Pre and Trip Report: First time tent campers 8/17 - 8/19

This whole experiment started in June when my DD(9) told us she is the only kid in her class that has never been camping. The conversation went like this:

Me: “Of course you’ve been camping, remember when you had a sleepover on the air mattresses out in the screen room? Oh! And we stayed in the cabins at Fort Wilderness a few times. Rented a golf cart, ate marshmallows…”

DD: “That is NOT camping! You have to rough it (you’ll see that “roughing it” is a little different in our family)…in a tent. And ride bikes. And cook on the grill.”

Me: “Oh, well, your father’s not going to like that."

Well she is an only child and daddy’s little girl, so he’ll endure whatever for her. Neither of us have ever been camping either, so I talked to some friends and read all the message boards I could, to see what it was all about. Hmmm…sounds like fun…AND we can do it at Disney! We live about 45 minutes away so if things get really bad, we could go home.

Of course we have no equipment so we had to start there. I thought of renting stuff, but I was really thinking that we might like this. We go quite often over to Disney for weekend trips and usually stay at a value resort…this camping thing could save me money (haha!). So I did some research and decided on this (the tent on the right, more about the tent on the left later):

2d0e9972.jpg

It’s a Coleman Instant tent (for a VERY close group of 6). I seriously had my doubts about DH liking the whole camping experience so I wanted to get something that I could put up by myself. I’ve heard horror stories of it taking HOURS to put up a regular tent…and it scared me! This tent is awesome, I could go and on about it but won’t unless anyone has any questions.

I also got one of those easy up canopies and some large Rubbermaid containers for our stuff. Oh and a Coleman Extreme cooler, highly recommended…man stuff stays frozen in there…I was shocked. Plus I bought all the other miscellaneous stuff you need over the months of June and July.

DD and her friends took the tent out to the backyard for test run a couple of times. I sprayed it with a hose. I tried to scare them by making bear noises. They still thought it was great. DD was ready to camp. Reservations were made and we were READY!

Or so we thought. One night the girls were sleeping in the tent and our dog decided he missed DD. He jumped on the tent and clawed his way through the mesh window in the door and jumped in with them. So now I have to figure out how to fix this mess. You can see in the photo that the screen on the door is a different color than the other other screen...that's my repair. A nice old lady at our local fabric store sold me some mesh and told me what to do. It took me 2 weeks and much cursing...I'm NOT crafty.

Somehow along the way a friend asked is she could share our site with her 2 kids (9 and 5). She said she has been camping many times and it'll be great! Errr...ok...I guess that would be alright. The sites are certainly big enough for 2 tents, right? And the kids get along great...right? Well...we'll see I guess.

August rolled around and we now have everything we need, plus it's DH’s birthday…time to go camping! But wait…it’s mid-August…and Florida. I’ve read the all the boards, it would be completely insane to go camping now.

But we are 3 Floridians…we like HOT…we're used to the heat...and we have a fan…and there’s a pool to cool down in…no sweat, right? <--- Pun intended!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loving the TR!! And I must say you are a better person than I am for letting the "buddies" tag along. Hell, there are times I don't even want my husband along on my camping trips let alone some rookie

LOL, I feel you on the DH comment, doesnt mean I don't love him, I'm just a little "settled" in my ways when in comes to camping and he dare not question it :) I couldnt camp with a vegetarian, I cons

Arrival and Day 1 DD and I cut school and work on Friday so we could get an early start. DH was going to come after work with everyone’s bikes. The plan was for DD and I to set up our site, and be c

Great start! :welcome2: I've camped at the fort in a tent with only a fan in August. It wasn't nearly as awful as people say it is. Can't wait to hear what you thought...

Arrival and Day 1

DD and I cut school and work on Friday so we could get an early start. DH was going to come after work with everyone’s bikes. The plan was for DD and I to set up our site, and be chilling by the pool with a cold one waiting for DH when he got there around 4:00. Ahhh…what is the saying…”the best laid plans…”…ya unfortunately that was us.

We were packed up and left the house at 10:30, we stopped by our camping buddies house since they had never been there and wanted to follow us.

Now DD and I are totally new to camping but we had practiced, plus the family that came with us has been camping tons of times (so we were lead to believe), so we felt pretty good. We checked in with no line by 11:30. I did the online check in and requested something close to a comfort station, thinking it would be good with the 3 kids. It only took a couple of minutes and we were off to site 64 in the 2000 loop. It was located directly across the street from the comfort station. I started to have second thoughts about that location…but really it was perfect. There wasn’t too much noise or too much foot traffic.

The comfort station itself was impressive. Very clean. DD loved the acoustics (sorry for any of you who had to endure her shower singing!). The ice machine was out of order so I called the front desk and demanded an upgrade to the Grand Floridian…that wasn’t happening so instead I made it up to myself and parked 2 cars instead of the allowed 1 at our site. I felt better.

We all started unloading and setting up. Things were going as planned! DD set up our tent, fixed it all up inside, set up the easy up canopy…then started making a small list of all the things we forgot. We do this no matter what. Luckily DH always comes later so we can text our list to him and he can bring all the stuff we forgot. Let’s see…forgot pillows, forgot DD’s stuffed animal, forgot the 2nd fan, forgot DD’s Disney gift card, and most importantly forgot the container of margaritas that I made up before we left!

