Behind the Seeds Tour at Epcot

Just wanted to give a heads-up.....we did this tour on our last trip, and it was fantastic! Also a great value, especially with the Disney Visa discount...I think the 3 of us went for about $45 total.

I'd read mixed reviews of the tour, and the consensus was that it all depends on your guide. Ours was fab-u-lous! She's an intern there and was so excited about what they were doing that she could have kept us there forever, talking about it. We learned a lot and got some great ideas for improving our garden at home this year.

If you're at all interested in gardening or just seeing what they're up to over there in The Land, it's a fun way to spend an hour!

Some photos from our tour....

Our guide, Mary, is an intern there. She's on her 2nd or 3rd career, and she's incredibly excited about what she's doing.

DSC_3422_zps4b52521c.jpg

DSC_3424_zps780356d4.jpg

Here, she's showing us how to pollinate flowers. If I'd known that last fall, I could have saved my pumpkins!

DSC_3426_zpsb740d847.jpg

DSC_3427_zps339e5575.jpg

Each intern has to do a project before leaving, and a former intern made this mold, which is used to grow Mickey-shaped cucumbers. We got to sample a cucumber grown there, and it was amazing! I don't like cucumbers, but I did like this one...it was very watery, with a light crisp flavor....almost fruity.

DSC_3430_zpscbb56312.jpg

DSC_3433_zps1e2cbd7d.jpg

Three people were selected to release ladybugs, part of their natural pest control program. The ladybugs are stored in the cold, so they're inactive at first. The instructions were to hold the vial of ladybugs in your hand, and by the time we reached the release point, they'd be anxious to come out. That's a fact! It didn't take long at all for them to warm up and start banging against the sides of the vial.

DSC_3429_zps595b51d9.jpg

The release

DSC_3435_zpscd8cbd94.jpg

And, they're off...

DSC_3438_zps28e2a6f7.jpg

DSC_3440_zps1b228eb8.jpg

A Mickey head pumpkin mold, designed by the same person who did the cucumber one

DSC_3441_zpsd22ada55.jpg

The red light is kind of annoying here, but we got up close with the gators

DSC_3442_zps5286a8e1.jpg

Saw a hidden Mickey between the gators and the tilapia

DSC_3444_zps32652533.jpg

And fed the tilapia

DSC_3446_zps3989fef5.jpg

DSC_3448_zpse0a8d682.jpg

The Miracle Fruit is a berry that makes things taste sweet....it's being used in patients who have that horrible metallic taste that comes with some chemotherapy....very cool!

DSC_3450_zps2d166acc.jpg

We were given random vials of herbs and spices to sniff and see if we could identify them. The answers were on the table and in the plants in the area. Most were pretty obvious, but we got allspice, which was somewhat challenging!

DSC_3452_zpscd3fbaa3.jpg

DSC_3453_zps4426b0f3.jpg

DSC_3454_zps5b3a3702.jpg

• 2 months later...

People that for some unknown reason grow things in their back yard rather than doing what normal people do and buy them at the grocery store, will find it interesting, but those that aren't, will say, ok, that's out of the way.

If you plan on doing it, do it soon because when the Disney IMs are looking at locations for a new attraction, that's where it's going.

We took that tour years ago (like a whole bunch of years ago because I think it was like $8 back then!!) and we loved it!

Yes! We did, too! It was a nice tour...and super cheap at the time.

Some photos from our tour....

The Miracle Fruit is a berry that makes things taste sweet....it's being used in patients who have that horrible metallic taste that comes with some chemotherapy....very cool!

DSC_3450_zps2d166acc.jpg

My 12 year old daughter first told me about Miracle Fruit. She found it fascinating and wanted to try it, so we ordered some Miracle Fruit tablets online and had a Miracle Fruit party. We at the tablet and then tried all kinds of foods that are normally sour or bitter...lemons, grapefruit, green apples etc. They tasted sweet like candy. It was a fun little experiment.

People that for some unknown reason grow things in their back yard rather than doing what normal people do and buy them at the grocery store, will find it interesting, but those that aren't, will say, ok, that's out of the way.

If you plan on doing it, do it soon because when the Disney IMs are looking at locations for a new attraction, that's where it's going.

Crazy people like us do that because it tastes better. I hope they don't take out that ride/tour. I really like it.

They tasted sweet like candy. It was a fun little experiment.

I use something that is similar, I call it sugar.

Crazy people like us do that because it tastes better.

Perfect example... store bought tomato vs one you just picked.

And how many tomatoes have you picked lately.

And how many tomatoes have you picked lately.

Lately? Zero.

But I have been known to have a couple of pots of tomato plants, lettuce, etc. on the deck in the summer.

Last year I planted 5 kinds of mint and some other herbs. Boy did my yard smell delicious!

And there's nothing like "hey, I'm going to go pick some salad for dinner."

And there's nothing like "hey, I'm going to go pick some salad for dinner."

Absolutely! We don't have a huge garden, just a couple of beds in the side yard. We love to go pick a salad....we usually grow a few varieties of leaf lettuce, some cucumbers, some tomatoes....yum!

13.1......we didn't make any advance reservations for the tour....just walked up to the reservation desk in the Land when we arrived at Epcot that morning and asked what they had available for tours that day. It turned out they had 3 spots left on the next tour that morning, so we bought our tickets and asked for the Disney Visa discount right then...no problems at all. I bet your DD will absolutely love this tour!

My 12 year old daughter first told me about Miracle Fruit. She found it fascinating and wanted to try it, so we ordered some Miracle Fruit tablets online and had a Miracle Fruit party. We at the tablet and then tried all kinds of foods that are normally sour or bitter...lemons, grapefruit, green apples etc. They tasted sweet like candy. It was a fun little experiment.

That is a fun experiment....we may try that, too!