First Trip to FW!

My family (wife along with our 3 and 1-year-old) spent the week of 11/11-11/18 at the Fort tent camping in the 2000 loop. It was great! It was our first time at FW. We did go to Disney in 2011 with our daughter, but stayed off property.

We've been camping since we met, and started with tenting, bought a pop-up, and more recently bought a TT. Because our kids are so young, driving from PA was out of the question. We still wanted to camp (we visited FW in 2011 and decided then and there the next trip would be a camping vacation), so we took the Auto Train and brought everything with us that way.

Everything was great and as we expected after doing our homework prior to the trip. A few things did annoy us and I wanted to share, to see what others think:

- Analog cable disappeared around the 14th. I understand this was Direct TV's doing. I called guest services and a very nice woman said they would try to bring a converter box to our site, but that never happened. We didn't really miss TV, but after getting the kids to sleep its nice to have it available before passing out for the day. I've since read that I probably could have gotten a box from the registration office at the front of the Fort.

- I was given a parking pass for the wrong person. I didn't notice it for a few days, and when I called I was told I could get a new one from the front office. I had a similar thing happen at another campground, and someone came out and brought us a new parking pass. As it happens we are runners, so I just jogged out front and got my pass. Would have been better service if the right pass could have been brought out.

- The takeout pizza at Trails End was awful! We got one on our last night, as it was late and we hadn't eaten. How difficult is it to make a decent tasting pizza, especially for the $14 they charge?? But the buffet is fantastic!

Compared to other campgrounds, I could tell management at FW is decentralized, which makes sense at Disney. But when things go wrong, like the Direct TV cable problem, then it seems that the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. What they could have done was post a notice at the comfort stations, and/or put memos on windshields maybe. And with the parking pass issue I had, when I called guest services my call went somewhere other than the registration office at FW itself. I think service would be a little better if everything was handled at FW with the staff there on-site.

OK enough complaining! We love FW and are already planning another trip, possibly early May 2013. It is a relaxing place to be, especially after a busy day at MK fighting the crowds. We took advantage of the pool and our daughter did some of the poolside craft activities. We also went to the Chip and Dale program three times. We miss it already!

Welcome Matt!!!!

Glad you enjoyed your Fort trip!!

Yeah, for some reason, even though they have an extensive network of phone numbers, 99% of them route to the general WDW phone call center. The best bet if you need to deal with the Fort Front Desk is to do it in person. It is generally a quick bus ride or car ride up to the front parking lot to speak to them.

I've heard mixed reports on the pizza at the Fort, however I have NEVER had a single slice of pizza anywhere on WDW property, so can't comment. (I can get pizza at home, I try to order unique food items when I'm at Disney!!)

Next time, try the Giddy Up And Go family meal from Trails End. Best Fried Chicken on the planet!!

I'm guessing you have an older style TV you brought then?? We have digital TVs, so hopefully we'll be able to pick up the channels without a converter. Once again, a quick stop into the Front Desk on the way back from a park one evening would have solved that.

Thanks for your trip report!!! Hope to see you reading and posting more!!!

Welcome Matt!!

Isn't FW addicting? LOL My family did the same thing...we're going back in February after our first trip in January this year! We're just gonna soak up the Fort atmosphere!

Thank you for your trip report. But one thing? Where's the pictures? :bf-birddancingsmiley:

Welcome!!!!!!!!!! What part of Pa. are you located, we have a group that camps a lot in the southeastern area and always have room for more, plus some of the Fiends here get together around Easter usually in the Gettysburg area but with next year being the 150th anniversary we might want to think of somewhere else.

Welcome to the Fiends your one of us now !!

As far as the cable box thing goes you are exactly right the right hand is not in contact with the left !!!

Your best bet like others have said go up to the front desk personally or you can call guest relations and have someone stop by your site, or make friendly with a ranger while they are doing their rounds stop em make small talk they can always get you what you need or get in touch with their radio !!

As far as eating take out from Trails the pizza is hit or miss we have had great and bad , but. The Giddy Up and Go Chicken is THE BEST, we get it a couple times a trip while we stay.

And as far as the parking pass we have never had a problem in the 30 plus years we have had up to 6 sites and sometimes the wrong pass was on the wrong site they have never said or did anything about it.

