TCD is Thankful for Thanksgiving @ The Fort 2012

That turkey sandwich looks amazing! There was quite a line there yesterday afternoon, so we didn't spend too much time in that area. I have a feeling that that will be the norm for a while. The good thing about that is it will keep the other areas less congested.

As for that damn Four Seasons: Have you seen it at night? We drove to Epcot last night and when coming back I took some night pics of the MK gate and

the Fort sign. I quit when I saw that eyesore all lit up! UGH!

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK- I cry uncle!!! I am from Missouri - but Oklahoma was close. Our family had been in Pizza Planet at DHS when we saw you (my daughter noticing your girls first), everyone had to go to the bathroom

Send your daughters on Operation Beefcake for me!

"I think I might know something about this secret Hidden Mickey you mention. On one of our recent visits to the new Little Mermaid ride, there was an off duty CM walking through the queue with us. S

Thanks for all the comments.

I need to respond to a few before we move on.

Anna is not impressed by that kids' menu.

And, I think Anna speaks for many children. I think this is something intentional. As I mentioned, the family in front of us in line bailed after they saw the kids menu. It's almost like they are trying to discourage families with young children from dining here. My kids were all pretty good eaters, but at WDW, they would go for chicken fingers nine times out of ten over seared Mahi Mahi. Seared Mahi Mahi? Really?

Darn. I just looked out my window towards WDW and i can see the cranes from my house. Walt would not approve.

Just kidding about both things. And Walt probably would approve, because I would be thinking about ways to get down there and remove the cranes.

I'm all for progress, but I can't remember not seeing a big old crane somewhere in my view of the MK or Fort.

In the meantime, there are acres and acres of empty space that they don't use. I don't think that was the plan.

Phew! Finally caught up!! You would think that a lady with a broken foot could sit all day and read TCD TR's. Not so in a house without wireless. I have to wait for a chance to sit at the computer and then I can only sit so long before I need to go back to bed to put my foot up. What a fiend will go through just to get a good TR fix. (And all TCD TR's are good ones!)

Shouldn't that be the un-beastly Beast? I have always been troubled that they continue to promote his beastly image after the transformation. OTOH, the unbeastly Beast was way too girly looking for my taste.

This is the first I heard of your broken foot.

How did you break it? I am really sorry to hear about it. I am hoping for a speedy recovery for you. It's hard to get around on a broken foot.

I agree with you about the Beast. It's one thing for Belle to marry an effminate man. That I can understand. After all, he's French. But, it's creepy to see her hanging out with a Beast.

Damn the cranes.

Damn the Four Seasons. I fart in their general direction.

Damn the lazy river.

Damn Snoopy. The Red Baron should have taken care of him on Christmas instead of letting him off the hook.

That's a good list.

The only addition I suggest is Damn the dam fence.

Are those seasonal Farts?

Winter Fart

Spring Fart

Summer Fart

Fall Fart

I wasnt thinking along those lines but now that you mention it i will fart in the Four Seasons direction during all four seasons....if given the opportunity.

You da man, you da man.

Are y'all finished?

I sure hope so.

Great updates! Sounds like your impression of BOG at lunch was on target with ours. I agree, as a CS it's the best value in the MK for what you get. And I really like the fact that you don't have to eat with styrofoam and plastic there and also get cleaned up after.

Which brings up a question -- do you tip or not tip there? We did because the server brought our food and cleaned up. But I'll bet that most people won't since it's a CS.

Wow. I never thought to leave a tip. That is a good question. While they do run the food out to your table, you are on your own as far as getting drinks, napkins, silverware, etc.

If I did leave a tip, it is highly unlikely that the person who ran out my food would receive it.

I haven't seen this issue discussed anywhere else, so it is something that I would like to hear others' opinions on.

Someone has been watching Monty Python... :rofl2: :rofl3: .. And as a fiend I approve !

I'm not a big fan. It never was my cup of tea.

I should give it another try, as it seems to be something a lot of Fiends like.

:wave1:

It looks pretty early in that photo. I'm guessing if you'd snooped around that window on the far right you would have heard a whole lot of snoring!

In some ways it seems like a whole more more than a mere 3 days ago that we were there (sniff)

Excellent TR as always. We did indeed transport something back from you for Nicole. It hasn't been unpacked yet (just started that oh-so-fun endeavor yesterday), but she'll get it. Promise.

