What to do when you boss says "Yes. You can take your 3 weeks of vacation at once"

A lot of people I know would love to take off from work for three weeks and go see the country. I think most of them are on this board. :wave1: I have been lucky enough to be able to do it twice now. The most recent was last summer, I have a lot of pictures from that trip so I decided I would share some of them here. I wont be doing a lot of writing in this one so even Bob should enjoy it.

We left on July 1st at 3 in the morning. We had a reservation for the night in Crossville, TN and that was a lot of miles before we were stopping. Our journey took us from CT, through NY and into PA where we made our first stop. I had promised SIlvia a stop at Hershy so she could get a chocolate shake.

We stopped at a truck stop in PA and I had to walk to the other end of the lot to take a look at this.

DSC01657.jpg

First time I have seen one of those but it was pretty cool. I didn't go in so that's all you get. Our next stop was Hershey.

DSC01672.jpg

For those of you who have not met her that is my wife Silvia in the shadows. She was really excited about her milkshake .

DSC01676.jpg

Sorry no actual pic of her milkshake. I think it was on her phone. I was busy exploring as 9:30 in the morning was a little to early for a milkshake for me.

We did see this guy though and he was kind enough to pose for me.

DSC01682.jpg

Continuing on we went through Maryland.

DSC01698.jpg

West Virginia

DSC01699.jpg

and Virginia sorry no sign picture before entering Tennessee.

DSC01726.jpg

We saw a hot air balloon before reaching our campground.

DSC01731.jpg

W stayed that night at the Crossville KOA. It was almost time for them to close up the office when we arrived and they were worried we had gotten lost. They forgave us when we told them we had driven straight from Connecticut. This was a very nice campground. We were tenting it so we had a site by a pond that had a picnic table and the area was nice and grassy. The comfort stations wer clean as well.

Some pics of the KOA were taken at night and some in the morning. Sorry for the lighting.

DSC01733.jpg

DSC01738.jpg

Our tent for our travels.

DSC01739.jpg

Just big enough to hold a queen size air matress.

The office/store

DSC01742.jpg

We setup the tent broke out the grill and made some hot dogs. After dinner we took a shower and went to bed. It had been a long day and we had many miles to go tomorrow.

I will pause here. In the next installment we cross the Mississippi River and head to Alma, AK Spinach capital of the world.(so the signs said anyway).

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok so when we left off we had made an unscheduled stop at Lyman Lake. It was a beautiful place but we had a date with our first National Park of the trip. So we packed up and headed out around 7 a.m.

Silvia was feeling better and it was time to head back to California Adventure. We had the reserved area for World of Color so we headed over there to watch the show. A nice moon that night A s

We detoured an hour put of puts for Shenandoah

Day 2. We stopped at the gas station near the highway for fuel and so Silvia could get a Coffee. And then hopped on the road. It was about 7 am. We headed down I40 passing through Nashville and Memphis and then Crossing the Mississippi River into Arkansas.

DSC01759.jpg

Nashville

DSC01745.jpg

DSC01746.jpg

Memphis

DSC01767.jpg

DSC01770.jpg

Crossing the Mississippi

DSC01774.jpg

DSC01775.jpg

DSC01777.jpg

And cue the flat land.

DSC01786.jpg

DSC01802.jpg

Silvia had never been off the east coast besides flying to a destination so the changes in the land were a source of constant amazement for her. I also found the differences striking and beautiful.

We made it to Alma around 5 that evening and took a ride through the town to check it out and find a grocery store.

DSC01835.jpg

DSC01836.jpg

At a park in Alma.

DSC01839.jpg

DSC01840.jpg

DSC01841.jpg

And you finally get a picture of me in this trip report.

DSC01842.jpg

They put a lot of detail into the fountain of Popeye.

DSC01845.jpg

We stopped and picked up a couple of steaks to make for dinner and headed to our campground. We were staying this night at the Alma KOA. It was an okay campground. Not sure I would want to spend more than 1 night there but tit worked for our purposes. The bathrooms were fairly clean. This stop was one of our warmest nights. The midwest was in the beginning of that heat wave last summer and the low for the night was going to be 85 degrees I think. We decided to leave the rain fly off the tent to improve circulation. There were a lot of bugs around here as well.

DSC01848.jpg

Sorry forgot to take pictures of the rest of the amenities.

Continued in next post. Day 3 Oklahoma, Texas, and Roswell, NM for the last day of the International UFO Festival.

Day 3. We headed out from Alma pretty early as we really wanted to make it to Roswell before the UFO museum closed for the day. Back onto I40 we went zipping right into Oklahoma. Last time I did this trip with a buddy of mine were detoured off of I40 because a barge had hit a bridge. We saw a memorial for that in our travels. We also had chance to hop onto Rt. 66 for a little bit and stopped at the Oklahoma Rt. 66 museum but they weren't open yet. We continued on through to Texas where we switched roads in Amarillo at the signs for the 72 ounce steak (nope didn't get one) and headed across country to Roswell. We made it to Roswell at around 5 p.m. and had enough time to visit the museum before it closed. Then we got some dinner at Golden Corral before heading out to our campground. More on that later. But for now Pictures!

We missed the welcome to OK sign to I took this at our first rest area stop.

DSC01866.jpg

Driving through OK

DSC01889.jpg

DSC01914.jpg

Rt. 66

DSC01921.jpg

First wind turbines of the trip.

