Annual Pass conversion to RFID Cards

We have these scanners at work and I can guarantee it doesn't take fingerprints. It actually measures the distance between the lines in your fingerprints and then uses a mathematical formula to create a number. .

Disney uses optical scanners/readers so there is no measuring in that type of system. As the name implies it's optical, but it's not photographic.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You may like it, the red one will go with his eyes.

This is our view as we entered the Odyssey Center         Then we were ushered over to a table that had 4 people sitting behind it to help 4 different families (there were 5 or so tables set up with

I don't see why they wouldn't let you keep the paper pass. It assume it will be deactivated, so I don't know why they would care if you wanted to keep it for sentimental reasons. TCD

I got my email yesterday. My family wants to get the new cards, so we will check out what's in the Odyssey building in about a week and a half. I look forward to not standing in the turnstile lines. Not sure what else the card will get us for now.

OK, I read that you can't get the new passes at the ticket windows.

What about folks buying new APs. Do they get paper at the ticket windows, then have to go to Epcot to get the RFID? or do they have the ability to print new ones at the ticket windows.

The Disney finger scanners do read your finger print, but they do not store all of that data. They pick a number of distinct points and measure the distance between those points. The point locations and the distances are stored as a formula describing the unique shape and size. This is what is compared against next time and why the system can be fooled.

The Disney finger scanners do read your finger print, but they do not store all of that data. They pick a number of distinct points and measure the distance between those points. The point locations and the distances are stored as a formula describing the unique shape and size. This is what is compared against next time and why the system can be fooled.

I don't know where you got your info, but that's not what I heard during the recent Town Hall information meetings held to discuss the NextGen technology program.

The new system in place is an optical system and doesn't measure anything.

I don't know where you got your info, but that's not what I heard during the recent Town Hall information meetings held to discuss the NextGen technology program.

The new system in place is an optical system and doesn't measure anything.

That's the info I remember offered when the finger scanners were put into place.

We have RFID security at work and have looked into biometrics for an added layer of security. The two types of biometric finger widely used today are optical and capacitive.

Optical systems have a tiny ccd in the sensor than uses IR LED's to illuminate the print and then take a picture of it. If the picture is clear, and the lines are distinctive it will then look at several points on the print and measure the distances. The small sampling is called a minutiae sample. Generally, it will take several minutiae samples. It uses an algorithm to find the points and generate the data. Next time you scan your finger a new image is generated and new minutiae samples are taken using the same algorigthm. If a few of the minutiae samples are the same it confirms a match. For these simple scanners the whole print is not stored. It would be too data and processor intensive.

The capacitve system uses a capacitive panel, like a smartphone screen. It passes a small current through the glass and into the finger. Where the fingerprint ridges are touching the glass the conducitivity is higher than the air gaps where the valleys are located. It maps these high and low conductivity areas and looks for patterns using the same type of algorithm. The rest of the process is the same as the optical system.

To say that either system doesn't measure anything is false info. I think you have been given bad info.

That's the info I remember offered when the finger scanners were put into place.

We have RFID security at work and have looked into biometrics for an added layer of security. The two types of biometric finger widely used today are optical and capacitive.

Optical systems have a tiny ccd in the sensor than uses IR LED's to illuminate the print and then take a picture of it. If the picture is clear, and the lines are distinctive it will then look at several points on the print and measure the distances. The small sampling is called a minutiae sample. Generally, it will take several minutiae samples. It uses an algorithm to find the points and generate the data. Next time you scan your finger a new image is generated and new minutiae samples are taken using the same algorigthm. If a few of the minutiae samples are the same it confirms a match. For these simple scanners the whole print is not stored. It would be too data and processor intensive.

The capacitve system uses a capacitive panel, like a smartphone screen. It passes a small current through the glass and into the finger. Where the fingerprint ridges are touching the glass the conducitivity is higher than the air gaps where the valleys are located. It maps these high and low conductivity areas and looks for patterns using the same type of algorithm. The rest of the process is the same as the optical system.

To say that either system doesn't measure anything is false info. I think you have been given bad info.

Very impressive post.

I will email the person that gave us the info and try to get a definitive answer.

Like they're going to tell you.

This whole thing is clearly a conspiracy and cover up by Disney.

Their goal is to have a fingerprint and as much personal data as possible from every guest.

Why?

You don't want to know.

TCD

• 4 weeks later...

I will email the person that gave us the info and try to get a definitive answer.

Like they're going to tell you.

Just a follow up on the discussion about what type of finger scanners are being used at the park entrances.

And surprise TCD, Mr. Skeptical, they did respond.

I contacted the person in charge of overseeing the new park entry system and who I knew would surely know what type of finger scanning system is currently being used. What a coincidence, he's also the guy in the recent article that appeared in the CM magazine Eyes & Ears which I've included.

In his response to my email, see emails below, he writes that the finger scanners are of the optical design.

ee_eng_44-012_zps8314a7d0.jpg

ScannerEmail_zps02742a7d.jpg

Lou, thanks for posting the email.

But, the questions were whether or not the system measured anything and whether or not whatever was measured is stored.  Scot didn't answer either question.

