TCD's Pre-Halloween 2012 Trip Report

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of course, I was in my prime then! :)

Any parent that tells you they don't snatch their favorite candy from their kids' Halloween stash is either lying or is allergic to chocolate. And I only put that last choice there for Jen. My kids

Okay....i cant believe you didnt buy the fifteen shirts and am puzzled why you didnt ask daisy duke for directions to her favorite stores?

Thanks for the picture of the girl in the striped shorts.

You are welcome.

But, I'm not sure how old she was, so don't look too much.

The twins said I shouldn't have taken that photo.

It made me a creep.

Sorry, if I see that kind of thing, I'm taking a photo.

Plus, I am very discreet.

If you want to sell a bunch of shirts, put a limit on them.

Brilliant.

I didn't think about that.

I'm going back in a couple of weeks, you want me to get you five?

TCD

I guess this is why they won't serve alcohol in MK. They must be afraid the drunk guests will forget where they are and start tipping the guests dressed like this.

LOL.

There was a Halloween party in the MK that night, so I thought maybe this was a costume, but I don't think it was.

Why would anyone wear shorts like that to a theme park?

Why would anyone wear shorts like that anywhere?

I think you blinded me. Maybe that will come in handy when the GA/FL game is on.

You're welcome.

But you and I both know anything can happen in that game.

It is a huge game for both teams.

I am not over confident for my Gators.

It is going to be a good game. I predict a fight to the finish.

TCD

We left off with our brisk walk toward the new Fantasyland walls.

When they first started building these, I was confused by them.

I couldn't picture why they had these new walls stuck out in the walkway or what it would look like when it was finished.

Now that the construction walls are done, I see.

These new walls frame the entrance into the new area of Fantasyland which is known as the Enchanted Forest.

You enter through the big opening in the center:

FW101812030.jpg

Here, you will find Belle's cottage, the Be Our Guest Restaurant, Gaston's Tavern, a new Belle gift shop, the new Little Mermaid ride and Ariel's Grotto. All of this had been open every day in the days before our visit. We were looking forward to seeing it all.

The Dumbo ride used to be right around here. Now, there is a lot of wide open space, which is nice:

FW101812032.jpg

Here we are a little closer to the new walls. If you look near the center of the photo, you can see the Beast's castle off in the distance:

FW101812034.jpg

That is Pinnochio's Village Haus over there. It looks weird with all the open space in front of it- it used to kind of hidden:

FW101812035.jpg

Now we are walking through the walls- there is a sign there that says something about the soft opening of Fantasyland, but we are in too much of a hurry to stop and read some sign:

FW101812036.jpg

It turns out we should have read the sign- because it says that the dress rehearsal is not happening right now.

The new part of Fantasyland was not open today!

See, they have a rope and Castmembers stopping guests from going in:

FW101812037.jpg

But, we could see that there were people back there:

FW101812038.jpg

I looked for the most intelligent castmember in the lineup.

Which was no easy task.

I picked an older lady.

They have a hard time resisting my charm.

So, I chatted her up. Then I started asking her what was going on. She told me that the whole area had been closed off since she came in this morning because they were filiming something back there. I asked her what. She told me. It was Stacey. You know, from Channel 18? The Must Do's? That Stacey! I guess the New Fantasyland is going to make the Must Do's!

The people we saw back there were extras for the filming.

We could see that behind these planters they had set up tables and chairs, and they were probably going to feed the actors:

FW101812039.jpg

FW101812040.jpg

I didn't see it, but the girls said they saw The Beast in the crowd across the bridge:

IMG_7001.jpg

I asked my new girlfriend what the word on the street was as to when things would wrap up and if they might still open this all up to guests some time today.

She said she heard they would be opening up around 4 pm.

That was the best I could get out of her.

You know how it is with Castmembers- most of them are in the dark and they make up stuff when they don't know.

This lady seemed to know something, so we planned accordingly.

It wasn't even noon yet. I needed to get the camper set up. And we needed to eat lunch.

But, we wanted to check on something.

I wasn't sure if there was another entrance open to the new Fantasyland by the mermaid ride, so I suggested that we walk over there to see.

There wasn't.

But, we hadn't been in the new Storybook Circus gift shop.

So, we checked that out.

Some of the promotional signs for this new area had drawings of Humphrey the Bear on them. There was speculation about what his role might be in this new area. I guess he's the Mascot for the treat stand in the gift shop:

FW101812041.jpg

They check out terminals are in little train facades:

FW101812043.jpg

They have a big display case of baked treats:

FW101812044.jpg

I don't know who picked out the carpet in this area- but whoever it was deserves a TCD Real Man of Genius Award. It is cool looking, but it is off white, and already looks dirty:

FW101812045.jpg

FW101812046.jpg

They serve all kinds of food from the center area that this carpet surrounds. Like colorful slurpee-like drinks, and sticky candy apples:

FW101812048.jpg

I think tile would have been a much better choice.