DSC01929.jpg

Heading down more of Rt. 66

DSC01945.jpg

DSC01946.jpg

DSC01947.jpg

At the Rt. 66 museum

DSC01952.jpg

DSC01959.jpg

DSC01963.jpg

eh close enough

DSC01964.jpg

Back on I40

DSC01972.jpg

DSC01975.jpg

And entering Texas

DSC01996.jpg

In case you weren't sure they give you plenty of signs your in TX

and our first giant cross of the trip.

DSC02002.jpg

our first and I think only old windmill

DSC02008.jpg

at a rest area on I40

DSC02009.jpg

DSC02010.jpg

DSC02016.jpg

There was a prevailing wind blowing that had made the trees grow up a little bit funny.

DSC02017.jpg

Amarillo

DSC02027.jpg

Heading towards Roswell

DSC02034.jpg

We saw a lot of really big long trains on this trip. You don't see them to much in the northeast.

DSC02037.jpg

Dust Devil

DSC02039.jpg

Welcome to New Mexico!

DSC02042.jpg

This was on an island in the middle of the road.

DSC02043.jpg

Driving to Roswell. Wishing I had filled up at the last gas station we passed even though we didnt need it yet.

DSC02048.jpg

DSC02052.jpg

DSC02058.jpg

Photo Limit. To be continued.

I know exactly where that truck stop is in PA. I live about 1/2 hour from there and used to stop there on the way to work when I was with the VA hospital in Lebanon, PA. There are much nicer truck stops nearby now, Jason, with cleaner rest rooms. I won't hold it against you that you didn't stop by and say howdy.

Welcome aboard photogal. We have a lot more pictures to go. When we made the trip we ended up with 3500 pictures. We cut that down to just over 800 to print for albums and I am cutting just a little bit more so far for this report. If you or anyone else sees something they want to see more pics of speak up and I will see what I have.

I know exactly where that truck stop is in PA. I live about 1/2 hour from there and used to stop there on the way to work when I was with the VA hospital in Lebanon, PA. There are much nicer truck stops nearby now, Jason, with cleaner rest rooms. I won't hold it against you that you didn't stop by and say howdy.

I believe that one was a Pilot and I have had good luck with those in the past but this one was not quite the same level. It was a necessity stop though so we did use the restrooms and grab some munchies though.

I'm in! Couldn't miss a TR from my tenting buddies. :jumpforjoy

I've had those milkshakes. I'd drive down miles of long flat roads to get to them. Not sure why you're driving away from them but enjoying the sights along the way...

oh and :wave1: Silvia!

I believe that one was a Pilot and I have had good luck with those in the past but this one was not quite the same level. It was a necessity stop though so we did use the restrooms and grab some munchies though.

Hope you waved as you passed me on 81 in the Wilkes Barre area. My kids always laugh when they see at truck chapel.

Road Trip, Rt 66 and UFO's. Good deal!

PS: When you are in west Texas and on into New Mexico, stop every time you see a gas station. You never know where the next will be. Same goes for the Dakotas. Packing stuff for lunch is also a good idea. You might find a Dairy Queen but that's about it.

Looks like a fun trip, those mobile chapels are at a lot of truck stops some never move, a guy I worked with years ago would preach at the one near my house but I never went down to hear him. Looking forward to more of your adventure!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is going to be a fun read!!! We just got home on Thursday from an almost three week traveling vacation.....put on aroung 2,800 miles. It was our third western adventure. We are from the east coast too....NH. However, we fly out west, rent a van and stay in different hotels every night as we travel around. You guys are awesome to do all that traveling and set up a tent every night!!!! My hat goes off to you!!!!!

We LOVE Hershey too!!! We used to sneak in a trip every year. Its only 8 hours from our house to Hershey. We havent been for three years now....darn kids growing up and getting too busy!!!

I hear you about getting gas when you can.....sometimes little towns are few and far between.

Can't wait for your next update!!

:thumbsup3: good job!

Thanks Bob!

Enjoying your pics and story tremendously! You guys covered a LOT of ground.

Especially on the first day of our trip we do a long drive. I think it has to do with me wanting to get out of range of being called back if there is an emergency.

This is looks like a fun trip. Great pics!

Thanks! It was a great time and Silvia is always asking when we can go again.

I'm in! Couldn't miss a TR from my tenting buddies. :jumpforjoy

I've had those milkshakes. I'd drive down miles of long flat roads to get to them. Not sure why you're driving away from them but enjoying the sights along the way...

oh and :wave1: Silvia!

Hi camping buddy!!! Silvia could have spent much more time at Hershey but we had so much to cover on this trip that we had to get moving.

I'm along for the ride!! This is great so far. :heartsmiley:

Welcome aboard! I am glad you are enjoying it.

Well I'll be. I thought that might be one of the words that gets filtered.

Enjoying the report!!

Doh! I wish I could claim i was typing on my phone and auto correct got me. But I was on my regular computer. Glad you are aboard and clearly paying attention.

Whoa there cowboy, I don't quite understand/believe this sentence.

Just kidding.

Great TR. cool idea to show all the you are now entering.......state signs

It also helped when we were trying to keep track of where the pictures were taken. Sometimes stretches of road are hard to tell apart.

Looks like quite an adventure!

Looking forward to hearing more :popcorn:

More coming up after my replies.

Hope you waved as you passed me on 81 in the Wilkes Barre area. My kids always laugh when they see at truck chapel.

Sorry Bill. I didn't know the fiends last year. I will definitely wave next time though.

Thanks for doing this TR Jason. It's good to see Silvia included, too. Now she just needs an account so she can tell us what she thought of everything.

Silvia's thoughts are really easy to channel. "OOOOHHHH SO pretty!" Silvia isn't a big boards person and right now she is starting Grad school so I don't know how often I will be seeing her to begin with. Maybe in 2 years I can convince her to join up.