All Scot says is that it uses biometric technology (how many times do we need to hear that?).  And he repeats the big lie that no personal information is stored. Really?  Then what's the point?  Of course something is stored.  Some kind of measurement of the fingerprint is what is stored.  That's not personal information?

Thanks for the Eyes and Ears article too.  It shows how delusional Scot is. I predict Scot will be looking for a job within the next year.

TCD

I wrote that the system didn't measure anything, being more specific, meaning distance wise. Optical finger scanners don't measure distances. They are optical and operate by using small lasers to establish light levels in a number of points on the fingerprint image and using an algorithm to arrive at a distinct number for it. If he had said that the scanners were of the capacitance design, that would change things.

So he did answer the question by confirming, as I had been told, that they were using optical scanners.

I know you don't want to hear it, but based on the fact that this is the case, there is no fingerprint image being stored or measurements of your fingerprints being stored, just a number that corresponds to a handful of light levels on your fingerprints. It would be meaningless info even if someone got a hold of it. Now give it up, you're safe.

I wrote that the system didn't measure anything, being more specific, meaning distance wise. Optical finger scanners don't measure distances. They are optical and operate by using small lasers to establish light levels in a number of points on the fingerprint image and using an algorithm to arrive at a distinct number for it. If he had said that the scanners were of the capacitance design, that would change things.

So he did answer the question by confirming, as I had been told, that they were using optical scanners.

I know you don't want to hear it, but based on the fact that this is the case, there is no fingerprint image being stored or measurements of your fingerprints being stored, just a number that corresponds to a handful of light levels on your fingerprints. It would be meaningless info even if someone got a hold of it. Now give it up, you're safe.

I believe that they are not storing fingerprint images.

But, they keep falling over themselves saying they are not storing personal information.

That is baloney.

And you know it.

I personally don't care what information they store.  But, it's hilarious to read the doublespeak they keep saying denying that they are measuring anything or storing anything.

And if Scot thinks the average guest enjoys the new mob scenes occuring at those stupid new scanners, and guests being accosted by CM's trying to maintain order, he's one of the biggest idiots to work for Disney in quite a while.  And that is saying something.

TCD

We were told in April current passholders would be able to convert their cards "somewhere in EPCOT, near Mexico".  When we were in the area we walked over to Mexico, but there was nothing concerning the conversion there, nor could any CM tell us where it was.  (We did eat supper there, and it was pretty good.)  On the way out, we passed a sign pointing out toward the netherlands, indicating we should go that way.  We didn't since it was late.  But we were also told by a CM (or vendor) near that sign we could return during normal business hours or wait until (I believe) late May, when we could do the conversion at any park Guest Relations window.  Or we could continue to use the paper until it expires.

Personally I'm not looking forward to the bracelets.  Who needs a wide bikini line on their wrist?  Our son does not like anything on his arm.  Our Daughter cannot reach the fingerprint thingamajig....And won't try.

Also when you convert (sounds like a religious experience), does each person have to appear with a valid ID?  Our kids don't have an ID, and didn't need one for Mom to purchase the original ticklets.

And we don't have smartphones, tablets, etc.

Judy, Judy, Judy, that was my Cary Grant impersonation, it sounds like you haven't read my every word. MagicBands will be optional. You won't have to use them if you don't want to.

And the basic difference between the RFID enabled AP passes and the paper AP passes is the system that reads them.

We were told in April current passholders would be able to convert their cards "somewhere in EPCOT, near Mexico".  When we were in the area we walked over to Mexico, but there was nothing concerning the conversion there, nor could any CM tell us where it was.  (We did eat supper there, and it was pretty good.)  On the way out, we passed a sign pointing out toward the netherlands, indicating we should go that way.  We didn't since it was late.  But we were also told by a CM (or vendor) near that sign we could return during normal business hours or wait until (I believe) late May, when we could do the conversion at any park Guest Relations window.  Or we could continue to use the paper until it expires.

Personally I'm not looking forward to the bracelets.  Who needs a wide bikini line on their wrist?  Our son does not like anything on his arm.  Our Daughter cannot reach the fingerprint thingamajig....And won't try.

Also when you convert (sounds like a religious experience), does each person have to appear with a valid ID?  Our kids don't have an ID, and didn't need one for Mom to purchase the original ticklets. As for the ID, I'm sure as long as the parents have theirs all will be fine.

And we don't have smartphones, tablets, etc.

The old Oddesy restaurant is the location for getting the new passes. Same building where the first aid station is. The new finger readers are also mounted lower.

• 4 weeks later...

The passholder conversion center at the old Odyssey restaurant at Epcot closed on May 19.

Annual passholders wishing to convert their old APs to the new RFID enabled cards may now do so at any Vacation Planning or Guest Relations locations in the theme parks or Downtown Disney.

The passholder conversion center at the old Odyssey restaurant at Epcot closed on May 19.

Annual passholders wishing to convert their old APs to the new RFID enabled cards may now do so at any Vacation Planning or Guest Relations locations in the theme parks or Downtown Disney.

RAGLAN ROAD VISIT!!