We totally agree with you on lunch at BOG. Totally worth it. I had the Nicoise Salad and the tuna that it came with was cooked perfectly and DE-licious (pics to come)! We'll very definitely be back. Only took us about 15 minutes to get in also at around 1:15-ish. They told us they shut the line down at 2pm to start switching over for dinner.

Definitely did NOT love seeing the 4 Seasons every day on my walk out on the 300 canal with Brady. ...or from the Contemporary ...or from the monorail. I betcha those top few floors are going to go from considerably more $$ given they'll have a pretty darned good view of the castle and MK fireworks. Heck from up there I'm betting they'll see Epcot fireworks too!

Yes, that photo was taken early in the morning, way before your gang rises.

So that Tuna was good at BOG? That is not something that was high on my list of things to try. But, I will give it a look the next time we're there.

Thanks for confirming when they stop the lunch seating. That is what I suspected, but I never saw it in writing anywhere. This is something to keep in mind. It looks like we timed our visit just right, and I may use the same strategy on future visits to avoid long waits there.

TCD

Not after I get done building a whole loop of THESE....my new DaveInTN Deluxe 4000 Loop Cabins! They are like Redneck DEELuxe Apartments in the Sky!

trailer+in+the+sky.jpg

That looks sweet.

You know, there are all kinds of fake photos on the internet, but this one looks so stupid I'll bet it's real.

Bobby says 4000 loop cabiners will not be able to share the amenities at the 3000 loop.

I've just about had it with Bobby. Why does he have to be so cheap? I think Dave should buy a couple of lots over at Golden Oaks and put the 4000 loop over there. Bobby will be left with a lot of empty sites on the 3000 loop then. Serves him right.

Re. leprosy. It is curable, although difficult and it depends on what type of leprosy you have.

I don't know why I just quoted this. It just bore repeating.

Only in a TCD TR could a subject like this make sense. :D

I do not like butt ugly construction projects. I do, however, like the BOG. At least I believe I will like it when I finally get there.

Yeah, you never know what you might learn from a TCD TR. So, if there's a cure for leprosy, I don't have to refrain from chasing the armadillos! That's the best news I've heard all day.

Hoping that page 13 is still ok for bragging rights.

You're not superstitious are you?

I honestly tried to read and post sooner, but I am trying to get my girls semester finished up before December 17th. That means very limited time to read wonderful trip reports and post.

So, of course most of what I have thought to comment about has vanished out of my mind.

I really should take notes.

Page 13?

Yes, you get bragging rights!

It's never too late to join in.

Did you hear me lady from Oklahoma?

You still have time.

Now would be good.

Great updates. Can't wait to go to BOG! My DD is going to love it! (So am I)

Thanks. I would love to see the reaction of a young child to seeing and entering BOG for the first time.

I am sure you will love it.

That turkey sandwich looks amazing! There was quite a line there yesterday afternoon, so we didn't spend too much time in that area. I have a feeling that that will be the norm for a while. The good thing about that is it will keep the other areas less congested.

As for that damn Four Seasons: Have you seen it at night? We drove to Epcot last night and when coming back I took some night pics of the MK gate and

the Fort sign. I quit when I saw that eyesore all lit up! UGH!

I see you are up early this morning. Good job!

I think you're right about BOG, it is going to be packed for a while. We are still going to try for lunch there again. The strategy will be to go when it first opens, or right at closing.

Yes, I have seen that darned Four Seasons lit up at night. That's probably the part I hate most about it. I just know that we will see that glowing monstrosity through the trees at the Fort. And, just wait until it's done and it gets loaded up with the usual array of antennas and other crap that they put on top of tall buildings these days. Those things will undoubtedly have strobe lights on them. How will that look from the 500 loop? Awful.

Hey, Dave, do any of them come equipped with elevators?

Now there's a great idea!

Dave could probably add a rope and pulley and charge a premium for those trailers.

TCD

OK, ready to proceed.

It took me a while to hunt down a photo from the TCD archives which I needed for this post. You'll see that in a moment.

It was around 2:30 or so when we were done with lunch. As we ate, we made plans for what to do next. The MK was packed, and all the attractions had long waits. We finally agreed that I would run and get us Fastpasses for something, and we would watch the 3:00 parade, and then hopefully use the Fastpasses, and then add to the plan from there.

