ok, I am stressing out on how much it cost for the dining plan.  I am cheap, frugile, etc.  I also have a husband that likes to order the most expensive items on the menu, tea, and dessert.  We are staying for at least 9 nights.  We are a family of 2 adults and a 9y/o son.  This is our first trip to WDW.  

I eliminated the park hopper, per feedback  a few weeks ago, but didn't get responses for dining plan.  I know we will eat in the trailer for breakfast most days.  I have no problem packing snacks, sandwiches, etc to brig in the park.  I am planning on buying brita water bottles for the parks.

We are going to Ohana, Kona, Whispering ??, Biergarten, Sci-Fri, Tusker House, Hoop de doo,Liberty Tree, just to name a few of the places we are considering eating at.  Based on these restaurants that I think we would love to enjoy, what do you think. 

My husband is really looking forward to the dining plan, but I am just stressed over the price.  I feel like it is way too much money.  I would get the dining plan for sure if I were in a resort, but we are going to be in our trailer.

Thanks for the feedback, have to finalize with the travel agent by May 5th, so looking for experienced people to help.

Liz

The dining plan is worth it for some folks, and not for others - for lots of reasons. 

Here's a fairly recent thread with some info that might help you decide...

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/3884-an-assessment-of-the-disney-dining-plan/?hl=%2Bdining+%2Bplan#entry245578

One way to figure out if it is right for you is to look at the menu's for the restaurants you are thinking about with your husband and make some mock decisions about what you would order. They have prices listed on http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm. Keep a running total as you figure it out. Remember with regular Dining plan you will get 1 Table Service, 1 Counter Service, 1 snack all per person per night and 1 resort refilleable mug per person. 

Take that total and write it down. 

Now add up just the Table service meals at the restaurants you listed and write that down. Add it to you budget for food you would buy. 

Compare those prices and see which one works best. 

It take a little work but it may be the best way to see if it is right for you money wise. 

We have never done the dinning plan. I always figure $50.00 a day for food on our trip and it comes out pretty close. One day we might spend $75 but the next only $20 and the day after $40 and so on. I have wanted to try the dinning plan, but with staying in the camper the numbers just don't work for the 3 of us.

My two cents...

We've done with and without. When we did use it we did like Jason suggested and decided to eat at a few of the more expensive restaraunts that we usually don't eat at. Example. If you eat at the Crystal palace for breakfast save your TS credit. you might be better paying for it out of pocket and use your TS credit for Biergarten dinner.

Also you can use your snack credits for some pretty good "lunches". We also had our FIL with us but he was on a separate reservation and didn't have dining. We bought him a few snacks and CS meals with our dining and we still had snack credits left over.

S if you plan it right its worth it but you have to plan.

Tip: if you have snack credits left go to the gift shop (meadows) and get some snacks there for your way home. Don't let them go to waste.

Liz-

So I can give you a solid answer, how much is it going to cost you to add the dining plan for you 9+ night trip?

If you are serious about going to all the places you listed, you are looking at a lot of money if you pay out of pocket.  A lot.  But, the dining plan for 9 nights will probably be even more than that.

If you are cheap, frugal, etc., you are going to need to scale back those plans. Your DH could probably survive with eating at the RV for some of those 9 nights, and splurging at some of those restaurants you named on the others.

TCD

FWIW the spreadsheet/calculator referenced in the link above seems to give you the ability to get a pretty good idea of what you'll spend on the DDP vs paying out-of-pocket.

I've crunched the numbers for us in the past and for us, the dining plan costs more because we would eat differently if we're not on it - i.e., we usually order an app or 2, sometimes split and entree and rarely order dessert.

If you're crunching the numbers, don't forget that on top of the dining plan cost you'll have to pay out-of-pocket for your gratuities on table service meals (and any adult beverages).  That alone can add up, especially if you think you'll be inclined to order higher priced menu items.

FWIW the spreadsheet/calculator referenced in the link above seems to give you the ability to get a pretty good idea of what you'll spend on the DDP vs paying out-of-pocket.

I know I can do my own calculations and guesstimates.  But, since CypressAggie/Liz is asking for her specific trip, I'd like to know what she has been quoted for adding the DDP for the length of her trip (and that is how it works right- you can't just add if for a few days- it's all the days or none).  If she will provide the number,  then it will be easy to weigh in on whether or not it is worth it for her trip and her family.

TCD

One thing to consider too is that your son if your son is 9 on the trip he will have to order off the kids menu if you go with the dining plan. You need to consider what kinds of foods he would most likely want to order. By around age 9 my son was becoming more adventurous with trying new foods. He would have hated being forced to order from a kids menu.

One thing to consider too is that your son if your son is 9 on the trip he will have to order off the kids menu if you go with the dining plan. You need to consider what kinds of foods he would most likely want to order. By around age 9 my son was becoming more adventurous with trying new foods. He would have hated being forced to order from a kids menu.

When our kids were considered "kids" we did a lot of buffet meals and therefore it didn't limit them to the kids menu.  The last time we did the meal plan our oldest was paid as an adult but we let the kids take turns who got the adult meal.  My oldest always ate from the kids menu.  For us it was worth it.  Once we get to the parks we don't leave.  Having to go back to the site to eat would have been failure for my husband LOL!  We love the meal plan, oops loved it...when they were all 9 and under.  Now 7 as adults It will be a long time until we do it again.

Can you break your reservation in 2?  Make first or second half on the dining plan and the other half back at the site with snacks in the park.

When our kids were considered "kids" we did a lot of buffet meals and therefore it didn't limit them to the kids menu.  The last time we did the meal plan our oldest was paid as an adult but we let the kids take turns who got the adult meal.  My oldest always ate from the kids menu.  For us it was worth it.  Once we get to the parks we don't leave.  Having to go back to the site to eat would have been failure for my husband LOL!  We love the meal plan, oops loved it...when they were all 9 and under.  Now 7 as adults It will be a long time until we do it again.

Can you break your reservation in 2?  Make first or second half on the dining plan and the other half back at the site with snacks in the park.

The dining plan is definitely an all or nothing length of stay thing. The only way you could do that is to have 2 separate reservations, which of course runs the risk of having to move site. 

The dining plan is definitely an all or nothing length of stay thing. The only way you could do that is to have 2 separate reservations, which of course runs the risk of having to move site. 

We've done the 2 separate reservations thing before (several times for other reasons) and never had to move - although they'll always tell you there's a chance when you book it. You just need to be sure to book the same level of site for both (Partial, Preferred, Full, Premium) and then have them linked.

You will have to check out/check back in on the changeover day from one reservation to the next, and they'll issue you new KTTWs and parking passes.

But one thing to remember if you break your stay into 2 reservations to do this is that the dining credits start/expire with whatever reservation you attach them to, they cannot be spread out over the length of your entire stay.

In other words, if you have 4 days with the dining plan then 5 days without, you will have to use up your dining credits by midnight on the "checkout" day for that first reservation.  You can't carry any over to the following days.

On the flip side, if your first reservation is without the dining plan, you won't be able to use any of those credits until the first day of the reservation they're attached to.

The price for the meals you are planning will be high.....both out of pocket or dining plan for 9 days.   Your restaurant choices include several buffets or all you can eat meals.   These are great choices!  However,  for us eating big heavy meals everyday would get old.   Our stomachs would need a break with lighter food.   For me,  I'd make reservations at many of the restaurants you chose but I'd do it out of pocket.   Some days you could eat light----maybe breakfast and a dinner of hot dogs or burgers at the RV or chicken take out dinner from Trails Inn at night.  This not only would lighten up your stomach but also the cost of eating at Disney. If paying out of pocket you have the option to cancel reservations and not be out of money( unless they are prepaid of course )

You know your family best....(big eaters daily? or not? )  Good luck with your decision!

Check out this thread. It might help.

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/3884-an-assessment-of-the-disney-dining-plan/?hl=+dining++plan#entry245578

I only get the dining plan when it's free.

There is no such thing as a free dining plan.

There is no way any dining plan is worth the money. It is a brilliant marketing scheme that Disney pencil pushers came up with to convince people to part with their money while eating lousy overpriced park food.

There is no such thing as a free dining plan.

There is no way any dining plan is worth the money. It is a brilliant marketing scheme that Disney pencil pushers came up with to convince people to part with their money while eating lousy overpriced park food.

If you had had my wife's cooking you wouldn't think it was lousy park food. I agree with the rest though.

Thanks y'all, I am thinking we are going to not get the dining plan.  I think we are going to eat at the park some, but limit it to like $60/day. I think that staying in the rv will allow us to eat before we go to the park, take snacks and sandwiches, etc with s into the park.  I just can't see spending $1450 on a dining plan for 10 days, just ridiculous to me, just saying.

I know someone said to shorten the trip, but my husband has MS, he has to take things a bit slower, so we planned on staying longer, so we don't have to do so much everyday.  

I agree that the meal plan is lots of food.  We like toe at nice meals, but don't think we would be into eating a TS and Cs meal each day.  I think limiting the amount we spend in the park each day to $50 or $75 will be good.  

I do like the idea of breaking up the trip, so I will talk with the travel agent.  

Y'all are so helpful, thanks.

Liz

Thanks y'all, I am thinking we are going to not get the dining plan.  I think we are going to eat at the park some, but limit it to like $60/day. I think that staying in the rv will allow us to eat before we go to the park, take snacks and sandwiches, etc with s into the park.  I just can't see spending $1450 on a dining plan for 10 days, just ridiculous to me, just saying.

I know someone said to shorten the trip, but my husband has MS, he has to take things a bit slower, so we planned on staying longer, so we don't have to do so much everyday.  

I agree that the meal plan is lots of food.  We like toe at nice meals, but don't think we would be into eating a TS and Cs meal each day.  I think limiting the amount we spend in the park each day to $50 or $75 will be good.  

I do like the idea of breaking up the trip, so I will talk with the travel agent.  

Y'all are so helpful, thanks.

Liz

I think you made a good choice. When we go we normally stay 2 weeks (when you drive from Texas you stay as long as you can) and that's why the dinning plan just cost to much.