Magic Cruise-NYC to Canadian Maritimes 2012

normal_CaptainKiddMap3%7E0.jpg

On our last cruise we took advantage of the on-board booking discount and credit by making another reservation while still cruising. My wife wanted to share the experience of cruising with her parents, so we decided to book two cabins. The five-night New York City to the Canadian Maritimes cruises looked good--not too long, not too short, and didn't require a flight.

My wife picked up a DCL lanyard on the ship and a WDW lanyard in the parks. I printed up a little description of the cruise and of a typical WDW vacation, and we presented them with the lanyards and brochures for Christmas with a choice, they could choose whether they wanted their gift to be land or sea. They picked sea and the cruise planning began.

The Cast

MIL and FIL are retired seniors. FIL had a stroke years back and has limited use of one side of his body, so he can walk slowly with a cane. Neither are big Disney fans. They took a couple of Florida Vacations when my wife was a kid, but as owners and operators of a restaurant they did not take a lot of time off.

My wife Nicole is currently a student trying to start a second career. Our first trip together was to WDW, I proposed to her there, and we honeymooned there. So she is also a Disney fan, but perhaps not as much as me.

Travel and NYC

Today was Nicole's birthday, so it began with her opening my present to her. Uncharacteristically, I had obtained it much earlier knowing that with the vacation planning and preparing my usual last-minute gift getting would have worse results than usual. I got a Trollbead bracelet and a starter charm knowing she could get a DCL charm later on the ship.

We grabbed some breakfast at Dunky's and brought it up to her parents.

DSC01855.JPG

I rented a wheelchair last trip with the in-laws, but I was surprised and pleased to find that WalMart has wheelchairs for sale, and had one delivered right to our local store for about the same price as renting. It was a lightweight transport rig that MIL can hopefully handle. It was a great investment as it allowed FIL to go a lot further walking when he wanted to but able to roll when he had to.

We took a shuttle to the local bus station. Bus travel kind of sucks. No checked baggage and it was kind of crowded.

We were soon in Boston's South Station. It became evident when we were moving from the bus part of the station to the train part of the station that we had too much baggage to carry easily. I had really counted on porters/redcaps to help out, but that kind of service does not apparently come with bus travel.

Happily, when we go to the train station there was a terrific redcap who piled our luggage on a dolly and guided us through our first train trip. He got us onto the train before the regular passengers and then phoned ahead to make sure there would be someone waiting for us when got to NY Penn Station.

DSC01862.JPG

Train travel was easy and fun! There was a a ton of space in the seats, big picture windows, a dining car, free WiFi and power plugs. The bathroom was better than a porta-potty--I can't compare it to an airplane restroom because I have arranged my life around never having to use one, but it definitely is bigger. I started thinking that I might use trains exclusively from then on.

DSC01867.JPG

Then we got to NY Penn. No redcap, no help, no idea where to go. Eventually a redcap showed up but he was a total sourpuss and made it clear how much of an inconvenience we were. I was grateful that he was there, however, as I don't think I would have found the multiple hallways and elevators we had to take to reach the main level. We arrived at the taxi stand, loaded up and headed for the hotel.

We ended up taking two cabs everywhere when we were carrying luggage because it would not fit in one. I wish NYC still had the minivan cabs, they would have been perfect. Having the bankcard swiper in the backseat made everything a breeze, though.

We had dinner at Ellen's Stardust Diner, fun but it was perhaps a little too loud for the in-laws. The y did enjoy the Elvis decor and the atmosphere.

DSC05186.JPG

DSC05176.JPG

We stayed at the Intercontinental Barclay. Very fancy (at least to us).

IMG_2653_HDR2.jpg

IMG_2655%7E0.JPG

Full Moon badly photographed:

IMG_2662x.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Instant Message, Ante Meridiem and New Mexico.

The proportions are way off, but even if they were correct, it still does not qualify. Follow the link below. http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/1713-hidden-deliberate-mickeys/

I don't even know what IM, AM or NM stand for in this case.

Intentional Mickey, Accidental Mickey, and Natural Mickey.

Intentional Mickey is the same as a Deliberate Mickey.

Acidental Mickey would be like liquid spills, paint splatter, etc.

Natural Mickey could be one created by nature such as clouds, leaves in a pattern, and the most famous one, Minnie Moo.

Hey Lou, I saw the hidden Mickey(s) too of course the HM can be seen from all 4 sides or there are 2 too many ears

The proportions are way off, but even if they were correct, it still does not qualify. Follow the link below.

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/1713-hidden-deliberate-mickeys/