The Dream Turned Into An Adventure

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, man, I'm sorry that your first night was so rough.

We were on a cruise on the Magic many years ago that started out just like that. The first night was rough- the curtains in the theater were moving, and the actors on the stage visibly had trouble keeping their balance. That kind of thing will mess you up fast- your eyes need to see what is happening or you are going to get motion sickness.

I hope things settled down for you after the first night, but somehow, knowing there was a hurricane churning up the Atlantic, I have a bad feeling that things did not settle down.

TCD

hmmm... I can't answer that question at this time.

In honor of Jerry, and to keep your report moving while you bake Lou's pie, here's a photo of the TCD girls' first meeting with Jerry:

IMG_1897.jpg

TCD

I really couldn't believe his was the first face we saw on the ship

I will be patient Nicki. Enjoy your time at the Fort!

Thank you. Oh I already am...

Looking forward to this report. I've missed the recent cruise TR due inactivity so I'm ready for this one.

Can't wait for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

welcome aboard

We are going on the Dream at the end of Nov. (can't believe I can actually type that as I didn't think it would work out). I'll be reading your TR carefully. Although yesterday I was reading about what happened to the Fantasy during Sandy and I informed my family that if there was a hurricane in the area we were going to cancel. Told them to file that away in the back of their minds so they would be prepared. I'm already nervous about cruising since I've never been before.

good idea. One of the fiend's at the Tea Party was on the Fantasy. She said it was rough.

Have fun at the fort & we will try to wait patiently to see how this all turns out.

I will try to update as I can but you know how it is. I am right across the street from Doodle...

I'm looking forward to more. I thought about you and your family a few times during Sandy.

Thanks!

I will be going on the Fantasy at the end of November(right after Thanksgiving) and will be hoping for no hurricanes. The last cruise I went on we had port changes and everything worked out.

Good Luck!

Looks like a good time even with Sandy and forgotten shoes.

No artsy fartsy butt shots? FAIL! :P

There is a reason for that....

This video from the Fantasy is scary.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-865019

Wow.

Looking at the comments there on CNN, this has turned into a public relations nightmare for DCL.

I have always said I had no fear of cruising during hurricane season, as the cruise lines typically take their ships far away from the storms.

I doesn't look like that is what happened here.

TCD

Wow.

Looking at the comments there on CNN, this has turned into a public relations nightmare for DCL.

I have always said I had no fear of cruising during hurricane season, as the cruise lines typically take their ships far away from the storms.

I doesn't look like that is what happened here.

TCD

I believe this video was shot on Friday night. That would be when the Fantasy is heading back to Canaveral. So even though they could avoid the storm up to that point, the only way they could have avoided Sandy on Friday night would be to stay out at sea and postpone docking. I can't imagine them doing that unless they had no choice. Those cruise schedules seem to have zero flexibility in them when it comes to embark and debark times.

I believe this video was shot on Friday night. That would be when the Fantasy is heading back to Canaveral. So even though they could avoid the storm up to that point, the only way they could have avoided Sandy on Friday night would be to stay out at sea and postpone docking. I can't imagine them doing that unless they had no choice. Those cruise schedules seem to have zero flexibility in them when it comes to embark and debark times.

But, they have done that before.

Back in 2004/2005 when there were many hurricanes hitting Florida, there were several instances where DCL departed from schedule and went some place safe.

Doing so cost them a bunch of money, and also inconvenienced a bunch of passengers- both those stuck on the diverted ship and those waiting to start their cruises.

What happened here, I'm sure, is that DCL made a calculated decision to sail through the storm and stay on schedule. You know the old profits before people thing?

Not a smart move, and it's going to bite them in the butt big time.

TCD

But, they have done that before.

Back in 2004/2005 when there were many hurricanes hitting Florida, there were several instances where DCL departed from schedule and went some place safe.

Doing so cost them a bunch of money, and also inconvenienced a bunch of passengers- both those stuck on the diverted ship and those waiting to start their cruises.

What happened here, I'm sure, is that DCL made a calculated decision to sail through the storm and stay on schedule. You know the old profits before people thing?

Not a smart move, and it's going to bite them in the butt big time.

TCD

I believe I read somewhere as well the the weather they encountered was much stronger than was predicted.

I believe I read somewhere as well the the weather they encountered was much stronger than was predicted.

Yes, that is the official company word.

Which is total B.S.

In the past, they cleared way out of the way of any hurricanes.

From what I've heard, DCL is the only cruise line that elected to sail through the hurricane.

They didn't want to lose those cruise fares.

They're darned lucky the ship didn't sustain more damage and that no one was hurt

Greed.

Pure and simple.

That bone-headed decision will cost them more than the fares they saved.

TCD

DCL would probably be sued no matter what choice they made. (Sure looks like they are lining up now to flood the courts now!-no class action will be available to them as they signed those rights away when boarding) With that said, I would have diverted to safer waters even if they had some bs weather report that told them a sail through would be a safe calculated risk. Really? My nine year old could have looked at the weather radar and info and made a decision to divert. By the looks of the gift shop that boat was a rocking big time and that would have scared the hell out of me.

