WDW Transportation (yes, even the Monorails)

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All of the above. As for testing, Disney has tested electric and hybrid buses, but both have failed miserably and they've settled on the diesel Gillig bus as their primary bus and that's all they've b

Actually it's quite simple. I have two names, my given name, which I never use and a name kinda, sorta, based on that name which was given to me by US Immigration. They don't change names anymore as t

I changed your post.  Not to make it accurate, or even to make any sense.  Just to tick you off. 

I'm putting an end to this ridiculous discussion. His name is Art Vandelay.

Any word on where they are being tested?  I'd like to see one in action.

TCD

They'll be used mainly, but not exclusively, at the values to MK, MK to the values during opening and closing times.

They'll also be used for the TTC to MK route, augmenting or replacing the express monorail as needed.

Bus stops are configured to allow boarding through both the front and rear doors. There will be a second transportation CM on the buses in order to facilitate rear door boarding.

Lynx has a few of them.

They'll be used mainly, but not exclusively, at the values to MK, MK to the values during opening and closing times.

They'll also be used for the TTC to MK route, augmenting or replacing the express monorail as needed.

Bus stops are configured to allow boarding through both the front and rear doors. There will be a second transportation CM on the buses in order to facilitate rear door boarding.

Lynx has a few of them.

I have seen a Lynx one before.

I didn't think about the boarding.  That will be interesting.  Have they changed the queues at the bus stops?  Or do they just load the sections one at a time?

I guess there must have been some special training for operating these buses- are you ever going to drive one?

TCD

Have they changed the queues at the bus stops?  

I guess there must have been some special training for operating these buses- are you ever going to drive one?

The larger bus stops are designed to accommodate the dual door boarding method.

No, I will never drive one of the articulated buses. Only the real drivers will be trained to drive those.

• 2 weeks later...
The latest release of propaganda what guests are saying about the WDW bus system

I have to say your transportation department was awesome. We never waited very long at all for a bus and they were kind and funny.
Must have been a slow day.

The bus system was top notch. We barely left the grounds before we were discussing our next visit there. We truly had a magical Disney vacation.
I've got your magical, right here.

I didn't get the driver's name but he was extremely nice and exemplifies Walt Disney World customer service.
They certainly didn't have me as their bus driver.

The bus driver did his job well. We were extraordinarily impressed by him. He went far beyond the expectations of his job and made our day more magical. He did comedy and impersonations on our bus ride. In my opinion, he is the finest example of an extraordinary Disney Cast Member.
And he'll get fired if he's caught doing that while the bus is in motion.

One of your bus drivers went above and beyond to make the trek from the hotel to the theme park more enjoyable. Sam was delightfully entertaining. He interacted with us and kept us laughing the entire trip. That's just one more reason 
why Disney is my family's favorite place to go on vacation!”

Ditto

Where do people get this stuff. This was posted on another board.

How do you know when the next bus is coming? Has Disney implemented a text based system where you text your cell phone number to a certain number and it texts you with the arrival time of the next bus?

The buses are supposed to show up about every 20 minutes, what else do you need to know? 

If they had such a system or had bus arrival monitors at all the bus stops, the vast majority of the time, it would show a bus arriving in 20 minutes or less.

I can see you raising your eyebrows and saying, really. Yes, really, that's the reality. I didn't say always though. That being the case, why would Disney spend a ton of money on systems that tell you what you already know or that would benefit a small percentage of people whose bus is actually late?

Also all bets are off on a bus arrival system being able to work during opening and closing times because of how buses are dispatched during those times.

BTW, if a bus hasn't arrived within about 20 minutes, I can just about guarantee that it will arrive 10 minutes after that.

Where do people get this stuff. This was posted on another board.

How do you know when the next bus is coming? Has Disney implemented a text based system where you text your cell phone number to a certain number and it texts you with the arrival time of the next bus?

The buses are supposed to show up about every 20 minutes, what else do you need to know? 

If they had such a system or had bus arrival monitors at all the bus stops, the vast majority of the time, it would show a bus arriving in 20 minutes or less.

I can see you raising your eyebrows and saying, really. Yes, really, that's the reality. I didn't say always though. That being the case, why would Disney spend a ton of money on systems that tell you what you already know or that would benefit a small percentage of people whose bus is actually late?

Also all bets are off on a bus arrival system being able to work during opening and closing times because of how buses are dispatched during those times.

BTW, if a bus hasn't arrived within about 20 minutes, I can just about guarantee that it will arrive 10 minutes after that.

Where do people get this stuff?

The public bus systems in most major cities provide this information to their customers. Actually, nobody has to text anything.  There's a phone app that shows where the bus is in real time and when it will arrive. Why can't Disney do that? 

Because it would cost them a lot of money, and not bring any return.   Disney isn't providing public transportation. If they can't make a buck from it, it isn't going to happen.

TCD

Where do people get this stuff?

The public bus systems in most major cities provide this information to their customers. Actually, nobody has to text anything.  There's a phone app that shows where the bus is in real time and when it will arrive. Why can't Disney do that? 

Because it would cost them a lot of money, and not bring any return.   Disney isn't providing public transportation. If they can't make a buck from it, it isn't going to happen.

TCD

To expand on the where do people get this stuff comment, I'm referring to where people get this stuff as in wanting and expecting Disney to do it.

I'm also well aware of the arrival notification systems that are in use and what is possible.

Disney can do that, has done that, and may do that on a limited basis in the future. From the feedback I've heard, it wasn't all that useful because of the nature of the WDW bus operating procedures.

Unlike the bus systems in major cities that you alluded to, and as you well know, Disney buses don't run on schedules. It's a very fluid and ever changing process. It changes from hour to hour and day to day. It would be like herding cats.

Of course it has to do with money. Unlike, again, major cities around the US, Disney doesn't get money from the gov't. to pay for anything. You will have to pay for it. If that's ok with you, write them a nice letter saying that you don't mind paying more to come to WDW and to implement a computerized bus arrival system. While you're at it, tell them you'd like them to expand the monorail so that they can get rid of the buses altogether.

I think this is twice in one week that I am going to agree with you, Lou.

Disney's transportation system is not like a public transportation system where buses run set routes.  Providing real time information to guests about bus arrival times would be very difficult and probably very confusing.  The system in place works well enough.

TCD

I think this is twice in one week that I am going to agree with you, Lou.

I think this is yet another sign of the apocalypse.

I'm going shopping for a locust-resistant suit this afternoon.

It is pretty amazing that people expect Disney to anticipate and meet every possible need they can dream up in their heads.

Unlike the bus systems in major cities that you alluded to, and as you well know, Disney buses don't run on schedules. It's a very fluid and ever changing process. It changes from hour to hour and day to day. It would be like herding cats cinnamon rolls.

I changed your post.  Not to make it accurate, or even to make any sense.  Just to tick you off.