TRWCN - September 16-27, 2012

Since I didn’t do a trip report about my last trip until two years later, I figured I’d better get this one done in a timely manner. But my last one had a witty title and this one does not ( maybe it just takes me that long to come up with a good title). I had hoped that there would be an “aha!” moment on our trip that would present me with the perfect title for this TR, but alas there was none. So, I took a page from the Agent P handbook and instead of the OWACA (organization without a cool acronym) this TR is now the TRWACN (Trip report without a cool name).

Let’s get this party started.

I planned this trip almost from the time I got back from the last one in 2008. Originally, we planned to return in 2010. But life got in the way and we had to push it back. And then push it back again.

So finally we settled on September 2012. And I booked at the Beach Club. Then I added some days at the Nick Suites. Then I changed it to the Caribbean Beach Resort. And changed the extra days from Nick to the Fort. To say I have issues with making up my mind would be putting it mildly.

There is one thing I had firmly decided on and that was we would not be flying. I hate to fly. And if we were going to be camping, we needed to take the tent. I don’t call my tent “Tentzilla” for nothing…that sucker weighs a ton! But Vaughn wasn’t down with driving the whole way to Disney. So we found, what I consider, the ideal compromise… Amtrak’s Autotrain! We would drive from Pittsburgh to Lorton, VA and board the Autotrain. Our van would be loaded on as well. The train pulls out at 4 pm…you have dinner on board…go to sleep…and wake up in Sanford, FL.

The van was all loaded and ready to go the night before and Saturday morning at around 7 am, we pulled out and headed south.

IMG_2350.jpg

It only took us about 4 hours or so until we arrived in Lorton. We stopped to have lunch before checking in at the station.

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2361.jpg

We checked in a little after noon and then had some time to kill. They don't let you board until 2:30 and then the train is scheduled to depart at about 4. We were lucky and everyone had checked in and boarded before then so we actually got on the way about 3:30.

On the Auto Train they have three different seatings for dinner...5, 7 or 9. We took the 7. You can book either coach seats or a sleeper car. The sleepers are way more expensive and my kids can sleep anywhere, so we went with coach seats. They are very roomy and recline so we were good to go. I had stocked up on travel games and coloring books etc. to keep the kids entertained.

IMG_2370.jpg

Here's our booth in the dining car.

IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

There's an actual menu with about 6 different choices to order from.

I got the braised short ribs with garlic mashed potatoes and veggies. It was actually pretty good.

IMG_2377.jpg

Up next..

Sleeping on the train

Arriving in Sanford!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How exciting! That sounds like a great way to travel. I've never traveled by train so looking forward to reading.

Love the photos of mom/daughter & father son. Looks like this trip is off to a great start.

Thanks! We had a great time on the train. To me, the travel is part of the whole vacation!

LOL @ the title of your TR!

I have to say I was really surprised at your first photo. I can't believe how much your kids have grown since your last trip report!

I got to ride the AutoTrain once. It looks like they still do a good job with the food.

I'm looking forward to hearing all about your trip.

TCD

I do what I can. LOL!

We recreated a couple of pics from our 2008 trip on this one and that's when I notice how big they really have gotten.

Auto train food was actually really good. We all ate well.

:popcorn:

I'm in....

I'm here!! Your kid's have grown!!!

Ready for more!

Glad to have you guys on board (pun totally intended!)

Cool! I've always wondered what the Auto Train is like, can't wait to read more!

It was really great! Takes a little longer, but we all really enjoyed it!

After our dinner, we all changed into comfy clothes and set about relaxing until time for bed. They have a lounge car where the kids and I went to watch the evening movie “Mirror, Mirror”. Since our car was not very crowded, my son was able to lay across two seats behind my husband. Ali and I stuck together for the night. We made it thru the night without too much hardship. I had been on an overnight train to Chicago once and remember it being very cold so I brought blankets and pillows to make us comfortable. Vaughn didn’t have the best night sleep, but not the worst either. Wil could sleep thru a nuclear bomb. He also stretches out when he sleeps. Several times during the night the train steward came thru and had to ask Wil to put his feet back in because they were dangling into the aisle. Wil, of course, slept right thru this so Vaughn and I took turns getting up to tuck his tootsies back in.

Next morning, we woke, got changed and had a light breakfast. Before we knew it (and ahead of schedule) we were in Sanford. Once they pull in, they let the people get off the train and then you wait for them to get your vehicle off. They do not come off in the order they went on. When you check in, they put a magnetic number on the side of your vehicle, so when they take them off, they call the number over the loud speaker. When they called ours I yelled “BINGO!” and we were off!

It’s only about a 45 minute drive from Sanford to WDW so we were checking into the Caribbean Beach Resort well before noon.

Here’s our room before the hurricane also known as my family had a chance to hit it.

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

Once we got settled in, we headed to Downtown Disney for some grub and shopping. On our last three trips, we kind of take it easy the first day.

Ready to explore!

IMG_2381.jpg

IMG_2382.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

After playing in the water...

IMG_2386.jpg

IMG_2385.jpg

..we ended up here for lunch.

IMG_2390.jpg

We had never eaten here before, but I'd heard lots of good things and we were on the dining plan.

