What to do when you boss says "Yes. You can take your 3 weeks of vacation at once"

Your pictures are beautiful! It looks like you had a sunnier day than we did.

Congrats on your contest win!

Thanks!

This is the freakiest sh*t I've ever seen!!

Great info on the annual passes.

You're pictures are outstanding! Though I'm sure in your eyes they can't compare to the real thing. This is probably the closest I'll ever get to that area, so I am digging it!

I'd be....petrified to be driving out to the middle of nowhere. Yep, you can always count on me for a corny joke.

:stooges:

I think Clark Griswold traveled some of those same roads on his way to Wally World.

Luckily Disneyland was not closed when we got there or I would have bought a real gun I think. Glad you are enjoying.

Jason,

I am just loving your trip report!!! Since I am still feeling sad that our almost three week road trip is over, your trip report is cheering me up!

Love your pictures at the National Park sign! We do that to! I think my favorite National Park signs is the one at Crater Lake National Park and one of the ones at Glacier National Park. We have noticed that when a National Park has several entrances, some of the signs are nicer than others.

So sad to hear that people have over time taken bits of the petrified wood. I have to admit that I also particiapated in a blunder similiar to that when I was 7-8 years old.....every summer, my folks brought us travleing to the National Parks out west (its where I got my love of travel!) anyway, when I was quite young we visited the Badlands National Park. Beofre we left, I scooped up just a pinch of the strange rock. I didnt know what I did was wrong, I just wanted a souviner. Later that day, I happily showed it to my Mom, who was furious at me...............to this day, I remember what she told me, "if everybody took a piece of the Badlands, eventually there would be no Badlands"..........geez, I felt terrible..........

Keep the pictures coming!!!

Heidi

I will admit that I have a piece of petrified wood on my entertainment center right now. I bought it at the unofficial gift center right outside that gets it from legal sources in other parts of the country. We will have to wait till later in the trip to see if I remain a fine upstanding citizen.

I'm the opposite Stef!! Those views call to me!!!! I can't WAIT to drive out there and be able to see the horizon in every direction!!!!!

and I can't wait until I can get back there.

I just got the chance to read this TR, what I trip. Your pictures are beautiful, I hope I can make a trip like that one of these days. I am chicken thou I would have to have my MH.

I would have loved to have had a MH but the rental was just not in the budget. The one downside to Bottomless Lakes is the bugs at night. They consider regular Off to be gravy and just come after you even more. This time through I knew that so I brought some 100% deet off with us just for this occasion. Worked like a charm.

Awesome tr! we have been thru roswell many times and never stopped to see the sites - thanks for sharing. the pics are great! I have a chunk of petrified wood sitting by my fireplace. Love how it looks and it is soooo heavy.

I agree-always keep a full tank. where you think a gas station should be-it won't be.

How cool is that! Glad you won and have a great time.

Thanks! We are very excited but I think having more time to spend there might end up costing me more in the long run. Ah well you only live once.

What a cool trip! I'm enjoying following along. Great pics!

Glad you enjoying them! Many more to come.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok so when we left off we had made an unscheduled stop at Lyman Lake. It was a beautiful place but we had a date with our first National Park of the trip. So we packed up and headed out around 7 a.m.

Silvia was feeling better and it was time to head back to California Adventure. We had the reserved area for World of Color so we headed over there to watch the show. A nice moon that night A s

We detoured an hour put of puts for Shenandoah

So it is now day 5 of our Road trip and we wake up in San Diego. We had a couple of things to do today and we were looking forward to them. First up was the San Diego Zoo. My wife thought I was crazy when I told her we would need a full day to cover this. We came close we hit about 85%. That will probably take a few posts of pictures so I will pick up the story in a later post. For now enjoy.

Just thought I should elaborate a little more on the Zoo for everyone. It really is huge and is built on the side of a canyon with terraced levels. you can walk around the zoo to your hearts content and they also have a sightseeing bus that drives around to the most popular animals and is high enough to see over the fence. Everything is completely handicapped accessible you just may have to go around some of the more direct paths sometimes.

They also have a sky tram that takes you over the zoo. Being completely afraid of heights I wasn't going near that thing. There are also lots of restaurants in the Zoo with many choices of food and levels of eating. It really is like going to a Disney park but almost all of the attractions are the animals.

One last thing. The zoo is in Balboa park. This is the museum mecca of San Diego. You could probably spend a week in Balboa Park alone and not see everything. So if you head out there check out what might be right next door. There may be something you would love to see.

Okay on with the pictures.

Going down the canyons headed for our first stop of the day.

DSC03204.jpg

DSC03207.jpg

The panda.

DSC03214.jpg

There is a limit to how many people can go into the enclosure area to see the enclosure area to see the panda at one time. As the day progresses the line backs up. I highly recommend this as a first stop early in the day as the line can get to over an hour.

Next up some mingo's. Sorry no purple ones.

DSC03223.jpg

Then onto the Polar Bears

DSC03239.jpg

DSC03241.jpg

DSC03243.jpg

I dont think I can remember the name of every single animal so I am just gonna post pictures now and throw shout outs when I recognize them.

DSC03248.jpg

DSC03252.jpg

DSC03258.jpg

Deer/antelope hiding in the bush

DSC03261.jpg

Best to let sleeping kitties lie I think.

DSC03273.jpg

Elephants!

DSC03275.jpg

DSC03286.jpg

There is a funny story about this elephant. He was posing so nicely eating some hay as I snapped his picture. I was going to bring out my video camera to get some nice video of him. Just as I was about to start filming he decides he need to go to the bathroom. Mothers were grabbing children and covering there eyes. Teenagers started giggling. Let me put it this way. His "other trunk" was as long as his regular one. Then he turned around and left a number 2 on it. I so wanted to tape because really I am a kid at heart and potty humor is always funny. But Silvia made some threats if I did so I didn't. But i did share it with you guys so don't tell her. LOLOL

Continuing on.

Free range peacock.

DSC03289.jpg

Timon!

DSC03299.jpg

DSC03300.jpg

Hyena

DSC03312.jpg

another meerkat posing oh so nicely for me.

DSC03324.jpg

Cheetah

DSC03327.jpg

Mingo

DSC03333.jpg

Zebra

DSC03335.jpg

Koala

DSC03341.jpg

Sloth Bear

DSC03349.jpg

Waterfall in an aviary

DSC03358.jpg

Gorilla

DSC03370.jpg

Tiger...eating dinner

DSC03378.jpg

Giant cactus

DSC03385.jpg

and Silvia

Galapagos Tortoise

DSC03389.jpg

This guys was over 120 years old if I remember correctly.

and we didn't get one on the way in sooo....

DSC03396.jpg

We took over 300 pictures in the zoo and were there from 9:15 to almost 5. They have so many animals that I can't remember all of them. Also for the kids and Disney Fans they do a special tour and take you around to all the animals from the Lion King. For a price if I remember correctly.

Next post seeing the Pacific and ...wait are we on the right coast?

Our next stop after leaving the zoo was a trip over to Coronado Island. I wanted to get Silvia over to the pacific and our beach day was the next day so I popped over. I also wanted to show her some thing over there.

Here's the beach

DSC03408.jpg

DSC03409.jpg

A very happy Silvia.

DSC03414.jpg

Is that the Grand Floridian?

DSC03416.jpg

Nope that's the Hotel del Coronado which the Grand Floridian was modeled after. Very pretty to look at and about the same price to stay at. Which is why we are in a Comfort Inn and not here.

After that we headed back to the hotel to clean up a little and get ready to go to dinner.

Silvia loved the palm trees that looked different from teh ones in Florida and snagged a picture

DSC03444.jpg

I took Silvia over to Ocean Beach to a place I had been to last time I was here. It was so good last time me and my buddy came back the next night. This place was also featured on Diner's, Drive Inn's, and Dive's on the Food Network. Fabulous Burgers and shakes just a short walk from the beach. Tiny place so there is always a line but it is worth is.

The name of the restaurant is Hodad's

DSC03448.jpg

Inside Hodad's

DSC03454.jpg

DSC03455.jpg

I even have food pictures of kitties for Dave!

DSC03460.jpg

Outside Hodad's

DSC03462.jpg

And down by the pier. I will call these Sunset on Ocean Beach

DSC03463.jpg

DSC03466.jpg

DSC03471.jpg

DSC03476.jpg

We returned to the hotel to get some rest and I did some laundry. We were changing locations tomorrow and I didn't want to spend any time where we were going doing laundry.

to be continued.

The next morning we loaded the car back up and headed out for some history. We like to visit museums and other things that are significant to a places history. This morning we went to the first Spanish mission opened in California. Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala'. We were a little early for opening so we spent some time taking pictures of the grounds outside.

