In a recent interview, the WDW Transportation VP revealed some changes that are in the works for the really cool looking but a poor excuse for a transportation mode, the monorails. Looks like within 2-1/2 years there will be no need for monorail pilots as we now know them. I guess pushing and pulling that heavy lever has just been too much.

The new automated control system will monitor and control train movement in real time and the role of the driver will switch from that of driving the trains, uh no, they don't drive them now, to enabling their movement. In other words, they'll press the big green "START" button and the big red "OFF" button. They'll also make the announcements. Really, why? They've been automated since the beginning and now some pimply faced college student will do them?

Maybe they'll finally get rid of that totally unnecessary spiel in Spanish. I'm having a big party, excuse me, a fiesta, if they do.

The transportation veep didn't mention anything about new monorails.

Here's my prediction based on nothing, and you heard it here first. At some point in order to reduce wear and tare, the monorails will be converted to an attraction that will make one loop around the lake.

It's not a big leap to think that as they only carry a small percentage of the total now. I know, it looks like a lot people, but one train is equivalent to a little over four buses. If you added up the total carrying capacity of all the monorails, it's equal to 50 buses. There are currently 319 buses, and growing, do the math.

The resort monorail tranports guests from only 3 resorts and the TTC to MK monorail shares the load with the ferries.

I realize you monorail lovers don't want to hear this, but the reality is that whenever the monorails break down and the buses take over, they move riders quicker and cheaper. I know, the buses aren't cool looking though.

Keep the cool looking monorails, but make them what they really are, a really cool looking ride.

Lou that is old news they didn't need them before. That why I alway's ? the accident. I know the system

That's not old news, it was just announced.

If you meant that they could have done it years ago, yes they could have.

I've researched the system, I know the system inside and out from an engineering view point. That was my job for 45 years.

I see your logic Lou.

But if they make the MR an attraction, what about the MR resorts? The CR wouldn't be the same without an active stop. Plus I wonder how many people chose a MR resort just for that reason.

Not arguing that it isn't a colossal money pit, just saying there is "some" return on investment. Granted negative, but could probably be worse.

I don't know where you get your information, Lou, but my sources tell me that Disney is breaking ground in the spring on a monorail extension to the WL and the Fort Settlement area. Only the monorails will be decorated to look like old stagecoaches. If stagecoaches were suspended on concrete beams 40 feet in the air. And connected end to end. It will be quite authentic. Just like the Old West.

Bobby told me the same thing last weekend after a few beers. The station will be in the 3000 loop.

With all the monorail hate coming from the bus drivers, I think it's high time to unthaw Walt's head and hook it up to a robot or whatever the plan is so he can tell everyone to get with the monorail expansion.

If you look at any of the old videos of Walt laying out his plans for EPCOT, it was all about the monorails and the peoplemover. Not buses.

And, I'm pretty sure Walt will be really pissed to see what happened to the lawnmower tree and to hear about the River Country DVC.

It is definitely time for the defrost.

TCD

Bobby says they are having trouble finding a suitable body for Walts head. The latest was a 22 year old stripper.

With all the monorail hate coming from the bus drivers, I think it's high time to unthaw Walt's head and hook it up to a robot or whatever the plan is so he can tell everyone to get with the monorail expansion.

If you look at any of the old videos of Walt laying out his plans for EPCOT, it was all about the monorails and the peoplemover. Not buses.

And, I'm pretty sure Walt will be really pissed to see what happened to the lawnmower tree and to hear about the River Country DVC.

It is definitely time for the defrost.

TCD

I concur. Plus, when is the last time you've heard this....."Daddy, Daddy! Can we go ride the buses?" It doesn't happen.

Not arguing that it isn't a colossal money pit, just saying there is "some" return on investment. Granted negative, but could probably be worse.

You do realize that Disney isn't listening to me?

I don't know where you get your information, Lou, but my sources tell me that Disney is breaking ground in the spring on a monorail extension to the WL and the Fort Settlement area. Only the monorails will be decorated to look like old stagecoaches. If stagecoaches were suspended on concrete beams 40 feet in the air. And connected end to end. It will be quite authentic. Just like the Old West.

I did hear that they were planning on doing that. You must have an inside source.

dave did you partake of the hippie juice this morning?

Where do I get some?

With all the monorail hate coming from the bus drivers

No hate, just pragmatism. I like the monorail for what they should be, a cool ride around WDW.

Bobby says they are having trouble finding a suitable body for Walts head. The latest was a 22 year old stripper.

You are one funny guy FWG.

I concur. Plus, when is the last time you've heard this....."Daddy, Daddy! Can we go ride the buses?" It doesn't happen.

How about hearing this. Daddy, daddy, why aren't we moving? And also, daddy why does it smell like a horse in here.

The fewer crumb crunchers on the buses the better we like it.

I will say, my Izzy trades pins and was doing some pin trades with the officers on the Dream last week. She has two monorail pins and she refused to give either of them up. There's just something cool about those monorails.

She doesn't have a bus pin, so I can't tell you whether she would trade one or not. Is there even a bus pin?