So glad you didn't let a few little things bother your family's magic, it's always best to BE the duck that lets the water run right off it's back.

Look forward to more of your obersrvatons those of us who have been going for so long become jaded and disappointed since we see some of the best things that used to be at the Fort disappear.

I like to hear first timers impressions !!

Itch

Thanks to all for the replies. I'll get pictures posted soon, my only free time with two little ones is later at night after they're asleep!

Disney sent me a survey today about our FW experience and I did relate all the comments that I brought up in my trip report. We're looking to book soon, probably for early May.

Dblr - I am located close to Harrisburg. We really like Gettysburg, mainly for Halloween camping but meeting some FW people around Easter could work out for us. Let me know.

Welcome, Matt!

Great job on the report. That was a great idea to use the Auto Train to visit for a tent camping trip.

And, you are absolutely right about the management at the Fort. They are only consistent in one area: doing stupid things. Despite that, the Fort is a great place, and I still enjoy it as often as I can. I just know that if there is an issue, it is not likely that it will be resolved by the management.

I hope you figure out how to post photos- I never get tired of Fort photos.

TCD

Welcome Matt!!! Thanks for sharing your trip experience. I agree with most if not all of your comments. I find the TE pizza to taste just like a frozen rising crust pizza from the grocery store. I have one suggestion for you if you ever order it again. It does seem to taste better after several beers. Not sure why, but it does. Throw a couple of Mai Tais into the mix and it becomes pretty much the best pizza ever. Don't ask me how I know that.

Matt,

Glad you had a wonderful time! :jumpforjoy

Welcome Matt!!! Thanks for sharing your trip experience. I agree with most if not all of your comments. I find the TE pizza to taste just like a frozen rising crust pizza from the grocery store. I have one suggestion for you if you ever order it again. It does seem to taste better after several beers. Not sure why, but it does. Throw a couple of Mai Tais into the mix and it becomes pretty much the best pizza ever. Don't ask me how I know that.

How do you know this?

:beer:

:clint:

I found out something interesting during our recent fort visit. I always figured the fort used some sort of frozen pizza that anyone of us can buy at your local Walmart. This time I noticed a Digorno truck at trails end so much hunch was right. Digorno is not the best frozen pizza but it amazes me that the fort can even make a $6 mediocre pizza terrible and sell it for twice as much as we could buy. I also found out that Digorno pizza is owned or under the nestle division hence the Nescafé crap coffee. My wife and I always comment how Disney for the most part puts their best foot forward but lately the food at the parks or rated $$$ is terrible.

I found out something interesting during our recent fort visit. I always figured the fort used some sort of frozen pizza that anyone of us can buy at your local Walmart. This time I noticed a Digorno truck at trails end so much hunch was right. Digorno is not the best frozen pizza but it amazes me that the fort can even make a $6 mediocre pizza terrible and sell it for twice as much as we could buy. I also found out that Digorno pizza is owned or under the nestle division hence the Nescafé crap coffee. My wife and I always comment how Disney for the most part puts their best foot forward but lately the food at the parks or rated $$$ is terrible.

Wow. If I didn't know you personally, I wouldn't believe this. Digorno pizza? Really? WTF? They have real pizza ovens and a whole kitchen there and they are using frozen pizzas? Sheez!

TCD

• 1 month later...

OK better late than never! Here is the one and only pic I have of our campsite. We just booked our next trip to FW, which is going to start April 18! This time we are renting a pop-up from Fort Camper Rental. We got a tremendous deal on airfare, and it made more sense to fly down and rent than to take the Auto Train from VA and bring the tent this time.

When the kids are old enough to handle the trip, we'll tow the TT down.

We are very stoked for this trip! We had originally planned on waiting until November, but good airfare deals can be hard to come by, especially at our little regional airport.

post-4385-0-86102800-1358352472_thumb.jp

Digorno pizza? Really? WTF? They have real pizza ovens and a whole kitchen there and they are using frozen pizzas? Sheez!

TCD

What, you taught that there was a little old Italian man in the back making pizzas from scratch?

As for the Fort's management being decentralized, it is.

Front office

Custodial

Housekeeping

Food and beverage

Retail sales

Recreation

Security

Transportation

While some on the list report directly to the Fort's management, some don't and are contracted.