DSC03482.jpg

DSC03483.jpg

DSC03494.jpg

DSC03506.jpg

Once inside we paid for our photo copied map and went on our way. The map actually has some information in it and each area has displays and plaques telling about what you are seeing. I think It was $10 a person to go in.

This was the padre's quarters.

DSC03516.jpg

DSC03520.jpg

This chapel is still in use to this day and holds all the usual ceremonies.

DSC03535.jpg

DSC03544.jpg

DSC03545.jpg

Then we went into the courtyard. A lot of artists like to come here and paint because of the beautiful flowers and architecture.

DSC03556.jpg

DSC03567.jpg

DSC03569.jpg

DSC03572.jpg

DSC03584.jpg

DSC03585.jpg

DSC03587.jpg

DSC03591.jpg

DSC03594.jpg

DSC03599.jpg

We then proceeded through an open air corridor towards the back of the mission and a museum detailing the history of the mission.

DSC03620.jpg

Being musicians we were drawn to some parts of the museum more than others.

DSC03632.jpg

DSC03644.jpg

There were some other exhibits in the museum are but really it was just one room with some trinkets found during the restoration and rebuilding of the mission.

There was also a small chapel in the back of the mission.

DSC03663.jpg

and the larger courtyard in the back of the mission has a large fountain.

DSC03666.jpg

DSC03670.jpg

DSC03671.jpg

The mission is a very beautiful place to visit and is a very peaceful and serene place. You definitely some away with a feeling of having a weight lifted from you that you didn't even realize was there.

Up next The Beach!!

Loving this trip, SD zoo is one I have wanted to visit since Marlin Perkins was on TV.

Yup, I'm old...so's dirt LOL

Okay time for me to hit Google. You pulled a name I have never heard of before. I am usually a pretty good fount of nearly useless information but this time you got me.

After leaving the mission we headed over to La Jolla Cove to do some swimming. Okay so Sil did some swimming I sat on the beach and took some pictures. I am not a big beach person and it was crowded that day. I just sat and read my book.

DSC03701.jpg

DSC03702.jpg

DSC03709.jpg

DSC03711.jpg

DSC03715.jpg

The beach is down on the right.

DSC03716.jpg

DSC03718.jpg

DSC03726.jpg

Down on the beach.

DSC03728.jpg

Lots of seals and birds over on the rocks.

DSC03730.jpg

I have been threatened upon pain of death or worse if I post a pic of Silvia in her bathing suit so we will move on.

We spent a couple of hours at the beach and then packed up and headed north. We were heading towards the mecca of all things Disney parks. Disneyland.

We had looked at the pricing of staying on site there but it is just too expensive. We did some checking and I found a great deal on a suite that was just down the road with an ART bus stop right outside. The ART stands for Anaheim Resort Transit. You can get a pass for unlimited rides back and forth from several locations right to Disney's door. Since we were a couple of blocks away it was worth the break our feet got.

Heading North

DSC03775.jpg

There are no gates to drive thru when heading to Disneyland since it is in the middle of the city. We were staying at the Peacock Suites. This was a Shell Vacations time share resort but they didn't pressure you to sit through a presentation. Just made sure you knew they were available and sent you on your way with a welcome folder showing you all the surrounding businesses and stuff about their time shares.

DSC03783.jpg

DSC03785.jpg

I think that is all the picture we thought to take but I know there was a pull out couch in the living room area. This turned out to be a very affordable place for us. The mall was right next door with lots of places to eat. and the ART bus stopped right at the driveway. It worked very well for us. We weren't getting tickets to go into the parks until the next day so we headed over to explore Downtown Disney..Anaheim style.

DSC03804.jpg

DSC03813.jpg

DSC03838.jpg

We had dinner over at the mall at Fire and Ice and went to the hotel to crash. We had a lot of exploring to do and we wanted to be rested for it.

I will pick this up with Disneyland tomorrow.

I'm always amazed at how rugged the Pacific coastline is compared to what I've seen of the Atlantic. Great updates! Looking forward to your pics of Disneyland.

it's tomorrow--you can continue now! :rofl2:

really good tr so far. the pic of you two outside the zoo is really good. it's a framer if you ask me. :)

okay--give me some DISNEY!! :rofl3:

Unfortunately you will have to wait till this afternoon. Silly work thinks I should be fixing things. Don't they know there are people waiting on this trip report!

Great updates, The San Diego Zoo is nice you did a good job seeing so much of it the skyway ride is new since I was there last. I like how you got to a resturant from Triple D's I told my wife we need to get his books so we can hit some things from the show when we travel. Anyway let's get going with the Disneyland pictures, like the rest of your photos so far they will be great. Thanks again for your , trip report.

