There's gold in dem thar hills

That is absolutely beautiful! I hope you intend to post some more! My Mama said you don't look old enough to have a baby! :) Speaking of the baby...Absolutely adorable!

Thanks.

Tell mama that I am 36....and I hope to stay looking young for a while ;-)

I will post up a tr next week.

As for the new kid....I think we are going to keep him.

We went back to Gburg with thoughts of walking around and then having dinner, but it was an absolute zoo. So we bypassed main st and headed back to Townsend via the national park. Traffic headed back into town from Cade's Cove was backed up from downtown all of the way past the Sugarlands and nearly up to the top of the mtn at Laurel Falls.

Beautiful!!

Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful!!!!

Thanks!

Great photo - I miss those days with the kids in the back pack. Mainly because I was almost 20 years younger!, but also that time and age was so much fun.

Yep...I am loving it too.

Crazy! We have avoided all traffic so far. Heading into GB later today, so hopefully a lot of people are heading home before then.

I am completely anti traffic....I was glad to be going against it for the most part. I've never seen it so bad in the park. Although, Cade's Cove was not bad early this morning.

Beautiful trees, hikes and babies! I'm jealous. 8)

Thanks.

Alright, let's officially get this TR going.

I was thinking about something the other day while reading some of the great TR's here....I've never had a TR go over 10 pages. Sure, some posters (cough...TCD....cough ;-)) could do a TR on going to the grocery store and have it turn into 20 pages and 10,000 views.....so I think my goal is modest. If it doesn't I may just join a board dedicated to Universal Studios or something....

My wife and I are big fans of the GSMNP. We have been many times in the past. It used to be common for us to make 3 or 4 long weekend trips each year. The past 3 years have been a bit more lean. In fact, we didn't even go last year. Life, sports, other trips, etc tend to get in the way, but we wanted to turn that trend around this year.

When we head to the Smokys we usually either camp or stay in a cabin in Townsend. Townsend is nice and quiet, unlike the madhouse that is Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Some like that kind of scene, but we prefer a bit more laid back type of place. Sometimes, we do stay in Gburg when doing a quicky ski trip, though.

I called early in the week and secured a cabin at Tremont Outdoor Resort. Later on I was pointed to some bad reviews of the place, but luckily the bad reviews seemed unwarranted or the problems were corrected.

For this trip it would just be myself, DW, and DS 0.3. DD5 and DD6 would be staying at home, since they are going next weekend with my dad and his GF.

Friday morning we got the girls off to school, we loaded up the family truckster, and then hit the road.

We kicked it up I 59, to 75, then at Cleveland, TN I decided to take a scenic route up Hwy 411. It was a nice drive and soon we were in Townsend. As we got closer to the mtns I noticed an unusual haze in the sky. It looked like mist or light fog, but it should have been burned off by then. I would find out later what was up....more on that in a bit.

Check in at Tremont was very swift, and the staff were very nice also. I was prepared for rudeness after reading the online reviews.

We had a "standard cabin" for $100 a night. I thought this was a good deal, considering a crappy hotel in Gburg was $140. I failed to get a pic of the outside, but here is a "scan" of the brochure.

IMG_20121021_193004.jpg

Inside pics

IMG_20121019_202359.jpg

IMG_20121019_202412.jpg

IMG_20121019_202420.jpg

IMG_20121019_202443.jpg

After unpacking and resting for a bit we headed for one of my favorite restaurants....

http://www.bestitalian.com/

I can seriously hurt myself in this place.

I took it easy this time....spaghetti with meat sauce plus I only ate 7 of the big garlic rolls. :clint:

On the way into Gburg I snapped this one with the phone.

IMG_20121019_162102.jpg

Up next......Roaring Fork Nature Trail

That last pic is nice.

Thanks...I took the Nikon dslr this trip. Although, I still used my phone a lot too.

I love leaf pics... Fall is my favorite time of year ! Beautiful photos... and you have an adorable son !

Good...I have a ton of leaf pics ;-)......and Thanks for the compliments!

Back home and working on uploading pics to get this TR going.

Those who hate leaf pics should not click on this thread any more ;-)

DSC_9281.jpg

Looks like a painting!

Bring on the leaf pictures, loving it.

I wanted to do an update this morning, but my work computer has photobucket blocked! Boo on the IT dept.

This report and Dave's are both making me really hate that fact we had to cancel our fall trip to the Smokies.

We may try to get up that way over the Christmas break.

Sorry you had to cancel. Winter is just as pretty with all of the snow in the mtns.

Cute cabin, looking forward to reading more!

I was quite pleased with the little cabin. It reminded me of the "tiny houses" that are popular now.

Looks like a painting!

Bring on the leaf pictures, loving it.

Thanks....the evening light filtering down through the leaf canopy made the colors really pop.

Cool! I was afraid you were just gonna post the one pic and be done! I love Fall and foliage!

Don't worry....I'm not a one and done guy.

Post all the leaf pictures you want as long as I don't have to rake them!!!!!!!!!!

I am with you on that. I don't rake anymore...I just mow them into oblivion.