So we have all of our stuff set and I turn around and our camping buddies have what appears to be a large sheet of yellow tarp splayed all over and various flimsy sticks they are trying to feed through guides…”trying” is the key word. They tell me that this is their tent. DD look at each other and laugh. Turns out that they REALLY have only been camping once with this tent and she didn’t even put it up herself, someone else did. So much for my grand plan. There were no instructions and it was it was around 2:30 when we realized she was missing parts of that tent. Then she pulled out the air mattress she brought for her kids and there was a gaping hole in it. I guess she didn't think to try this stuff out before we left...sigh. So she borrowed my duct tape (she forgot that too) and tried to patch it...and using my extension cord (oops, forgot that too) it semi-inflated.

Now don't get me wrong, I know I forgot a bunch of stuff too...but I have DH to fall back on...I can count on him...every time! Right?

I was pretty annoyed and sat down to take a break and to text DH the “forgotten list” when his truck pulls up in front of our camp site. What?! He NEVER gets there early! My margaritas! The horror! After being revived, I realized it was good he was there because he is really good at jury rigging and he would be able to get her dumb tent up…while I went to the liquor store. Two crises averted.

The kids learned the lay of the land on their bikes while the adults did the important stuff (tent building and liquor buying). All the kids really loved being able to ride everywhere…apparently they found one of the stores as was apparent by the Mickey bar ring around the 5yo’s mouth.

We were ready to hit the pool. We didn’t plan on going to any of the parks this weekend, just wanted to hang out at the campground. The kids showed us a nifty little shortcut between the 2000 loop and the 900 loop that came out pretty close to the main pool. We were able to walk or ride to the pool in just a few minutes. Wow is that a crowded pool! It was even sort of a rainy day and still the pool was packed. I’ve heard that the locals like to crash this pool and apparently it’s true…but I don’t get why…it’s a hassle to get to the pool, they’d have to take a bus and all that.

Tonight is the night we planned to cook at the campsite so when I heard thunder rumbling in the distance I decided I better go ahead and get the grill going before the deluge. The grill was pretty clean but I had brought some disposable grill liners so our meat wouldn’t touch our camping buddies’ veggies since the mom is a vegetarian. Thoughtful, huh? Anyway the grill was just right for what we needed and the food was good. I set up the easy up canopy over the picnic table and we sat there and ate while it poured rain…hoping the new tent wouldn’t flood like some of the reviews said it would.

The rain stopped and I checked the tent. Dry as a bone…whoopee!

Things were good. We went to the campfire and movie, watched a little of “Finding Nemo” and the kids were on a smores sugar high. Went back to the campsite and played some dominos before going to bed.

Now you have to remember, this is the first time DH or me have ever slept in a tent. We had a queen air mattress for us and a twin for DD. We used sheets and blankets from home and the pillows I bought at Wal-mart when I made my liquor run. I was afraid that it would rain and I wanted to leave the tent windows open for air so we moved the canopy over the tent and it fit just right. There was a light rain that night but everything stayed dry. It was pretty humid, and we were COLD. I ended up turning the oscillation off on the fan and aiming it at the ceiling…that made it tolerable for me and DD, but DH was still cold so he went and slept in the truck!

I read on one of the boards that someone suggested a portable heater for a tent…in Florida…in August. People thought that poster was nuts. But now I can totally see how it could cut down on the humidity a little and also keep people like us warm. I’m just wondering if we will ever be able to comfortably camp in other seasons and be warm.

Welcome to the board!

Great report so far! You had me at margaritas. :heart:

I also live close to the Fort and I'm always cold. Even in our rv, in the dead of summer, the A/C will freeze me out. When we tent camped, we would use a small electric heater (small, like the size of a large lunchbox) and it was just enough to keep the damp, cold, feeling out. Some good warm quilts and maybe even fuzzy jammies, and you'll be good to go.

Looking forward to hearing the rest of your tenting adventures!

Hey we love trip reports even if they don't have pictures (well except maybe Lou who doesn't read trip reports). I learned that air matresses will pull the heat out of you the hard way too. Now I tend to lay a sleeping bag down to insulate between me and the air matress. Sounds like there were a few bumps in the road but you guys are making the best of it (and of course the bumps are what you will always remember).

Very Nice! Welcome!

This was my favorite line. I laughed out loud!

The ice machine was out of order so I called the front desk and demanded an upgrade to the Grand Floridian

You'll fit in perfectly here!

Excellent report! Absolutely true that air mattresses get cold. Very cold. A few years ago, we went camping in the blue ridge mountains in October. My dear husband stayed up most of the night running the hot air popcorn popper to keep us warm. I don't camp in the mountains in October anymore. :welcome:

Well considering you were camping newbies, it didn't take long for you to get your camping priorities straight. First order of duty....head to the liquor store. :rofl3:

I know you want us to think that you were being all thoughtful and everything by protecting your friend's veggies from your meat juices on the grill....but I know the truth. You didn't want your meat spoiled by touching any nasty vegetables!

Love it! You were definitely way more prepared than I was for our first family camping adventure!

Very wise to be sure you had refreshments on hand. I've heard those coolers are good. Our friends had one once when we were all tenting a few years back and the burgers she made for dinner on our second night were still frozen when she pulled them out for the grill!

As for being warm in a tent, my methods always included long johns worn under pi's or sweats, socks, and a sleeping bag rated under 40 degrees. We would all wear the boys' soccer socks - you know those gigantic, long wool ones that come standard with the uniforms, that you end up throwing in a bag and then buying better ones at Dick's for ten bucks? Well they finally have a purpose! Keeping feet warm while camping!

We had a little electric heater, too, but mostly used it to warm the tent up before we turned in. I didn't like the idea of leaving it on while we slept.

FP4