The Dream Turned Into An Adventure

As many of you know we moved our Surprise cruise on Disney's Dream to preceded our Surprise Halloween at the Fort. We decided to do this with just 3 weeks to spare. This gave us three weeks to buy some clothes that made us look, well, something other than the overly casual fulltiming family that we are. In other words, dress up shoes that aren't made by Birkenstock or have five toes either sticking out or waggling. Now this had mixed results because it was to be a surprise for the kids. Now have any of you ever tried packing for a cruise, trying to keep it a secret in a 29 x 8.5 ft space and still get everything you need packed? I don't recommend it... just saying.

The surprise worked. The kids literally didn't know until we pulled up and started unloading the suitcases from the TT. This TR comes with the usual lack of children pictures. So if you want to stop reading, it won't hurt my feelings BUT this will not be your typical cruise TR..... I also am pretty sure I hold a new FF record on the Aqua Duck. It's not a good one.

With all that said let's get started.... First thing to know, that heifer Sandy changed our itinerary before we even left port. We lost Castaway Cay. True we were bummed but this was a Disney Cruise and we were going to make the best of it. And that my fiends is what we did.....

DSCN0139.JPG

DSCN0156.JPG

Waiting to board, we were group #18. Just ask Doodle.....

579301_185765601560474_2037967783_n.jpg

DSCN0154.JPG

Waiting to get our picture taken before boarding. It was at this point that I realized my son had changed out of his Crocs (beach/swimming pool shoes) and back into his tennis shoes. It was also about the time I realized that I had not packed anyone else's tennis shoes. This was just the start of realizing things that we had forgotten to pack or forgotten we'd packed.

DSCN0164.JPG

Does anyone recognize this guy? He announced us.

DSCN0167.JPG

Chandelier Shot -

DSCN0168.JPG

DSCN0169.JPG

Water in the Duck.... enjoy it.

269429_185804511556583_373721277_n.jpg

Even though we packed our swim suits we opted not to change into them until we got to our stateroom. The reason being that we had some electronics that we did not want to leave in the RV at Port Canaveral for three days. Two adults + two kids = everyone gets to ride the Aqua Duck at the same time. So while we waited for our state room we check out the Oceaneer's Club. Sorry most of the pics didn't come out very well as I was still learning the new camera, as TCD would say a FAIL.

DSCN0187.JPG

DSCN0193.JPG

DSCN0203.JPG

On board and chillin on the deck.

267656_185802641556770_969312212_n.jpg

At this point, our state room was ready. We headed down and checked into the stateroom. We had almost decided not to do swimsuits our first day but we still had 4 hours till the Sail A Way party. We quickly changed and headed up to deck 11 and this turned out to be a really good choice. We walked on the Aqua Duck for the first ride and then got in line for a 15-20 minute wait for the second. Suddenly the line had tripled with a 60 minute wait time. We decided to head down, shower (4 people x 1 shower), and get ready for the deck party and dinner.

When next I get the chance we will pick it up with the bye bye sweet unmoving land Party.....

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry your itinerary changed.

I'm in lets hear it/ see it/ live it!!

:suspense:

hang in there... it might not be the last time

Heck, Nicki there is hardly anyone left out here to comment...everyone is at the Fort! lol

I can't wait to hear all about it!

yes well they have already heard the story so this one is for you all of the fiends stuck at home

Great start. I'm not sure what I would do on a cruise... I notoriously forget to pack things. I got tense just thinking about it!

my advice pay the extra and skip the hurricane season

Looking forward to reading more about your dream adventure!

you guys are gonna need some patience as the updates might be sporadic

I have two pies to make today for the pot luck, a golf course proshop to find, a letter to right and a MNSSHP to attend today

I'm in! Hoping you got to enjoy it even with the storm and forgotten clothes.

It's all in how you look at it and frankly, we were on the Dream. The fantasy....now their last day was more than a bit scary

enjoying the report, looking forward to more.

as I took almost 400 pictures just on the camera.... there will be more

Well I guess my wife's motto on packing did not work for what you forgot " There's always a Walmart incase we forgot something" looking forward to more of your cruise.

in this case, their was a gift shop... but at least they took the unused sandals back

I am in. Sorry Sandy changed your itinerary.

Stuff happens and she certainly made it interesting....

Now it's time for a PARTY! The sail away party. I kinda wanted to get on the Funnel Vision but for some reason we started watching from the railing on Deck 12. That would not last. Artsy Fartsy now has the camera...

Under the Duck.....

DSCN0208.JPG

The imaginary daughter wanted to hit the deck and boogy and the imaginary son did not. I took baby girl down for the party but it wasn't long till the boy decided to join us so both of the guys joined us on the deck.

DSCN0210.JPG

Somebody really should rescue poor Donald...

DSCN0211.JPG

Artsy Fartsy will pay for this one...

DSCN0215.JPG

Yes, I did make Funnel Vision BUT I could only get a picture of my backside....hmmm, not posting that one.

We are moving....

DSCN0220.JPG

Artsy Fartsy playing around with the new water proof (now that's funny) camera that we bought especially for the cruise.

DSCN0221.JPG

Our home for the previous 1.5 weeks...

