The Amish and the not so Amish 12th Anniversary TR

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

what a fun trip! Ironhorse looks amazing :) My parents went to Cleveland a few years ago to see the Christmas Story house and they didn't take me, bastards meanies. they got to meet Randy. For an extr

Stef, you're on your "A" game with this post. Ok Aaron, anniversary, no kids, long weekend getaway, Amish country, did I mention no kids. Which one of these things doesn't fit.

Um..not to be indelicate, Lou, but just what do you think the Amish do in the evenings after the sun goes down, with no electric lights, no TV, no internet or FF.net? Sounds very anniversary like to

Food looks delicious, especially the pretzels. Add a beer to that, and it would be like heaven on earth.

The firefighter memorial is awesome. The phallic flames are sort of strange, but bravo for giving credit where credit is due.

Great report, looking forward to what you did on your actual anniversary.

Wow.

I do not remember that show at all.

But that is a sweet mullet!

TCD

It is an awesome mullet. That probably took a long time and energy to get just right.

Love the update. You're right, the Warehouse District is very reminiscent of downtown Ann Arbor!

Golic? Never heard of him. But I never watched Saved By the Bell so I have an excuse. :rofl2:

Love the food pictures too! That is some burger!

You never saw Zack Morris and the gang?

1. That fireman memorial is awesome

2. I'm now very hungry

3. the college years? weren't the high school years bad enough?

Um....saved by the bell was awesome.....Jesse, Kelly, and Lisa were hot when i was like 15.

You can never really get enough of Screech either......oh wait.....yeah you could.

Food looks delicious, especially the pretzels. Add a beer to that, and it would be like heaven on earth.

The firefighter memorial is awesome. The phallic flames are sort of strange, but bravo for giving credit where credit is due.

Great report, looking forward to what you did on your actual anniversary.

Thanks Stef. I believe I had the Sam Adams summer seasonal beer with that meal. It was decent but not my favorite. Very good with the pretzels and burger though.

Aaron, this is a stitch of a TR!

A few things...

#1- your DW has great taste. She and I have the same 31bag/pattern. (I'm sure ths matters to you)

#2- I am craving cream cheese cinnamon rolls.

#3- living in the home town of the Daisy Rifle Factory, I was glued to each of Ralphie's home photos.

#4-I know exactly where my DH and I will spend our 23yr anniversary!

Keep it coming....

Great trip report Aaron. I am from Cleveland and I remember some of this stuff. I am pretty sure I spent time in that steel mill bar as a very young girl. Dad worked at the mills and played on the company softball team. After the games the guys would go for beers and give all of us little kids a bunch of quarters for pinball. (not sure what it says about me that my earliest memories are of a bar.) and shopping at "twigbees" for christmas! and sitting (Freezing my ass off) in the dogpound of the old stadium watching Bob Golic and the "kardiac kids" play the steelers. ahh, memories....Ok. back to 2012. ;D

Caught back up Dream. AWESOME!!!!!!

Thanks G!

I watched some of Saved by the Bell and very little of The College Years, but I did recognize the actor. Shhh... don't tell anyone.

I won't tell anyone.

sorry I couldn't help myself :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

What? You know you loved that show. You closet Saved By The Bell fan you!

I too was older than dirt during the Saved by the Bell years. Loved the memorials and would love to try those pretzel things in the cinnamon stuff! You can't go wrong with a good hamburger and fries!

First, I doubt you were older than dirt.

Second, the memorials were cool and you should try the pretzels with the cinnamon butter if you have a Bar Louie near you.....it is a chain.

Aaron, this is a stitch of a TR!

A few things...

#1- your DW has great taste. She and I have the same 31bag/pattern. (I'm sure ths matters to you)

#2- I am craving cream cheese cinnamon rolls.

#3- living in the home town of the Daisy Rifle Factory, I was glued to each of Ralphie's home photos.

#4-I know exactly where my DH and I will spend our 23yr anniversary!

Keep it coming....

Our sister in law sells 31 so my DW has all her friends at work order things for "book" shows and then she gets all her stuff free. :whew:

If you want the link for the place we stayed, PM me and I will send it right out!

Just catching up. Very, very cool visit to the Christmas Story museum.

Thanks DVCC! I am glad you enjoyed it.