On one of our recent trips, we had enjoyed the 3:00 parade from a nice shady spot on Main Street. But there was no way that was happening today. Main Street was packed. We headed to Fronterland and found a nice spot near the Shootin' Gallery. I then hoofed it over to Big Thunder to get some FP's. But the return time for BTMRR FP's was already 6:30-7:30. We weren't going to be sticking around for that long, so that ended up being a fail. I returned to our spot empty handed.

We were set up by this stuff:

Thanksgiving2012337.jpg

The parade took a while to get to us. My camera says this photo was taken at 3:21. I think they intentionally drag out parades and shows on busy days. It keeps folks at the parade longer, which reduces wait times and crowding at the attractions:

Thanksgiving2012338.jpg

The car has a Christmas wreath on the back. Otherwise, there weren't any holiday touches that I noticed in this parade:

Thanksgiving2012339.jpg

We apparently were in a spot where the characters were supposed to interact with the crowds.

Duck:

Thanksgiving2012341.jpg

Goof:

Thanksgiving2012342.jpg

Woody and Jessie:

Thanksgiving2012343.jpg

Mickey and Minnie:

Thanksgiving2012345.jpg

For Norm:

Thanksgiving2012346.jpg

For Dave:

Thanksgiving2012347.jpg

Dave- your girlfriend told me to tell you "Hi," and that she hopes to see you soon.

Let me know if you want to borrow the spankula.

I have yet to figure out what is going on with this float. I see Aladdin and Dumbo, and I am guessing that the theme is supposed to be flying. But, then, why are the mice from The Rescuers on there? Did they fly? :

Thanksgiving2012348.jpg

Here's another odd combo- Peter Pan and Wendy with Alice and the Mad Hatter. Why? :

Thanksgiving2012349.jpg

I hope that's enough parade photos, because that's all I have.

I had told the girls the bad news about the Fastpasses, and they had come up with a Plan B.

They said let's go see Peter Pan.

Why, I asked?

They reminded me of a really odd scene that we had stumbled upon on one of our last visits. It seems that Peter Pan has an unadvertised meet and greet after the 3:00 parade. We found this out by accident when we walked by and saw this scene (this it the photo I had to hunt down) :

491.jpg

Do you see that girl with the Peter Pan doll?

She was really strange.

She also had a Peter Pan ribbon in her hair.

The girls wanted to see if she was there again.

So we went.

Peter was there.

But that weird girl wasn't.

The girls said lets get on line and get a photo with Peter.

I said if that's what you want to do.

So they did.

When the went to get in the line, a girl at the back said they could go ahead of her- she wanted to be last.

This is her:

Thanksgiving2012351.jpg

Thanksgiving2012352.jpg

I'm not sure you can take that all in. She has a Peter Pan ribbon in her hair. And a pin lanyard with just Peter Pan pins on it. And a sketch book. I wonder what's in that sketch book.

Oh, and there was one more thing.

She had a Peter Pan doll too:

Thanksgiving2012353.jpg

The line was taking forever, but there was no way any of us wanted to miss this.

The girls finally got their turn to meet Peter:

Thanksgiving2012355.jpg

IMG_8460.jpg

IMG_8463.jpg

IMG_8467.jpg

The CM playing Peter was a hoot.

The girls had a fun time meeting him.

And I was thankful that he had on green shorts over his tights.

Peter asked the girls who that was taking his picture. They said it was me and their older sister.

So Peter came over to say hello to my oldest DD:

IMG_8468.jpg

He told her he liked her shirt, and gave her a chop:

IMG_8469.jpg

So Peter's an FSU fan.

That figures.

Then came the part I was waiting for.

The girl with the doll and sketch book got her turn.

A few of her friends had joined up with her, and all of them got to talk to Peter.

Here she is showing Peter a sketch from her book:

IMG_8472.jpg

IMG_8471.jpg

Let's take a closer look at that sketch:

sketch.jpg

What The Fort is that?

She told Peter that she had sketched him, his buddy Terrence, and her, as dragons.

Dragons?

I looked around for the hidden cameras.

I was getting punked, right?

This wasn't real.

It couldn't be.

Only it was.