I'll bet the carpet isn't here long.

This is a photo of some signs on the wall near one of the exits for the shop:

FW101812049.jpg

And this is a shot showing all the cool lighting in here:

FW101812050.jpg

Since we were in the area, we stopped next door at Pete's Silly Sideshow:

FW101812051.jpg

It's just a character meet and greet. It is nicely themed. And, you can meet two characters after waiting on one line. So that's a good deal. But, we decided not to spend time on this. The lines weren't bad, but we decided we would leave the MK and come back later.

On the way out, we followed a group of strolling musicians. They were really good:

FW101812052.jpg

I don't think I mentioned that we planned to attend the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party that night. They had slightly discounted tickets available on the Passholder website, so I had bought our tickets on line, and had to pick them up at the Will Call window. It's a good think I pre-purchased, as there was a sign posted at the ticket window announcing that tonight's party had sold out:

FW101812053.jpg

It seemed like it took me forever to pick up our tickets, but the time stamp on that photo says I took it at 12:31, and I took this next photo from the boat back to the Fort at 1:03 pm, so it didn't take all that long:

FW101812054.jpg

I was heading back to the Fort on my own, as the girls headed off to lunch at the Polynesian Resort.

I had some chips for lunch as I was setting up camp.

They had pulled pork nachos and asian noodles:

IMG_7004.jpg

IMG_7005.jpg

And,

of course,

Dole Whip:

IMG_7006.jpg

A few more photos from my boat ride . . .

The Fort shoreline:

FW101812057.jpg

FW101812058.jpg

Clementine's Beach:

FW101812059.jpg

You can't see them, but there is a new line of buoys set up in the lake over by the old cabin. I made a mental note to check on that later:

FW101812061.jpg

From here, I headed back to camp and got the camper set up.

As soon as all the work was done, and the AC was cranking, the girls magically appeared.

It was time for us to head back to the MK and try again to get in the new Fantasyland.

I'll save you the cliffhanger and let you know that it was open when we got there.

And, we experienced a lot of firsts that afternoon.

Which I will tell you all about in the next post.

TCD

I noticed that Humphrey the bear also had a presence at the Barn Stormer as a banner advertising "Bear Wrasslin'" as one of the amazing feats performed by the Great Goofini, as well as tiger juggling, riding a rocket and getting shot out of a cannon, if I remember correctly. Don't forget stunt plane piloting, which is now the basis of the Barn Stormer coaster. All of these stunts have a circus like banner around Storybook Circus and are quite funny, especially the tiger juggling one. Sorry I don't have pics. Fail me.

Nice update..... OK, you said no entrance near Little Mermaid....no entrance at all, or no entrance open??

Good question.

There is clearly going to be a path to and from the Storybook Circus area, but it is walled off still. For now, there is only the one way in and out of the new area. That helps them control who goes in and out, and my guess is that it will stay this way through all the previews. I think once it opens, then they will open the other end. The only reason they may not, though, is if they need constant access to the Mine Train construction area. If they do, then maybe that other end stays closed until the Mine Train is done or at least further along.

On this trip, we headed back to One Man's Dream in DHS to look at the big model again. There will definitely be a path all the way through with access on both ends (by Little Mermaid on one end and by Belle on the other) once it is fully complete.

The dole whip and pulled pork nachos should be on stacey's must dos!

Looking forward to the firsts and the first early morning exploration!

The firsts are on the way.

The first early morning won't be for a few more posts. The first day was long. We still have to go to the MNSSHP.

I noticed that Humphrey the bear also had a presence at the Barn Stormer as a banner advertising "Bear Wrasslin'" as one of the amazing feats performed by the Great Goofini, as well as tiger juggling, riding a rocket and getting shot out of a cannon, if I remember correctly. Don't forget stunt plane piloting, which is now the basis of the Barn Stormer coaster. All of these stunts have a circus like banner around Storybook Circus and are quite funny, especially the tiger juggling one. Sorry I don't have pics. Fail me.

I didn't see all of those Humphrey references. I will need to look some more. We didn't look around in the new Fastpass area- I'll bet there is some interesting detail in there.

Fail is right.

Bad job.

But I guess I have no room to talk, as I didn't even notice all that you did.

TCD

Darn. I just repacked my referee daisy dukes back in the camper.

The entrance to FL looks great!

