DaveInTN's Christmas 2012 Extravaganza (AKA 700 Photos Of Anna and Food)

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great update, Dave! I loved the safari commentary. I think you should become a driver for the safari. You are a lot better than what they have there now. It's funny that you mention stopping to see sh

Don't forget Anna has LOTS of Aunts and Uncles. I think we could arrange an evening or afternoon for 2 :)

Hey Carol, for further clarification, I asked Anna. Her response was "это отстой обезьяны окурки".

I'm not quite sure what to say there, Ray. :rofl3:

Shall I explain? INC has a pretty high sensitivity to sulfides, so we don't drink much wine. We will occassionally get a bottle of organic wine that is low in sulfides and enjoy it (red only...I HATE white wine), but typically I stick to beer or scotch. Or vodka. Or whiskey, or gin (I like gin), sometimes rum, or maybe tequila...oh heck, you get the picture.

Ok after reading what I wrote it didn't come out quite right. Let me just say you a beautiful family and i am really enjoy your tr.

Thank you for all the birthday wishes for Anna....and now it's time to move on with this trip report.

Is This The Best They Can Do?

When we left off, we had been exploring the MK on 12/26, and we were about to venture into New Fantasyland for the very first time.

Pretty exciting stuff, no?

We entered from the area of the carousel.

DSCN1371.JPG

You can see in that picture above how overcast it was. The weather people had forecast rain for this day, but so far we remained dry. And it may have helped with keeping the crowds down. Would we stay lucky and dry all day? Time will tell.

We headed back toward Maurice's cottage and toward the Beast's castle.

DSCN1372.JPG

In my opinion, they did a very nice job with the overall theming of this new area. The forest is just beautiful, and the nature sounds coming out of it are very cool. Plus, the Beast's castle looks incredible perched up high like it appears to be....and if I hadn't seen it under construction prior to this, with men on scaffolding working on it, I would never be able to tell it is actually quite small. It looks large in scale. They may call it "forced perspective", but I just call it mission accomplished.

The area is very pretty.

We checked out Gaston's Tavern, which by the way has some very nice restrooms next to in case you have business to attend to. The gift shop there has some nice items unique to WDW I think. We planned on exploring this area in greater detail when we dined at BOG the next week. For today, I primarily wanted to walk around and maybe ride the Ariel attraction. So that's where we headed next.

The line for Under The Sea was quite manageable, so we decided to check it out.

The queue was pretty cool, and begins to immerse you into the world of Ariel.

The ride itself is a dark ride journey through the story of The Little Mermaid. There are a lot of animatronic characters from the movie.

DSCN1373.JPG

DSCN1375.JPG

DSCN1377.JPG

DSCN1379.JPG

DSCN1380.JPG

My thoughts on the ride?

I think it sucks monkey butts.

I think it ranks up there with Stitch as the worst rides in MK history.

They had a blank slate...a lot of land, money and expertise to create a top notch attraction.

And they came up with The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh Underwater.

Snooze-a-rino.

I realize I may be completely alone in this opinion. And that right now, while reading this, you may be turning red in the face and saying to yourself "that Dave is an idiot...he doesn't "get" Disney at all".

Let me tell you...I am not anti-quaint, old fashioned, boring ride. I like Peter Pan. I don't really mind small world. I love the EWP. LOVE CoP, and the People Mover. I'm old school. And I kinda get that they were shooting for old school in the manner of Peter Pan, Snow White's Scary Adventures, and other rides which retell the movie. But the thing is...Peter Pan is a good ride because it is fascinating to be suspended from the track with the story playing out beneath you. Flying over London is simply cool. Snow White sucked, but I'm biased there, and it's gone anyways. This new Ariel ride doesn't have any cool factor IMO, short of the giant Ursula which is actually pretty neat. But beyond that, it just looked to me like a ride you'd find at some regional theme park, not something that Disney, with all of their resources, came up with. The ride rooms themselves aren't very imaginative. You ride in clam shaped vehicles that just seem to be moving along a concrete floor. You move from room to room, scene to scene, with simple animatronic characters acting out the scenes.

Lest you think I am anti-Ariel...I actually like The Little Mermaid. I think it's a good movie. Other than one encounter at a parade a year ago with a psychotic Ariel, I have nothing against the Chick Fish. She's kinda ok. It's just the ride. It sucks monkey butts.

That's probably all I should say about it.

I know a lot of you haven't ridden it yet.

Don't let my opinion turn you against it. Go ride it, and make up your own mind.

And if you don't agree with me?

Well, then you suck monkey butts too.

So there.

Thank you for all the birthday wishes for Anna....and now it's time to move on with this trip report.

Is This The Best They Can Do?

My thoughts on the ride?

I think it sucks monkey butts.

I think it ranks up there with Stitch as the worst rides in MK history.

They had a blank slate...a lot of land, money and expertise to create a top notch attraction.

And they came up with The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh Underwater.

Snooze-a-rino.

I realize I may be completely alone in this opinion. And that right now, while reading this, you may be turning red in the face and saying to yourself "that Dave is an idiot...he doesn't "get" Disney at all".

Let me tell you...I am not anti-quaint, old fashioned, boring ride. I like Peter Pan. I don't really mind small world. I love the EWP. LOVE CoP, and the People Mover. I'm old school. And I kinda get that they were shooting for old school in the manner of Peter Pan, Snow White's Scary Adventures, and other rides which retell the movie. But the thing is...Peter Pan is a good ride because it is fascinating to be suspended from the track with the story playing out beneath you. Flying over London is simply cool. Snow White sucked, but I'm biased there, and it's gone anyways. This new Ariel ride doesn't have any cool factor IMO, short of the giant Ursula which is actually pretty neat. But beyond that, it just looked to me like a ride you'd find at some regional theme park, not something that Disney, with all of their resources, came up with. The ride rooms themselves aren't very imaginative. You ride in clam shaped vehicles that just seem to be moving along a concrete floor. You move from room to room, scene to scene, with simple animatronic characters acting out the scenes.

Lest you think I am anti-Ariel...I actually like The Little Mermaid. I think it's a good movie. Other than one encounter at a parade a year ago with a psychotic Ariel, I have nothing against the Chick Fish. She's kinda ok. It's just the ride. It sucks monkey butts.

That's probably all I should say about it.

I know a lot of you haven't ridden it yet.

Don't let my opinion turn you against it. Go ride it, and make up your own mind.

And if you don't agree with me?

Well, then you suck monkey butts too.

So there.

No ruffled feathers here Dave!!! I agree!!!

While the entire area is beautiful, and they hit a major home run with the restaurant, while I didn't use those same words, I agree!! Multi-millions of dollars for princess greetings, and a dark ride??

But then again, how did Stella and Anna like the ride? That's who it's geared to.......

While the entire area is beautiful, and they hit a major home run with the restaurant, while I didn't use those same words, I agree!! Multi-millions of dollars for princess greetings, and a dark ride??

But then again, how did Stella and Anna like the ride? That's who it's geared to.......

Stella agrees with me. Not completely sure what Anna's thoughts are, but she didn't do any dancing on the ride like she does on small world and others. So that indicates to me that it sucks monkey butts to her, too.

Are my feathers supposed to be ruffled because you didn't like the mermaid ride?

They're not.

I like it.

I think the queue and the use of Scuttle is cool.

Is it a great ride?

No.

But, it's a far cry from Stitch.

And it doesn't suck monkey butt.

That's a pretty gross saying when you think about it.

You are entitled to be wrong, though.

Free country and all.

TCD

Happy Birthday Sweet Anna!! :partythree: :partythree: :partythree:

Dave, if I were truly satisfied with the number of pictures posted what would you have to aspire to? :heartsmiley: Perhaps I feel you need a challenge of picture posting as I need something to challenge someone on something of total irrelevance to my daily life. Anna pictures, Stella pictures, Izzy pictures well they just make people happy like this :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

(was that snarktastic enough? would Lou be proud?)

Me too!!!

The theming in the area overall is fantastic- the fact that the Beast's castle up on the mountain actually mirrors the building itself when you go inside... brilliant!

But while the Ariel ride queue itself is super, and the music is great (but of course that was nothing new), the ride itself was really disappointing - or at least way below what I expected from a 2012 WDW attraction.

I know they made a huge deal out of some of the "refinements" to the animatronics - like the whole Ariel's swirly hair thing, but really? Ok so her hair looks like it's floating - big whoop. Never mind that it's the "Under the Sea" ride, it's more or less on the site of the old 20,000 Leagues attraction, and yet the best they did as far as "water" was concerned was the inital sequence with the bubbles (which was kinda cool).

DH was even more disappointed than I was and to him it was just another IASW with a different (much less annoying) soundtrack.

And I also agree with Carol on this...

"Multi-millions of dollars for princess greetings, and a dark ride??"

After all the hype I was definitely expecting something more out of the area. Maybe when the Mine Coaster is done I'll feel differently, but I think Under the Sea will be one of those attractions we only do late at night with no wait, and that aside from eating at BOG we'll spend very little time in the new area.

Hey Carol, for further clarification, I asked Anna. Her response was "это отстой обезьяны окурки".

:lmao1:

I cry fowl. It wont translate for me.

For the record I like the Little mermaid ride but dont know if it will be an every visit must do ride. The main character animatronics are actually some of the most advanced they have done. If you look closely at Ursula and Ariel there is more movement even through the body. Ursula bounces and stretches more than you would usually see.

Sorry you didnt like it though.

But while the Ariel ride queue itself is super, and the music is great (but of course that was nothing new), the ride itself was really disappointing - or at least way below what I expected from a 2012 WDW attraction.

I wish they would have come up with something new personally. It is really just an exact copy of the ride in Disneyland with a better queue. While i like it I agree it will be a no wait ride only.

Gotta say Ursula was probably the coolest part of the ride.

And I know this whole area is geared to the wee ones, but I'm with Dave in that I really enjoy the other attractions in Fantasyland (particularly IASW and PP) and I loved the mermaid movie. But I guess aside from advancements in how the animatronics moved, I was expecting something new in the whole story telling aspect of the ride - not just a rehash of the same-old, same-ol.

That's it? :)

That was more of a rough petting, than a ruffling.

I liked Mermaid. It's cute and aimed at the little ones who will dig the animatronics and colors.

Will I ride every trip? Not a chance.

Wow. I hope I dont suck any monkey butts after i exit the ride the first time.

I hope you like it! Seriously.

But you will suck monkey butt if you do.

Are my feathers supposed to be ruffled because you didn't like the mermaid ride?

They're not.

I like it.

I think the queue and the use of Scuttle is cool.

Is it a great ride?

No.

But, it's a far cry from Stitch.

And it doesn't suck monkey butt.

That's a pretty gross saying when you think about it.

You are entitled to be wrong, though.

Free country and all.

TCD

You suck monkey butt. I hope it doesn't run in the family. I hate to think that Yuri sucks monkey butt too.

OK, I spit on my screen with that one!!!! :rofl2:

Sorry for the screen.

Happy Birthday Sweet Anna!! :partythree: :partythree: :partythree:

Dave, if I were truly satisfied with the number of pictures posted what would you have to aspire to? :heartsmiley: Perhaps I feel you need a challenge of picture posting as I need something to challenge someone on something of total irrelevance to my daily life. Anna pictures, Stella pictures, Izzy pictures well they just make people happy like this :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

(was that snarktastic enough? would Lou be proud?)

Lou would be proud...if he read trip reports.

After all the hype I was definitely expecting something more out of the area. Maybe when the Mine Coaster is done I'll feel differently, but I think Under the Sea will be one of those attractions we only do late at night with no wait, and that aside from eating at BOG we'll spend very little time in the new area.

After riding Ariel, I started to worry about the Mine Train. I am expecting quite a bit from that ride. But after thinking about it, I'm not too concerned. Totally different goals with those two rides, I think. And Disney has proven that it can still build great rides in the past 10-15 years with EE, RNR and others. So I still expect great things from the Mine Train. I really hope it doesn't suck monkey butts.

I cry fowl. It wont translate for me.

For the record I like the Little mermaid ride but dont know if it will be an every visit must do ride. The main character animatronics are actually some of the most advanced they have done. If you look closely at Ursula and Ariel there is more movement even through the body. Ursula bounces and stretches more than you would usually see.

Sorry you didnt like it though.

I really did think Ursula was cool.

I wish they would have come up with something new personally. It is really just an exact copy of the ride in Disneyland with a better queue. While i like it I agree it will be a no wait ride only.

Yep. And for me, only if Stella or Anna ask to ride it.

Gotta say Ursula was probably the coolest part of the ride.

And I know this whole area is geared to the wee ones, but I'm with Dave in that I really enjoy the other attractions in Fantasyland (particularly IASW and PP) and I loved the mermaid movie. But I guess aside from advancements in how the animatronics moved, I was expecting something new in the whole story telling aspect of the ride - not just a rehash of the same-old, same-ol.

Agreed.

It pains me to say this but I have to slightly agree with dave on the Under the Sea. I thought it was cute, not great, but my kids thought it was cool. Will I ride it again, if it's less than 10 min wait.

Why does it pain you to slightly agree with me? Are my opinions typically offensive? :rofl3:

That's it? :)

That was more of a rough petting, than a ruffling.

I liked Mermaid. It's cute and aimed at the little ones who will dig the animatronics and colors.

Will I ride every trip? Not a chance.

I'm not sure quite how to respond. Should I be used to that from you by now? :rofl2:

this is begging for a comment.....

Ok so I wasnt the only one whos brain went there. If i wasnt so tired from 24 hours working in a 32 hour time period I would come up with something.

You are not alone.

Yeah....begging for comment but I'm not the one to do it.