We're planning our first trip to FW.

Just curious why people rent golf carts. Is it for practical reasons such as the place is huge, the Disney bus system in the campground isn't reliable enough, etc? Or is it for fun reasons such as looping, etc?

For the people who do rent carts, do they use them to go from their site to the outpost up front to catch a bus to the theme parks (is there cart parking up front)?

Is it practical to use bicycles rather than a cart?

Note that we are bringing a class C without a toad so won't have other transporation.

We are asking because the cost for a week rental through Kenny / Tee Time, while cheaper than Disney, is still a chunk of money.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I need a golf cart because when I try to ride my bike to the pool, my margarita spills all over me and is pretty much empty by the time I get there.

You had better hope one of the Fort Rangers doesn't catch you on a golf cart with a margarita. You will be in big trouble! You will probably get a copy of the golf cart rules handed to you. Printed

You're going to have a super time!! We rent a golf cart because the place is huge, because Lou won't let us ride the busses ;) and also because it is fun to go looping in your spare time. There is cart parking at both the marina and the outpost. We've never brought bikes, but I know that some people do.

Hope that helps!

Carts are a lot of fun and a great way to tour the Fort, and can also be a convenience, but they're not a necessity.

Bikes will do just fine and the internal bus system gets you where you need to go.

We enjoy having a cart just to go for a ride (looping) or to go do laundry, or grab something at the store, or the best use... go visit other Fiends!!

We also take the cart to the marina or Outpost to grab the boat/bus to the parks.

But if you are going to spend a lot of time in the parks vs hanging out at the Fort, or carts just aren't in your budget, you can get along just fine without them.

There are also bike racks at the marina and Outpost, so you can go that route (and the Fort is setup great for bike riding in general), or just hop the bus.

We'd be lost without a cart at the fort but we're not bike people. If it's a rainy week, you're going to be a lot more comfortable on a cart than on a bike. It's also a lot easier to carry mugs, towels, purses, etc in a cart. Either way, the fort is a wonderful place to spend time. Hope you have a terrific trip!

I second what Monique said.

We're actually bike riders, so we really debated this last time, but we also have a 3 year old, so that factored in too. In order to give you my full opinion, I'd want to know the ages in your group, the time you want to spend in the parks, and how much you like biking.

We decided to get a cart, loved it, and are getting one again for our Easter trip. If we hadn't had a kid who couldn't ride his own bike, we would have ALMOST been as happy riding bikes. But don't estimate the fun of throwing a cooler and snack on the cart and going to meet Fiends. :)

We have been with and without a cart, but not with bikes. We are older than dirt though! The Fort is huge! The only problem with the buses is that you may have to wait a bit for an internal bus to take you to the out post or the Marina. Then you will have to wait for that bus or the boat. That being said, if I was gonna be gung ho in the parks, I probably would not feel that it was as crucial for transportation.

We are loopers. It was horrible when we were there in July without a cart. I had to drive the car over to the Fiend Gathering and to take the food. I said never again would we be without one. We didn't go to the parks at all.

We had never rented a cart in all the years we've been going to the Fort until this past year. For our last 3 trips we rented one. We enjoyed having a cart so much that this past August we bought one! I agree with Mo, you don't need a cart but it sure does make looping and visiting other Fiends a lot more fun, :)

We have not yet done the cart thing. However, we have only stayed at the Fort for a week. We have younger kids (10,8) so we spent alot of time in the park. Last time we stayed in Preferred which is walking distance to the Marina and the settlement. This year we have two stays in premium loops which could put us all over the place so I will know by the end of those if I want a cart next time.

We are not cart folks! We either take the bus,walk or ride our bikes. We like the buses. Really don't mind the waits...just like having someone else do the driving. We also have little electric scooters....we are going to bring those in Oct. So everone watch out for the two old farts folks on the ez-zips.

My younger ones LOVED the golf carts, as a matter of fact that might have been their favorite part, we havent tried the bikes, my nerves would probably give out worrying about where everyone one was (5 kids) I personally feel it's a MUST if you have the little ones in tow but that's just MHO :) When my guys decide it's time to go, it' s TIME to go, waiting on a bus would be painful for all at that point.

We rented one from Disney for a day years ago. The next trip we rented for a week. Before the next rip we had bought one. Then we had to buy a bigger cargo trailer to move it. We rarely take it anywhere except the Fort, but there are many days we don't go to the parks, so it comes in handy for moving a couple of wheelchair bound kids around. We like the busses and use them to the Outpost and Marina, depending on where our site is. And of course there are mail runs, trading post runs, laundry, looping, visiting, etc. Depends on your likes and your budget. As others have said, it's a convenience, not a necessity for most people.

I need a golf cart because when I try to ride my bike to the pool, my margarita spills all over me and is pretty much empty by the time I get there.

You had better hope one of the Fort Rangers doesn't catch you on a golf cart with a margarita. You will be in big trouble! You will probably get a copy of the golf cart rules handed to you. Printed on orange paper and everything.

TCD

Uhh, cup cover and a straw.

Uhh, some of the idiot Rangers ask you what is in your cup. I had one ask me once. I told him none of his business (it was just soda, but last time I checked this was America).

Also, if Trish had a cup cover, then she could ride her bike with her margarita. As far as I know, that is still OK in the Fort. But, I would have to ask a friendly Ranger to be sure.

I also had a Ranger tell me that I couldn't even have an unopened beer in my golf cart cup-holder. The rules don't say this. The rules just say no consuming alcohol when the cart is in operation:

100_0761.jpg

And I have never seen a Ranger say anything to the idiots who drive around talking on their cell phones. But, I have seen the idiot Rangers drive around talking on their cell phones.

TCD

if Trish had a cup cover, then she could ride her bike with her margarita.

That's what I meant, so she could ride her bike.

Uhh, some of the idiot Rangers ask you what is in your cup. I had one ask me once. I told him none of his business (it was just soda, but last time I checked this was America).

How would the IR know that it is a Margarita? Are they going to taste it?

And if you tell them that is a Margarita, what do they ask you to do with it?