I wonder if the carpet is meant to resemble canvas, like a circus tent? Kind of looks like it's tied together.

Great start. Sorry I'm a slacker. Nothing personal. :)

The camper was set-up, so we headed back to the MK.

It was a little after 4 when we got there, and we headed straight back to the new Fantasyland area.

This time, it looked like we were in luck!

That big open area that I admired this morning was full of strollers:

FW101812062.jpg

I am guessing this is just a temporary measure, but for now, they are not letting folks bring strollers back in to the new area- they have to be parked outside the gates.

Hooray for that!

I never realized how nice it is to be able to walk around without having to dodge strollers.

It looks like those ropes we saw this morning are down:

FW101812063.jpg

And this sign tells us that we are in business:

FW101812064.jpg

We were lucky enough to get a sneak peek at the Enchanted Tales with Belle attraction on our late September visit, so we bypassed that for now. This sign was not there when we visited a couple of weeks before:

IMG_7011.jpg

On some of the dates prior to today when they did their "Dress Rehearsals," they had the Be Our Guest restaurant open for tours. Not today. But, we were allowed to walk across the bridge to the entrance gates. This sign is on the bridge:

FW101812067.jpg

And this is the view walking over the bridge:

FW101812068.jpg

When we were here two weeks before, the waterfall was not working. Today it was:

FW101812069.jpg

IMG_7016.jpg

IMG_7017.jpg

Wow.

These are the doors to the restaurant:

IMG_7021.jpg

This shield is on the gate which closes off the bridge:

FW101812072.jpg

The gate was closed, and that was as far as we could go.,

One of the gargoyles:

FW101812073.jpg

From the bridge, we could look over and see the buildings in the new village:

FW101812074.jpg

They have a kind of fake looking blockage under the bridge-I am guessing that the water will continue to flow over to the new mine train ride once that is finished:

FW101812075.jpg

As we approach the new village area, the building straight ahead is the new Belle's gift shop. Make sure you notice the tall guy in the red shirt over to the left. That is Gaston himself:

FW101812076.jpg

The twins wanted to meet Gaston. But that is easier said than done. He doesn't stay in one place like other characters. He roams his village. With a trail of guests following him. That wasn't working so well. This is as close as we got to him:

IMG_7024.jpg

Here we are in the village, and here's a lady using her ipad as a camera. I see more and more of this on every visit:

FW101812077.jpg

This is the entrance to the tavern:

FW101812078.jpg

The Gaston statue:

IMG_7025.jpg

This is the plaque from the Gaston statue in front of the tavern, LOL! :

FW101812079.jpg

This tavern is unique.

It has a very limited menu.

I thought I took a photo of it.

But, I can't locate the photo at the moment.

So, I'll tell you that they feature a pork shank, which is like a turkey leg, but it's pork.

And cinnamon rolls like they have on Main Street.

Odd combination.

But, the main attraction is something they call LeFrou's Brew.

LeFrou is Gaston's little sidekick from the movie.

This is Disney's answer to Universal Studio's Butter Beer.

An expensive novelty drink that the suckers guests will pay a premium price to drink.

The brew in the souvenir mug costs around ten bucks with tax.

For a glorified slurpee.

Who in their right mind would buy one of those?

We bought two.

And a pork shank.

When in Rome.

Here's the ridiculously expensive mug:

IMG_7030.jpg

It even has a Hidden Mickey on it.

Do you see it?

In case you are wondering about what a pork shank looks like, this is it:

FW101812080.jpg

I guess that it's a pig's leg.

I guess calling it a shank makes it sound less gross.

I am not so sure about these pork shanks.

I will eat anything. But, they are greasy. And salty.

I'm not sure the average guest is going to like these.

Time will tell.

For now, we raise a toast to our first visit to Gaston's Tavern:

FW101812081.jpg

Twin #1 is a huge fan of LeFrou's Brew:

FW101812083.jpg

A toast by Gaston's fake fireplace:

FW101812086.jpg

FW101812087.jpg

A portrait of the owner of this fine establishment:

FW101812088.jpg

Some of the wall art:

FW101812089.jpg

We went caveman on that pork shank:

FW101812092.jpg

FW101812093.jpg

Personally, I liked the pork shank better than a turkey leg.

But, it was really greasy.

I am not sure who is going to eat one of these- it's not really a meal- just a big hunk of pork on a bone. I think it was $7. That was a lot of meat for $7. So, if you can handle a little grease, or actually a lot of grease, these things are a pretty good deal. I think they have way more edible meat than a trurkey leg.

