The Amish and the not so Amish 12th Anniversary TR

Very cool!!!!! I get to go to Amish country next August as there is going to be a big National T@B rally near Sugarcreek, OH where T@Bs are currently being built. I'm really looking forward to it!!!

It was more fun than I ever thought it would be. We will be laughing about the Ironhorse from here to eternity.

To get into Amish character: WHOA!

I go off for a couple hours and you are on a trip report writing frenzy.

That house is beautiful! Looks like up around my Dad's home (Upstate NY)

We see a lot of Amish up there too and I am fascinated by them.

I always find myself staring. Not in a "Wow, you're freaking me out" way, but a "You guys are cool and make nice furniture" way.

Then they get all uncomfortable because I'm staring and it's just awkward.

I can't believe you took your wife to a biker bar! :rofl2: To EAT, no less. I see that 'Husband Of The Year' award, slipping through your fingers.

You did redeem yourself a slight bit with the sharing of the cinnamon roll. That looks like ooey gooey goodness.

All these reports going on are great! Just today I have sailed on a Dis cruise, been in a tent at the fort, and now hobnobbing through Amish country. Awesome!!

The Ironhorse was not my finest hour....but it will provide comic relief for years to come! The cinnamon roll was out of this world good.

I can't wait to hear about the General Store. Joyce and I will be in that area in two weeks to visit my family and Joyce wants to go to Lehman's. Perhaps we can add the General Store to that day's exploring.

Stay Tuned!

Stef, you're on your "A" game with this post.

Ok Aaron, anniversary, no kids, long weekend getaway, Amish country, did I mention no kids.

Which one of these things doesn't fit.

Um..not to be indelicate, Lou, but just what do you think the Amish do in the evenings after the sun goes down, with no electric lights, no TV, no internet or FF.net? Sounds very anniversary like to me! :heartsmiley:

Good logic right there Marty.

:rofl2: Go Marty! I like your logic!

:rofl2:

It was anniversary like. That is all.

Aaron....ok, where to begin.

The biker bar dinner make me laugh out loud. That's too funny, and I don't blame you for not taking a pic of the pork pieces.

The cinnamon roll.....looks to die for! Z snap and all. I would love that thing.

The farmhouse reminds me a lot of the place I grew up in. Like Stef's dad's place, I grew up in NY. Looks pretty cool. And there were a lot of Amish folks around there too. They were always coming to my Dad's farm to pick strawberries and tomatoes.

Finally...an Amish business named "Yoder". Say it ain't so. What a shock. :rofl3:

The pood forn is only beginning Dave. DW even was asking and reminding me, "Are you gonna take pics for Dave?"

This is hilarious and it just started. I'm in!

Glad you are along for the ride Jeff. DW and I would start laughing again about things like the wonderful Ironhorse because we knew how it would sound when the Fiends read about our adventure.

Next update likely in the morning.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

what a fun trip! Ironhorse looks amazing :) My parents went to Cleveland a few years ago to see the Christmas Story house and they didn't take me, bastards meanies. they got to meet Randy. For an extr

Stef, you're on your "A" game with this post. Ok Aaron, anniversary, no kids, long weekend getaway, Amish country, did I mention no kids. Which one of these things doesn't fit.

Um..not to be indelicate, Lou, but just what do you think the Amish do in the evenings after the sun goes down, with no electric lights, no TV, no internet or FF.net? Sounds very anniversary like to

7-28-12 (continued)

Onward to the Cradle of Civilization....

9f5d3a11.jpg

I was expecting to cross the Tigris or Euphrates at some point but we never did.

Looked for the toppled statue of Saddam but never found it.

We did find the oldest general store in the State of Ohio, having been established in 1840.

This was next to the vehicle parking that was directly across the street from the buggy parking:

44b89e69.jpg

b6c57847.jpg

The store and gas station from across the street:

54d423b8.jpg

46e10966.jpg

d4c65794.jpg

A couple of the wares inside the store:

4064003f.jpg

f8f5efa9.jpg

Ohana-less Chili Mix? Who would have known? Dave?

We bought some candy, a couple cookie cutters (including a Fiend-mingo), and an old fashioned root beer.

I was gonna get this:

14ffc77e.jpg

But settled on this:

006795dc.jpg

My DW took a few pics of the Ice house next to the store and a cool old town area behind the store:

8cba0ff9.jpg

000fb2dc.jpg

fac255bc.jpg

We went back across the street and I took photos of the town's Civil War Memorial:

212ec72e.jpg

6f301ec7.jpg

Across the intersecting street there was also a World War I and II Memorial:

9bc318c0.jpg

There are apparently 28 buildings around the "commons area" in Mesopotamia and 21 of them were built before the Civil War and are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

We headed back for the farmhouse for a bit and then we decided to take our side trip this afternoon.