Vaughn and Ali got the Mac and Cheese.

IMG_2394.jpg

I had the salmon.

IMG_2391.jpg

And Wil got the pizza.

IMG_2393.jpg

I have to say my salmon was a tad on the dry side, but overall it was a really great meal and we would eat there again.

Next up...

Shopping!!

I love your title! Why fake it, right?

I loved meeting your family, and spending time with you on the beach was like hanging with an old friend.

I think the train is super cool. I need to ride one, somewhere. ^_^

Brilliant title. I am a big P&F fan.

Adorable kids!

We rode Amtrak for the first time this past summer. LOVED it! Just for a few hours, but I would definitely do it again. We had done fun steam train rides and subways in other cities so I wasn't sure what to expect but we were pleasantly surprised.

You made it and ahead of schedule, how awesome!! I love the Caribbean Beach Resort. Something about the calypso music just makes me smile!

We really enjoyed the Caribbean Beach. It was very pretty and relaxed. The kids really loved the pool.

I love your title! Why fake it, right?

I loved meeting your family, and spending time with you on the beach was like hanging with an old friend.

I think the train is super cool. I need to ride one, somewhere. ^_^

Right back at you Stef! :heart: Being with you guys was so comfortable. I had a blast!

Great report so far would love to try the Auto Train sometime.

Joining in. Thank you for the pics of the auto train. My wife and I have been talking about taking that for a change of place and because she has never been on a real train. just little trips on commuter rail and subways. Looking forward to more.

Brilliant title. I am a big P&F fan.

Adorable kids!

We rode Amtrak for the first time this past summer. LOVED it! Just for a few hours, but I would definitely do it again. We had done fun steam train rides and subways in other cities so I wasn't sure what to expect but we were pleasantly surprised.

I was excited to see you took the autotrain. We will be doing that in December. Can't wait to see the rest of the trip.

I love the idea of the train. We looked into a few years back but our van is too big if I remember right or there were too many of us. Either way cool travel. I'm sure the kids loved that adventure!!

:pc:

Thanks for reading along everyone! I would absolutely recommend the auto train to anyone. It was relaxing and fun and the kids looked on the travel as part of the adventure instead of whining about when we were getting there. I loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat! Amtrak also offers a rewards program that lets you earn travel points for shopping at certain sites on the internet. I had enough points to get one person and the van free one way. It's totally worth looking into.

Haha that hurricane follows us too!

Always enjoy a pizza and Cobb salad at Wolfgang Puck Express. Thanks for bringing back a good memory.

Dory

Glad I could help. ^-^ I would go back to WPE just for that pizza.

We rode the Auto Train to my childhood visits to WDW in 1974 and 1977 and I still remember how much fun it was. We carried all our camping equipment in our station wagon. I wish there were more Auto Trains around the country.

Looking forward to more of your TR.

We rode the Auto Train to my childhood visits to WDW in 1974 and 1977 and I still remember how much fun it was. We carried all our camping equipment in our station wagon. I wish there were more Auto Trains around the country.

Looking forward to more of your TR.

Wow! I didn't realize the Auto Train had been around that long! I also wish there were auto trains to more parts of the country.

Thanks for joining in!

After lunch, a-shopping we did go.

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2401.jpg

This was the first recreated photo we did. Here it is in 2008.

DSC01734.jpg

And from now...

IMG_2408.jpg

Ali didn't do it in 2008, but decided she wanted to this time.

IMG_2410.jpg

Wil is a GINORMOUS Lego fan so we spent a lot of time in the Lego store.

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2418.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

We had purchased the water parks and more options on our passes so we headed next to Disney Quest.

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2432.jpg

We spent a nice afternoon in DQ playing games. Ali and I also did the Animation Academy, but I think it must be different than it is in DHS. At DQ they have you do it on a screen with a stylus and then at the end they want you to go buy your picture. We didn't buy them. And we never did get to do it in DHS. Another item for the "next time" list.

IMG_2435.jpg

But here's why I really love DQ. We are a family of gamers. We love electronics, video games, skee ball and all that kind of stuff. Wil is really good at all of it, but because of her neurological condition, Ali is not as coordinated and has difficulty. But she still loves to play. Alot of times she sees Wil play something and wants to play too, but it's too complicated so I try to steer her elsewhere. And I have to admit, sometimes I don't want to waste our tokens on a game I know she won't be able to play. But here at DQ, everything is "free" once you're inside, so Ali can play any game as many times as she wants. She doesn't care if it's difficult and she doesn't do as well as Wil, she just wants to play. So we had a great time running around to all the different games.

Once we finished, we headed out and caught a bus back to the Caribbean Beach.

Up next...

a lazy evening exploring the resort.

Great photos!

We have only been to Disney Quest a few times, and we never did the animation class there. I didn't realize they try to sell you your own drawing. At DHS, you draw on the paper they provide, and you get to keep your drawing. So, you are right about it being different.

You are right about how nice it is to not have to worry about tokens in DQ. I'm glad both of your children had a good time there. Do they still have the Pirates of the Carribbean game down on the first level? The last time we were there, it was new, and I wonder if it is still around.

TCD