These girls stayed there and chatted with Peter.

It was really, really strange.

And, more than a little bit creepy.

Then Peter ran off.

And his groupies followed him.

Wow.

This group was coming from the direction where Peter had headed:

Thanksgiving2012358.jpg

Not long ago, there was a story about a girl who was devastated because she had shown up at WDW in a Tinkerbelle costume and had been denied admission. Yet, here were two girls walking around in costumes. How come?

After our Peter Pan experience, we discussed what to do next.

We all agreed that we should bail.

It was too crowded to do anything now.

We would go back to the Fort and enjoy that. We would eat dinner at the site, and then hit a park at night.

That sounded like a winner to me.

On the way out, the girls wanted to powder their noses, so we stopped at the restrooms near the first aid station, right outside of Casey's.

I never noticed this fountain before, but this is where I waited for them:

Thanksgiving2012360.jpg

The TCD girls (minus Mrs. TCD) :

IMG_8456.jpg

A self portrait by Twin #1 (she got all of us in that shot) :

IMG_8476.jpg

Then we headed out.

Next to City Hall, they have set up Candy Cane Garden:

Thanksgiving2012362.jpg

Thanksgiving2012363.jpg

I was kind of shocked when I saw that 34 days till Christmas displayed there.

But, you want to know something worse.

It's only 20 days from today!

Yikes!

Next up, we hop a boat to the Fort.

Oh, and one more thing. You know that girl with the Peter Pan doll and dragon sketch? We ran into her again later in the day. That was surreal. I'll tell you about that when we get there.

TCD

As much as I love TCD TR photos and commentary.... it will be my mission to find at least one useable bit of knowledge in each update.

There has been a lot of knowledge dropped so far but these are my two favorite and most useable bits of info:

1. Even though there is a cure for leprosy, keep a reasonable distance from the armadillos.

2. Keep an even further distance from Peter Pan groupies.

Who knew Peter Pan was so popular?

The Peter Pan Fan, kind of creepy. Hey whatever creams your Twinkie (RIP) I guess.

The Rescuers did fly with Orville.

rescuers.jpg

Still not sure if that fits in with the flying theme, but it's all I got. :)

That girl is a pretty good artist!

Yeah, she's good at drawing dragons with human faces.

Call me crazy, but that bothers me just a bit.

As much as I love TCD TR photos and commentary.... it will be my mission to find at least one useable bit of knowledge in each update.

There has been a lot of knowledge dropped so far but these are my two favorite and most useable bits of info:

1. Even though there is a cure for leprosy, keep a reasonable distance from the armadillos.

2. Keep an even further distance from Peter Pan groupies.

Good points.

The armadillos, they can sneak up on you.

But the Peter Pan groupies, you can see them coming. Just look for the grown women with Peter Pan dolls.

OK, so yeah... Peter Pan girl is creepy. What I got from that, though, is that Peter is a pro. Props to him for (apparently) handling that situation well.

Yes, Peter Pan didn't bat an eye. He asked his handler to hold the drawing for him, and then he booked it out of there before anyone knew what happened.

From what I have seen, though, this apparently is not unusual behavior around old Peter.

Who knew Peter Pan was so popular?

The Peter Pan Fan, kind of creepy. Hey whatever creams your Twinkie (RIP) I guess.

The Rescuers did fly with Orville.

rescuers.jpg

Still not sure if that fits in with the flying theme, but it's all I got. :)

LOL at the RIP. I see what you did there.

I think you're on to something with the mice and bird. I wonder if that bird is somewhere on the float? I will take a closer look the next time.

TCD

Pressing on.

I am writing about stuff that happened two weeks ago. I need to get this thing moving before I forget what happened. I think I'm going to need to start taking notes like my colleague, Mr. Troll.

We headed away from our afternoon at the MK via a boat launch to the Fort.

Even though it was only 4:30, the sun was sinking in the sky, and we only had about an hour and a half of daylight left. I sure miss the long days of summer. But not the heat.

A huge crowd of birds was hanging out on the breakwater. Many more than normal:

Thanksgiving2012364.jpg

I take this as an unfortunate sign that the Mayans were right. The world will be ending soon. Too bad.

