WDW Transportation (yes, even the Monorails)

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All of the above. As for testing, Disney has tested electric and hybrid buses, but both have failed miserably and they've settled on the diesel Gillig bus as their primary bus and that's all they've b

Actually it's quite simple. I have two names, my given name, which I never use and a name kinda, sorta, based on that name which was given to me by US Immigration. They don't change names anymore as t

I changed your post.  Not to make it accurate, or even to make any sense.  Just to tick you off. 

It is pretty amazing that people expect Disney to anticipate and meet every possible need they can dream up in their heads.

I believe it's due to the perception that Disney has the latest and greatest, and the best and the brightest people available. Uh, no, that's a myth. That applies to the industrial sector and not to an amusement park operator.

If they would just install a network of PeopleMovers all around WDW, connecting every park, resort, DTD, mini golf course and open field, no one would need to worry about bus schedules.  Hands up! 

Let's see, MK to AKL, 6.5 miles at 3 mph, over 2 hours. This concept needs some fine tuning.

Big news in WDW Transportation. You've probably never noticed, but just about every single mirror enclosure on the buses has at least one scratch. And a huge number of buses have a noticeable scratch/dent on the left rear corner of the body at mirror height. 

As a result of the recent mirror relocation test, additional buses will have their mirrors relocated.

The new mirror locations are expected to reduce bus incidents.

Big news in WDW Transportation. You've probably never noticed, but just about every single mirror enclosure on the buses has at least one scratch. And a huge number of buses have a noticeable scratch/dent on the left rear corner of the body at mirror height. 

As a result of the recent mirror relocation test, additional buses will have their mirrors relocated.

The new mirror locations are expected to reduce bus incidents.

Will it help overall visibility or just avoid the mirrors hitting things?

Will it help overall visibility or just avoid the mirrors hitting things?

As it's not being done to improve visibility, and I haven't been involved in the test, I can't address if it does or does not.

The mirrors on the buses are crap to begin with. They have lousy visibility. They're too small. I'm ashamed to say that newer MHs have better mirrors than most of the WDW buses.

So, yes, it's to reduce bus to bus incidents.

Wow.  That's good to know ... not!

Yeah, tell me about.

They finally switched to making the enclosures out of plastic so that it minimizes the damage to other buses if they do contact them, too little to late.

Another flaw is that the mirrors are black and disappear at night. You can't see them. 

I had an incident at night in the bus lot where there was a bus parked on my left side, very close to my bus. I checked my mirrors twice and didn't see any problem. In order to clear a curb on the right, I had to turn slightly to the left. After moving a few feet, I hear a noise in the back. I stop, and  go outside to check it out. The slight turn was enough to rub the mirror on the parked bus. Even when I got close enough to evaluate what happened, because it was dark, I could hardly see the mirror. Anyway, no damage and I informed the manager about the incident and was cleared.

The mirrors should be painted with a dayglo color if they are such an issue, and they are. Will they do that, I doubt it. 

A routine Monorail training exercise will take place on Aug. 12th, 9-11:30am 

The training exercise will occur along World Drive, past the Contemporary Resort and is not expected to impact normal Monorail operations.

Should you find yourself back there, which btw is not restricted, use caution.

I am somewhat confused, or have had too much wine. If Disney indeed has these long, articulated busses with multiple points of entry, how will the bus driver be able to monitor who has paid their fare and who hasn't? What is the current bus fare, and do you need exact change? I need Obamacation.

or have had too much wine. 

how will the bus driver be able to monitor who has paid their fare and who hasn't? 

What is the current bus fare

Yes, you have had too much wine, but what else is new?

Not that they'll be there to collect the bus fare, but there will be a second CM at the rear door to facilitate orderly boarding. 

As for what is the bus fare, it's more than you think. You just don't see it.

Do the new busses use the normal wheel chair boarding method (front door with the the first 2 rows designated for wheel chairs and self restraint) or still use the unique to WDW rear door and make the buss driver assume liability?

The WDW buses may be unique, but they got it right by opting to have their buses configured to load WC/ECVs through the rear door.

It gives scooters 3 more feet to make the right turn once inside the bus. Scooters boarding buses through the front door loose 3 feet due to the the drivers compartment. 

I'm not understanding the driver assuming liability part.

On the metro busses the rider restrains them self. On Disney busses the driver restrains the rider. So, the driver is responsible for properly restraining the rider.

There is a big difference though, here the norm is the regular wheel chairs, so the rider just backs up to the locking mechanism and slides a lever. WDW the norm is power chairs.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

On the metro busses the rider restrains them self. On Disney busses the driver restrains the rider. So, the driver is responsible for properly restraining the rider.

There is a big difference though, here the norm is the regular wheel chairs, so the rider just backs up to the locking mechanism and slides a lever. WDW the norm is power chairs.

So the driver on the Metro buses just deploys the ramp? Do they even get up?

I thought you meant that if something went wrong, the driver is liable.

It's probably at least 90% scooters on WDW buses.

For most riders the driver does not get up. The driver presses a button and the buss kneels and entrance walkway drops down/extends to becomes the ramp. It is a very quick process. The seats where the rider backs up to are on auto lifting struts like your car hood. So all the rider has to do is flick a lever and the seat folds up flush against the wall. Usually some one else pulls the lever as the walk past the seats.

The WDW busses are pain fully slow to watch and for the handicap rider, has to be a little humbling to relay on someone else for basic transportation.

The riders with more serious disabilities ride Metro Access which is designed for the different scooter/power chair design.

I would also guess for majority of the scooter riders WDW would be their fist time using public transportation with the scooter. Based on the number of rentals alone.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

The overflow parking lot at Team Disney will start to be operational on busy days, including most Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays throughout the next few years of the Disney Springs project.

You may park there if you're going to the West Side. A shuttle will take guests from the Team Disney lot to the Cirque du Soleil area.

Disney is encouraging guests to use Disney bus transportation, as it remains the best way to travel to DTD for anyone staying in a WDW resort. 

I still say "stay off the damn buses".

I've been out of the loop - not to mention being told to sit down & shut up by some joker of a bus driver - but why have they blocked off that huge area of parking at dtd and created such a mess?? I suspect it must have something to do with you bus drivers, as the lever pullers couldn't keep their vehicles running long enough to get there even if there were enough track...