Dometic has a portable ice maker out. The local RV store has it on sale. How common are ice makers when camping? Is this even something worthwhile? Been getting some new toys before my first trip and tossed a few ice trays in my cart. At the register the lady acted like I couldn't live without this thing. She also sold me a filter that goes after the pressure regulator that she also sold me along with the two white hoses. Starting to think I should have been kissed.....

We have one. Ours is an Emerson that we purchased at Target for about $120. We love it and wouldn't camp without it. If you drink alot of drinks needing ice (iced tea), it is a lifesaver.

Same here DW loves ice in her drinks. I could not bring myself to buy the one at campingworld so I bought the same on at Target, Works great and I always use store bought water.

DH ran out and got one almost the minute we settled into the Fort a couple of years ago - it was on sale at Camping World and he HAD to have it!

In our case our the TT freezer is usually full of meat for the dogs, and trying to keep Disney ice in a cooler for any length of time is pretty futile, so it actually comes in handy.

The only catch is that to really stockpile any ice, you have to scoop it out and pop it in the freezer, and if you put it on the speediest setting the ice melts pretty quickly.

Do you NEED it? Probably not. Is if a fun and fairly useful gadget? We think so. :)

We usually set ours up outside next to the outdoor kitchen setup on a small table so it doesn't hog up counter space inside.

I also love them. I thought it was a waste of $$ but then I took one in June and can't imagine camping without one. It's so convenient to have ice when you need it and not having to deal with trays and all. I also got mine from Target. I think it was about $75 and makes ice in about 15 minutes.

My parents are on their second one (yeah they use it alot). Their's is simillar to this.

We have the same Magic Chef as your parents do... it is also our 2nd one and we've used this one for 4 summers now. I have 2 Coleman Xtreme coolers (one for beer and one for water/drinks for the kids) and this ice maker can keep both coolers supplied with some left over for friends who may need it.

In the summer, we camp anywhere from 4-6 weeks straight and the ice maker runs 24/7. With the price of a bag of ice anywhere from $2.50 - $3.25 (in our area), this ice maker has paid for itself many times over!!

If you do decide to get one, you won't be disappointed.

We have the same Magic Chef as your parents do... it is also our 2nd one and we've used this one for 4 summers now. I have 2 Coleman Xtreme coolers (one for beer and one for water/drinks for the kids) and this ice maker can keep both coolers supplied with some left over for friends who may need it.

In the summer, we camp anywhere from 4-6 weeks straight and the ice maker runs 24/7. With the price of a bag of ice anywhere from $2.50 - $3.25 (in our area), this ice maker has paid for itself many times over!!

If you do decide to get one, you won't be disappointed.

You got me thinking now. Going to check out amazon for sales.

Thanks.

We got the Dometic from Camping World when we were at the Fort. Lorna had us convinced to take it back because her Walmart unit was cheaper. But after she saw our unit, she said it was a lot bigger and Matt said the ice was harder. Either way you'll like it. :wine:

My parents put the ice from the portable ice maker into the freezer to keep it frozen and allow it to make more.

Agree, you have to keep the ice somewhere. They are ice makers NOT freezers, the ice melts. It is, of course, made into ice again. The only people that might not like them are Stef & Lil Lisa. Not sure the machine can keep up!!! :wine: :doublebeer: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Agree, you have to keep the ice somewhere. They are ice makers NOT freezers, the ice melts. It is, of course, made into ice again. The only people that might not like them are Stef & Lil Lisa. Not sure the machine can keep up!!! :wine: :doublebeer: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Yo Gary, how about a 2-3#s of ice per Lush a Rita for confused?

Actually that's true. We have one, they don't make a lot of ice at once, and IMO just not worth the hassle of packing. It has a semi-permanent home in the shed

• 5 weeks later...