DSCN0229.JPG

We were those people just a few days ago when the Fantasy sailed...

DSCN0228.JPG

Two days before their was actually a beach here (cue forbidding music)

DSCN0231.JPG

Once we rounded that pier the cell phones got put away, Facebook was silence

DSCN0233.JPG

One more beach shot

DSCN0234.JPG

At this point the party is done and land is left way behind so we headed down to our stateroom to drop off our cell phones and get ready for our show. We had second seating dinner so it was show first then food. First up, the Golden Mickey's.

DSCN0239.JPG

It was good and my kids had to take some of the confetti home. I do have one small complaint about the layout of the boat. Why did you put the theaters in the front of the boat? Our first day at sea, just a bit hungry, the stage curtains are more than visibly swaying AND it feels like you ridding Dumbo with a spastic lever moving child (imagine up for two seconds & down for one... repeat, repeat, repeat for an hour). It is safe to say that I arrived at

DSCN0434.JPG

feeling just a bit out of sorts. We'd stocked up on Dramamine and were all wearing the sea bands by this point.

Random table shot...

DSCN0243.JPG

We meet our serving team Made (mod a) and Carlos. How is it that you get so attached to these people? Welll, we did.

At our table,

DSCN0245.JPG

Yum... at least I think it was.

DSCN0246.JPG

DSCN0247.JPG

Now to all you pood forn fans, I had every intention of taking tons of pictures. However, at this point the boat was a rocking and my stomach was really knocking. I ordered a salad, the butternut squash soup, and the steak with white rice. I ate the salad, took two spoonfulls of the soup, managed to eat all the rice and maybe the steak. I think I ordered desert but before Made could deliver it I needed to leave. I don't actually remember much from that dinner specifically. The dramamine had made me out of it.....

When I returned alone, so the rest of the family could enjoy desert, to the stateroom I found this -

DSCN0237.JPG

I know it's a swan and a good one but it makes me think of a Cobra for some reason.

For now, i must go. I have some pies to make for the potluck. HEY LOU... I am making your pie after 18 months of teasing you.

Does anyone recognize this guy? He announced us.

DSCN0167.JPG

Are you kidding me?

That is JERRY!!!

The TCD twins and oldest DD and her BFF will be most impressed when I show them this photo.

Plus Jerry's contract was supposed to be up some time in September, so him being there means he re-upped.

You are off to a great start.

I can't believe that a late October cruise got disrupted by a hurricane.

I want to read all about it.

The title to this TR could easily have been The Dream Turns into a Nightmare. Since that isn't the title, I am guessing that you went with the flow. Good for you.

TCD

I am looking forward to the continuation of this report! But if I don't comment for a few days, you'll know I had to look away for fear that your trip report would cost be several thousand dollars. It's happened before.

You know, I don't think my trip will do that but one can hope

I'm here too. Sounds like it will be an interesting TR.

Very different than most Cruise TRs

Are you kidding me?

That is JERRY!!!

The TCD twins and oldest DD and her BFF will be most impressed when I show them this photo.

Plus Jerry's contract was supposed to be up some time in September, so him being there means he re-upped.

You are off to a great start.

I can't believe that a late October cruise got disrupted by a hurricane.

I want to read all about it.

The title to this TR could easily have been The Dream Turns into a Nightmare. Since that isn't the title, I am guessing that you went with the flow. Good for you.

TCD

I thought Jerry was going to be a good omen. I think I scared him with the photo but I didn't have time to explain why I was snapping his photo.

We did indeed go with the flow and I quickly discarded the above mentioned title because I want to be able to remember the fun and laugh at the unfun so everyone needs to keep that in mind....

Sorry about the loss of Castaway Cay. Something tells me your clan still had a great time making the best of it!

We did indeed but as mentioned before you guys are gonna have to wait a bit. I am at the Fort so updates will be sporadic and I need to cook a certain busman his promised apple pie. Anyone coming to the potluck, I am making two of them......

Ahh, man, I'm sorry that your first night was so rough.

We were on a cruise on the Magic many years ago that started out just like that. The first night was rough- the curtains in the theater were moving, and the actors on the stage visibly had trouble keeping their balance. That kind of thing will mess you up fast- your eyes need to see what is happening or you are going to get motion sickness.

I hope things settled down for you after the first night, but somehow, knowing there was a hurricane churning up the Atlantic, I have a bad feeling that things did not settle down.

TCD

I thought Jerry was going to be a good omen. I think I scared him with the photo but I didn't have time to explain why I was snapping his photo.

We did indeed go with the flow and I quickly discarded the above mentioned title because I want to be able to remember the fun and laugh at the unfun so everyone needs to keep that in mind....

In honor of Jerry, and to keep your report moving while you bake Lou's pie, here's a photo of the TCD girls' first meeting with Jerry:

IMG_1897.jpg

TCD

We are going on the Dream at the end of Nov. (can't believe I can actually type that as I didn't think it would work out). I'll be reading your TR carefully. Although yesterday I was reading about what happened to the Fantasy during Sandy and I informed my family that if there was a hurricane in the area we were going to cancel. Told them to file that away in the back of their minds so they would be prepared. I'm already nervous about cruising since I've never been before.