Great trip report Aaron. I am from Cleveland and I remember some of this stuff. I am pretty sure I spent time in that steel mill bar as a very young girl. Dad worked at the mills and played on the company softball team. After the games the guys would go for beers and give all of us little kids a bunch of quarters for pinball. (not sure what it says about me that my earliest memories are of a bar.) and shopping at "twigbees" for christmas! and sitting (Freezing my ass off) in the dogpound of the old stadium watching Bob Golic and the "kardiac kids" play the steelers. ahh, memories....Ok. back to 2012. ;D

Thanks Minnie. Those are some very cool memories. I kept thinking of the movie "Rudy" while they were talking about the mills and the guys going for beers at the corner bar after work.

it says, you're probably about the same age as me. :rofl2:

You were not older than dirt either..........and you remembering going to a bar as one of your earliest memories doesn't make you old........it probably more explains why you are now a Fiend!

7-29-12

Okay today is our anniversary. Where could we possibly go to eat breakfast on our anniversary? All the Amish places are closed on Sundays.

Hmm....where could we go where they are likely open because they aren't concerned with Sunday at all?

28bc90f8.jpg

No, we did not go to the Ironhorse even though you probably wanted us too!

I found a cool place in the neighboring town of Welshfield. The place was strangely called the Welshfield Inn:

6950efd2.jpg

395a7d35.jpg

d2e631fe.jpg

0ea336e8.jpg

Those pics are not very good so here is a link to the Welshfield Inn story:

http://www.welshfielddining.com/about.html

The underground railroad connection was interesting I thought.

DW had the BLT & E sandwich:

a1562d63.jpg

I had Eggs, Sausage, home fries, and rye toast:

a6516b63.jpg

The food was very good and we enjoyed our brunch there together.

After brunch we went back to the farmhouse where we decided to.......

7ca7c122.jpg

fd4151ff.jpg

1e89bb4c.jpg

d83eb42d.jpg

4177b39b.jpg

You didn't think fishing was going to be next did you? Well maybe it really wasn't, but according to this TR it was. :clint:

We saw a few fish jump and a couple turtles in the water but did not catch anything. We had fun together anyway. I think the water may have been too stirred up/muddy because we had a pretty good storm overnight. Oh well.

After fishing we hung out on the sun porch for awhile and watched some buggies go by:

edfa63cb.jpg

183e0d73.jpg

d26472d9.jpg

See the community phone at the end of the driveway again?

0ce532a9.jpg

The cars flew by the buggies on this road......and we are at the top of a hill.

As dinner approached we tried to figure out where we could go in Amish Country on a Sunday when nothing was open?

No, we did not go to the Ironhorse this time either.....as hard as that is to believe.

We did however go tothe likely only other place that was open:

650bcfd7.jpg

856c91a4.jpg

a8513575.jpg

That's right back to the Welshfiend Inn! We were glad we did too.

356edc40.jpg

DW had a glass of Pinot Grigio and I had Guinness.

I forgot to show you at breakfast, but before every meal they bring you these:

4ed604c7.jpg

They were quite tasty.

Next: The main course......had to cut if off here because I am having PB issues again! :banghead:

Okay....on to the main course.

DW ordered a BBQ beef briscuit sandwich with fried egg:

171cb882.jpg

9ba04378.jpg

She stated she loved it and it looked really good.

I was in the mood for a few different things.

I ordered French Onion Soup:

a069d7e7.jpg

It was the best French Onion Soup I have ever had.

Then I had Lobster Macaroni & Cheese which consisted of smoked gouda lobster cream sauce, maine lobster, fontinella crumb crust:

9a3c2b26.jpg

I had never had this before but it was very good.

The main dining room fireplace was next to our table:

7aca386e.jpg

I figured if it was good enough for George it was good enough for us.

After dinner we spent more time at the Farmhouse.

7-30-12

Today was the day we head back home. So we packed up the four door sleigh and headed back into Middlefield to eat breakfast again at Mary Yoder's Amish Kitchen.

Oh yeah, right before we pulled out of the farmhouse driveway, DW stated we had a visitor that came through the woods from the pasture and was eating along our fence.....

b335283b.jpg

Now at the Amish Kitchen DW ordered Eggs and Sausage:

b6322823.jpg

I also ordered Eggs and Sausage but I dare to be different so I got patties.

cb9f3492.jpg

e9940a69.jpg

Just when we were getting use to being on vacation real life said:

8681d647.jpg

And so we headed for home after a great trip, fun times, funny times, and downright scary times together.

I hope you all enjoyed our travels through Amish and Not So Amish Ohio!

AC

Lol. yeah, not so old. I was born in 1970 so I was a teen during the saved by the bell years. Zach sure was cute. still is. ;)

I was more of a Kelly Kapowski and Jesse Spanno fan. Who new Jesse would move on to "Showgirls"?

That's funny stuff at Ralphie's house.

I'm sure I'll make use of this shot at a later date.

Don't know when or why, but you'll give me reason to drag it out. and use it against you.

Thanks.....and I am sure I will give you a reason and you will be forced to use it!

why do i find myself hungry again....

You and me both!