Dang, Jason, you are covering a lot of ground fast!

Good job!

I love all the San Diego photos. My brother lived there for a couple of years while he was stationed there in the Navy. I always intended to go out and visit him, but never did. Too bad.

That suite you got near Disneyland looks pretty nice. I can't wait to see the Disneyland photos!

TCD

STOP!!!! I just got caught up and I need a minute to catch my breath. If the actual trip moved at anything close to the pace of this report, you have a heck of a lot more energy than I do. One minute we're in the Painted Desert, the next I see ocean. I'm exhausted!

Now a couple comments. First off, that burger looks awesome. I have always said that given a choice, I would choose a good burger over a steak 9 out of 10 times. And that looks like a good one.

Secondly, like Heidi I also love the picture of the National Park sign at the Painted Desert. Take a look at that lettering...that is definitely old school. It reminds me of pictures my grandma took on her journeys out west after my grandfather passed away in the early 70's. That sign looks like a product of the 60's, so I bet there was a pic of my grandma standing in front of that exact sign! I do remember her petrified forest pictures.

Next, isn't Sedona wild looking? You are right, that red is so vibrant. I loved the surrounding area, although I wasn't as crazy about the town itself as it was so overdeveloped and "artsy fartsy". Not really my thing.

Looking forward to your Disneyland pics.

This has got to be the most rapid, widespread report ever done on FF! :thumbsup2:

There's so much I can't possibly comment, other than to say "I'm in awe!"

I love Triple D and often watch back to back reruns on Friday night....such a party animal. I remember seeing Hodad's!

Unless your next update is m e l l o w, I'm only going to respond with a gaping mouth smiley face. It would just be easier for us both. :P

GREAT JOB!!!

Okay sorry guys. I guess I am just excited reliving the trip and more importantly I know that if I slow down to much I will start to forget to post the rest. I hope everyone caught there breath and used the bathroom cause in a couple of minutes we are heading to Disneyland!

Okay sorry guys. I guess I am just excited reliving the trip and more importantly I know that if I slow down to much I will start to forget to post the rest. I hope everyone caught there breath and used the bathroom cause in a couple of minutes we are heading to Disneyland!

Okay, it's been 12 minutes. Where are the pics?

Okay. Time to get up and head over to Disneyland. According to the time stamp on the first picture we were in line and ready to head in by 7:45 am. There is no fun opening show like in Disney World. Just a voice over that repeatedly reminds people not to run . We headed straight to guest services to get our first visit pins and the lady there took a picture for us. We also had joined a photopass share so we have some pictures from that as well that I will share probably in a group at the end of the Disney report.

Here we go. Feel free to ask questions if I forget to point something out on the tour.

DSC03892.jpg

DSC03893.jpg

DSC03904.jpg

Star Tours! Had to get a fast pass for this right away as it had just opened in its new form and I hadn't been on it yet. I made up for it during this visit.

DSC03917.jpg

While I was grabbing fastpasses for Star Tours, there was a huge line, Silvia took the camera and headed over to the hub for pictures of the Castle and area.

DSC03922.jpg

DSC03930.jpg

This is quite possible one of the coolest pictures I have seen and I really wish I had taken it but it was Silvia.

DSC03959.jpg

No that is not upside down. The water was that still it made a perfect reflection.

Next we rode the teacups. With the dramatically lower rainfall amounts and generally lower humidity a lot of Disneyland is open to the air.

DSC03973.jpg

Another thing Disneyland has outside a bunch of the rides is a photo op ride vehicle.

DSC03975.jpg

Mr. Toads wild ride. I never got to ride this in Florida so I am glad we did it here.

DSC03980.jpg

The Plaza restaurant. Kind of similar to the Crystal Palace. We had reservations adn we were going to meet a bunch of characters.

DSC04001.jpg

Silvia had no clue his hook was to her neck. hehehe.

DSC04016.jpg

I just realized a lot of our Disneyland photos did not get printed and therefor are not loaded up. I am going to pause here and check whats missing and see what I should upload to share. Probably be a while so enjoy the break. We have a lot to see here.

DSC03917.jpg

Ok so after further checking there are a lot of Disneyland Pictures I don't have loaded. I think this may take a couple of hours to get them online. I will hopefully return with more later tonight.

The album's we printed were for everyone's enjoyment and let's just say that some of Silvia's family are not as into Disney as we are.