What will keep me from sailing is the poor decisions made by people running the show. Next time people may not be so lucky. I trust no one and if I don't have an exit strategy then my executive decision is to camp at the Fort and keep my feet on the ground. :clint:

My wife and I watched the video. Having never been on a cruise, if that was our first ever cruise or DCL experience (we have never cruised but are seriously considering a dcl cruise) 25% would be laughable. Just saying. I understand you sign on the dotted line and they may not owe you anything, but they either want your return business and your recommendation to other potential cruisers or they dont.

Now it's time for a PARTY!

Artsy Fartsy will pay for this one...

DSCN0215.JPG

Yes, I did make Funnel Vision BUT I could only get a picture of my backside....hmmm, not posting that one.

For now, i must go. I have some pies to make for the potluck. HEY LOU... I am making your pie after 18 months of teasing you.

woohoo! Looks like I checked in just in time! I'm in. And I love this picture of you my friend. If the imaginary husband truly existed I'd thank him for showing us all the fun Rebel-mom we love. :banana:

Oh, and about those pies... I'm going with Dave's rule on this one - if we don't see pictures of it (you baking pies, that is) it didn't happen... :raspberry:

This is good so far....I'm not yet desiring another cruise. Keep it up, and maybe throw in some vomit talk for me. It would help.

Stick around... I may or may not be able to help you with the vomit talk

This video from the Fantasy is scary. http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-865019
Wow! I don't think my seasick patch would have helped much. :panic:

ours was not as rough as the Fantasy. I am so happy about that.

Glad the weather wasn't nicer, but enjoy the Fort!

Fort weather is nice if just a tad cold.

Have fun at the Fort. Wish we could be there!! And I can't wait to hear more about your cruise!

We are having fun.

Well that does it for me. Never cruising again. Can't wait to hear the rest of this report!!!! Laura

just pay the extra for non-hurricane season

Wow. Looking at the comments there on CNN, this has turned into a public relations nightmare for DCL. I have always said I had no fear of cruising during hurricane season, as the cruise lines typically take their ships far away from the storms. I doesn't look like that is what happened here. TCD

Honestly what did they think would happen...

But, they have done that before. Back in 2004/2005 when there were many hurricanes hitting Florida, there were several instances where DCL departed from schedule and went some place safe. Doing so cost them a bunch of money, and also inconvenienced a bunch of passengers- both those stuck on the diverted ship and those waiting to start their cruises. What happened here, I'm sure, is that DCL made a calculated decision to sail through the storm and stay on schedule. You know the old profits before people thing? Not a smart move, and it's going to bite them in the butt big time. TCD

Yes, that is the official company word.

Which is total B.S.

In the past, they cleared way out of the way of any hurricanes.

From what I've heard, DCL is the only cruise line that elected to sail through the hurricane.

They didn't want to lose those cruise fares.

They're darned lucky the ship didn't sustain more damage and that no one was hurt

Greed.

Pure and simple.

That bone-headed decision will cost them more than the fares they saved.

TCD

We had fun but honestly I believe Disney should have cancelled our cruise or rescheduled us. They certainly should have offered us a refund on our cruise price not a 25% discount on a future cruise I don't even want to think about in the next year.

As for the Fantasy, from what I have heard that was just plan stupid on their part. Bus the people from Canaveral to other Florida Port City... let's not forget your staff members as well as the guests....

I am excited to read your report, even if only to learn if you survived! LOL

Thanks for the pictures and taking time to share your expreiences!

Thanks for joining along. Updates will be sporatic

DCL would probably be sued no matter what choice they made. (Sure looks like they are lining up now to flood the courts now!-no class action will be available to them as they signed those rights away when boarding) With that said, I would have diverted to safer waters even if they had some bs weather report that told them a sail through would be a safe calculated risk. Really? My nine year old could have looked at the weather radar and info and made a decision to divert. By the looks of the gift shop that boat was a rocking big time and that would have scared the hell out of me.

What will keep me from sailing is the poor decisions made by people running the show. Next time people may not be so lucky. I trust no one and if I don't have an exit strategy then my executive decision is to camp at the Fort and keep my feet on the ground. :clint:

That's a pretty solid Plan B!

:thumbsup2:

My wife and I watched the video. Having never been on a cruise, if that was our first ever cruise or DCL experience (we have never cruised but are seriously considering a dcl cruise) 25% would be laughable. Just saying. I understand you sign on the dotted line and they may not owe you anything, but they either want your return business and your recommendation to other potential cruisers or they dont.

I like the Fort plan the best plus I get a heck of a better deal time vs cost at the Fort.

woohoo! Looks like I checked in just in time! I'm in. And I love this picture of you my friend. If the imaginary husband truly existed I'd thank him for showing us all the fun Rebel-mom we love. :banana:

Oh, and about those pies... I'm going with Dave's rule on this one - if we don't see pictures of it (you baking pies, that is) it didn't happen... :raspberry:

so if they don't turn out good, I didn't make them

I've been on a Carnival cruise ship with hurricanes nearby. The ship gave out Bonine to those who needed it. It helped a lot! I look forward to reading more of your TR!

thanks for joining

Fort weather is nice if just a tad cold.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Until you quoted my prior post, I didn't realize I typed wrong.

It should have said:

SORRY the the weather wasn't nicer, but enjoy the Fort!

:beathorse: :beathorse: :beathorse:

:flush2: