags. Drag racing in the mud. This is his newest build and it is GNARLY!!

1100 HP engine that "sh*ts it and gets it!"

* to put that into perspective for you non-motor people, my Jeep engine is 210 HP

OceanPondAug2012077.jpg

We left on Saturday, but on Sunday, he took Allison for a ride in it! :banghead:

Tow Nater was in service as usual, only this time he was using his 4 wheeler.

OceanPondAug2012084.jpg

Mud Bog Lesson # 10: Do not get lost in the moment and take your tiny little street truck into the pond. It won't make it and chances are great that you will break it.

It's a long way home on the shoe leather express.

The last few shots from the day.

Jordan clean

OceanPondAug2012079.jpg

Jordan dirty

OceanPondAug2012086.jpg

My lap on the way home

OceanPondAug2012088.jpg

On the way home, smack dab in the middle of Goethe forest, we hear "thump, psss, thump, psss, thump, psss"

Crap! we blew a tire, in the middle of the forest, while towing a lot of weight. We're covered in mud and I'm now barefoot, as I was letting my tootsies dry.

We both jump out of the truck to see which of the 8 inflated tires had blown. It was the trucks, driver front, but it didn't blow, we must have hit a nail or something.

Trev sticks his finger over the hole to stop it before we lose any more air.

Me: Got a plug?

Trev: Yeah

Me: Well....where is it???

Trev: Um, in my, um, get in the back...never mind, just put your finger over this.

Quick switch....psssssss....Got it!

Two cars passed us. They didn't stop. Can't blame them, we looked like low budget, swamp movie extras.

Our plan is to plug it, air it up and wait til we get home to change it.

Wouldn't you know it....the travelling air compressor doesn't have enough oomph to air up this tire.

About this time, a truck passes us going in the opposite direction, turns around and comes back.

Who is it? Two young redneck gentlemen. They asked if they could help, Trevor explained that we were just going to limp it into Dunnellon and air it up.

Thanks redneck gentlemen!

30 mph through the forest about 15 miles, to the first gas station where we spend approximately $6 in a crappy gas station air/vac machine.

But we make it home safe & sound.

One last thing:

The kids were all staying the night to go back on Sunday. Lodging is few in these parts, but they always used to stay in the Cadillac Motel right on US 19. Years ago it was American owned, very clean and reasonably priced.

It is no longer American owned.

The kids checked in and paid for two rooms. Nate said they were filthy & disgusting, but they would deal for the few hours they would be in it.

Then someone hit a power pole in town and everyone lost electricity. The boys went and talked with the lineman who said it was going to be a while before it was restored.

Translation: No showers and no dinner, as everything around there was out of power.

They explained to the owner they couldn't stay, they wanted a refund so they could go to Cross City and get a room.

The owner said "Not my problem"

The kids may or may not have given them a piece of their mind and left. They paid for another room in Cross City called The Carriage Inn, which they all agreed was spotless with great owners.

If your ever travelling down US 19, DO NOT stop at the Cadillac Motel. After writing a scathing review, I read three others complaining of bed bugs. ICK!

Probably devine intervention, that the power was lost.

They all made it home on Sunday evening. Nate's stuff was all in one piece. Ryan needs to drain the water out of the Jeep motor (Yes, he sunk it) and fix a few tiny issues with the Amigo (battery being one of them)

This day was all about Jordan! Seeing him let his guard down, smiling and hearing him laughing in my videos, is priceless.

If I had one final lesson, it would be:

Do something out of the ordinary, let your hair down, get dirty and enjoy your family no matter how your interests differ.

Hearing Jordan's war stories have proven to me just how important that stuff is!

Thanks for following along. Til next time.

Very cool! Looks like you guys showed Jordan one heck of a good time. I am happy to report that I no longer feel like a mud bogging noob. I'm still not convinced that mud bogging is for me, but it looks like you guys had a great time and that's what counts. How often do you do this? Is it one of those sports that you spend more time getting ready for (truck mods, repairs, etc...) than you spend actually doing it?

And thanks for all that you and your family do for Jordan.

TCD

Believe me, it is our pleasure.

Thanks for the skin pics. Hubba hubba!!!!!

I took those JUST for you. ;D

Jeez Stef. Here I was just reading along about mud, bedbugs, blown tires and so on, and then you sucker punch me with the family stuff and priorities and all. Had I seen it coming I could have avoided getting all mushy, but you really pulled a fast one on me.

Sorry Dave. That's exactly how we've felt for the last week and 1/2. No matter how much fun we have, there's always that feeling in the back of your mind that knows he's going back. It's easy to get sucker punched by it.

If he's still there give Jordan a bug friend hug! Great TR!

I've given him more hugs than he can possibly stand. I read this report to him last night and he was touched by all the support.

Great report Stef. What you said at the end couldn't be more true!

Thanks AC. It's sad that it takes a bad/scary thing to remind us of this, but it's so true. Our family has had a very rough week, in various ways, but war stories will sure help compartmentalize things which are important, or those that are not so much.

Great report. Love how you put all into perspective!

Thanks for reading Gwen and all your support for Jordan.

I like your friend's dual tandem gooseneck...nice.

BTW, that is a manual hub lock fail, for sure.

I like Nate's backpedaling throttle technique....that does help em bite a little better.

I wondered where you had been! I knew you would "get it" and understand a lot, without further explanation.

Nate is a driving mud fool. He's been hard at it since he was 13, and yes, a gooseneck is on his wish list too.

How often do you do this? Is it one of those sports that you spend more time getting ready for (truck mods, repairs, etc...) than you spend actually doing it?

Both of these things depend on what gets torn up on the previous event. With the two holes close to us: Ocean Pond & Horse Hole Creek, they have one almost every month, sometimes two, on staggered weekends.

If we don't tear things up too bad, it doesn't take long at all to get ready. About a year ago, they were having a heck of a time getting Nate's drive shaft angle right, and would break it constantly. That cut into bogging time quite a bit. He ended up going to a custom driveline shop in Orlando, to get it taken care of once and for all. Of course that was $$$$.

Barring any major issues: 1 full day of prep for two whole days of fun.

Hey! I just now figured out that this TR has kept going! Duh. I really should get out more.

I loved the commentary and pics! You made me feel like I was home. :heart: If only you guys had taken off hunting after that, the homesickness would be complete.

That portajohn was NASSSTEEE! I would prefer the tree as well. Where I grew up, it would not be unusual to hear someone shout into the woods "Hurry up Stef - shake the dew off yer lily and let's go!" :rofl2:

I also enjoyed Big Time getting stuck. That's always really funny - especially when they're cocky. It's only a little funny when they're just stupid.

About a year ago, they were having a heck of a time getting Nate's drive shaft angle right, and would break it constantly. That cut into bogging time quite a bit. He ended up going to a custom driveline shop in Orlando, to get it taken care of once and for all. Of course that was $$$$.

Barring any major issues: 1 full day of prep for two whole days of fun.

That seems a little personal. Does Nate know you are telling all his secrets?

:clint:

Sounds kinda like camping!

Exactly like it, only much more cleaning when you get back.

True story: On Monday, my washer quit working. Full of clothes, full of water! Nate came home from work, asked if I had washed the "mud loads"

I had...and the drain was clogged. ::)

"Hurry up Stef - shake the dew off yer lily and let's go!" :rofl2:.

Oh you can bet we will use that!!! :lmao1:

That seems a little personal. Does Nate know you are telling all his secrets?

:clint:

Yes, he does. He will happily tell you he has a good heavy duty shaft now. :tounge-smiley: