WDW Transportation (yes, even the Monorails)

Of least importance is that one of the Monofails has an "Iron Man 3" wrap, how exciting is that?

The Market Place bus area was reopened after repaving and reconfiguration of some of the bus stops.

The Animal Kingdom bus area has a wall up where two additional bus stops are being added. With the articulated buses coming online, additional spaces were needed.

The bus area at TTC makeover is coming along nicely. When completed, the paved area will look completely different from what it was and also different from all the other bus hubs. The makeover was long overdue. One feature that's not going over too well with the WDW bus drivers is that if you have to drop off a bus during the day, you have to back it in and that's not a good idea if there are buses already parked there. We're hoping that it's just temporary and the practice will be done away with when the rest of the lot reopens.

The articulated buses that are going into service sometime this year will be NovaBus and New Flyer models. Neither of which comes close to having any style at all.

The two buses that have been seen traveling around WDW with a new paint scheme are going over like a lead balloon.

More of the new 3 point semi-automatic scooter/wheel chair securing systems are appearing on buses. The new buses have them and don't have to be converted.

Construction of the third bus loop at MK has not begun.

The WDW Bus Transportation department has decided, even though I raised several objections, to begin training a prominent member of Fort Fiends.Net.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All of the above. As for testing, Disney has tested electric and hybrid buses, but both have failed miserably and they've settled on the diesel Gillig bus as their primary bus and that's all they've b

Actually it's quite simple. I have two names, my given name, which I never use and a name kinda, sorta, based on that name which was given to me by US Immigration. They don't change names anymore as t

I changed your post.  Not to make it accurate, or even to make any sense.  Just to tick you off. 

Any chance you or TJ will be driving one of the articulated buses?

No chance. Only full time drivers will be trained to drive the articulated buses.

Also will they be run a designated route or will they run just like the other buses?

They will run back and forth to the values and will do the same route as the Express monorail when needed.

How do they decide which bus to buy? Testing? Input from mechanics? Drivers?

All of the above.

As for testing, Disney has tested electric and hybrid buses, but both have failed miserably and they've settled on the diesel Gillig bus as their primary bus and that's all they've bought since I've been there.

The older RTS high floor buses are being retired due to emission and age issues. There are not that many left.

The other model is the Novabus but Disney hasn't purchased any since the initial purchasel because they are crap. Mechanics hate them and most drivers don't care for them.

Because Gillig doesn't make an articulated bus, Disney did decide to buy a few of the Novabus articulated buses.

This is a true story.

While at the transportation headquarters one day, I was standing in the hallway reading an announcement on the bulletin board regarding a major overhaul regarding driver operational procedures. As I'm reading, this guy who I didn't know, comes up beside me and asks, how do you think the changes will go? I told him that even though the drivers were all trained on the changes, we were unsure because of the scope of the changes which were being implemented in just a few days. He said, really, and asked me if I had any ideas on how to make the transition go smoother. I mentioned that a quick reference cheat sheet on all the buses would be a big help.

He also told me that they were going to increase the fleet substantially and what bus did I think they should buy. I told him with a doubt that the Gillig bus was the better bus by far. He said thanks and walked away. I later found out that he was the head of WDW transportation.

There were cheat sheets on all the buses and they did buy a ton of Gillig buses which continues today.

Did he do those things based on our conversation? I believe the cheat sheet on the buses, as he was surprised when I mentioned it to him, was done because of our chat. As for the buses, don't know, but my feedback may have reinforced his thinking.

Lou, you probably did help him make up his mind. I usually ask my staff what they think, especially when I am undecided about an issue. Every once in a while i get an answer I hadn't thought of and I put it to use. Way to go Lou. Lou for El Presidente. I hear a South American country needs one.

Wow... what a great story. And it is funny that people you meet and talk with turn out to be important. I applaud him for ASKING. Many managers would never ask. At least he realizes that he needs input from the people closest to the problems. Every time I watch Undercover Boss, the biggest improvement or the breakthrough for the CEO comes at the hands of a front line person. And Lou it does explain why Disney Transportation can pull off moving such a mass of humanity. Sadly, other parts of WDW, do not apply these principles. Thanks for answering !

All of the above.

As for testing, Disney has tested electric and hybrid buses, but both have failed miserably and they've settled on the diesel Gillig bus as their primary bus and that's all they've bought since I've been there.

Was it true that the Designline Hybrid caught fire?

I also wouldn't mind the Gillig's as much if they had forward facing seats, or if they bought the BRT model but I can imagine it will cost considerably more.

Was it true that the Designline Hybrid caught fire?

Don't know, I only saw it on a flat ready to be sent back. It's not that hybrids don't work, it's that they won't work at WDW.

I also wouldn't mind the Gillig's as much if they had forward facing seats,

The Gilligs do have a few forward facing seats....in the back.

Construction of the 3rd bus loop at MK finally begins next week. It's been a long time coming.

Disney is saying that the additional bus loop is being added to help bus operations at MK operate more efficiently, but they do have three spare bus stops as it is.

They also say that the expansion is necessary to handle the increased bus traffic due to additional resorts and to also accommodate the longer articulated buses that have been ordered. Again, there are three bus stops that could be used for that purpose. It will be nice to have the extra room but it didn't appear to be vital. I would have extended and refurbished the existing bus stops as they really need it, much like what's being done at AK.

Construction work will take place during the day so look for more trucks in the area if you happen to be driving through there.

3rdbusloop_zpsea981bde.jpg

Another bus stop that buses haven't been stopping at for a while will reopen Sunday the 17th.

Blizzard Beach reopens after it's annual refurb. Anything new in the water park, nope, but driving in will look a little different because the roadways and bus stops have been repaved.

For those of you that insist on using the buses, there has been a change in the Blizzard Beach, Winter Summerland bus service. This change mainly affects WS golfers after BB closes as well as off property BB guests that get dropped off at one of the parks.

Previously, you would need to go to a resort and catch the AK/BB bus or to Epcot and take the Coronado Springs bus which continued to BB/WS after stopping at CS.

The new method is to catch a bus at any hub to Coronado Springs, get off and take the dedicated BB/WS bus from CS.

As I posted last week, here it is, the latest advertising sticker that has been stuck onto a monorail. At least that way they serve a useful purpose as a moving billboard. I think it's ugly and makes the monorail look un-cool-ish.

MR_zps3e94e888.jpg

My favorite monorail wrap so far. They should sell it in the gift shops.