The sun was heading down over the Grand Floridian:

Thanksgiving2012365.jpg

There wasn't a cloud in the sky:

Thanksgiving2012366.jpg

You can always tell how busy it is in the MK by the amount of boat traffic you see. Today, there was a lot:

Thanksgiving2012367.jpg

All of the boats were busy, even the Poly/GF boat, which usually isn't:

Thanksgiving2012370.jpg

There weren't any monorails sitting still on the tracks; they were all moving:

Thanksgiving2012371.jpg

A couple shots of the Grand Floridian:

Thanksgiving2012372.jpg

Thanksgiving2012374.jpg

The big ferries were in full swing:

Thanksgiving2012373.jpg

More boats:

Thanksgiving2012376.jpg

Here's a cool shot from the water bridge, with a monorail in the background:

Thanksgiving2012378.jpg

That's the remains of River Country over there:

Thanksgiving2012380.jpg

There was a kid in one of those little Water Mouse boats tailing right behind us. I didn't think those boats went very fast, but this kid was able to keep up:

Thanksgiving2012381.jpg

The Shoe Tree:

Thanksgiving2012382.jpg

Thanksgiving2012383.jpg

It currently has a very good crop, and there is still a tetherball up there for good measure:

shoes.jpg

This cart was parked next to ours. If the dishwasher guy hadn't already won the TCDRMOG award, this guy would have been in the running with his homemade removable windshield:

Thanksgiving2012385.jpg

Bunny!:

IMG_8480.jpg

We took advantage of the last of the daylight by looping.

I liked this guy's pile of firewood:

Thanksgiving2012387.jpg

In the course of the looping, I headed up to the front desk to check on a cable converter kit. I'm not sure if you have heard, but they did something to the cable at the Fort recently so only digital TV's work. I have been bringing an old analog TV to the Fort for years to set up in my screen room. It has always worked with the Fort's cable system, right up to and including our visit in October. But on this trip, nothing. If you want a signal on your analog TV, you have to use one of their cable boxes. So, I went to the front desk to get one.

On the way up to the front, we came across a firetruck and ambulance. Don't worry, it was just the firefighters playing frisbee:

Thanksgiving2012388.jpg

Thanksgiving2012389.jpg

Thanksgiving2012390.jpg

Even though we have had a touch of cool weather in Florida, the butterfly garden outside of the Reception Outpost still is looking great:

Thanksgiving2012391.jpg

The Reception Outpost has its Christmas decorations up:

Thanksgiving2012394.jpg

Thanksgiving2012395.jpg

We were lucky and scored one of the cable boxes. I posted photos of it on another thread. If anyone wants to see photos of it in this report, let me know.

Then it was back to our site.

But first, we looped around 1600 and 1700.

This guy was on 1600:

Thanksgiving2012396.jpg

Good for him.

Thirty years in a row at the Fort.

Way to Go!

From here, it was back to our site where I whipped up a batch of Pirate Jeff's Macoroni and Cheese.

And then we headed out again.

The next update will tell the rest of the story about Peter Pan Girl.

TCD

I am going to squeeze in one more little update today.

This will get us through Tuesday of our trip.

Which is night three of the five night trip.

Getting through Tuesday helps me see the end of this report.

We had visited the Mk for the afternoon on Tuesday, and then headed back to the Fort.

I whipped up some Pirate Jeff macaroni and cheese, and we ate like kings. Kings who eat Kraft macaroni and cheese with hot dogs in it.

We decided to head back to the MK.

We all wanted to see the castle show again.

And the oldest DD wanted to try the LeFou's brew at Gaston's Tavern.

So we went back.

It was still very crowded.

We headed to Dumbo.

I can't remember why.

But, here we are:

IMG_8482.jpg

IMG_8483.jpg

This is where we ran right into Peter Pan Girl.

It turns out she is a castmember.

And she works at Dumbo.

She opened the gate to let us on.

We all looked at each other at the same time when we saw her.

She seemed pretty normal in her CM uniform.

The TCD twins are now jealous of her.

She gets to spend all day stalking Peter Pan, and then ducks into the lockeroom and puts on her CM costume and works at Dumbo.

Sounds pretty perfect.

Who needs college?

But, they would really need to work on their dragon drawing skills.

Tonight, they had the walkway between Storybook Circus and the Enchanted Forest opened. We hadn't seen that before.