This side trip would take us away from Amish Country, away from the cradle of civilization, to a place of pure joy!

A place of udder Awesomeness. Sorry, I saw too many cows recently.

This place is like Graceland to so many people only wayyyyyyyyy better!

Next: the update of all side trip updates!

So, Yoder is a common name for an Amish restaurant?

I was going to mention that there is a Yoder's Restaurant in Sarasota, Florida, which is a bit of a landmark.

I guess it's not related to the Ohio one?

(I don't know much about the Amish)

TCD

Yoder is the Amish equivalent of Smith.

From http://amishamerica....on-amish-names/

Miller is the most common Amish name, seen most prevalently in the Midwest, in communities such as Holmes County, Ohio and northern Indiana. Other common names in the Midwest include:

• Hershberger
  • Yoder
  • Hochstetler
  • Troyer
  • Schrock

Yoda, Amish equivalent of Smith it is.

Ok Aaron, I have forgiven you for taking your lovely wife to a dive bar.

That little town is great. I dig that stuff!

Think of all the things that have happened there over the years. Very cool!!

I was going to mention that there is a Yoder's Restaurant in Sarasota, Florida, which is a bit of a landmark.

TCD

I saw a documentary(sensationalized in IMHO) about the Amish and apparently there is a small community somewhere in Florida. (Devil's Playground)

I saw a documentary(sensationalized in IMHO) about the Amish and apparently there is a small community somewhere in Florida. (Devil's Playground)

I think that there is a large community of Amish in the Sarasota/Bradenton area. There is that Yoder's restaurant, and a few more concentrated in that area.

That's a bit south of where I live, so I don't know much about it.

TCD

The pood forn is only beginning Dave. DW even was asking and reminding me, "Are you gonna take pics for Dave?"

I like your wife. She's the brains in the relationship, right?

Loved the latest update. the town looks great! And I appreciate your historical references to Mesopotamia. Good stuff!

I am a bit perplexed by the Fartless Chili. What is the point, exactly?

Am I the only one who gets this? He was taking a trip to celebrate his anniversary. The entertainment i refered to in my previous post had nothing to do with Ohana. (Remind me to send INC a sympathy card.)

Am I the only one who gets this? He was taking a trip to celebrate his anniversary. The entertainment i refered to in my previous post had nothing to do with Ohana. (Remind me to send INC a sympathy card.)

I got that part, Marty! I may be getting up in age, but it's not like I'm "Lou old". I was just referring to the pic of the fartless chili mix. I don't understand the point of fartless chili.

TCD

Yoder is the Amish equivalent of Smith.

From http://amishamerica....on-amish-names/

Miller is the most common Amish name, seen most prevalently in the Midwest, in communities such as Holmes County, Ohio and northern Indiana. Other common names in the Midwest include:

• Hershberger
  • Yoder
  • Hochstetler
  • Troyer
  • Schrock

Yoda, Amish equivalent of Smith it is.

I am learning a ton from you guys, including that Yoda was apparently the first and only Amish Jedi Master.

Ok Aaron, I have forgiven you for taking your lovely wife to a dive bar.

That little town is great. I dig that stuff!

Think of all the things that have happened there over the years. Very cool!!

My wife forgave me too, probably because I had her cracking up about the whole situation the entire time we were at the Ironhorse and for the remainder of the weekend.

Very good, Lou.

TCD

Good you are Lou.

What a cute little town!! How, as a card carrying Fiend could you not buy a product called Cock n Bull!? It should be the official drink of Snarky!!

Funny you mention that. I thought the same thing but wanted to get a six pack and ship it to Jen for the next raffle, but alas they only had singles and I decided against. I know. I wish I would have bought one, wrapped it good, and mailed it off anyway.

I think that there is a large community of Amish in the Sarasota/Bradenton area. There is that Yoder's restaurant, and a few more concentrated in that area.

That's a bit south of where I live, so I don't know much about it.

TCD

well is it time for TCD TR - Going Back In Time (life with the Amish)

Sounds good to me.

I ate at that Yoder's once.

That was some good food.

TCD

I believe Yuri may have infiltrated the Florida Amish Community because he seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.

I like your wife. She's the brains in the relationship, right?

Loved the latest update. the town looks great! And I appreciate your historical references to Mesopotamia. Good stuff!

My wife's brains are not to be doubted or messed with, that is for sure.

I was hoping you would be able to answer the great conundrum regarding fartless chili.

No Ohanas during the entertainment. Good call.

Very interesting! I've never been anywhere near Amish country, but have always wanted to visit.

Thanks. It was fun. If you can ever go for the weekend it would be worth it.

Great trip report!

Thanks Annie!

I got that part, Marty! I may be getting up in age, but it's not like I'm "Lou old". I was just referring to the pic of the fartless chili mix. I don't understand the point of fartless chili.

Marty's been working on her new 35 passenger van and is a little tired.