Oh boy, went to the RV show.. In love with a PUP

When I traded our pup and our hybrid, the units never made it to the lot. They were sold before we even closed the deal to people on waiting lists for these trailers, contacted by the dealership before they made the used trailer listing.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For what it's worth, I think all sides of the "debate" have valid points. When we first started looking for a PUP, we found we could get what we wanted new for $12-13K, we could get a slightly used on

When I traded our pup and our hybrid, the units never made it to the lot. They were sold before we even closed the deal to people on waiting lists for these trailers, contacted by the dealership before they made the used trailer listing.

Yes, but that's because word got out that they could own a trailer slept in by an FOB....Friend of Bobby. Those don't come around very often.

Yes, but that's because word got out that they could own a trailer slept in by an FOB....Friend of Bobby. Those don't come around very often.

There is no doubt that there is some attraction to owning a celebrity trailer.

The Flagstaff is the same as Rockwood, same factory and designs. We have the Rockwood 2317G which is the same as the Flagstaff 823D. Similar to what you are looking at. The good news is that if you buy right, you can save up to 35% off the list price. We paid $9800 for our 2013, down from $15,354. Discounts are deep now. Especially at the end of the month and they need the sales. We're pretty happy with the unit, other than the water outlet position.

We are a family of 7 and I loved the layout of Curt's PUP! I have been looking ever since. I am not necessarily looking for a bathroom but I wouldn't rule it out. Curt's are great and no BR. Had even more room with just 2 of in it for the WWW.

Think too about how far you are willing to drive to pick up a camper. When we found the model we wanted ; I searched on line and found one about an hour away.The dealership was having an internet sale. It was a carry over from the previous year. We ended buying a new camper for less than we would have paid for it used.

We went to the RV show tonight and we are in love Flagstaff pop up. It's a Classic 625D. The price is $13,995.

Oh my god we are in love. Any feedback on this brand? Model? Are we crazy?!

SO what kind of tow vehicle do you have? To me the main advantages of a pop up are that they are very small and light so you don't need a big truck to tow one...many V6 vehicles can tow them with ease. I'd probably not tow one with a 4 banger. The other advantage is because they small when not popped up they can be stored in some garages... storage is much less an issue with one vs a trailer. You can also get into some places with a pop up that you could not with bigger trailers...if that's important to you.

Overall though that's about it...I asked about your vehicle because if you have something that can handle a smaller travel trailer then you might want to consider that for the money you are thinking of spending.

Someone mentioned pop ups hold their value....well not if you buy it for 13 or 14k it's not. You can find used ones for a few thousand. TO me popups are just no as durable over time so be prepared to fix or replace the tent sections from time to time. If you can go bigger you might want to consider a travel trailer or a hybrid travel trailer. Having a real bathroom vs a what most pop ups have is a pretty big deal. A lot of the travel trailers have the little buckets you have to manually dump...I'd personally much rather just hook up sewer lines and pull the lever out than mess with those buckets.

If you are new to RVs then I'd say buy a used one....for one you'll spend way less. Also you don't know what you want until you've really spent time in one. A lot of people own their first RV for less than a year or two before getting another one that fits their "needs" better. You could flip a used one and actually sell it for close to what you bought it for assuming you take good care of it and maybe add some upgrades...but there is no way that will happen if you buy a new one. When someone buys a new RV and they had one in the past the trend is most of the time they go bigger.

I've stayed at one RV resort where Pop ups and hybrids were not allowed. Some will also have restrictions on the age of your RV. Pretty much these places are trying to make sure everyone has a nice looking rig.

SO what kind of tow vehicle do you have? To me the main advantages of a pop up are that they are very small and light so you don't need a big truck to tow one...many V6 vehicles can tow them with ease. I'd probably not tow one with a 4 banger. The other advantage is because they small when not popped up they can be stored in some garages... storage is much less an issue with one vs a trailer. You can also get into some places with a pop up that you could not with bigger trailers...if that's important to you.

Overall though that's about it...I asked about your vehicle because if you have something that can handle a smaller travel trailer then you might want to consider that for the money you are thinking of spending.

Someone mentioned pop ups hold their value....well not if you buy it for 13 or 14k it's not. You can find used ones for a few thousand. TO me popups are just no as durable over time so be prepared to fix or replace the tent sections from time to time. If you can go bigger you might want to consider a travel trailer or a hybrid travel trailer. Having a real bathroom vs a what most pop ups have is a pretty big deal. A lot of the travel trailers have the little buckets you have to manually dump...I'd personally much rather just hook up sewer lines and pull the lever out than mess with those buckets.

If you are new to RVs then I'd say buy a used one....for one you'll spend way less. Also you don't know what you want until you've really spent time in one. A lot of people own their first RV for less than a year or two before getting another one that fits their "needs" better. You could flip a used one and actually sell it for close to what you bought it for assuming you take good care of it and maybe add some upgrades...but there is no way that will happen if you buy a new one. When someone buys a new RV and they had one in the past the trend is most of the time they go bigger.

I've stayed at one RV resort where Pop ups and hybrids were not allowed. Some will also have restrictions on the age of your RV. Pretty much these places are trying to make sure everyone has a nice looking rig.

I stand by my statements re. popups holding value. Has to do with demand for them. Compared to any other RV, a popup will maintain it's resale value much better in general. Hence my advice. When looking for a popup, a late model used in good condition will sell for close to what you can pick up a new one for. I have owned trailers for over 30 years including 2 popups, so I maybe know a little about what I am talking about.

I stand by my statements re. popups holding value. Has to do with demand for them. Compared to any other RV, a popup will maintain it's resale value much better in general. Hence my advice. When looking for a popup, a late model used in good condition will sell for close to what you can pick up a new one for. I have owned trailers for over 30 years including 2 popups, so I maybe know a little about what I am talking about.

So are you saying if someone bought a 13k or 14k pop up they could assume that they would be able to turn around and sell it for close to the same price in a year or two? I don't see it happening and that's all I'm looking at. I agree if someone buys used then they have a good chance of not losing too much on a pop up when they try to sell in a year or two but that's different than buying new.

I do not want to stay at any RV park that requires you to have a BIG dollar RV. Just not my type.

I was just passing on info...it's a consideration. For some it has no bearing on their decision...for others maybe it's good to know. My favorite place we ever stayed was in Port Aransas TX called Gulf Waters RV resort. All the RV spots are actually individually owned and rented out by a property manager. When we went we had our old TT that was a 2007 27'. I would not call it a big dollar RV since we bought it used for $13k. I went to their website and these are the rules that applied to RVs themselves.

• No pop-ups, high-lows, truck campers or tents are allowed. Hard side units only.
  • RV age requirement is 10 years or newer unless approved by staff. Units must be 24’ or longer in length.
  • All units are subject to approval and must be self-contained.

I look at this similarly to rules a home owners association would have.

So are you saying if someone bought a 13k or 14k pop up they could assume that they would be able to turn around and sell it for close to the same price in a year or two? I don't see it happening and that's all I'm looking at. I agree if someone buys used then they have a good chance of not losing too much on a pop up when they try to sell in a year or two but that's different than buying new.

Nope. What I'm saying is if you go to a dealer, you can expect to pay close to the price of a new unit for a late model comparable used unit on their lot. Personally, if I am going to pay close to the same price, I would go with the new unit. Check the ads if you don't believe me.

I actually did look at ads...the most expensive used pop up I saw was $10.5k. This was just me checking craigslist (where mostly dealers post)...I put in "pop" in the search and looked at all 96 listings. The only amounts I saw that were more were 2013 units that I assume are new.

I actually did look at ads...the most expensive used pop up I saw was $10.5k. This was just me checking craigslist (where mostly dealers post)...I put in "pop" in the search and looked at all 96 listings. The only amounts I saw that were more were 2013 units that I assume are new.

This actually proves nothing. I'm not going to argue with you any more. Move on. WWLD?

I've seen older units that were kept in better condition than some new ones.

Try Fretz RV in Souderton. They sell Jayco products. Family business. I bought a hybrid from them several years ago.

This actually proves nothing. I'm not going to argue with you any more. Move on. WWLD?

I didnt know it was an argument. You said check the ads if I don't believe you...I did just that. Sorry my results did not back up what you are saying. I don't really care one way or the other. If it makes you feel better I'll just agree with you.