I know that this is probably going to make Lou cranky because it's a rumor, but we do have a rumor thread. It's lonely with only 1 post.

Disney Food Blog is giving more information about the rumored plans for Downtown Disney.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/03/07/rumor-new-restaurants-planned-for-disney-worlds-downtown-disney/

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's going right in front of PH...  

I know that this is probably going to make Lou cranky

That ship sailed a long time ago.

we do have a rumor thread. It's lonely with only 1 post.

Wow, I didn't know that. Is it new?

Back to that article, I love this part. "Please note that all of this is subject to change (and probably WILL!)". Nothing like credibility in journalism.

As for the rumors about DTD, they aren't rumors. Certain things are going to be torn down, changed, or added, it's been announced, that's not news.

Certain CMs, me, were given broad outlines regarding one of the areas that is changing, months ago by a WDW VP. Not much on exact details though.

As for the rumored parking garage, that's been talked about since the West Side was added. It's like the rumors about a 5th park.

The funny thing will be when Disney finally releases plans, and they will, people will say, see the rumors were true.

"Please note that all of this is subject to change (and probably WILL!)". Nothing like credibility in journalism.

Hey, at least they're being up front about the fact that none of this is carved in stone and is still just speculation.

There are a some sites out there that will take a rumor and run with it like it's gospel.

And then when it doesn't pan out, they just never mention it again.

The kicker is that I can think of at least 2 off the top of my head that do this ALL. THE. TIME.

Both claim all kinds of reliable inside sources, and yet I'd have to guess that less than 1/2 of what they "report" ever proves to be true.

Supposedly the big grand public announcement has been rescheduled, however WDWMagic is reporting that the information on at least some of the changes was given to CMs this afternoon...

'Disney Springs' Downtown Disney expansion confirmed to cast members this afternoon at Downtown Disney

Mar 12, 2013 | 2:55pm EDT

'Disney Springs' has today been confirmed to cast members as the expansion set to completely transform the Downtown Disney area. The media announcement planned for today has been pushed back to what will likely be later this week. However, the following highlights were confirmed today to cast members.

• The name of the new Downtown Disney will be 'Disney Springs.'
  • The theming will be that of a beautiful lush, old Florida feel, featuring lots of new water ways, water features, and shade.
  • Two parking garages will be constructed, one on the Marketplace side, and one on the West Side near Cirque du Soleil. This will free up space taken by the existing ground level parking to be used for new restaurants and shops.
  • World of Disney will be expanded.
  • Many new restaurants and shops will be added as part of the expansion, with most being new to the Orlando area. No specific vendors have been confirmed so far.
  • A walkway bridge will be constructed from the Rainforest Cafe to the TREX area to improve guest flow.
  • Captain Jacks Restaurant will be closing, but all cast will be relocated to other restaurants.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/disney-springs/news/12mar2013-%27disney-springs%27-downtown-disney-expansion-confirmed-to-cast-members-this-afternoon-at-downtown-disney.htm#.UT98V6ntoH8.twitter

Yada, yada, yada, I've heard it before. Let's see if they deliver this time.

So now we'll have Saratoga Springs, Coronado Springs, and Disney Springs, really, that's the best name they could come up with?

If the story is accurate, adding that bridge from the Hotel Plaza Blvd resorts to the MP is not going to make a big difference. I can tell you first hand because I sit at that light all the time, that it's not the people trying to cross that intersection that's slowing things down, it's the cars. And if it was a major bottleneck, then DTD CMs crossing from the CM parking lot behind the Hess station at PI is just as bad or even worse. Are they adding a bridge there too? It didn't sound like it.

WDWMagic stuck their head way out by making a really big deal about the big announcement that was supposed to have been made today. They also said it was delayed due to extremely poor weather. Delayed, it never happened. I don't know where their knucklehead reporter was, but driving all over WDW today, all I encountered was light rain. I took the wipers off intermittent once the entire day.

They covered their butts by saying that the changes were confirmed to CMs. Really, what a bunch of baloney. It's been confirmed to some CMs for the last three months. They probably figure that most of their readers don't have a clue as to what's really going on at WDW so they buy whatever they print.

I also asked a manager about the big announcement at DTD, he said, what announcement?

I sure hope for WDWMagic's sake that Disney makes the announcement tomorrow.

Well it's a rumor no more! From the Disney Parks blog... [looks like there's a "click here" link missing from the 2nd to the last paragraph]

Announcing Disney Springs at Walt Disney World Resort

posted on March 14th, 2013 by Tom Staggs, Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts

Earlier today, we unveiled plans for Disney Springs, the exciting, multi-year transformation of Downtown Disney at the Walt Disney World Resort, and I’d like to give you all a glimpse into what we’ve got planned.

dts1178466SMALL.jpg

Walt Disney World Resort guests and local Florida residents have been enjoying Downtown Disney for more than 30 years, but we knew we had an opportunity to reimagine and reinvent this corner of the resort. We’ve spent a good deal of time thinking through just what we want this area to be, and how to bring it to life to make it a place unlike any other. And we have even scrapped a few preliminary plans that we felt didn’t measure up to our aspirations for this place.

Our fundamental goal is to create a welcoming, comfortable space where families can enjoy time together and instantaneously feel right at home. We want to give them opportunities to relax, to be entertained, to wander in and out of unique and distinctive shops or enjoy a world-class dining experience. And because we are Disney, we’ve anchored the entire experience around a story that gives us the ability to deliver on the legendary place-making and creativity for which we are known. The result is Disney Springs, a timeless and vibrant place that celebrates the turn-of-the century lakeside towns that dotted the Florida landscape.

dts6678466SMALL.jpg

Gallery

dts2278466SMALL-100x100.jpg

dts3378466SMALL-100x100.jpg

dts4478466SMALL-100x100.jpg

dts5578466SMALL-100x100.jpg

dts6678466SMALL-100x100.jpg

dts1178466SMALL-100x100.jpg

The story of Disney Springs begins at our new Town Center, which is oriented around a series of bubbling natural springs that first attracted settlers to the area. From there, the town grew to encompass three additional neighborhoods: The Landing, Marketplace and West Side – each with its own distinct charm and atmosphere. For more about each of these districts, click here.

Once complete, Disney Springs will expand from 75 to more than 150 shopping, dining and entertainment venues, featuring some of the world’s most iconic brands and restaurants. Construction is set to begin next month. The expansion will open in phases and we expect to complete our development in 2016. We look forward to sharing more details in the future here on the Disney Parks Blog.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/03/announcing-disney-springs-at-walt-disney-world-resort/