The LeFrou's Brew was interesting. It is the consistency of a Slurpee or Icee. The main ingredient is apple juice, but there are other flavors in it like mango and a hint of marshmallow. The girls liked it. I did too. But not the price. You can get one without the mug for $4. I predict Disney will make a fortune off of this stuff.

That brings us to our photo limit.

Next up, I wash the grease off my hands, and we head deeper into the Enchanted Forest.

To the land of mermaids.

TCD

Darn. I just repacked my referee daisy dukes back in the camper.

The entrance to FL looks great!

I wonder if the carpet is meant to resemble canvas, like a circus tent? Kind of looks like it's tied together.

Great start. Sorry I'm a slacker. Nothing personal. :)

I agree with you about that carpet- it is definitely supposed to look like stitched together canvas. It is really cool, and almost looks 3D. But, that off-white color doesn't stand a chance in a place where they are serving food and drinks.

I just realized that once again, just as a TCD report was getting underway, I was going out of communications (though this time I don't mind so much). I do have a knack for it ....

The thought of all that catching up is somewhat intimidating though.....

Are you leaving on your cruise soon?

This thing should be well underway by then. I'm sure you will be able to catch up with the rest when you get back.

I can't wait to see the changes to FL in person. Less than 12 days...

Cool! The whole thing is supposed to be soft opened by November 19th.

yeah, they should really serve sides with that pork shank and make it a meal

Agreed. The thought has already crossed my mind that it would be a good thing to bring back to the camper, pull the pork off of it, slap on some BBQ sauce, and make a bunch of pulled pork sandwiches. You could easily make four or more sandwiches with all that meat.

TCD

Captain America?

My tribute to all the servicemen and servicewomen who are stationed overseas right now.

You can't see them, but there is a new line of buoys set up in the lake over by the old cabin. I made a mental note to check on that later:

FW101812061.jpg

I really hope you kept that mental note. I'm curious to see, what you think about that area.

FW101812080.jpg

I guess that it's a pig's leg.

We went caveman on that pork shank:

FW101812092.jpg

FW101812093.jpg

Personally, I liked the pork shank better than a turkey leg.

But, it was really greasy.

That looks good! I want.

Sniff, Sniff, your family does me proud puttin a hurtin on that shank!

And I forgot to add. I would pay extra if I was given a non stroller lane within the parks. seriously.

If Disney can think about charging extra for special fast passes, maybe they can do like the Fidelity commercials and give non stroller special lanes.....

LaPew's brew or whatever they call it is just a Butter Beer ripoff.

I'm in! Just got caught up.

First, I'm sad you won't be there for Halloween this year. :(

Secondly, as soon as I saw those shorts I knew they looked familiar. Maybe this will bring some memories back for some folks!

61WeUGHZeQL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

tumblr_ma6paiw1HP1qada1vo1_500.jpg

Fashions always come back around!

I will confess, I'm a closet fashion queen! LOL anyone who has seen me or pics of me knows that is a ridiculous statement. I will confess my secret here for all to see....

I am addicted to Project Runway! I know it is shocking. I have actually seen some of the designers make shorts similar to the picture you posted.

Project%2BRunway%2BSeason%2B8%2BEpisode%2B4%2BApril%2BJohnston%2B2.jpg

Project%2BRunway%2BSeason%2B8%2BEpisode%2B4%2BApril%2BJohnston%2B3.jpg

Ready to see trip report!

ps. sorry for making others blind!

They have a kind of fake looking blockage under the bridge-I am guessing that the water will continue to flow over to the new mine train ride once that is finished:

FW101812075.jpg

That sure is a detailed temporary fake blockage.

The twins wanted to meet Gaston. But that is easier said than done. He doesn't stay in one place like other characters. He roams his village. With a trail of guests following him. That wasn't working so well. This is as close as we got to him:

IMG_7024.jpg

In the movie, three girls with big racks and low cut dresses follow Gaston around the village. Any sign of that?

The Gaston statue:

IMG_7025.jpg

Is that little dude checking out Gaston's junk or what?

I'm in! Just got caught up.

First, I'm sad you won't be there for Halloween this year. :(

Secondly, as soon as I saw those shorts I knew they looked familiar. Maybe this will bring some memories back for some folks!

61WeUGHZeQL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

tumblr_ma6paiw1HP1qada1vo1_500.jpg

Fashions always come back around!

I will confess, I'm a closet fashion queen! LOL anyone who has seen me or pics of me knows that is a ridiculous statement. I will confess my secret here for all to see....

I am addicted to Project Runway! I know it is shocking. I have actually seen some of the designers make shorts similar to the picture you posted.

Ready to see more!

Are those pics of you, Rita?