The Other Fort: Another MD Camping Adventure

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And this is one reason for our stash of Solo Cups and koozies.

In case anyone is interested, those Disney refillable mugs hold exactly one 12 oz beer. At least that's what I've heard. I wouldn't know from personal experience. TCD

We had a blast playing in the Fort part too. Did you go to the house that has all the memorabilia? That was pretty cool to read about the history of the Fort. We spent a lot of time at this section. Course we also managed to amble on over to the little snack stand for some ice cream :D

We've hit that snack bar often! Missed the museum, gotta go when it's just the wife and kids.

What a fun report! Fort DeSoto looks like a really great CG. It reminds me a little of Hunting Island, SC.

I love your sound system. Little Tykes lasts forever. We are also Dr Thunder drinkers. Viva Store Brands!

As great as this TR is so far, this nearly killed me....

Funniest TR moment EVAHHH! :lmao1: :heart:

Cool! Thanks. That's big company considering the TR's on the site. It was a lot funnier after it happened. You never really savor the moment whilst it occurs!

Looks good from here MD

Thanks!

I'm loving the report! How hard is it to book for non FL folks?

No, it's easy. You can book six months in advance online. We just get an extra month as a county resident. For instance, you can book up until June online. I can call or go in person and book July before it's available online, which would be next month.

Great pix. Keep them coming

Thanks, next installment has some interesting pix.

There were still lots of sites left, but the full open water views were taken up for the weekends. But there were still plenty of partial water views [screened by a tree or some low level foliage] It was good that ours was a mid-week visit.

Looking forward to more pics!

Cool! Thanks. That's big company considering the TR's on the site. It was a lot funnier after it happened. You never really savor the moment whilst it occurs!

Yes. You've hit the big time!

Quite right! It is never funny until the shame and humiliation have faded away. (Believe me, I have enough experiences to know!!) :))

:rofl2: They are mancapris.

:rofl2: Hahahaha!

Nice looking family ya got there MD!

I always try to protect myself from enemas too. ???

BTW, are those grey capri sweatpants you're wearing? :clint:

Very Nice. Thanks! I wouldn't expect that from you, all things considered. The truth of the matter is that I'm not a tall dude at 5'7"

:rofl2:

I think they are!

And MD is busting me for wearing Mom jeans?

TCD

You labeled them Mom Jeans! Just using the vernacular! Those shorts are fashionably sheared sweatpants, embroidered with a USF Bulls logo.

They are my favorite camping pants, and you'll see them in most of my TR's. What do you expect from a dude that wears a 29" length?

But, they are comfortable, as I'm sure you're mom jeans are!

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/mom-jeans/229048/

:rofl2: They are mancapris.

Nice!

But, they are comfortable, as I'm sure you're mom jeans are!

http://www.nbc.com/s...m-jeans/229048/

How did I never see that sketch before?

I just call my jeans Mom Jeans because thats what my disrespectful kids call them.

Thanks for the link, now I know that Mom Jeans come in capri length.

I need to get me some Mom Jeans capris.

TCD

The truth of the matter is that I'm not a tall dude at 5'7"

What do you expect from a dude that wears a 29" length?

You're preaching to the choir sweetie.

Try being 4'10" and find pants that fit. I have been know to buy capris that go to my ankles.

I need to get me some Mom Jeans capris.

TCD

Oh no, please don't.

The only thing I've seen funnier than meggings or jeggings occured on my last business trip to NYC. I saw a football-build, at least 6' 5" male African American walking down the street wearing a lime green leotard and matching tutu. I kept telling myself he was on Broadway. Or off Broadway. Or off-off Broadway.

geez……I take a couple of weeks off and you slap down a 5 pager!! Funny, I thought of you tonight while picking up beer at Publix, Magic Hat is on sale dude!!

hopefully I will have time to read it this weekend…….life is nuts right now…….

although I may just sacrifice some sleep to find out what all this talk about TCD in mom jeans is all about!!

The only thing I've seen funnier than meggings or jeggings occured on my last business trip to NYC. I saw a football-build, at least 6' 5" male African American walking down the street wearing a lime green leotard and matching tutu. I kept telling myself he was on Broadway. Or off Broadway. Or off-off Broadway.

Please let it be so... please let it be so. (keep repeating it so it will be true) Everyone knows lime green is soooooo out of fashion. ;D

MD,

I don't know how you should take this, but I don't see nothing wrong with those cool capris! :jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy

Thanks. I appeciate the support. I would have thought the purple ff shirt would have drawn everyone off the pants, but no... Buncha sickos around here!

Yikes. Lime Green, double Yikes!

Finally got to sit down and read!! Awesome report so far!!!!

Thanks. I've been enjoying yours as well!

geez……I take a couple of weeks off and you slap down a 5 pager!! Funny, I thought of you tonight while picking up beer at Publix, Magic Hat is on sale dude!!

hopefully I will have time to read it this weekend…….life is nuts right now…….

although I may just sacrifice some sleep to find out what all this talk about TCD in mom jeans is all about!!

Cool! I was wondering if you'd eventually be around! Did you pick up some Hat while it was on sale?

We went to Fort Desota on our way back from Disney in September. I really liked the park and enjoyed taken Maggie to the dog beach. We do not have a dog beach close by and she loves the water.

camper288.jpg

How cool. We didn't get to go to the dog beach. My truck was 2 cars deep and set-up as the washing-up area.

Day Three continued:

Music: Stones, all day

Drink: Nothing, just some empty cans!

Smell: Fresh sea air and old German Autos

At this point, I had just run up to the top of the fort by way of this long stairway.

I had to get this picture as part of this TR. For a little trip back in time.

20121110_134006.jpg

20121110_133901.jpg

Ya’ see Timmy, several years ago, MetalDad plied his skills as a full-on tantrum throwing lead singer of a metal band, back in my MetalHopeI’mNotADadYet days.

We took a photo on these very steps a mere 25 years ago.

MetalDad and the boys at Ft. DeSoto circa 1987… We’ll call this Hairway To Steven.

IMG_1695.jpg

IMAG0821.jpg

IMAG0822.jpg

Good days back then. Traveling around the south, kicking ass. Full of ideas and ideals...capricious youth!

From way up here, there’s a great view of the Gulf of Mexico.

See? No Oil!

20121110_133910.jpg

Either the lookout, or a gun turret!

20121110_133920.jpg

20121110_133930.jpg

The roof of the actual fort has sand and vegetation to fulfill its clandestine nature.

As a result of wind erosion, there is a mesh screen over the ground to keep it intact.

It looks weird, but it works. Here…

20121110_134234.jpg

As we made our way toward the other side of the fort, the ramp was blocked off.

And, I’m not a rule breaker! So I would never hop the Bob’s Barricade and amble down the zig-zag path down to the bottom. And, how’d my sister get down there so quick?

20121110_134330.jpg

The reason it was closed was a giant crack that zig-zagged the whole length of the walkway.

It literally looked like it was falling off the side of the slope.

Poor engineering whoever laid the concrete.

Back on our bikes, we headed down the path towards the north beach.

By this point I’m really starting to feel the effects of a cheap bike seat.

My old comfy seat was destroyed by polar bears, so I have a hand-me-down kid’s seat.

A new one’s on the list, but for now, I pretty much had to finish this ride whilst standing.

We got to the parking lot of the North Beach and Holy Farfegnugen!

The VWs!

And a freaking zillion of them!

None of them recognized me in my clothes, so, whew!

20121110_140425.jpg

20121110_140433.jpg

We came upon this guy that had a pretty cool vintage camper that he was getting ready to restore.

20121110_140454.jpg

We chatted with him for a bit.

This is a 1948 Spartan Mansion. So cool…

20121110_140538.jpg

20121110_140542.jpg

More VW’s. Some were restored, and some were blank canvas ready to roar back to life.

20121110_140858.jpg

20121110_140904.jpg

20121110_141658.jpg

20121110_141821.jpg

20121110_141826.jpg

20121110_142113.jpg

Time to head back. To my right, the Gulf of Mexico, to my left the entrance to Tampa Bay.

20121110_143242.jpg

My nephew and daughters.

20121110_143755.jpg

Old Glory from the other direction!

20121110_144952.jpg

We got back to the CG, and of course after all that exercise, had to get an ice cream.

On the back porch of the store, I peered over the railing to see a hammerhead shark swimming in the shallows.

Only in Florida!

20121110_150342.jpg

20121110_150351.jpg

Joe Fishbreath had a cast net, and pulled him in.

20121110_150856.jpg

That kid kept yelling “Kill it! Kill it!”

That’s how Dahmer started Dad!

The goils enjoying some Edy’s!

20121110_151308.jpg

From there, we pedaled back to the camper to check on the rest of the gang, get freshened up, and prepare for the evening’s activities.

BTW, I just read in the local paper about the Tampa Bay Lightning Staff camping out here this week. Their only complaint was "nosy raccoons!"