Living with the Land Inspiration

Is it weird that I get excited to open this thread every time I see it bump up?

I love posting! It's funny to see my DH and I rush to the basement to check the status of our little "sprouts". We're so proud. They're like our children...only they stay put and don't talk back. ;)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very tasty! Just added a bit of balsamic dressing and dried cherries....and wallah!

I love posting! It's funny to see my DH and I rush to the basement to check the status of our little "sprouts". We're so proud. They're like our children...only they stay put and don't talk back.

Snow Day Salad...courtesy of our basement garden! Hydroponic Garden Harvest - Winter 2013 Hearty tomato plants look promising for future salads... :)

Update on our mini Living with the Land....

Left to right in this rock wool:

-lettuce

-basil

-cilantro

-spinach

To the left of this set up are our patio tomatoes and Hungarian peppers. :yay:

62d02cc78aa1ebb74d93cfea2975a915.jpg

Great job. Please keep us posted. Do you have the research and build up of the system posted somewhere?

This is a trial run at a hydroponic system, Jiggity. Once we witness it's success, we will surely share the details of the set up. My DH and I LOVE the ride at EpCot (and since my DH works in the plumbing dept at HD), he decided why not give it a try? (Much of the growing research was online)

When I can make pesto, prep a salad, pick our own tomatoes, I'll get him to post his plans.

In the meantime, keep yer fingers crossed.... ;)

How hard was this to set up-my teenager has been begging to do this since his first Behind the Seeds tour.

Watching my DH build it was EASY ;). My DH building it for the first time was pretty much trial and error. If we get great results, I'll be sure and post as much detail about its construction as I can. (the napkin with the sketches and doodling will need more detail)

It IS very rewarding and certainly a great project for you son.

That is awesome. If my basement wasn't so cold I would love to try this.

We live in Michigan and our basement is around 60-65. The light provides extra heat. As long as the plants get water, nutrients and light, your good. We even have a fan on a timer to "cool" things off from time to time...

Remember, lettuce loves cooler temps too!

Kadancer, my DH suggests trying a small scale model with a Home Depot bucket. He also said to visit your local hydroponic store for support. Online searches will have endless info too.

Let us know if your son tries it...