The Other Fort: Another MD Camping Adventure

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And this is one reason for our stash of Solo Cups and koozies.

In case anyone is interested, those Disney refillable mugs hold exactly one 12 oz beer. At least that's what I've heard. I wouldn't know from personal experience. TCD

Great update, MD!

You have a lot of great photos in there!

I love the hippie encampment VW photos! That Spartan is cool.

And LOL at Hairway to Steven! I still can't wrap my head around that.

Great update. Which long haired dude is you?

We are bringing our bikes this time. How long did it take you to get to the fort proper from the campground?

I love the ice cream faces.

MD is the one with the Ray Bans. He looks exactly the same. Minus the hair.

TCD

Who knew MD was a rock star? You're cool meter just shot through the roof!

Beautiful pictures of the beach.

I would give my left boob for that yellow VW convertible.

(OK, I'd give my right too, or that would look really strange)

• 3 weeks later...

Day Three & Four concluded:

Music: Stones, all day

Drink: Nothing, just some empty cans!

Smell: Fresh sea air and old German Autos

Seeing as I now have a Fort trip from New Year’s Eve, chock fulla fiends and such to document, I suppose I should finish this one up lest both of my readers wonder what happened.

We left off the last update from late Saturday afternoon.

We had just had a long bike ride, had ice cream, and saw a guy catch a hammerhead shark in a cast net.

By the way, Santa came through. I got a new Schwinn Pillow Top Gel-cushion seat for the old bike.

Fat bastard still didn’t bring me a camera, so you guys will continue to see everything in real perspective, or super-grainy zoom.

Anyway, back to the site, freshen up and back to the bike trail for mass on the beach.

Remember, this was a big catholic campout (in which we smuggled-in beer and battled coons by the light of the punch buggies in less than adequate vestments... page back if you’re confused.)

Now, MetalWife is a terrible cyclist.

You may recall in my 4th of July TR that she crashed into the bridge by the 1500 loop and tore open her knee.

Who can forget this image?

2012-07-07_14-25-16_441.jpg

It seemed funny at the time, but it took forever to heal, and still gives her pain now and again.

She says it’s because she’s from the city and never had much opportunity to ride bikes as a kid.

She always says “ride ahead… I’ll catch up!” And in this case, we were running late, the priest already started.

20121110_164937.jpg

And here she comes now!

20121110_172215.jpg

She was all flustered and covered in sand.

She’d fallen again, this time in a much softer LZ.

No damage this time.

After getting good with the Lord, we biked on back to camp.

Josie was ready for us to feed, water, walk, and marshmallow her.

20121110_173318.jpg

Another nice surprise was waiting at the site for us!

My niece!

20121110_174758.jpg

I’m her Godfather… Bet they regret that decision!

Getting the evening’s fire going.

20121110_174815.jpg

The more people show up, the bigger the circle gets, perhaps it’s time to consider two fires!

As dinner rolled around, I grilled up some steaks.

Discovered a new steak seasoning at ALDI, freaking amazing!

20121110_192242.jpg

We were leaving the next day, so I actually cooked everything we had.

We brought the hot pickles again. Hard to imagine, but they actually make beer better!

My view of the fire, with the red hot poker stick. I was ready for those raccoon-bastards now!

20121110_201353.jpg

By the way, I bought my mom one of these washtub buckets for a firepit as well.

We stayed with them for Christmas, and fired up to watch the boat parade.

My BIL brought over some old wood that he’d stored in the attic, molding and flooring scraps.

The wood burned so hot it was popping and cracking and jumped out of the pit.

I burned my Gander Mtn. slippers, a hole in my new Coleman chair, and we actually burned the bottom out of the pit.

I asked him how old the wood was.

He said he put it in the attic when he bought the house.

16 years ago!

He’s also the guy that lit his lawn on fire trying to kill weeds.

Safety!

Sisters in the smoke!

20121110_202009.jpg

20121110_202025.jpg

20121110_202240.jpg

We’ve been ‘smoring a bit differently lately.

Instead of traditional style with the graham cracker, we just use the giant marshmallows, pierce it, slide it a wedge of Hershey bar and roast.

The inside looks like this!

20121110_204628.jpg

We called it a night.

The next day was packing up and heading out day.

I was up early, guess who!

20121111_070129_zps2274771d.jpg

MetalWife and I were the first to start wiping it all down, rolling it all up, tucking, folding…

20121111_070301_zps53c5f7a2.jpg

Once we were loaded, wheel’s up and I was backing in to my driveway in about 45 minutes or so.

A quick breakfast and it was football time!

While there is no theme park or characters, no pool or bar, it is still one of my very favorite places to camp, and offers a great Florida-style camping experience.

New Year’s trip will be posted shortly.

I have to collect photos from four people.

Thanks for reading along.

See ya real soon!

We camp with a bunch of Catholics, too……and beer is a requirement. You know you go to a good Catholic Church when every event has plenty of beer. Gotta love those Knights!

Sorry to hear MW fell again. I have hurt both knees pretty badly a couple of times (believe it or not, one time from genuflecting and hitting the edge of a marble platform!) - both times it took forever to heal and I had occasional pain long after the incidents. It took a long time but they seem fine now, so hopefully hers will eventually.

Enjoyed this TR, but I always love your commentary. You could make a trip to Walgreens sound interesting. I look forward to your NYE TR!

Awesome report!

Great report!

Thanks for hanging in there on this one. It took a holiday break!

Cool. Thanks for finishing this one.

Looking forward to the next!

The first update is posted on the NYE trip!

Makes me even more excited for Summer to get here so I can get there.

Thanks for the TR.

That will be a great trip! We end up there occasionally in the summer bcuse it's a little easier to get a spot. And the proximity to one of the best beaches!

We camp with a bunch of Catholics, too……and beer is a requirement. You know you go to a good Catholic Church when every event has plenty of beer. Gotta love those Knights!

Sorry to hear MW fell again. I have hurt both knees pretty badly a couple of times (believe it or not, one time from genuflecting and hitting the edge of a marble platform!) - both times it took forever to heal and I had occasional pain long after the incidents. It took a long time but they seem fine now, so hopefully hers will eventually.

Enjoyed this TR, but I always love your commentary. You could make a trip to Walgreens sound interesting. I look forward to your NYE TR!

Thanks! You're in the NYE TR! I'm gonna try the Walgreen's TR, but I need to find something really absurd to shop for, gum won't do it. Yes, booze and catholic go hand in hand! Afterall, who made the first beer run? Well, wine anyway!

Bravo, MD!

Good job finishing strong!

Great report.

Great.

TCD

Why, thank you! Going to the RV show this weekend?

Enjoyed as always!

Your bro seems like my kind of guy...minus the arson tendencies.

We come from a long line of reckless people, and my sisters married gents that fit right in!

Good job buddy.

Can't wait for your next one!

Thank you for sharing. :yay:

Love the report! AND the rock band photos! ;D

Thanks all for checking it out, new one's posted.

Kim, I'm looking for a current photo of the band to compare, same guys, way different look! It's on the PC at home.