Here's a really blurry photo of it:

Thanksgiving2012404.jpg

It looks like the construction walls are going to stay up here, and that this will be opened and closed as needed to allow the construction traffic in and out.

We headed over to Gaston's Tavern so I could by my oldest a $9.00 (plus tax) goblet full of Apple Juice Slurpee. We added a couple of cinnamon rolls for good measure:

Thanksgiving2012405.jpg

We were here when the fireworks started, so we watched them from in front of Gaston's Tavern. It's weird to see the fireworks from behind the castle:

IMG_8490.jpg

The small fireworks go off right near the castle, but the big ones are shot off from somewhere even behind the tavern. They seem to be almost overhead here. You can see Gaston's statue on the left bottom of these photos:

IMG_8494.jpg

IMG_8495.jpg

That is the roof of the Bon Jour gift shop you see in this photo:

IMG_8496.jpg

Looking back at the castle:

IMG_8499.jpg

After the fireworks, we made our way to the front of the castle to find a place to watch the new projection show.

On the way, I asked the girls if we could duck in to see the hidden 20,000 Leagues sub in the Pooh Playground Tree. There is also a hidden sub in the new Ariel ride queue, and I wanted to look for this older one again.

Here it is:

Thanksgiving2012408.jpg

Here's a photo that adds some scale to it. Good thing there were no bats in the cave:

Thanksgiving2012409.jpg

From here, we headed over to the walkway in front of Casey's and we watched the show.

We then checked for card trading nerds, and struck out again.

So, we headed back to the Fort.

We did some late night looping, and that was it.

Next up is Wednesday.

And a lot more fun.

TCD

OK- I cry uncle!!!

I am from Missouri - but Oklahoma was close. Our family had been in Pizza Planet at DHS when we saw you (my daughter noticing your girls first), everyone had to go to the bathroom to confirm it. We just moved on after and laughed about the fact you were a Disney celeb to us. After we ate, we went to the lights (our first time and they were beautiful), and our daughter saw you guys again and for some reason, it just became funny. We didn't want you and your family to think we were stalking all of you, so I decided just to say something.

It was our first time at WDW during Thanksgiving, It was beautiful but crowded. We ate Thanksgiving dinner in BOG - it was awesome!

There you go - I responded! You can continue with your report now :laugh:

OK- I cry uncle!!!

I am from Missouri - but Oklahoma was close. Our family had been in Pizza Planet at DHS when we saw you (my daughter noticing your girls first), everyone had to go to the bathroom to confirm it. We just moved on after and laughed about the fact you were a Disney celeb to us. After we ate, we went to the lights (our first time and they were beautiful), and our daughter saw you guys again and for some reason, it just became funny. We didn't want you and your family to think we were stalking all of you, so I decided just to say something.

It was our first time at WDW during Thanksgiving, It was beautiful but crowded. We ate Thanksgiving dinner in BOG - it was awesome!

WELCOME happycampers!!!

OK- I cry uncle!!!

Yeay another Fiend! Welcome aboard!

You did sort of pick on Troll and I for taking notes. I can't speak for Norm but when I say I take notes, I "jot"

A typical days notes look like this:

6:00

breakfast

Carol

MK

beer

party at judys

bed by midnight.

Just keeps things in order. Otherwise I would mess up days or forget something. (might not be a bad idea for you ^-^)

As for the TV, even though ours are digital capable, I still had to reprogram them to find the digital channels. NBD, but glad I had read everyone else's issues. Who reads the check-in package anyhow?

HUBBA HUBBA @ the firefighters.

Happy that there were no bats in that cave. Or boogies in your nose.

OK- I cry uncle!!!

Welcome!!

I was reading this, and started LOL... really, so I had to read the Peter Pan bit to DH. I think you have a new fan. And he knows you're a Gator, so that means a lot. He's also convinced that CPPFG (Crazy Peter Pan Fan Girl) works at Disney just to stalk poor Peter. Can you imagine if he runs into her behind the scenes?????

OK- I cry uncle!!!

Welcome!!!! TCD gets bragging rights for being our #1 recruiter.

As we were going by your blow ups, didn't know it was yours or would have stopped, my 4 yr old DGD exclaimed " I know what that is, that is a GO GATOR. Guess she is planning on Florida for college.

There's still time to change her mind! :rofl2: