WDW Transportation (yes, even the Monorails)

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All of the above. As for testing, Disney has tested electric and hybrid buses, but both have failed miserably and they've settled on the diesel Gillig bus as their primary bus and that's all they've b

Actually it's quite simple. I have two names, my given name, which I never use and a name kinda, sorta, based on that name which was given to me by US Immigration. They don't change names anymore as t

I changed your post.  Not to make it accurate, or even to make any sense.  Just to tick you off. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lou,     Has Disney ever tried to use the other fueled buses.   I know that our County Bus System had a few buses that ran on Propane/Natural Gas.   I heard that they ran well,  but the maintnenace and cost of maintaining the filling areas was quite expensive.   I only ask, since many of the propane/Natural Gas delivery trucks run that way also and the technology seems to be well developed.

They've tested various alternative energy buses. I don't know if Natural Gas was one of them, but none have met the WDW criteria, whatever that is.

I believe what you see is what you'll get due to the operational limitations and overall costs of other buses.

You might see one or two, supposedly green, buses running around at some point, but that will be just to keep the tree huggers quiet.

Alternative energy vehicles aren't being used in any substantial numbers nationwide, so I doubt Disney wants to be a guinea pig.

Washington DC its using a decent number of natural gas buses, they could only have them because some congressman wanted jobs in their district.

If I remember correctly, DC's CNG buses make up about 20% of the bus fleet, which is substantial for that particular fleet, but nationwide, it has a ways to go.

A key difference between DC and Disney is in one case, government is footing the bill, and we know how that goes, and in the other case, Disney, a private company, has to justify the additional cost involved with purchasing the buses, maintenance, and cost of the fueling stations.

While CNG buses do cost less to operate, they cost just about as much more to purchase. Overall cost appears to be a wash.

CNG buses pollute less, but with the addition of new buses and phasing out of the older buses, Disney is now, or will be soon, in compliance with governmental pollution regulations.

Some notes about transportation from my visit over the last couple of weeks:

The new bus livery looks very good, with a decent amount of buses wearing it after the introduction of new Gillig Low Floors. I was also suprised to see after many people referring to the buses as glowing in the dark, this must have been a trial that was not carried out as I saw multiple new buses that did not glow. There were also a sizeable amount of RTS in service at peak times.

Not much to report on the monorails, apart from Green appears to be out of service since its the only one I never saw.

• 3 weeks later...

It's kind of like when Steve Martin gets the phone book in his movie....."Lou is SOMEBODY!!!!!" Lol

Seriously, it's kind of cool that Disney still acknowledges service anniversaries. My company hasn't done that in many many years. Societal norms continue down the path towards a mercenary job force.

Another 25 years and you can catch up to Smarn. 

Not gonna happen. Smarn goes by the name Sammy, nice guy.

He's not that old, so he must have started at WDW at a really young age.

The other four drivers on the list were all in my class, so I know and see them on a regular basis. About half of that class lasted for 5 years, not bad.

An interesting name on that list is Natking Louis. One of his parents was a big Nat King Cole fan and named Natking after him.

I see that for the family crowd they blocked out "Schmuckface"   8)

It does start with the letter S, but I blanked it out, not Disney

Why did they blank out your last name like that, though?

Looking at the names on the list, "Louis" looks kind of wimpy.  I think you need to come up with something more original.  How about Loupplin?  Loufus?

You're right, compared to most of the other names it does sound wimpy.

When I came to the US, the government would Americanize names, so I could use my real birth name which is much more impressive, but it would take up too much space.